As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD [Overwatch] Thread, GO TO 9.0!!!

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Finale Russian - South Korea is starting, best of 5

South Korea is going to demolish Russia.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    https://gfycat.com/DiligentHotHyena

When you're the only Reinhardt against 6 Sombras

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm gonna wait until the PTR hits before I declare Sombra the most broken ever.

Problem with convention footage is you have people of all skill levels playing together so hard to guage how effective she really is.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Finale Russian - South Korea is starting, best of 5

South Korea is going to demolish Russia.

SK won the first match, but russia did give them a run for their money after losing the first point too quickly

Looks great so far

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    That unfortunate MEI toss. . .hilarity.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    ugh... no... SK does seem oppressively strong

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yes, Sombra is classes as an Offense character. More like Tracer and Reaper and Genji, in the sense that her style of Offense is more geared towards disabling select defenders than contributing to sustained frontal attacks.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    LPXivlb.gif

i don't know if that was my favorite thing or the boop

Gotta' be the boop.

insta.gif

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yes, Sombra is classes as an Offense character. More like Tracer and Reaper and Genji, in the sense that her style of Offense is more geared towards disabling select defenders than contributing to sustained frontal attacks.

I'm ok with them making characters in a class that aren't like "obvious" for the class. I'm not sure how this would work, but I'd love to see something interesting for the Tank class (though I suppose Roadhog kinda seems like that).

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I do like that all the tanks seem to have different roles and ways of being tanky. Winston and Dva are hard to pin down, Zarya and Roadhog will heal themselves if you let up, Reinhard just has a big fuck-off shield that he can deploy more teady than most...

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    ED! wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

I'm ok with them making characters in a class that aren't like "obvious" for the class. I'm not sure how this would work, but I'd love to see something interesting for the Tank class (though I suppose Roadhog kinda seems like that).

The tanks are pretty varied.

Reinhardt: Pure Tank
    Zarya: Support Tank with DPS potential.
    Roadhog: Offensive Tank
    Winston/D.Va: Harassment/Disruptor Tanks

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    This is boring.

• Options
    This is boring.

Eh... afaik, the SK team was actual pro players who often play as teams.. The other teams were partially streamers and such, weren't they? I think this is mostly a test run, and SK is the only one going at it 100% already, which shows

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Sweden and I think Finland were 100% pro players. Also, China was actually all from one pro team, I think.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    cuQ2GXm.jpg

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Sweden and I think Finland were 100% pro players. Also, China was actually all from one pro team, I think.

hm... well, overwatch has a pretty damn big following in SK, around LoL levels. I guess it shows. But there always were strong shooter players in other countries, too, and I think this is far from forever decided as was SK's star craft 1 dominance

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

hm... well, overwatch has a pretty damn big following in SK, around LoL levels. I guess it shows. But there always were strong shooter players in other countries, too, and I think this is far from forever decided as was SK's star craft 1 dominance

Oh, sure. Rogue, a European team, went over there and won a tournament with mostly Korean and Chinese teams about a month ago.

• Options
    This is boring.

Eh... afaik, the SK team was actual pro players who often play as teams.. The other teams were partially streamers and such, weren't they? I think this is mostly a test run, and SK is the only one going at it 100% already, which shows

They need to change that then. I mean I saw finals so I figured this was a constructed tournament like the other OW tournaments I've seen (I'm not familiar enough with them to know who owns which).

I view eSports like all sports: no one wants to see a sweep in the finals (least of all advertisers). You sure as shit don't want to see it throughout the ENTIRE tournament.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Doing my Comp placement matches. Lost 1, won 3 (the last went really well with ClockKing, we were together with 4 solos and beat a 4+2 stack). Just lost another, sucks being on a team that doesn't protect support. And I really hate being on teams that are just pants-on-head when the other team has a good Mei or Tracer, it's just an auto-loss most of the time. :-1:

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    There's no way some of those abilities aren't getting nerfed in record time. The LOS for her Ult. is good, but I think it should be less hack time than normal (you ARE hacking everyone).

Also I'm guessing she's offense?

Her page on the website says offense.

And we don't know how long it will take to charge her ult.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    This is boring.

They need to change that then. I mean I saw finals so I figured this was a constructed tournament like the other OW tournaments I've seen (I'm not familiar enough with them to know who owns which).

I view eSports like all sports: no one wants to see a sweep in the finals (least of all advertisers). You sure as shit don't want to see it throughout the ENTIRE tournament.

next year overwatch league will be a thing

I don't think they will even do a world cup and if they do it will probably be closed to anyone who plays on a professional team

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Like the character folks are playing at Blizzcon is quite probably already out of date compared to the one who'll appear in the PTR. And once characters get on PTR they tend to get plenty more balancing as needed for another couple of weeks before they get into the game. (And also tons of the players in the matches have never even played overwatch before) The overwatch devs have demonstrated they're pretty dang willing to investigate and adjust team balancing, and game balance has only gotten better since it first launched.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fired up OW after a couple months.

2 out of 3 games I had at least 1 person losing on purpose on the team.

Looks like I'm back to not playing this fucking game again.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yo dudes, if you want to play Heroes of the Storm with a PA person and have a friendly guide to introduce you to the game, then just hop into the "heroes of the wang" channel and ask if anyone would like to play.

We also have a list (not sure how active it is) in the OP for the thread as well. Feel free to hit me up if you ever see me online (Antaeus#1352), and I'm happy to play with newbies, too. =)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yo dudes, if you want to play Heroes of the Storm with a PA person and have a friendly guide to introduce you to the game, then just hop into the "heroes of the wang" channel and ask if anyone would like to play.

We also have a list (not sure how active it is) in the OP for the thread as well. Feel free to hit me up if you ever see me online (Antaeus#1352), and I'm happy to play with newbies, too. =)

I've been thinking of hopping back on HOTS.

OW is far too toxic and not fun and I never get invites from PA people anyway so why the hell not?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    There's no way some of those abilities aren't getting nerfed in record time. The LOS for her Ult. is good, but I think it should be less hack time than normal (you ARE hacking everyone).

Also I'm guessing she's offense?

Her page on the website says offense.

And we don't know how long it will take to charge her ult.

She charges it extremely fast against tanks. She goes from 17% to ~78% solo killing Winston She can also charge it ridiculously by standing on hacked health packs through self-healing. Or let anybody else do that.

I honestly can't see her hacked health pack stuff staying like it is, especially with there being health packs within general firing range of points like the starts of Anubis and King's Row. Get in. Hack the health pack, drop a tank on it, and gee, the entire enemy team better be concentrating their fire there, because sitting on that spot is now just shy of having a Mercy permanently attached to your ass without anybody able to turn off the healing for the next minute, and the tank getting a massive ult charge for it. Better hope you have an Ana to turn that shit off for a few seconds, and hopefully not a Lucio/Winston because they can't out-damage that to dislodge them, no matter how good they are.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Isn't the hacked refresh rate like 6 seconds for the big packs?

200hp every 6 seconds, while useful doesn't sound unstoppable.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I almost had to ask if placement matches are only on KotH maps, because my first 6 matches were all wither Nepal or Ilios...then I got Dorado. But then I had to stop and contemplate what mode I selected when I saw the map, I seriously thought I was in some other mode since it wasn't KotH again.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Isn't the hacked refresh rate like 6 seconds for the big packs?

200hp every 6 seconds, while useful doesn't sound unstoppable.

4 seconds on large health packs, which are 250 HP.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Hmm...4 seconds for 250 might be a bit.

I think 6 seconds would probably be better.

We'll see.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Oh. It looks like EMP DOESN'T remove personal shields, despite everything everybody's been saying.

You can see in the kill cam that Zarya's barrier was knocked off, she was hacked, but her personal shields are still up.

E:
    And apparently Sombra can still use her ultimate even when she's hacked (23m 45s). Seriously, guys?

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    noice, tried competitive for the first time after not playing since release week and got placed in diamond. just instalocked hog and nobody complained wtf

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Oh. It looks like EMP DOESN'T remove personal shields, despite everything everybody's been saying.

You can see in the kill cam that Zarya's barrier was knocked off, she was hacked, but her personal shields are still up.

I think Kana mentioned this.

It seems that EMP will negate Reinhardt/Zarya's barrier but the barrier will still protect anyone being protected by them as usual.

So the EMP should strip her shields if she doesn't have barrier up when you use it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Holy shit it's Little Bo Reap
    uHzK1ux.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    why do I love this game so much?

XL93XiX.jpg
    7dgdsTd.jpg

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    noice, tried competitive for the first time after not playing since release week and got placed in diamond. just instalocked hog and nobody complained wtf

Roadhog is almost always a good pick and if you put up results people generally don't get mad

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I've lost my connection during competitive placement matches twice. Both times while winning. I DON'T HAVE MANY WINS, C'MON GAME

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I've lost my connection during competitive placement matches twice. Both times while winning. I DON'T HAVE MANY WINS, C'MON GAME

Only happens when winning.

This discussion has been closed.