As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oh shit, nice! Though, what would be the benefit of fusing my character with just Vegeta or whoever over doing a 5-way? I assume the normal fusion doesn't require the ultra-meter.

It's not a move.

It's an upgrade done outside of battle.

You turn two characters into one character who can learn any of the special moves the component characters have learned and has better stats.

I fused my main character (B rank) with Oats (a recruitable character A rank) into a S rank character. To fight Cell.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Nintendo Store put these exclusive pokemon cover plates up!
    Charizard Red
    Blastoise Blue

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Those links don't work for me.

• Options
    Well it was there. I guess they sold out already.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I would've picked up that charizard one, but I think putting a cover on my Galaxy n3DS would be a sin or something... :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I would've picked up that charizard one, but I think putting a cover on my Galaxy n3DS would be a sin or something... :P

You can't put these kind of cover plates on an XL anyway.

• Options
    Well then... even better that I didn't buy it!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Guys I may be late coming into this. I just read that Picross 3d part two came out a few months ago on the 3ds. But i can't find it listed on amazon or gamestop. Is it Japanese only or online shop only? Pls say online shop only, I'll have it just in time for my flight home for the holidays!

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    eShop only

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Awesome!
    Then again the first one is the only puzzle game that has given me nightmares. (Not scary but a few times my brain would get stuck repeating a dream that im trying to solve a picross puzzle and I always felt exhausted the day after).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Awesome!
    Then again the first one is the only puzzle game that has given me nightmares. (Not scary but a few times my brain would get stuck repeating a dream that im trying to solve a picross puzzle and I always felt exhausted the day after).

I've been on the very last puzzle for about an hour in-game time and over the last few days IRL, nearly done with my perfect hard run of the game. I quit when I make a mistake. None of the others took more than 30 minutes, and this last one isn't particularly difficult, I just don't want the ride to end. I suspect I'll just start the second blank profile once done. Any word on a third 3D Picross yet?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I had the most DBZ fight ever in Dragonball Fusions! Progress has been slow for me because I can't help but fight everyone I run into, so I'm only on the third area still. There's a side quest to recruit Yamcha if you help him get revenge on the Saibamen. 5v5 my team against 5 Saibamen, and those fuckers were tough... my weakest team member (Fuckin Krillin...) was 4 levels higher than their strongest team member, but they still whupped on us pretty good.

We won, but everyone was on less than half HP and DUN DUN DUN! The super king of Saibamen shows up... and you immediately have to fight him without a chance to heal. And reinforcements will keep showing up until you beat the leader...! Last ditch effort, I pulled out the 5-way fusion, beat on the enemies and targeted the leader with the big energy attack. Smoke clears, and the leader isn't KO'd! I imagined all my characters stunned and doing that stupid long "Gah... ah.... ah" thing.

Got wailed on a bunch, my main character got knocked out, and things were looking bleak. Cued up a kamehameha from Krillin, and Trunks and Goten hopped in for a support attack. The combined effort was enough to just finish off the leader. Victory! I felt like I just sat through the Frieza Saga or something...

This game is so great!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy cow! I just saw a new Nintendo 3ds black Super Mario edition in the wild!

At... Meijer...

For... $200...

Yeaaah. Nope. It is also the first portable console from Nintendo that I have seen on shelves since Black Friday.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, from what I've heard 3DSes sold like crazy last month.

Too bad Nintendo couldn't have ginned up this kind of halo effect much earlier in the system's life.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I think there's something magical about a handheld under $100. That's why the 2DS was made. And sadly, it's going to be a big issue for the Switch.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, from what I've heard 3DSes sold like crazy last month.

Too bad Nintendo couldn't have ginned up this kind of halo effect much earlier in the system's life.

Yeah but it's a different niche. I would absolutely encourage someone to pick up a $100 3DS even if they were already getting a Switch. Even if they never made another game it'd still be well worth it.

The switch on the other hand appears to be more of a portable console then a handheld.

• Options
    Dear lord, Kirby Planet Robobot is insanely charming.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I think there's something magical about a handheld under $100. That's why the 2DS was made. And sadly, it's going to be a big issue for the Switch.

I think we might see a reverse DS situation with the Switch, where instead of releasing a larger "premium" system later on, they'll release a smaller "value" system instead.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Hell, I have a N3DSXL, and was tempted to get that.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    The fact that it's a N3DS for $99 seems insane. They don't sell the New 3DS systems by itself, it's always in a bundle of sorts and it's the only way to get a N3DS in this region. Even more so that they had the black model for $99.

I hope my bro appreciates the Christmas gift...

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It's a great deal - we bought the black one for the niece for Christmas with Mario 3d world and the new Style Savvy game since we both loved the DS version. Her DS hinge had cracked (surprise, surprise :?) I think she'll be super surprised and excited to have a handheld again.

Combined the DS and 3DS library is really spectacular - it's really going to suck going back to scratch if the Switch truly is their handheld going forward and ends up with no backwards compatibility.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    That seems like a marketing tactic you might use when it's brand new, not when your brand new console is coming out in three months.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    TDawg wrote: »
    That seems like a marketing tactic you might use when it's brand new, not when your brand new console is coming out in three months.

Almost insulting since the 3DS seems to be selling out all over the place at retail. I'm sure all the annoyed holiday shoppers would've preferred those units made it to store shelves instead.

• Options
    I thought mostly the n3ds black Friday version was selling out. I've seen plenty of xls in stores.

• Options
    Could just be a regional thing. I work retail, and all I'm hearing from shoppers is how they can't find any model at any store. 2DS, 3DS, 3DSxl. Ours never stay on the shelf more than a couple of hours.

• Options
    I haven't been in the stores lately either - I did pretty much 99% of my shopping online this year. It's quite likely they are wiped out and I just hadn't noticed. It's amazing this late in the lifespan they are still having so much demand.

• Options
    From what I've been hearing from game sites and Twitter, all Nintendo portables are just pretty much gone from store shelves.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Super glad I managed to sneak that Mario Edition N3DS during the ten minutes it was up at Wal-Mart. Even more glad they actually fulfilled the order.

Definitely takes getting used to when scaling down from the XL, like viewing a tiny window into another world. A tiny window with better pixel density.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yeah, going from store to store to find Christmas gifts I saw it rather odd the 3DS system shelves were empty.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Wild cynical speculation: Scalpers bought up the Black Friday n3DSes and tried their usual 100+% markup thing, realized there were other 3DSes still on shelves available for cheaper and bought those as well.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Almost insulting since the 3DS seems to be selling out all over the place at retail. I'm sure all the annoyed holiday shoppers would've preferred those units made it to store shelves instead.

To be fair, I don't think 30-50 3DS systems would have made much of a difference though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    My coworker made the mistake of texting me this morning "Hey, bring in your 3DS, I wanna see Dragonball Fusions in action"

Thank god it's a slow week for Christmas, because I've basically just been playing it all day... the only reason I'm not playing right now is that the red battery light just came on :(

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

To be fair, I don't think 30-50 3DS systems would have made much of a difference though.

Oh, I know it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Just saying it's a matter of optics. Like if your friend can't afford to pay you back that $500, but he bought a new game. Sure, not buying that game wouldn't mean he would have been able to pay you back, but it doesn't look like he's being a good friend.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Oh, I know it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Just saying it's a matter of optics. Like if your friend can't afford to pay you back that $500, but he bought a new game. Sure, not buying that game wouldn't mean he would have been able to pay you back, but it doesn't look like he's being a good friend.

God I hate it when people do that shit.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Another sighting today - the galaxy designed N3DS XL, $200, target.

*deep breaths* Must resist.. I want the smaller model to see if it help with hand cramp issues and replacable faceplates.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    From what I've been hearing from game sites and Twitter, all Nintendo portables are just pretty much gone from store shelves.

It's not just gaming sites. My dad asked me about it the other day, and he has zero interest in video games. He was actually the first place I heard about the shortages extended beyond just that black friday n3DS, actually.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was in the store yesterday and they had signs up saying only one 3DS per person due to shortages.