As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] THE NATURE OF MONKEY WAS IRREPRESSIBLE

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Well, no Bloodfang for the launch skin, and Valeera is a combat rogue basically, but master Valeera gets pants so I'll be picking that up.

Her master skin really pulls a lot of the recognizable stuff from Bloodfang with the helm/shoulders. Its not bloodfang exactly, but certainly makes me think of it when I see it.

I'm suppppper hyped for Valeera. I always played rogues, and even if its ANOTHER WoW assassin, im still super excited.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Well, the Thistle Tea reference basically confirms that she'll use Energy, right?

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    DAMN IT

chicken and cloud, day fucking ONE

I hope they're like 50K gold instead of $$

also, Valeera's blade flurry stuns?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zOFAD6e9Bk

because I know someone is going to ask me about the reference in the new thread title

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Could it be? A good Li-Ming skin?

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    DAMN IT

Almost looks like added effects out of Vanish for her basics

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If they do a pack with Guan Yu Arthas and Red Hare then I guess I have to buy it THANKS OBAMA

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Why the hell is she Combat?

Oh, it's so they can sell a DH skin and have the animations make sense, got it.

Ugh... Disappointed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Well, that's one way to manage your expectations. =P

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Well, the Thistle Tea reference basically confirms that she'll use Energy, right?
    Does it? It might just be referencing the WoW item since she's a rogue.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I figured they did combat since the ability backstab would imply you should be behind your targets even though you don't have to be. And if it did a shadow step like teleport behind your target it's a good way to get dead from body blocking.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Assasinaton doesn't get backstab, backstab is Subtelty only. Assassination gets mutilate. Neither backstab not mutilate require being behind, though backstab does more dmg if you are.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Don't forget they're also pulling from Hearthstone and we aren't necessarily locked into the current class setup for rogues.

Back in the day every rogue got backstab, ambush, and so forth. Burning Crusade was the best rogue era in my opinion. You had two really strong builds back then -- combat and assassination. Both performed well at high tiers of play. You either went combat with bladeflurry and slice and dice, or you went assassination with mutilate and poisons galore.

• Options
    Valeera should have been about keeping up a Slice and Dice buff and 80% of her damage coming from basic attacks. Some WoW rogue she is!

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Valeera, an assassination rogue, has Sinister Strike and not Mutilate?

:'(

Looks fun. The Bloodfang master skin is a nice touch.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    forty wrote: »
    Valeera should have been about keeping up a Slice and Dice buff and 80% of her damage coming from basic attacks. Some WoW rogue she is!

Yes hello I was also Combat in TBC.

Assassination killing SnD management after that first cast made me never look back, I've not played Combat since then. I haven't even done the quest for the swords on my Sub rogue in legion.

I'm kinda sad they didn't go hard on Poison and Bleed DoTs for Valeera's kit, as nobody really does that in melee yet. Also her animations look good, but I do wish there was a bit more Blood Elf Rogue in them, like the full spin on Eviscerate or the full crouch with weapons on the ground when stopped stealth. But at least so far I'm fairly happy.

I do like the nods to the bloodfang gloves and boots in the Master Skin, and wish I could get that thing right away instead of having to play a bajillion games. Also pants! Pants top tier.

edit: also li ming finally getting a good skin thank you blizzard. I might move the 10 dollars I allocated for theoretical bloodfang skin to that. I still think Li Ming has the best base skin in the game, but I'm a big sucker for the lunar festival skins and I love the moving pattern on the dress.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    DAMN IT

I mean in the piece with Nova.

Nova gets stunned out of triple tap.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Well I'll be buying the lunar package for sure

That li ming skin is awesome

Also demon hunter Valeera is raddd

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    monkey king skin boyzzzz now we a real moba

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Machwing wrote: »
    Giant chicken mount boyzzzz now we a real moba

forty on
  • Options

Kinda curios how Kharazim with the super saiyan skin on the nimbus looks.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    DAMN IT

I mean in the piece with Nova.

Nova gets stunned out of triple tap.

Right, it looks like her QW at least get extra effects for using them out of stealth, like you would use stealth only attacks in wow.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I bet there's a talent called "Cheap Shot" that adds a stun effect to her Q when used from Stealth.

Actually, I just re-watched that video and it looks like it applies the stun effect to a regular auto attack that breaks stealth. She literally just runs behind Nova and hits her with what appears to be an auto to interrupt that Triple Tap. Also, the very first thing they show her do is stealth up and silence Jaina, and it looks like the silence effect was applied via an auto attack that broke stealth also. Like the silence on "Garrote."

• Options
    Interesting. Debuffs on attack that can be talented.

Silencing on non-skillshot out of stealtg sounds very strong for any channeled ult (except mosh I guess).

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    So all heroes are still free?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Until tomorrow.

• Options
    I played a few bot games with my roommate earlier. Tried a couple of the heroes I haven't played yet.

Samuro is deceptively difficult to use. Even against adept bot AI, you can be punished pretty hard if you don't have an escape plan. Tracer seemed to wreck his shit. She seems like a good natural counter since she's always shooting and she's hard to keep in melee range.

Ragnaros seems really strong. My buddy was actually on Rag, and he put up some pretty big numbers with him.

Varian felt like I wasn't doing much until I hit 10 and actually got to pick my class. Is that typical? Before 10 I felt super average. I went Colossal Smash and after 10 I just killed everything all the time always.

• Options
    Oh, and one of our games was on the redesigned Haunted Mines. I really liked the changes they made.

• Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    You're certainly right about Varian pre-10. He doesn't feel complete until he hits his power spike at 10.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I played a few bot games with my roommate earlier. Tried a couple of the heroes I haven't played yet.

Samuro is deceptively difficult to use. Even against adept bot AI, you can be punished pretty hard if you don't have an escape plan. Tracer seemed to wreck his shit. She seems like a good natural counter since she's always shooting and she's hard to keep in melee range.

Ragnaros seems really strong. My buddy was actually on Rag, and he put up some pretty big numbers with him.

Varian felt like I wasn't doing much until I hit 10 and actually got to pick my class. Is that typical? Before 10 I felt super average. I went Colossal Smash and after 10 I just killed everything all the time always.

Yeah, mostly.

The thing about Varian is that pre-10 he's just kinda there. He's just sort of a warm body with a Stun. It's a really good Stun, mind you! But he can't really do much himself pre-10 except for setting up kills.

Once you get your Ult at 10 you become A Real Boy and can actually do stuff. You can grab Taunt and become a legitimate maintank. You can grab Twin Blades and have incredible sustained DPS/self-healing. You can grab Colossus Smash and OBLITERATE someone.

The OTHER thing about Varian is that he gets INCREDIBLE power spikes at each talent tier. Level 4 gives you Warbringer, Level 7 gives you Second Wind/Victory Rush, Level 13 gives you Banner, Level 16 gives you Juggernaut.

There isn't a single talent tier that isn't a huge fucking powerspike for him. But until he hits 10 he can't really do much by himself.

I think that's okay. Varian's an incredibly versatile and powerful character, his talents are all fucking amazing, I think it's fine that he doesn't "turn on" until 10. S'better than waiting til 16! :rotate:

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Varian is kinda bad until 7, then merely mediocre until 10. The multiclass thing is real interesting but I think that part of it needs some work. The buffs at 10 are enormous, so obviously the pre-10 numbers have to be much lower for him to not just run a train on the world post-10. But that makes playing him for the first 7 minutes of the game very difficult, especially now that he doesn't go supernova at 10 like he used to.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Zeratul screwed Zul'jin out of a good /dance.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Varian is kinda bad until 7, then merely mediocre until 10. The multiclass thing is real interesting but I think that part of it needs some work. The buffs at 10 are enormous, so obviously the pre-10 numbers have to be much lower for him to not just run a train on the world post-10. But that makes playing him for the first 7 minutes of the game very difficult, especially now that he doesn't go supernova at 10 like he used to.

Seems like this could be fixed by his pre-lvl10 stats being a bit higher but compensating with his lvl 10 choice having a smaller buff and higher penalties so that at lvl 10 he still ends up in roughly the same spot he is right now.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think he's gonna be niche in pro-play because his pre-10 pay is a huge liability to your team. The other team, if they are smart and organised, will absolutely be all over your team and dominating objectives and getting to 10 first and basically putting Varian's team in a joke every time.

• Options
    Tried out varian and really liked him!

So ummmm, to stun or take invulnerability? Both are super useful, in both tanking or dps mode.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options

So ummmm, to stun or take invulnerability? Both are super useful, in both tanking or dps mode.

It's really hard to not take the stun. Pretty much always take it unless the other team is literally all ability damage.

• Options
    Also, I love winning HL games that still devolve into toxicity. Wow.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I only take Shield Wall when the other team has like, idk, Chromie+Li-Ming or something.

Really just Chromie, honestly, if she's going to absolutely ruin my day.

But otherwise please please please take Warbringer. It's an amazing fucking stun and it's practically mandatory. I mean, it is mandatory.

Like lemme put this another way. A lot of people think Tank Varian means they have to take the Parry talents. This is honestly a bit of a trap mentality. Tank Varian has so much health anyway that he really doesn't need the Protected, and if you don't take Warbringer that means you are lacking peel and engage. Also, Live by the Sword at 7 is no bueno, just take Second Wind/Victory Rush instead.

Shield Wall is only a viable choice for DPS Varian, imo, and only in very specific niche circumstances. Baseline Parry is already a very very good ability.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    if you ever want to have literally zero fun, end up in a QM game against Butcher and Zeratul with Abathur, Valla, Sylvanas, Gul'dan and Nova on your team.

They also had an abathur, and Zeratul + Zeratul copy literally instant killed anyone on our team because we had so little hp and zero CC. Blink instakill wormhole. It was... so stupid. I thought there were rules about getting literally zero melee, but I guess not. Shame because the match before that we actually had a good team, and then it decided to flip the double birds.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Posting this... for a friend...

joq2addvzqdd.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra