As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Wait, what? Nintendo doesn't have enough hardware stock to meet holiday consumer demand? That's never ever ever happened before!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am surprised at how quickly the mini NES went when the Raspberry Pi exists. Though I'm doubly surprised Nintendo shipped less to the entire USA than they did to Japan.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If turning a Raspberry Pi into an NES emulator involves buying one from a computer parts store, connecting it to a PC, loading a program onto it, and obtaining ROMs from an illicit site that is likely as not actively trying to rootkit your machine, you've already exceeded the average consumer's technical knowledge and patience with the process eighty times over compared to "buy this thing and plug it into your TV".

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    also the raspberry pi doesn't look like an adorable tiny NES, so why even bother?

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Seriously, the games themselves are only half of the equation here.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    If you even know what Raspberry Pi IS you've likely exceeded the average consumer's technical knowledge. I went back to school after getting out of the army and it boggles my mind that most college students have macbooks. I always think to myself "why did you spend $2000 on THAT?!".

I can kind of see why 3ds supplies might be limited. The sales numbers have been falling year over year, and they plan on releasing a pseudo-replacement for it in a few months. Pokemon GO and the recent pokemon release are probably the biggest reasons there is a spike in demand before the holidays. Overproducing right now would be terrible for them because then they could be stuck with a ton of extra units that will never sell. I imagine there are tons of psp and vitas chilling all over the place.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    If you even know what Raspberry Pi IS you've likely exceeded the average consumer's technical knowledge. I went back to school after getting out of the army and it boggles my mind that most college students have macbooks. I always think to myself "why did you spend $2000 on THAT?!".

I can kind of see why 3ds supplies might be limited. The sales numbers have been falling year over year, and they plan on releasing a pseudo-replacement for it in a few months. Pokemon GO and the recent pokemon release are probably the biggest reasons there is a spike in demand before the holidays. Overproducing right now would be terrible for them because then they could be stuck with a ton of extra units that will never sell. I imagine there are tons of psp and vitas chilling all over the place.

There sort of are, but they are still going for retail or pretty close to it if new in box.
    I bought a PSP3000 recently to have on hand for backup in case my questionable homebrew 1000 bit the dust (see previous post re: NES roms) and PSPs are very much in the place right now where you either get it for $25 on Craigslist and it has been dipped in neon blue paint, is missing two buttons, scratches every UMD you put in, and smells faintly of weed OR you buy new old stock for 80% original (if late-stage) retail.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    also the raspberry pi doesn't look like an adorable tiny NES, so why even bother?

My friend just 3D printed an adorable tiny NES to go around his raspberry pi. He still has to paint it and sand it and put the buttons in and such, he's making it for a friend. Also got two garbage NES reproduction controllers from China. He brought it to work for our party yesterday and we played Smash TV and Blades of Steel.

Also I just realized that you could call it a Raspberry PiNES.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Man, not around here. Vitas are rare, and Vitas with a power cord are rarer still. And don't get me started on the memory cards...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Wait, what? Nintendo doesn't have enough hardware stock to meet holiday consumer demand? That's never ever ever happened before!

Nintendo has had a very slow year. They didn't ramp up production for fear of having losses, especially going into next year.

They likely were not expecting Pokémon to break records on the back of GO.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I honestly found the galaxy n3dsxl ugly
    The black n3DS tho is gorgeous and I wish I coulda bought one.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

e9618a29aeb91ae780eeb98371734889a15b16fb488b1da94cbc3be25b8dd542.jpg

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The black n3DS tho is gorgeous and I wish I coulda bought one.

It's true! Taking a sneak peek inside the box to make sure there were no bricks, the black model seems pretty sleek. I adore it much more than my white n3DS. Wish I coulda waited.

And speaking of gifts, I got my brother the black n3ds along with a zelda faceplate, Bravely Default and a 32GB micro card. He said he was interested in the Majora's Mask n3DSXL but with those crazy prices that ain't happening so I did the next best thing I could for a backup surprise gift. Do you guys think I should open up the faceplates and tak it on the n3DS or should it be it's own standalone gift?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

My friend just 3D printed an adorable tiny NES to go around his raspberry pi. He still has to paint it and sand it and put the buttons in and such, he's making it for a friend. Also got two garbage NES reproduction controllers from China. He brought it to work for our party yesterday and we played Smash TV and Blades of Steel.

Also I just realized that you could call it a Raspberry PiNES.

Isn't it "Pi" as in 3.14/Apple ___/Peach ___/Cherry ___?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah it is. Just bein' a goof.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I would get the Galaxy 3ds but that means I would have now 4 3ds' to take care of :rotate:

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Pokémon Sun/Moon New Year's (in Japan) badges in the Nintendo Badge Arcade. I think this is the first time the NA version got all new sets of badges at (relatively) the same time as the JP version, guess they didn't want to miss the new game + holiday combo.

• Options
    Pokémon Sun/Moon New Year's (in Japan) badges in the Nintendo Badge Arcade. I think this is the first time the NA version got all new sets of badges at (relatively) the same time as the JP version, guess they didn't want to miss the new game + holiday combo.

It's really disappointing the Badge Arcade only lets you have one thousand badges

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

It's really disappointing the Badge Arcade only lets you have one thousand badges

This constantly annoys the shit out of me as someone who has way too many badges. The worst part is catching duplicates actually fucks you over. You can only pick badges by "category" so if say, you pick the SMB1 badges and you have 50 brick badges, that's 50 slots you've just wasted out of your 1000 even if you don't intend to use a single one but only wanted, say, the Mario sprite. 1000 limit is fine if you actually LET US PICK.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    It's actually 1000 unique badges, so duplicates don't count. Still annoying though. Similarly the HOME Menu allows for 100 unique badges displayed, so you could go over if you used duplicates.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I know I'm incredibly late to the party, but holy shit Gunvolt is awesome. I'm barely passable (C ranks ftw), but it's just fun to play. It just scratches that Megaman itch in a semi-novel way.

I'm very happy I asked for (and received) the Striker Pack for Christmas, and I hope Inti Creates makes a 3rd at some point (ideally with a Switch release because the 3DS buttons are just close enough to be troublesome for me, and a regular controller would be better).

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I know I'm incredibly late to the party, but holy shit Gunvolt is awesome. I'm barely passable (C ranks ftw), but it's just fun to play. It just scratches that Megaman itch in a semi-novel way.

I'm very happy I asked for (and received) the Striker Pack for Christmas, and I hope Inti Creates makes a 3rd at some point (ideally with a Switch release because the 3DS buttons are just close enough to be troublesome for me, and a regular controller would be better).

The first is on Steam, so future games being on Steam is possible down the line.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    Man, I thought I was all done with Picross 3D 2 and then it goes and drops like a hundred new puzzles on me.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Super cute, but that yellow assaults the eyes...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Seems kind of late to the party. The new pokemon games were released a couple months ago, and the switch is coming out in like 1 month at this point. The only games that have been announced as coming out for the 3ds in the near future are the yoshi game, story of seasons, and the fire emblem game. None of those games really seem like they would be system sellers so the people who would want them probably already have a 3ds. To me it's just kind of like "but why?" to that 3ds.

They say the 3ds is going to continue being relevant, but I have some serious doubts about that.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Seems kind of late to the party. The new pokemon games were released a couple months ago, and the switch is coming out in like 1 month at this point. The only games that have been announced as coming out for the 3ds in the near future are the yoshi game, story of seasons, and the fire emblem game. None of those games really seem like they would be system sellers so the people who would want them probably already have a 3ds. To me it's just kind of like "but why?" to that 3ds.

They say the 3ds is going to continue being relevant, but I have some serious doubts about that.

It's a Pikachu DS for kids. You're overthinking it. Not every kid has Sun and Moon already.

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    The only games that have been announced as coming out for the 3ds in the near future are the yoshi game, story of seasons, and the fire emblem game.
    Mario Sports too, but yeah.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, also the Pikmin platformer. I can't remember who off the top of my head, but it's been outsourced to some group that forked up some other franchise.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Dammit, make those $99 non-XL N3DSes available again, Nintendo. Releasing them for black Friday only was goosery of the highest order.

• Options
    I wonder if there could be a price drop for n3ds after the switch is released. I wouldn't hold my breath because lowering the price would make it compete with the switch for sales, but I can dream. I still have my teal original 3ds, but would really like a n3ds for the faster loads and better framerate, even though I would prefer to keep using my CPP with monster hunter instead of the nub. Also my circle pad is probably getting a bit worn after 3 monster hunter games, a short stint of smash bros, and all the pokemon games that used the circle pad. The fire emblem game coming out in may also looked like it has parts where you would move around with the c-pad, and I would be devastated if it fell apart midway through a fire emblem game.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    oh I think a price drop for the 3DS absolutely happens this fall. You might see the 2DS go away and the standard size 3DS slot in at the $80 point.

Remember, Nintendo released two new game boy models after the DS came out. the Micro, and the GBA SP that had the backlight. Even if the software does start to dry up, there will still be a market for the 3DS for a while, and a price drop is something we do see.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    oh I think a price drop for the 3DS absolutely happens this fall. You might see the 2DS go away and the standard size 3DS slot in at the $80 point.

Remember, Nintendo released two new game boy models after the DS came out. the Micro, and the GBA SP that had the backlight. Even if the software does start to dry up, there will still be a market for the 3DS for a while, and a price drop is something we do see.

The 2DS isn't going to go away, it's been making great holiday bucks for Nintendo.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Dammit, make those $99 non-XL N3DSes available again, Nintendo. Releasing them for black Friday only was goosery of the highest order.

They did release them again a couple of weeks ago. So there is hope they might make more.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »

They did release them again a couple of weeks ago. So there is hope they might make more.

Well, dang. That blew right over my radar.

• Options
    Blaster Master Zero footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o21DgUPD2RQ

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I played so much Blaster Master as a kid. This is definitely a game that could use a modern day remake with a bunch of QoL changes. Save spots, maps, etc.

Looks like that is what they're aiming for with BMZ.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The 2DS serves as a DS you can give to your kid that's young enough that trying to look at 3D might fuck with their eyes, Nintendo's not going to phase it out.

Opty on
  • Options
    Opty wrote: »
    The 2DS serves as a DS you can give to your kid that's young enough that trying to look at 3D might fuck with their eyes, Nintendo's not going to phase it out.

What I dislike about the 2ds is it attracts dirt and filth on the screen like mad
    I want to get a case for it since it's just basically a streetpass/animal crossing/ afk faking it third for Mario party machine but I just cannot find one