As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Flash]: New New Season

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I thought it was better than the other Grodd episodes. I hated the other Grodd episodes, but I mean at least it was slightly better than those...

LostNinja on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    No way keeping Grodd alive could ever possibly bite them in the ass. On the plus side, this means that a live action Gorilla Warfare is still possible.

80d98ca118a82c66601d279b317747fd.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So I just now realized something.

Is HR a meta avatar for the writers themselves?

Wally's an idiot.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    What the fuck even was that thing between Julian and Snow?

"Do you not want to be possessed by a demon speed god because you don't want me to see you like that?"
    "...Yes. That is completely correct. Everything is about you. Now let's kiss."

E:
    How many times exactly are they going to have him say "I am the future Flash" before any character realizes that there's not a comma there? I feel like we're already up to double digits. And that's just for when he responds with that to "Who are you?"

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    The practical suit for Savitar is absolutely embarrassing.

Savitar's strategy in a nutshell:

oots0106.gif

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Good thing everyone's learned not to keep secrets after that episodethose episodes where they learned how keeping secrets from each other always ends in disaster, or this could have gone badly.
    ...Oh.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    "I created myself."

How much more of a clue do you need?

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    In my head-canon, Thawne checks in on Barry and just laughs at Barry's inability to deal with Savitar. Thawne would've taken him out immediately with the vibro-hand to the chest.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    "I am the future, Flash."

No, Savatar, children are the future. You know, kids.

Wait a minute...

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    There is a good argument to be made, based on this past episode, for 3 people to turn out to be Savatar. All of this limiting it to people that have intimate knowledge of everyone in Team Flash.
    HG Wells: Called Wally Wallace, which is the only thing he does. He also could match up with his comment of "I created myself" by having Harrison be the one who purposely or inadvertently made HG into a speedster. Also only HG would talk like a comic book villain, since he is a writer.

Wally: Back to the I created myself comment, by putting Wally in the speedforce to take his place, he completed a loop as Wally will eventually suffer for "all eternity" and become Savatar.

Barry: Based on the Future Flash comments and I created myself, in the comics Barrys Flashpoint event lead to the creation of a potential future Flash that tragically lost everything and decided to go back in time to fix things until everything turned better (hmm sounds familiar)

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    There is a good argument to be made, based on this past episode, for 3 people to turn out to be Savatar. All of this limiting it to people that have intimate knowledge of everyone in Team Flash.
    HG Wells: Called Wally Wallace, which is the only thing he does. He also could match up with his comment of "I created myself" by having Harrison be the one who purposely or inadvertently made HG into a speedster. Also only HG would talk like a comic book villain, since he is a writer.

Wally: Back to the I created myself comment, by putting Wally in the speedforce to take his place, he completed a loop as Wally will eventually suffer for "all eternity" and become Savatar.

Barry: Based on the Future Flash comments and I created myself, in the comics Barrys Flashpoint event lead to the creation of a potential future Flash that tragically lost everything and decided to go back in time to fix things until everything turned better (hmm sounds familiar)

I really like the first idea there.
    It's really predictable that Flash becomes evil then gets beaten by himself in the past and then good flash doesn't become evil. And having Kid Flash become Savitar seems only slightly less cliche.

But, having HR Wells turn into an evil Speedster? I think that would come out as enough of a twist to blow some minds.
    Only problem is that I can't really see HR referring to himself as a god. I mean, sure, he's cocky and a liar, but that just doesn't seem to be his style.

You forgot:
    Barry is mentoring Wally so either Barry turns bad or Wally turns bad based on the past with Thawne and Zoom.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

You forgot:
    Barry is mentoring Wally so either Barry turns bad or Wally turns bad based on the past with Thawne and Zoom.
    Ah, but HR is also mentoring Wally. Even gave him the ol' "Run Wally, Run" last episode...

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    My take is that Savitar is
    Eddie Thawne. By killing himself he created a paradox that sucked him into a giant vortex in the sky. The speedforce crossed with time manipulation.

He would have reason to hate Barry: He stole his girl and crushed his future.

Plus it would also create an excuse for a crossover with LoT.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    Guys, c'mon now.
    Wally is Savatar. "I created myself" = Sav possessed Alchemy to give Wally his powers.

see317 wrote: »

I really like the first idea there.
    It's really predictable that Flash becomes evil then gets beaten by himself in the past and then good flash doesn't become evil. And having Kid Flash become Savitar seems only slightly less cliche.

But, having HR Wells turn into an evil Speedster? I think that would come out as enough of a twist to blow some minds.
    Only problem is that I can't really see HR referring to himself as a god. I mean, sure, he's cocky and a liar, but that just doesn't seem to be his style.

It would be pretty much the exact same twist as the first two seasons, so no.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Here is the transcript i jotted down instead of working while watching my cloud DVR of the episode.

Putting in spoilers
    Savitar/Julian: Bow before my Greatness, be in awe as you are in the presence of the all mighty...

Barry: Enough with the religious.. nonsense. You are just a man... like me.

Savitar/Julian: I am nothing like you Barry, you are cruel, you are selfish, from my perspective you're the "Big Bad".

HG: Pfff. Stupid.

Savitar/Julian: Still here pretender, still trying to find your place.

HG: I found my place, its standing here with these people... against you.

Savitar/Julian: You know, the sad thing is that you live. You survive my wrath. The coward, ..irony.

Barry: Where are you? I trapped you in the future, where?

Savitar/Julian: The only place that you could think of, the only place that could hold me.

Barry: How long have you been in prison?

Savitar/Julian: Long enough to loose my mind several times over. Its only my will that keeps me on the side of sanity.

Cisco: Its funny, when it comes to sanity, i dont nessacary think of Savitar.

Savitar/Julian: Well, thats because you are small Cisco. Youve always been small. Reverb told you that you could have been a god. But instead you would rather work as... tech support.

Barry: You wanna tell me why we are enemies?

Savitar/Julian: Because we had to be, only one of us could live. You thought that Thawn, and Zoom were your biggest foes but, Buts its me.. its always been me, Barry.

Joe: Man What did we ever do to you?

Savitar/Julian: You took everything from me! I never asked for any of this Joe. I am only this way because of you. All of you!

Barry: When do we meet?

Savitar/Julian: Not long now, you're there when i become who i am.

Barry: You're saying I caused you to get your speed?

Savitar/Julian: (shaking his head) Oh, no. I created myself, Barry. Only i can bring out my greatness.

Barry: Youre greatness? (skeptically laughs) Well, youre still trapped... where ever you are. And i dont know how you're going to escape. We got rid of the philosophers stone.

Savitar/Julian: Did we? I am closer to my freedom than i have ever been. Every step, every move that you make only brings me nearer to it. I only need one more thing.

Iris: Man, you really like to hear yourself talk.

Savitar/Julian: Iris, trying to show that you arent afraid. But i know you are. Im sorry you have to die, but its you or me. And despite your feeble efforts to change the future, you cant. Because i am the future(,?) flash.

Savitar/Julian: Barry, youve had to suffer worst than anyone. Youve endured pain your whole life,... your mother... your father. Trust me, youll never get over this.

The bolded, including the Iris line, are my main points of why i think its possiblly
    HR. I mean come on, Savatar speaks like a writer, he is just monologue-ing so hard!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

Here is the transcript i jotted down instead of working while watching my cloud DVR of the episode.

Putting in spoilers
    Savitar/Julian: Bow before my Greatness, be in awe as you are in the presence of the all mighty...

Barry: Enough with the religious.. nonsense. You are just a man... like me.

Savitar/Julian: I am nothing like you Barry, you are cruel, you are selfish, from my perspective you're the "Big Bad".

HG: Pfff. Stupid.

Savitar/Julian: Still here pretender, still trying to find your place.

HG: I found my place, its standing here with these people... against you.

Savitar/Julian: You know, the sad thing is that you live. You survive my wrath. The coward, ..irony.

Barry: Where are you? I trapped you in the future, where?

Savitar/Julian: The only place that you could think of, the only place that could hold me.

Barry: How long have you been in prison?

Savitar/Julian: Long enough to loose my mind several times over. Its only my will that keeps me on the side of sanity.

Cisco: Its funny, when it comes to sanity, i dont nessacary think of Savitar.

Savitar/Julian: Well, thats because you are small Cisco. Youve always been small. Reverb told you that you could have been a god. But instead you would rather work as... tech support.

Barry: You wanna tell me why we are enemies?

Savitar/Julian: Because we had to be, only one of us could live. You thought that Thawn, and Zoom were your biggest foes but, Buts its me.. its always been me, Barry.

Joe: Man What did we ever do to you?

Savitar/Julian: You took everything from me! I never asked for any of this Joe. I am only this way because of you. All of you!

Barry: When do we meet?

Savitar/Julian: Not long now, you're there when i become who i am.

Barry: You're saying I caused you to get your speed?

Savitar/Julian: (shaking his head) Oh, no. I created myself, Barry. Only i can bring out my greatness.

Barry: Youre greatness? (skeptically laughs) Well, youre still trapped... where ever you are. And i dont know how you're going to escape. We got rid of the philosophers stone.

Savitar/Julian: Did we? I am closer to my freedom than i have ever been. Every step, every move that you make only brings me nearer to it. I only need one more thing.

Iris: Man, you really like to hear yourself talk.

Savitar/Julian: Iris, trying to show that you arent afraid. But i know you are. Im sorry you have to die, but its you or me. And despite your feeble efforts to change the future, you cant. Because i am the future(,?) flash.

Savitar/Julian: Barry, youve had to suffer worst than anyone. Youve endured pain your whole life,... your mother... your father. Trust me, youll never get over this.

The bolded, including the Iris line, are my main points of why i think its possiblly
    HR. I mean come on, Savatar speaks like a writer, he is just monologue-ing so hard!

Pretty unlikely.
    Iris's line about liking to hear himself talk could just as easily be pointing to Wally's mugging for the cameras and glamour-hogging. Savatar gave Wally his speed, satisfying "only I can bring out my greatness." And Barry was there when Wally got sucked into the Speed Force where he is now taking on the exact same burden that made Savatar what he is now.

It's Wally, or they want us to think it's Wally and they're going to pull some bullshit like have Jessie become Savatar instead.

Bankshot possibility: It's HR Wells's oft-mentioned partner from Earth-19 and all this is pointless.

You guys are hoping for some real curveballs here when the writers have yet to do anything even vaguely not telegraphed months in advance, and even then tend to screw things up more often than not.

ztrEPtD.gif
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    You guys are hoping for some real curveballs here when the writers have yet to do anything even vaguely not telegraphed months in advance, and even then tend to screw things up more often than not.

"Hoping?"

Man, no. I hope that this show gets cancelled and replaced with the Wonder Twins Variety Hour, with Earth-19 Wells on drums and Eddie Thawne on slide whistle.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Idiots all around once again:
    Wally being gone is the only bright spot to the episode.

If only he'd taken Barry and Iris with.

Caitlin, you let them infect you with the moronic ideas.

Julian, you're blacking out for a few minutes and...what? What's so terrible? Don't fall to the malady!

When it turns out to be Barry's father I will sigh.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    You know, it kind of undercuts the drama point for the end of the episode if the commercial for next week is in the second break.

That said
    Wally is Savitar so goddamned hard. Also that costume looks so bad when it's not CG. Also the CG looks bad when we have to see Barry himself.

I'd like Jessie to be the one to save Wally, because power of love and all that, but I know it will be Barry because he's the only one with connections to the Dead-Characters-Power-Hour that next week will be.

sig.gif
    Synopsis for Episode 18:
    “Abra Kadabra” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

DC COMICS’ CHARACTER ABRA KADABRA VISITS CENTRAL CITY – The Flash (Grant Gustin) battles Abra Kadabra (guest star David Dastmalchian), a villain from Earth-19, who makes him a tempting offer – release him and Abra Kadara will reveal Savitar’s true identity. Desperate to save Iris (Candice Patton), Barry considers taking the deal but Gypsy (guest star Jessica Camacho) breaches in to capture the villain for her own reasons and during the melee, Abra Kadabra manages to escape. Barry is furious that Gypsy interfered but Gypsy refuses to back down, forcing Cisco (Carlos Valdes) to take sides. Meanwhile, Julian (Tom Felton) is still a bit cold towards Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) but when she is severely injured in a battle with Gypsy, he rushes to her side. Nina Lopez-Corrado directed the episode with story by Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Brooke Roberts & David Kob (#318). Original airdate 3/28/2017.
    I can just see them revealing it's Wally in the season finale.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Second half of the gorilla double parter:
    Fucking hell... Its hard enough to ignore the technobabble that leads to magical plot solutions, but if they have an actually smart alleged genius character be wrong about elementary math speaking with certainty, all my suspension of disbelief just goes poof.

No Harry, if you have a 5 digit code of numbers ranging from 0 to 9 the number of produce combinations isn't "exactly 90000", its exactly 100000. That's because its every single whole number from 00000 to 99999. Or more mathematically, each digit has 10 possible values, and there's 5 digits, and values are repeatable, so 10^5. And trying random codes instead of iterative permutations is just stupid, Barry.

Gah! This is how you lose me as a viewer, show!

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
    Opinions and tastes, but out of all the problems with the show/that episode a math error ranks pretty low. :P

Yeah, both episodes were pretty weak in general.

I never thought the Flash fighting an army of super-intelligent warrior gorillas would be boring.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »
    Yeah, both episodes were pretty weak in general.

I never thought the Flash fighting an army of super-intelligent warrior gorillas would be boring.

Probably because he really didn't, and then the big climax was about four levels of outsourcing from sidekick to recurring character to tertiary character.

ztrEPtD.gif
    Reddit reminds you, always have a backup plan.

3jcj43xq2xky.jpg

sig.gif
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Reddit reminds you, always have a backup plan.

3jcj43xq2xky.jpg

Come back to us, Patty-chan!

Patty is the girl that Barry needs, but not the girl that he deserves.

edited March 2017
    Everybody's sacrificing themselves for each other!

We're all Jesuses!

Also, that armor thing was holy shit levels of terrible.

"He's wearing armor. Wait. Why would he need armor, unless it was... ARMORING SOMETHING!? Jessie! Hit him!"
    "Wow! It worked!"
    --later--
    "Guess who discovered that Savitar's not invulnerable!"
    "WOW! Holy shit! Now we can... uh..."

Jacobkosh on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    @ArcTangent Spoiler that perhaps?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sneak peak of the musical episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgBlETrB_3s

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Watching the "Previously on..." segment was a good reminder of how Wally fell for the worst reverse psychology bit of all time.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Couldn't help but laugh when
    Barry is getting chased by the time wraith running laps of the precinct at full flash speed (including phasing through the stairs), and then it's stopped by the slowest elevator doors in history.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Barry and Wally compete who can be the dumbest, Iris has never stopped being pretty bad and is backsliding, the rest of the team take turns doing dumb things. And now the Speedforce is a dick.

Bring back Patty!

Also, maybe I was onto something with it being Barry's father:
    Jay loses his mind and away we go.

At this point I think it's worth it to drop a grenade at start at the last checkpoint.

The Flash starring Jessie Quick on Earth-2. Or Earth-3, doesn't matter.

sig.gif
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So the Speedforce, those beings outside linear time, are disappointed that Barry said one thing and later did another. That's....alright. You would think they would've seen that coming.

Also, they seem to be upset that he is giving up the fight and to try to change his mind they show him a bunch of people who were utterly fucked because they kept fighting. Uhm...right.

Oh, pointless relationship drama for Barry/Iris. There's the show I remember!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish