As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] at the House on the Hill - Finale: Delicious Scooby Snacks. Partygoers win!

MatevMatev Cero MiedoRegistered User regular
edited November 2016 in Critical Failures
This was gonna be the party of the decade. Plenty of drinks, a plethora of party favors, and the most fire DJ we could get to come to Darkness Falls. Where was this party gonna be, you ask? The only place big enough for all of us….

2323927719_85e67a6d3c_z.jpg?zz=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kW0kTLBfG0

Whateley Manor, better known as the House on the Hill. Little did we know, our party was going to become…..[PHALLA] AT THE HOUSE ON THE HILL

Click here for a rundown on Phalla
What is Phalla?

Phalla is the Penny-Arcade Forums' version of the party game Mafia.

The Basic Rules

The "village" consists of all players in the game. Included in the village are a small number of bad guys, commonly known as the "mafia". Normally, the mafia members all know one another at the beginning of the game, but nobody else knows anything about anyone other than themselves.

Each day (normally a 24-hour period) the village discusses and publically votes for one person to be executed that night. At the same time, the bad guys choose one person to kill each night and PM the name to the narrator. In larger games, the bad guys might get two kills per night or other abilities to use.

The good side wins if all of the bad guys die. The bad side wins if the number of good guys is less than or equal to the number of bad guys (on the assumption that at that point, they control the vote plus get their kill, so it's inevitable). Large games generally take between a week and two weeks. Small games usually last a week or less.

Usually, there will be one or more "special" roles among the good guys (and occasionally among the bad guys). Exactly who holds each role is only known to that person, and it may not even be known which or how many specials will be in any given game.

Each night, the narrator gives the details of who died, and normally whether they were a bad guy. Some games also include clues or outright statements if someone who died was a good special.

Living players may not communicate regarding the game with dead players and vice versa, unless there is some specific mechanic in place to do so. In that case, communication normally goes through the narrator. If you are dead and the moderator allows a "goodbye" post, make sure it includes absolutely no information about the game, even if you think the information is obvious. If you receive a PM or see a post breaking this rule, notify the person running the game immediately.

You may not use any anonymous method of communication to discuss the game. Forum-based PMs, external IMs, e-mails and other message boards (like proboards) are allowed as long as the person you are talking to knows who you are. You may not use screencaps to "prove" anything to anyone. Do not speak in code.

Along similar lines, don't use the "Add to conversation" feature. Phalla requires a certain amount of uncertainty, and since adding a person to a conversation allows them to see the entire thread, it can serve as a form of verification along the same lines of screen captures. If you wish to communicate something from a PM/conversation to a new player, then start up a new conversation with that individual.

Play nice. It's okay to argue, but don't get too hostile. If it's getting to the point where you're asking other people to quit the game, you're going too far. We're all here to have fun, so take it easy and keep as level a head as possible. Respect others and they'll respect you.

Common Variations

Many larger games contain multiple groups of bad guys working at cross-purposes (a Mafia vs. Werewolves game). Other games may put all players into different factions with each faction’s goal of eliminating a certain subset of the other factions - there may or may not be a common Mafia-style faction that all groups will need to eliminate to achieve victory.

Additional voting or other mechanics can also be used. At least one game has included a council or single person elected every other night who is able to use a power publically. For example, one game had an elected council able to shift the execution vote to the second person. Another had an elected emperor able to choose a person to kill.

In a small game, the typical size for a group of bad guys is 15-20%; the player population, although an individual game may lean toward the high end, particularly if there is only one group of bad guys in a larger game.

Often, everyone gets a "flavor" role in the game. Bad guys and good specials usually get a normal "villager" role in addition to their special role. This keeps people from using their initial PM to verify someone else's role. The two most common ways to do this are to (a) use the exact same message to everyone, or (b) give everyone a unique villager role.

This Phalla is going to be non-traditional. The following elements will deviate from the typical Phalla:

-There will be no mafia
-There will be non-standard win conditions
-There will be a House Proboard all participants will be required to join

Rules of the game

In addition to the standard vote and discussion, players will roam the house and attempt to solve the mysteries therein. Thusly, all players will have the following actions available

-Move: -Normal movement is 2 spaces per player a night.

In addition to Move, 1 of the following actions may be taken:
-Examine: Examine the room. You will receive an item from your search. Only 1 item may be held at a time. Items may be dropped at any point via PM. If an item is necessary to solve a puzzle, it will be consumed upon the solution being provided.
-Trade: Players may consent to trade items if both send confirmation messages to the host.
-Other: Actions not covered by those above.

Sample village PM
You are…..

a partygoer! What was a fun halloween party has turned into a night of terror you will not forget. If you survive that is. Monsters prowl the House on the Hill, but there must be a way out!

Goal:
Kill all the monsters OR escape the house

Clarifications
Order of operations:
Vote > Defensive Powers > Monster Kills > Other Moves (Including Examine) > Offensive Moves > Move

What does the vote end?
10PM PST/1AM EST

What happens in the case of ties?
In ties, all tied parties and the vote the caused the tie are killed. The house is hungry, and so is Buddy.

Thralls, Conversions, etc.?
These sorts of things have a distinct possibility of showing up in this game

As always, please include the host on any PM convos or proboards related to the game.

If you're ready for a dose of good old fashioned fright, sign up with Limegreen

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
Hail Hydra
Matev on

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Playerlist

1. Virgil_Leads_You - Exorcist
    2. Cythraul
    3. Brody- Partygoer
    4. Obifett - Partygoer
    5. Jpants - The Necrodancer
    6. Lostninja - The Thing
    7. 38thdoe - Partygoer
    8. Grunt's Ghosts - Devil Worshipper
    9. Corvidae - Werewolf
    10. Kilnaga - Partygoer
    11. AustinP0027 - Partygoer
    12. enlightenedbum - Partygoer
    13. Gizzy - Devil Worshipper
    14. Assuran - Partygoer
    15. Moridin889 - Partygoer
    16. Jdarksun - Skelebro
    17. TheRoadVirus - Partygoer
    18. Hedgethorn - Partygoer
    19. Egos- The Devil
    20. Mamawolf- The Grudge
    21. Green - Partygoer
    22. Locus - Partygoer
    23. Discrider - Monster Hunter
    24. Bedlam - Partygoer
    25. Wildcat - Partygoer
    26. Burnage - Devil Worshipper
    27. DasUberEdward
    28. Preda - Partygoer - Buddy Bonus Round
    29. Chamberlain - Partygoer
    30. Magicprime - Partygoer
    31. Sirfabulous - Partygoer
    32. Retaba - Partygoer
    33. Premium - The Cenobite
    34. Alegis - Partygoer
    35. Zombie Hero - Partygoer
    36. Lucedes - The Mummy

Narrations

Night 1: DJ Cold Cuts
    Night 2: Meet Buddy
    Night 3: No Sense of Right and Wrong
    Night 4: Frogmarching along
    Night 5: The Bloodening
    Night 6: Isolation
    Night 7: Horror Movie Slapfight
    Night 8: Am I Not?
    Night 9: When all else fails...
    Night 10: Dance Danse Macabre
    Night 11: ...and the Book of Life takes it away
    Final Night: The Last of Us

Summaries

Night 1

DJ - Someone didn't like his music

Night 2

Obifett - Partygoer - Met Buddy
    Zombie Hero - Partygoer - The Hunt is on
    AustinP0027 - Partygoer - Mauled

Night 3

TheRoadVirus - Partygoer - Crushed
    Egos- The Devil - Sent screaming back to Hell
    Jdarksun - Skelebro - Deboned
    Premium - Cenobite - Defeated by dissolution
    Magicprime - Partygoer - Blown away
    Sirfabulous - Partygoer - Incinerated

Night 4

Enlightenbum - The Slasher - Drug off
    Mamawolf - The Grudge - Ripped limb from limb
    Burnage - Devil Worshipper - Green flamed!?

Night 5

Locus - Partygoer - A fine vintage, to be sure
    Wildcat - Partygoer - Fatal attraction
    Green - Partygoer - Beside himself
    Retaba - Partygoer - Consumed by a lunatic
    Corvidae - Werewolf - Wolf Flambe
    Virgil_Meets_You - Exorcist - Sent to meet his maker
    Preda - Partygoer - Buddy Bonus Round

Night 6

Mamawolf- The Grudge - Not vengeful enough
    Brody- Partygoer - Stove Top Scorching
    Bedlam - Partygoer - Shotgun Justice
    Assuran - Partygoer - Slow on the draw
    Discrider - Monster Hunter - Ashes to Plant Food

Night 7

Premium - Cenobite - Phyrric Victory this time
    38thdoe - Partygoer - Unsaved
    Kilnaga - Partygoer - Consumed from within

Night 8

enlightenedbum - Partygoer - Met his destiny
    Grunt's Ghosts - Devil Worshipper - So not groovy

Night 9

Moridin889 - Partygoer - Died a hero
    Lostninja - The Thing - Died a Monster
    Hedgethorn - Partygoer - Luck ran out
    Alegis - Partygoer - Devoured

Night 10

Jpants - The Necrodancer - Neck snap needle scratch

Night 11

Lucedes - The Mummy - Undone
    Premium - The Cenobite - Drawn back beyond
    Gizzy - Devil Worshipper - Asploded

Night 12

Chamberlain - Partygoer - Victim of opportunity

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Spooky RSVP! for Phalla Halloween

VayBJ4e.png
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    ooOoooOOOOoooOoOoOOo

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I am indeed afraid of the dark.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    2Spooky4me

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Never miss a Matev phalla!

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Brody wrote: »
    I am indeed afraid of the dark.

Are-You-Afraid-Of-The-Dark.jpg
    K5xFg8dbJiUpEyPlWXPJAwBBqGxYjI6APSAILeS5aT4.jpg?w=320&s=94b50dcdcf8bc4a7f1b151a27c26462a

ObiFett on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Boo!

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    They all laughed at me when I got my Diploma in Being Afraid of the Dark, but who's laughing now?!?!
    PaRE4Cn.png

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    OoOoOoOoOoO
    http://youtu.be/Pfojf0KkTrQ
    OoOoOoOoOoO

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure I'm not allowed to sign up for this one since I reviewed the early drafts. Have fun, guys!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    i'm gonna be Ox Bellows

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I'm up for a party!

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'm a ghost!

Now where's Demi Moore?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sure

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    If there's no Mafia, does that mean this is a faction game?

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Hopefully I don't AFK out

Gizzy wrote: »

Knowing the actual board game, at some point in time people will become "Traitors" and we will have to kill them before they kill us.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Battle Royale!

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Knowing the actual board game, at some point in time people will become "Traitors" and we will have to kill them before they kill us.

I don't care for the board game. First two times I played it I got all the -1 body/sanity cards, and no items so as soon as part two started I was boned both times.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Not specifically, no

This game shares a name and Genre with Betrayal at House on the Hill. Any further similarities are coincidental or accidental.
    We're gonna be trying the new expansion at my boyfriend's birthday party this weekend. His family's crazy for that game

Hail Hydra
    Matev wrote: »

Not specifically, no

This game shares a name and Genre with Betrayal at House on the Hill. Any further similarities are coincidental or accidental.
    We're gonna be trying the new expansion at my boyfriend's birthday party this weekend. His family's crazy for that game

I haven't played the new edition, which I hear fixes a ton of the problems that the first edition had, like some Traitor situations being unbeatable and some of the underpowered Traitor stuff boosted.

Matev wrote: »

Not specifically, no

I haven't played the new edition, which I hear fixes a ton of the problems that the first edition had, like some Traitor situations being unbeatable and some of the underpowered Traitor stuff boosted.

Some traitor situations can brutal if you had a rough first half or you've got a low number of players (looking at you Werewolves) but overall it's pretty fun and apparently the new expansion scenarios go some really weird and fun places.

Hail Hydra
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story... The Tale of the jdarksun signup

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story... The Tale of the jdarksun signup 2: TRV's Returnening

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I haven't played a phalla in years, but this one intrigues me.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story... The Tale of the jdarksun signup 2: TRV's Returnening

:bigfrown:

Man this is really not the one to be excluded from. Ah well!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    ooo I remember this show,

....I'm old :(

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    They don't call me 'Flash' Williams for nothin'!
    Now you nerds need to get in line and watch me shoulder charge right through this door like I charged through City County College Tech's offensive lineman back in '11.

Shit was so cash

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I ain't afraid of no ghosts

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Spooky scary skeletons

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Spooky scary skeletons

Don't be afraid, Mr.Clarke . You are guaranteed to survive.

Egos on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    @Not me

>:(

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    i'll be the most fire dj:the best worst mood music for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGOk-2V9Vt4

corvidae on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Its too late. A skeleton is inside of you!

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

... Sk-Skeleton Man?!

https://youtu.be/9u_v9H24PfY

For there is always something down there... in the dark... waiting to come out...

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

How can I remove it?