As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn in Hell, Jack Chick

1151617181921»

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Fae are the most "alien" species typically seen in fantasy

Hoping they aren't eventually reduced into weird magical humans - there's not enough weird shit in popular fantasy

The Fae are a really big part of the Dresden Files books, and I love them.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The Fae are great tools in roleplaying games where their shtick is "creatures of story" - if you're stuck for a plot, just dump your characters in a classic fable and tell them that they've fallen into the Faerie realm where this story plays out forever.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Also Changeling True Fae and their cousins from Exalted.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I always love it when you have Fae or Fae like creatures totally outside of the morality of humanity. Especially given their allegorical relation to so many ephemeral things. Be it from something more concrete like nature or more abstract as say the concept of luck.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The fae exist to remind men that they are just residents of the earth, not lords of it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Of course, you often can get stories where humans remind fae that neither are they.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    the fae are just magical assholes

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Years ago I started a Photoshop competition and the theme was Chick tracts

What I learned was that there is no way to make a Chick tract funnier than they already are

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

And we're non-magical assholes

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

vote trump

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

vote trump

Don't blame me, I voted for Peaseblossom.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Years ago I started a Photoshop competition and the theme was Chick tracts

What I learned was that there is no way to make a Chick tract funnier than they already are

That's when you just make everyone cross-eyed.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

vote trump

Don't blame me, I voted for Peaseblossom.

Pease 'low energy' blossom?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    If I kill a Fae what's to stop me from becoming a god?

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Nasty human.

15690652.jpg?143828991324438

• Options
    Oh, there's comics?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    Nasty human.

15690652.jpg?143828991324438

I unironically love those books, even though currently the story has gone full batshit.

edit: maybe it's more fair to say that the story went full batshit in Changes and has stayed that way for several books.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    Oh, there's comics?

First three books or so, plus four completely new stories written by Jim for the comics.

Edit
    Just checked, it's the first two and the new stories are Wildcard, Downtown, Welcome to the Jungle, Ghoul Goblin, and War Cry

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    I've recently finished the first two books. Looking forward to more. Hope I still enjoy it after the described turn to batshit.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I've recently finished the first two books. Looking forward to more. Hope I still enjoy it after the described turn to batshit.

Oh, it's batshit in the best possible way. I actually think the most recent book (Skin Game) is probably the best of all of them. But the stakes are definitely, uh, higher than what's going on in Storm Front or Fool Moon.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Oh, it's batshit in the best possible way. I actually think the most recent book (Skin Game) is probably the best of all of them. But the stakes are definitely, uh, higher than what's going on in Storm Front or Fool Moon.

It helps that he gets much better about writing them.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    puck is a necessary part of Berserk and people who don't like him are wrong

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

It helps that he gets much better about writing them.

It's generally agreed (at least as far as I've seen) that the first three books in the series are the weakest.
    After those, Butcher really finds his feet with Dresden and they get a lot more entertaining.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    ya'll should check out The Laundry Files too

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Of course, you often can get stories where humans remind fae that neither are they.

This is also a recurring staple of the Dresden Files.

• Options
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    If I kill a Fae what's to stop me from becoming a god?

taxes

• Options
    ya'll should check out The Laundry Files too

Seconding this. Super great series.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    8rp5r5I.png

Jesus has one weird trick that Satan doesn't want you to know!

Demons hate Him!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I really hate the "she's not evil, just misunderstood" retcons (see also Wicked, the book, not the musical). Incidentally, they tend to a) take away the agency of the character, and b) make their tragic backstory due to rape, death of a lover, or something else asinine that pushes the supposedly delicate emotional state of women into craaaaazy~ behaaaviourrrr~

I actually enjoyed the Snow White And Huntsman take on this trope, where the Villain does have a horrible reason for being evil. And Snow White makes an offer of redemption, and the Witch goes, "#$!% that noise" and she gets killed off anyway, because of course, she's the evil witch queen you idiots. It's very difficult for a life spent doing evil to come back from that abyss, and it should be a rare thing in fiction. That redemption arc has to be earned.

But yeah, "they were just misunderstood!" is a big stupid thing in Vampire stories too. Which is why I like Hellsing Ultimate so much as an action horror story. The villains are cr-cr-crazy evil, and the good guys are hardline fanatics whose saving grace is that they're true to their beliefs.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    8rp5r5I.png

Jesus has one weird trick that Satan doesn't want you to know!

Demons hate Him!

I'm reminded of the "Welcome to our YouTube channel" video Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort were using for a while, a while back.

It was of the two of them sitting in a room talking to the viewer about what Comfort called "Satan's best-kept secret."

Which means Satan is EXTREMELY bad at keeping them, apparently.

Goatmon on

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    puck is a necessary part of Berserk and people who don't like him are wrong

I mean, he explains it to the reader in one of the volumes.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!