As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DMV] DC - Maryland - Virginia

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oh god. That deli we went to; their sides are suspect. Midnight and I each got different mayo salads (egg, potato), and both of us were sick all night. I'm still rough around the edges. It started before we went out to dinner, just as we were leaving.

Uuugh.

What is this I don't even.
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Oh god. That deli we went to; their sides are suspect. Midnight and I each got different mayo salads (egg, potato), and both of us were sick all night. I'm still rough around the edges. It started before we went out to dinner, just as we were leaving.

Uuugh.

Maybe you should have stayed the extra half hour to heat them up like my pupusas.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    templewulf wrote: »

Uuugh.

Maybe you should have stayed the extra half hour to heat them up like my pupusas.

Really, this is the lesson I learned.

I only relate this story of intestinal struggles since you guys were discussing Taco Bell anyway.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I've been told La Mexicana on Route 1 is pretty good as far as authentic cuisine goes.

I just also make the person who told me that cook for me. She always gets stocked up on supplies when her mother comes to visit her here on the East Coast. She was originally from the border of California and still has a lot of family in Mexico. We always get really excited when her mother comes to visit because it means they're going to spend at least one day cooking up a storm.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    My favorite Mexican place is a Castillan-specialties place that does excellent empanadas.

(But seriously it's actually the taquiera/Mexican bakery right around the corner because they always have Tres Leches to tempt me.)

Really the problem has a lot to do with the predominant Latinos in the area not being Mexicans. The Mexican bakery I like? Salvadoreans run it.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    I've been told La Mexicana on Route 1 is pretty good as far as authentic cuisine goes.

I just also make the person who told me that cook for me. She always gets stocked up on supplies when her mother comes to visit her here on the East Coast. She was originally from the border of California and still has a lot of family in Mexico. We always get really excited when her mother comes to visit because it means they're going to spend at least one day cooking up a storm.

looked at the menu

that might be my new breakfast place once i move

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Not Mexican to be sure but the abundance of good food from El Salvador around here is pretty dang OK with me.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I grew up literally 5 minutes from my front door to Mexico, so it's a little disorienting to be in one of the most metropolitan places in America and be so far removed from it.

@Sassori , I don't know Route 1. Is that the one that goes through Gaithersburg?

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I grew up literally 5 minutes from my front door to Mexico, so it's a little disorienting to be in one of the most metropolitan places in America and be so far removed from it.

@Sassori , I don't know Route 1. Is that the one that goes through Gaithersburg?

It's also called Jefferson Davis Highway and Richmond Highway because the world likes to be confusing.

• RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular

It's also called Jefferson Davis Highway and Richmond Highway because the world likes to be confusing.

Richmond Highway when it's in Fairfax County, Jeff Davis Highway in Prince William and points south. Source: I've logged too many damn miles on that highway over the last 10 years.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Route 1 goes from Florida to Maine, too, though looking at Wikipedia it appears to merge with I-95 for a good chunk of the northern section up near NYC

There's some disagreement about where it's appropriate for the South to Rise Again.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Alexandria iirc had a referendum to rename it to get away from the blood-soaked history of Jefferson Davis - no idea if it passed or not

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    This coasts One is way shittier than the west coasts One

PSN: jfrofl
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Alexandria iirc had a referendum to rename it to get away from the blood-soaked history of Jefferson Davis - no idea if it passed or not

The vote to rename it was unanimous. I guess it's named something else technically right now in that spot? They'll change street signs maybe, if they even exist there.

• ShubNiggurathShubNiggurath Arkham, MARegistered User regular
    Belatedly, nice meeting you guys Sunday.

It appears I have not logged into the forums since 2014. Only took two tries, tho!

High Priestess Ubb of the island of Yhe Abyss
    VillagerDB Wish List
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

The vote to rename it was unanimous. I guess it's named something else technically right now in that spot? They'll change street signs maybe, if they even exist there.

As it runs through Old Town it becomes two one-way streets called Patrick and Henry

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Signs in Alexandria call it Jeff Davis, which took me way too long to put together.

"the Garfield guy? No. Who's Jeff?

...oh THAT Jeff Davis."

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Jefferson Davis always reminds me of the weird adjunct History professor who could not stop talking about how hot Robert E. Lee was.

"Grant had nothing on Robert E. Lee. Sure, he was a great general or whatever, but if you saw Robert E. Lee walking down the street you wouldn't even notice Grant..."

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Grant is not a show-er

VRXwDW7.png
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    *kicks door off hinges* WE TALKIN' CIVIL WAR-ERA DICK IN HERE

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I sure hope so!

Stonewall Jackson lost his leg but still had two if you know what I mean

• ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    u guys arent talking about food anymore but tthere is a good taqueria in baltimore, off eastern on th edge of patterson park -- authentic idk but v v tasty

An excellent NoVa drinking game: ask the group where they went to high school. If the name is a Confederate General, drink.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Projeck wrote: »
    u guys arent talking about food anymore but tthere is a good taqueria in baltimore, off eastern on th edge of patterson park -- authentic idk but v v tasty

What's it called? I take my dogs to Patterson semi often so I'll have to check it out

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    An excellent NoVa drinking game: ask the group where they went to high school. If the name is a Confederate General, drink.
    james madison

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Super bummed that Dairy Godmother in Del Ray is closing permanently. It was one of my favorite places to go in that neighborhood.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Super bummed that Dairy Godmother in Del Ray is closing permanently. It was one of my favorite places to go in that neighborhood.

What

nooooooooooo

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DAMN IT

Grey Ghost wrote: »

As it runs through Old Town it becomes two one-way streets called Patrick and Henry

Yeah, but that's been that way for awhile. They JUST voted to change the name throughout Alexandria.

• XenoZergieXenoZergie Registered User regular
    So, a few potentially dumb questions and one shameless self-promotion:

Is Board Room usually the preferred meet-up spot? Do people want to make that a regular thing or does it just sort of happen when the stars align? Also, are there other places that people are interested in meeting at?

For example, Galaxy Hut (http://galaxyhut.com) has open mic karaoke the first Sunday of every month. It also has delicious and fancy grilled cheese and tater tots and is pretty much right on the Orange/Silver lines. Downside of Galaxy Hut is that it is very small; the folks that showed up on Sunday would probably fill it.

I mentioned this sort of offhand last Sunday, but @ShubNiggurath and I are looking for more players for a tabletop campaign I'm going to be running. It's only every other Saturday, so even if Woodbridge* is pretty far south from most of you, it shouldn't be too much of a driving hardship, hopefully? Anyway, shoot me a PM if you're interested in that.

Woodbridge is how the post office sorts our mail, but this Gmaps link for Agnewville is actually the most accurate for where we live:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Agnewville,+VA+22192/@38.6691742,-77.2883039,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b6542a7dd489cf:0x5832ce1aab59d91!8m2!3d38.66917!4d-77.2861099

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Up until now the only people meeting up semi regularly have been me, Radiation, and Darkewolfe. We're simple folk with simple needs so it's by no means the only place to go. We're just lazy :razz::

I like Galaxy Hut but it is small and it's more of a trek for those of us in Maryland.

But really, as far as I can tell from the NYC forumers, just announce you're going somewhere and want to hang out if anyone's interested.

Also is anyone interested in attending next week's Women's March on DC that isn't already part of the giant PM?

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Part of me wants to, but massive crowds make me anxious, so probably not.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Part of me wants to, but massive crowds make me anxious, so probably not.

I only get a little anxious, but crowds definitely tucker me out.

However, there are restaurants pledging their inauguration day profits to charities: https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/dozens-of-dc-restaurants-will-pledge-inauguration-profits-to-lgbt-and-womens-causes?utm_source=munchiesfbus

I might try to hit up kapnos, if I can stand to be out.

Is everybody at the march today? I'm staying home to make my sick wife some turmeric milk and do other convalescing activities.

We did stand outside for a couple of minutes to help people park in our driveway for the march. Our street is packed to the brim, and it looks like a common issue.

Went to Royal Taj with @Radiation to show him the light. Probably the best Indian food around.

Quid wrote: »
    Went to Royal Taj with @Radiation to show him the light. Probably the best Indian food around.

I've never heard of it. Checking Google... is it he one in Columbia?

My favorite is Woodlands, and Royal Taj would have to be an 11/10 to make me want to drive halfway to Baltimore instead of to Langley Park. Though we're vegetarian, so their all-veggie-friendly buffet is like a spicy fantasy.

• robotbeerobotbee Drop any other moon on his face -Jupiter has so many it won't even careRegistered User regular
    Good news, everyone! Dairy Godmother is closing for the winter but plans to reopen in March. The phrasing of what I've read sounds like they are assuming new management will be in place by then. (At least, that's the vibe I get as of last Tuesday per their book of faces page.)

Whom the fly chicks tagged Lenore, nameless here forevermore.
  • ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    robotbee wrote: »
    Good news, everyone! Dairy Godmother is closing for the winter but plans to reopen in March. The phrasing of what I've read sounds like they are assuming new management will be in place by then. (At least, that's the vibe I get as of last Tuesday per their book of faces page.)

I've heard there's temporarily going to be some sort of bagels, along with Number One Sons pickles. I really like the Sons pickles, Kimche and the salsa. Their stock is pretty seasonal though.
    Oh hey, found a link https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/going-out-guide/wp/2017/01/20/this-new-pop-up-in-alexandria-will-satisfy-your-cravings-for-bagels-and-pickles/?utm_term=.1b11fb1a55f2