As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate [chat]bee

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    the elevators in my building have a rather complex algorithm that calculates time of day, floors to rest on, leaving doors open at specific times, etc. etc.

It's actually kind of impressive the thought that goes into managing thousands of workers and 54 floors.

Yeah this is kind of necessary in high rise buildings.

Also, supertalls will have like, intermediary banks and different banks serving different floors and so on

it's kinda fascinating!
    Fuck I missed an elevator conversation. I know lots about this.

Elevator controllers are incredibly complex these days. The dispatching logic that goes into it and the wiring is substantial.

Learning, error reporting and self correcting are functions that newer controllers have.

We replaced controllers that made the ride of an elevator so smooth, that if the ADA didn't chime the floor you couldn't tell it was moving.

There's a hospital down town with elevators like that. If you're going above floor 15 you take a bank that skips the first 15 floors. The counter goes "1....16." You feel a slight pressure change in your ears and the doors open.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We stayed at the Edison near Times Square which was 20 floors, and between 8-10 it took about 10 minutes of waiting to get on an elevator down. And around 4-5pm there was a line in the lobby in order to get up.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I need some dr. scholls. These shoes are killing me. And also i can see through holes in them when I look inside

Probably gonna do real good in the CO winter.

I can see through the holes in the tops of my shoes too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I need some dr. scholls. These shoes are killing me. And also i can see through holes in them when I look inside

Yes but you're wearing crocs.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Also, my SKFM costume:
    s28imip75o5u.jpg

are you the reason vine's shutting down

be honest
    Hey, I'm the 2nd place finisher in a local beauty contest!

you_have_won_second_prize_in_a_beauty_contest_2516.png

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Oh, and the bags are filled with a stack of Monopoly money each.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Yes but you're wearing crocs.

I don't have to take this

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So I am taking a 5 minute mental break. Today has just been grueling annoying work that is driving me nuts.

I went to the bathroom and I am in this big secure facility. We have these bullet proof giant ass security doors on the front of our office like every office. There is no visibility through them. You can't really hear stuff through them. They are security doors.

They also hire folks with disabilities for a lot of the cleaning and facilities staff which is fine. But there is one dude, he cleans the halls. And he goes crazy on anyone that opens a door he is working near because he thinks it bumps him and we somehow should avoid this through our magic x-ray vision looking through a door that is solid steel and such.

*ugh*

I got to be the lucky dude who opened the door I can't see through at the exact wrong time today.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    *drafts*
    *deletes draft*

Who cares, he's onto greener pastures

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    This DJ demo is also pretty rad. They are justifying the fuck out of this touch bar.

Oh lord

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @simonwolf @Eddy

I'm playing a Charlemagne playthrough and angling for a few achievements I haven't gotten yet

A prince of the Byzantine Empire agreed to marry my sister, which I hoped would eventually pave the way to SPQR

About a week after arriving in France the prince was mangled in a spear-throwing competition
    muTLk7X.png

d-does anyone else want to marry my sister

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    My older brother, "Maybe you can retire now"

Brother in hospital, "not likely"

Me, "Well, maybe you can get a really expensive bicycle out of it anyways."

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    All I know is that if you aren't headed to the bank that contains the penthouse you might as well throw yourself off whatever low floor you end up on etc etc

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    it's remarkable when you can feel a bad event overhanging your day and sort of sense the heavy grey shift in mood by contrast

it's almost heartening in that you realize it's temporary and circumstantial

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    is this where we sneer at apple's pricing because we're not taking into account that they have better software design, better hardware design, better reliability, better resale value, better support, and better customer satisfaction than the competition

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    We stayed at the Edison near Times Square which was 20 floors, and between 8-10 it took about 10 minutes of waiting to get on an elevator down. And around 4-5pm there was a line in the lobby in order to get up.

PAX prime three(?) years ago had part of the show at a hotel where you needed to take an elevator up to the exhibitor space
    at an oldish hotel with crappy elevators
    and one was down

there were thirty minute waits to get an elevator up

oh and the stairs were emergency exit only

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    is this where we sneer at apple's pricing because we're not taking into account that they have better software design, better hardware design, better reliability, better resale value, better support, and better customer satisfaction than the competition
    this is why our love will never work

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

The hardware tends to not be really different from competitors.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

h8ters gonna h8te

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    IBM Says Macs Are Up to $543 Less Expensive Than PCs Over Time...There were assumptions early on that Macs would be significantly more expensive than PCs, but over the last year, IBM has found that it's actually PCs that are more expensive. Over a four-year lifespan, Previn says IBM saves up to $543 per Mac compared to a PC.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/20/ibm-macs-less-expensive-than-pcs/

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    it's remarkable when you can feel a bad event overhanging your day and sort of sense the heavy grey shift in mood by contrast

I am constantly analyzing feelings, etc, and it's downright weird how this works out. Though often I get little heartening, and more like... realization of how much things like "I'm mad at X because Y" is a post hoc addition to explain why mad is the emotional state right now.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

better design, better fit and finish, better functionality

not cheap plastic garbage

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Gooey wrote: »

h8ters gonna h8te

h8te?

gooby

what the fuck

TL DR on
  • Options
    oh my name is katie, pls no h8te

• Options

people tend to take better care of something they spend $1200 on versus $600.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    6QogHsh.jpg

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Posted this in the Election thread because apparently that's my karma for making fun of @Blameless Cleric earlier

Decided on gas station Mexican instead of gas station cheeseburger..

refv8h47g2is.jpg

::cries:: I ALSO GOT THE CHEESEBURGER OKAY I ATE IT ON THE DRIVE BACK!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Oh my god how can I detonate nukes in the upper atmosphere just so that everyone's computers are fried

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

h8ters gonna h8te

h8te?

gooby

what the fuck

He said see you l8er boi

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

Yeah. I found out I was "randomly" selected to attend a skip - level meeting to follow up post annual safety self-assessment survey.

Tomorrow.

The cloud of gloom is lingering.

• Options

h8ters gonna h8te

h8te?

gooby

what the fuck

why you gotta heightte man

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    a picture containing a mean jape[/img]

that jape cuts close to the bone

• Options

h8ters gonna h8te

h8te?

gooby

what the fuck

where haf u been br8

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/25028933#Comment_25028933

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Oh my god how can I detonate nukes in the upper atmosphere just so that everyone's computers are fried
    First, you need to get Russia to invade the east coast.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

h8ters gonna h8te

h8te?

gooby

what the fuck

He said see you l8ater boi

• Options

My fully metal Zen book isn't cheap plastic.

My fully metal case for my desktop isn't cheap plastic garbage.

Your internals are not that different either.

So...............

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    amateurhour this isn't a [chat] thread, ok? it is an intervention

we are all worried about you

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

people tend to take better care of something they spend $1200 on versus $600.

Nah. I still have win10 installed on my laptop. Garbage OS for lyfe.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    amateurhour this isn't a [chat] thread, ok? it is an intervention

we are all worried about you

because I eat garbage every day or just in general?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    lololol I tried to set up a dinner/quasi-booty call for tonight

Turns out, my ex is seeing someone

self-loathing intensifies
    I'm not joking at all. I have literally no idea who I am any more, or any sense of pride in anything

I kinda remember looking really good naked at one point, but everything I've ever taken pride in myself for feels so shallow and fleeting

I'm aware that self-hatred is repellent to normal humans, and that knowledge only deepens the feeling, because I can't make it go away

No medication or therapy has ever helped, and only substance abuse seems to temporarily stem the flood. I'm literally only alive right now because I fear oblivion and I don't want to hurt my few loved ones.

She's super-negative, so when I congratulated her, she was like "so far so good." I told her not to think of it that way, but to just enjoy it all in the moment.

This discussion has been closed.