As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate [chat]bee

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    AAA vidya games are generally heading in a similar direction to big budget movies. The ever increasing need for good preorders/opening weekend driving ever more money into marketing and it look pretty for trailers to the point that actual movie/game suffers, but who cares because by the time people get to form negative opinions of it it has already made most of its money.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I n
    Orphane wrote: »
    wait, there's a new jack reacher movie?
    :???

Jack Reacher was fun and this one has Tom Cruise beating up yokels apparently

The first one had Werner Herzog chewing scenery and had some decent fight scenes.

The new one has... quick cuts and is completely charmless and has an atrocious child actor playing a bratty teen.

It's fucking awful. It's also like MEGA SEXIST TO THE MAX but more in like a Taken kind of way.

Also as aforementioned the hack fucking writers don't know how to deal with modern technology. It's some NCIS shit where phones and internet are simultaneously magical tracer devices that can do anything and things nobody uses like normal people.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Pony wrote: »
    A buddy of mine who is a screenwriter that works in "Hollywood North" (Vancouver) let me in on a troubling trend he's seeing:

Basically, a lot of screenwriters, especially those who are over the age of 40, are having a really hard time dealing with the modern realities of communication and information at people's disposal. The ease and normalcy of texting, sending pictures and video, how people can Google anything at any time from their phone, just smart phones in general is really hard for a lot of writers to sort of parse and write with.

So much of the standard tropes and conventions and archetypal stories that their screenwriting guides from college are irrelevant now and become meaningless in an instant.

What he told me was like, take any episode of Friends or Seinfeld. Consider the central conflicts and dramas going on in that episode for each character. Now, would the drama and conflict be rendered immediately meaningless if all the characters involved had access to smartphones and all the normal stuff that goes along with that like texting and shit?

Now, some writers, mostly a younger breed of folk, are rising to that challenge and you're seeing that in many modern shows. But the trend my friend was telling me you're going to see more of going forward? "Period pieces" set in the 70's, 80's, and especially early to late 90's.

Not just to cash in on nostalgia, but to basically be able to keep writing the same kind of stories that hack screenwriters always have without having the burden of modern technology making them think of new solutions to problems that aren't just "oh no, we have no coverage in this area!"

the funny thing about this to me is that the internet has become so hilariously unusable that they could get some of that drama back by just having a character try to google something and give up after getting five pages of SEO clickfarming "we are number your one source for everything NECRONOMICON TRANSLATION discount free shipping" bullshit

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    This week's Reply All podcast explains loss.jpg...

How should I feel for knowing every single meme that they put on yes yes no?

@Grape Ape and whoever else listens to this podcast

(also I don't necessarily recommend listening to this particular episode, because they have an obnoxious guest and because it's kinda intolerable to have a big leadup into a meme you already know)

You find Jason Mantzoukas annoying as a guest? I'm baffled. He's amazing. Are you all in on awkward podcast bros because I can put you SUPER in the weeds on that. That's not negative, I love Reply All, and I can point you to others using their podcast form and going even deeper into awk. You hating their one famous incredibly successful comedian guest is just kind of funny.

The whole yes yes no is based on how unwieldy and circular internet culture is. I mean I got it from Tim Buckley but I enjoyed the puzzled them trying to figure it out.

@credeiki

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    AAA vidya games are generally heading in a similar direction to big budget movies. The ever increasing need for good preorders/opening weekend driving ever more money into marketing and it look pretty for trailers to the point that actual movie/game suffers, but who cares because by the time people get to form negative opinions of it it has already made most of its money.

Not many AAA games are bad, though. Quality isn't suffering. I haven't played them but aren't the Forzas and the Battlefields and the Deus Exes considered good?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I n
    Orphane wrote: »
    wait, there's a new jack reacher movie?
    :???

Jack Reacher was fun and this one has Tom Cruise beating up yokels apparently

I'm sure it's fine as Tom Cruise is almost always a fair squinty beat em up guy. Lots of movies to see and trying to not spend $500 a month on movies but I'm tempted.

I get to meet Mike Birbiglia tomorrow and see his 99% movie. I may not meet him but based on the ticket I bought I bet I am within 3 seats of him so... I'll hug tackle.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options

This is false. They need brands, dude. They've abused established brands but new triple A games are often performing.

Plus people aren't monsters

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    @Elendil
    I'm glad your bitching prepared me for the DLC boss being total bullshit.

Because it is. I laughed out loud when I saw the cutscene.

Gonna get a lot of souls being summoned here I bet

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    quick cuts? hrm disappointing

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    A buddy of mine who is a screenwriter that works in "Hollywood North" (Vancouver) let me in on a troubling trend he's seeing:

Basically, a lot of screenwriters, especially those who are over the age of 40, are having a really hard time dealing with the modern realities of communication and information at people's disposal. The ease and normalcy of texting, sending pictures and video, how people can Google anything at any time from their phone, just smart phones in general is really hard for a lot of writers to sort of parse and write with.

So much of the standard tropes and conventions and archetypal stories that their screenwriting guides from college are irrelevant now and become meaningless in an instant.

What he told me was like, take any episode of Friends or Seinfeld. Consider the central conflicts and dramas going on in that episode for each character. Now, would the drama and conflict be rendered immediately meaningless if all the characters involved had access to smartphones and all the normal stuff that goes along with that like texting and shit?

Now, some writers, mostly a younger breed of folk, are rising to that challenge and you're seeing that in many modern shows. But the trend my friend was telling me you're going to see more of going forward? "Period pieces" set in the 70's, 80's, and especially early to late 90's.

Not just to cash in on nostalgia, but to basically be able to keep writing the same kind of stories that hack screenwriters always have without having the burden of modern technology making them think of new solutions to problems that aren't just "oh no, we have no coverage in this area!"

the funny thing about this to me is that the internet has become so hilariously unusable that they could get some of that drama back by just having a character try to google something and give up after getting five pages of SEO clickfarming "we are number your one source for everything NECRONOMICON TRANSLATION discount free shipping" bullshit

see but that would be good writing

that's not in their book from college jake

• Options
    @Elendil
    I'm glad your bitching prepared me for the DLC boss being total bullshit.

Because it is. I laughed out loud when I saw the cutscene.

Gonna get a lot of souls being summoned here I bet

I saw people saying 100-120 was hard. I am trying at mid 60s

@Elendil hops on my stream and goes (lies??? :p ) I'm only 55 on last boss

@Evil Multifarious

• Options
    The new Ouija movie is so good

• Options
    Hm, the new Tom Hanks movie is being savaged on rottentomatoes.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    An Iranian family man named Javad (Reza Attaran) is kidnapped by a descendant of Dracula, whose wife has forced him to give up drinking human blood. The pair become friends, but things go disastrously awry when Javad tries to lessen the vampire's cravings through the use of drugs.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dracula_2016

emnmnme on
  • Options

oh no for real the bitching about how hard cell phones make everything is hilarious and I tend to kind of lower my estimation of someone who engages in it

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hm, the new Tom Hanks movie is being savaged on rottentomatoes.
    An Iranian family man named Javad (Reza Attaran) is kidnapped by a descendant of Dracula, whose wife has forced him to give up drinking human blood. The pair become friends, but things go disastrously awry when Javad tries to lessen the vampire's cravings through the use of drugs.

with a plot like that, how could they go wrong???

• Options

this sounds fantastic tbh

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

We spit a lot of industrial grade acid snark at the Council of Venice. We joke about how out of touch they are. But that is only because it's true. They're still playing the X-Files cover-up games to keep the muggles in the dark.

The Illuminati know better. This is the age of information. Stealth is not about hiding; it's about inundating. We leak the truth. Then we leak whole zettabytes of other junk.

Opposing data. Similar data. Nonsense data. Ad nauseam. Mesmerism by cat memes. Hypnotised. Apathy for the win. (chuckles)

The human brain has only so much bandwidth. Critical thought can actually O.D. on input. Bury the ultimate secret of the universe in the shallow grave of the 5th page of a Google search... and no one will ever find it. Cover-ups are so passé.

(The Secret World is a game with good writing.)

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I have reached @Chanus old.

I should move in next door. Start a [chat] retirement community.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh, I guess I need to stop streaming for my game downloads to go from 1.5 Mb/s to 70. For some stupid reason.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

oh no for real the bitching about how hard cell phones make everything is hilarious and I tend to kind of lower my estimation of someone who engages in it

It always makes me laugh when it's clear the plot is going to rely on miscommunication so the first thing they do is set the story in a place where cell phones don't get reception.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    @BeNarwhal did you see Griffey Jr is on MLB the Show 17's cover, I assume hes important enough he will also be on the Canadian version too.

35bv3ud.jpg

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    @Jacobkosh dare to read this movie description and not cheer and laugh

https://drafthouse.com/show/weird-wednesday-the-dragon-lives-again

• Options
    I have reached Chanus old.

I should move in next door. Start a [chat] retirement community.

All the strawberry Jello and mid 90s Simpsons clips I could want? Sign me up.

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    Oh, I guess I need to stop streaming for my game downloads to go from 1.5 Mb/s to 70. For some stupid reason.

What were you streaming?

But your upload is all that matters really in streaming so yes dumb

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    My paracetamol-munching cat is home!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Oh my god the boss is even harder than I thought

I... might summon somebody

It almost seems like you're not supposed to do it solo.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elki wrote: »

What were you streaming?

But your upload is all that matters really in streaming so yes dumb

Streaming in. I was watching Clippers-Blazers on the Sling app.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Look at Feral using the fancy foreign word for acetaminophen

Thinks he's better than us

Fuck he's probably right

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

Not many AAA games are bad, though. Quality isn't suffering. I haven't played them but aren't the Forzas and the Battlefields and the Deus Exes considered good?

I mostly liked the new deus ex from a story telling standpoint but the main quest is pretty underwhelming. Gameplay wise it's gone downhill, particularly with stealth being made absurdly easy. Other two games aren't for me so can't comment.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Man I am REALLY tempted to go pick up Titanfall tomorrow maybe even get rid of my Vita while Im at it since I dont ever use it.

• Options
    Korea in the late 1920s is under Japanese occupation. Lee Jung-chool (Song Kang-ho, Snowpiercer), a Korean-born police captain in the Japanese police force, is given a special mission to infiltrate the armed resistance fighting for Korean independence. He approaches Kim Woo-jin (Gong Yoo, Train to Busan), a leader of the resistance to obtain information to expose their activities to the Japanese authorities. Soon Lee begins to doubt his loyalties, and show sympathy for his countrymen.

A resistance plan to obtain explosives in Shanghai that will be used to destroy the Japanese Headquarters in Seoul is set in motion, with Lee caught in the middle. His Japanese bosses suspect his shift in allegiance, and Lee becomes a wanted man.

South Korea's official entry to the Best Foreign Language category at the upcoming Academy Awards, THE AGE OF SHADOWS is a deadly cat-and-mouse thriller in which loyalty is tested and no-one can be trusted.

this movie looks like it is going to be extremely My Jam™

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Man I am REALLY tempted to go pick up Titanfall tomorrow maybe even get rid of my Vita while Im at it since I dont ever use it.
    :mad:

You would abandon the sweet prince that is the ps vita?

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

There is nothing worth playing on it, Unless I play old game I already played numerous times. It was bought pretty much to be a Persona 4 Golden machine it served its purpose.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    so the results of that Oregon thing are no convictions

You are a weird country America

• Options

There is nothing worth playing on it, Unless I play old game I already played numerous times. It was bought pretty much to be a Persona 4 Golden machine it served its purpose.

You have beaten all the boobie ninja games!?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Do you have jury trials in Australia?

It could happen to youuuuuu~

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I am fucking furious about it

But what can I really do about it, other than say how mad I am on the Internet.

• Options
    edited October 2016

You have beaten all the boobie ninja games!?

No.

bloodyroarxx on
This discussion has been closed.