As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Switch launches March 3rd for $299

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've reconciled with the fact that everything I bought for my Wii is stuck there forever

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Shorty wrote: »
    I've reconciled with the fact that everything I bought for my Wii is stuck there forever

Actually the wii stuff could be transferred to the Wii U in a virtual Wii format so you didn't have to keep your old console around, and you could "trade up" your VC titles from Wii to Wii U for cheap. Which, granted isn't ideal but for Nintendo it was better than expected.

That said there's no way they're gonna do that a second time (a virtual Wii makes NO SENSE for what the Switch is).

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Metroid "hussein" prime a lot of people forget that part but it's important to me

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    2 weeks later:

"Well, we tried, sir, but the sales of Other M on the virtual console are abysmal."
    "Well, the numbers don't lie. Looks like this franchise has had its day."

"Better cancel the Prime Trilogy release we had planned for the Switch and switch those folks over to the new Mario Party."

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options

Actually the wii stuff could be transferred to the Wii U in a virtual Wii format so you didn't have to keep your old console around, and you could "trade up" your VC titles from Wii to Wii U for cheap. Which, granted isn't ideal but for Nintendo it was better than expected.

That said there's no way they're gonna do that a second time (a virtual Wii makes NO SENSE for what the Switch is).

well that would just recreate the problem

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    so they are actually promoting the switch which includes this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17tXBePgfo

if there is a dockless cheaper version I might get pretty hype for it because I have no use for that half of it

• Options
    Jars wrote: »

if there is a dockless cheaper version I might get pretty hype for it because I have no use for that half of it

haven't they already confirmed that?

I thought they did

• Options
    I don't know, have they?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That would be three different SKUs before you even got to bundles.

SKU 1. Full Switch
    SKU 2. Tablet Switch
    SKU 3. Dock for people who just bought the tablet but then later want to dock it.

I don't think Nintendo is that crazy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I thought they did

They almost certainly will not do this

The entire point of the switch is to unify their markets, that would split it again

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    That would be three different SKUs before you even got to bundles.

SKU 1. Full Switch
    SKU 2. Tablet Switch
    SKU 3. Dock for people who just bought the tablet but then later want to dock it.

I don't think Nintendo is that crazy.

my guess is they'll launch with just SKU 1, and down the road maybe add 2 and 3, especially if they start releasing special edition consoles like they did for DS/3DS.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The New Nintendo Switch 3D will launch without a dock because Nintendo will assume that you will keep your existing Switch and share the dock between the two and valiantly "save you" from having an extra peripheral lying around.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I thought they did

The entire point of the switch is to unify their markets, that would split it again

I don't see why. everything that works on a dockless switch would work on a switch with a dock. it's still the same device

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I mean, having a dockless version runs counter to the very name of the thing.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Don't have a tv? The dock is just a charging station.

• Options
    unless you want a dockless version and don't care what the name is. or you want two switches and only need one dock for both

• Options
    Yeah the whole point of the thing is that it's both a console and a "portable" system. Their entire marketing strategy is built around that concept. I'm not saying it definitely won't have a dockless SKU, but I would be surprised.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular

I thought they did

Also the name, the absolute locus of the marketing of the thing; if they are going to sell it wide they need people to buy it was a Switch. All your gaming on the go, Switch between the two. It would water it down if there were one that was portable out the box with no switching, what if some Mom or Dad buys one that doesn't Switch out of the box maybe because it is the only one left in a store, and needs a 20-50 buck doodad to do that. That would happen all the time, muddy up the distinctiveness and it'd get Wii U'd all over.

A year in, when a cheaper SKU is needed and people might know a Switch on sight if a stranger was playing it in public, then that makes sense because most of the people who'd buy it understand the concept.

For now, it HAS to be sold as a Switch. It's what it has that is unique.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The dock is probably only like 5-10% of the cost of the thing

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    From what I've read, the dock isn't adding a substantive cost to the system, so selling a version without the dock wouldn't really end up saving you anything. Just chuck the dock in the trash if you don't want the dock.

Ceno on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Its a dock with access to the charger & HDMI switch, I'm pretty sure. So you could just go without a dock as long as you had an HDMI cable and charger handy.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    I think the latest info/rumor is that the dock is very cheap, with just some cooling and ports for HDMI and power. So the price difference for a tablet-only would be very small, so I doubt they'd release it that way. They'll probably sell extra docks, though, but I would guess they'd leave that until well after launch.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah the whole point of the thing is that it's both a console and a "portable" system. Their entire marketing strategy is built around that concept. I'm not saying it definitely won't have a dockless SKU, but I would be surprised.

I'm cool with saying there will never ever be a dockless switch

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    unless you want a dockless version and don't care what the name is. or you want two switches and only need one dock for both

Nintendo doesn't care if you don't want the dock. You can just not use the dock if you don't want to use the dock.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    If the dock is really cheap then they're definitely not going to do a dockless version, there'd be no point in doing so as it wouldn't save them or the consumer much money

Just don't use the thing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    we've probably had this conversation before and I still think that putting this forth that it has to work as a console is moronic because there are 60 million people with 3dses and 10 million people with wiius and making it as a console first isn't going to go over well with your much larger handheld audience because they either 1) already have a console 2) don't want a console. difference between a handheld that can dock and a console that you can take with you and all that

• Options
    we've probably had this conversation before and I still think that putting this forth that it has to work as a console is moronic because there are 60 million people with 3dses and 10 million people with wiius and making it as a console first isn't going to go over well with your much larger handheld audience because they either 1) already have a console 2) don't want a console. difference between a handheld that can dock and a console that you can take with you and all that

just don't use the dock

you now have a handheld

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

Its a dock with access to the charger & HDMI switch, I'm pretty sure. So you could just go without a dock as long as you had an HDMI cable and charger handy.

I'm just sayin waiting for a dockless version for whatever reason seems like a waste.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    One of Laura Kate Dales tweets from earlier in the week mentioned that Nintend intends to sell the dock separately, in case you have multiple televisions.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2016

If Nintendo really cared about the handheld market they'd have made a successor to the 3DS instead of this hybrid thing. They didn't so it's safe to assume they're going all in on the concept of the idea of a device that is both console and portable.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    One of Laura Kate Dales tweets from earlier in the week mentioned that Nintend intends to sell the dock separately, in case you have multiple televisions.

I actually kinda like this idea!

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

The dock is a charging cradle like what the 3DS has

except it can also hook up to a TV

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    there will definitely be a dockless switch
    you just have to get it on craigslist or ebay or something

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    there will definitely be a dockless switch
    you just have to get it on craigslist or ebay or something

Or, if you're unscrupulous, the train.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    By the way, if you're curious: Nintendo Badge Arcade loads even slower than it did at launch.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    By the way, if you're curious: Nintendo Badge Arcade loads even slower than it did at launch.

How the fuck is this even possible

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Have they confirmed a way to charge the tablet without the dock?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I checked the Nintendo eshop and was really excited to see Super Castlevania IV there, but apparently I need a New 3DS instead of this ol' 3DS

Seems surprising considering the kind of hardware it originally ran on

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

They haven't confirmed ANYTHING about the Switch, really, but word on the street is it uses USB.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

They haven't confirmed ANYTHING about the Switch, really, but word on the street is it uses USB.

Rumor now, seemingly confirmed by people poring over the footage from Fallon last night, is that it uses USB-C, not USB

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.