As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I'm now closing in on hour 6 of researching Pebble alternatives and... I had no idea that there's really nothing which has roughly the same functionality around the same price range. There's stuff which is close to being close, but nothing quite there.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    What functionality is missing?

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Pebbles have given me a combination of solid battery life, good outdoor visibility, detailed notifications, a scrollable calendar, always-on screen (which I recently found out in a meeting is useful for my colleagues), sleep tracking and a vibrating alarm that actually wakes me, all for anywhere between AUD 150 and 200.

Plus the Time is well proportioned to my apparently tiny wrists and doesn't necessarily look like some obtrusive piece of tech.

The app ecosystem is also a blessing. Having everything from tram times to my 2FA codes to how long I should be brewing my tea on my wrist is brilliant.

There are definitely watches out there that hit almost all of those, but don't have battery life and are wildly out of the price range I sit in. And there are things which have good battery life, but lose functionality like the always-there calendar or having detail in notifications beyond an app icon. (And those watches vary from AUD 80 to AUD 600+.)

Edit: Also I'm on iOS which limits some options, like the Gear Fit 2 (which actually looks p good and maybe the closest in all except battery life). At least I'm no longer using WP, then I really would have (virtually) no options.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Microsoft is building an x86 emulator into Windows 10 that will allow it to support ARM chips.

Highlights from the article:
    • Initially, Microsoft will support the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processors, and laptops are expected to be the first devices we’ll see in the market next year. Microsoft is enabling Windows 10 to support ARM chips directly by building an emulator into the operating system. Devices will be able to run x86 win32 applications like Chrome or Photoshop, but Microsoft won’t be emulating x64 variants of these apps.
    • There will be support for peripherals, applications, and even enterprise capabilities. Microsoft isn’t detailing exactly how its emulation works, but developers won’t have to do anything special to get their apps to run on ARM chips. The regular MSI or EXE packages will work just like they do on machines with Intel chipsets. The differences will be largely in performance. Microsoft will be emulating the CPU instruction set, which means that any apps that are CPU heavy will still have greater performance on Intel-based machines. The rest of the I/O, like memory, storage, or graphics, will be intercepted by the emulator and handled natively by the operating system.
    • Microsoft isn’t providing any incentives for laptop makers to choose ARM, and Myerson says “Our plan is to license Windows consistently across chipsets.” That doesn’t necessarily mean that ARM-powered laptops will be cheaper, and because of the license cost they could still have a slight premium over Chromebooks like we see today.

jgeis on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Wow, maybe my phone might finally get some apps on it...

• Options
    I wonder if we'll actually get a high end Surface phone now?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm a bit worried about what is going to happen with my pebble.

While I like the notifications being piped through my wrist what I need it for is the calender functions.

I get notifications of what I am teaching next, where and more importantly I get a twenty minutes heads up for the end of the period and a ten minute warning for the end of the period.

That and the battery life are my two key things.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Battery hasn't been a big deal for me on my Apple Watch, but I know it's nowhere near the life of its competitors. It would run 4 days as a squeaker I think, but I throw it on the charger every night and forget about it. For people with more devices I can see that being more of a hassle.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a bit worried about what is going to happen with my pebble.

While I like the notifications being piped through my wrist what I need it for is the calender functions.

I get notifications of what I am teaching next, where and more importantly I get a twenty minutes heads up for the end of the period and a ten minute warning for the end of the period.

That and the battery life are my two key things.

Oh shit this is brilliant. I need to do this. How did you set yours up?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I just have my calender in my phone have alerts set to at the begining of event, ten minutes before the event and twenty minutes before.

It honestly justified the purchase to me, before having a pebble was nice, but having my watch track my classes makes things so much easier, and if it broke, I'd buy another smart something just to keep the feature because I rely on it that much and never watch the clock in class.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just have my calender in my phone have alerts set to at the begining of event, ten minutes before the event and twenty minutes before.

It honestly justified the purchase to me, before having a pebble was nice, but having my watch track my classes makes things so much easier, and if it broke, I'd buy another smart something just to keep the feature because I rely on it that much and never watch the clock in class.

Yeah mine is very useful so I get email notices from teachers right away so I know if I need to respond about scheduling quickly or not as I am often away from my computer working with students.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Battery hasn't been a big deal for me on my Apple Watch, but I know it's nowhere near the life of its competitors. It would run 4 days as a squeaker I think, but I throw it on the charger every night and forget about it. For people with more devices I can see that being more of a hassle.

4 days? that sounds pretty good, I remember the original moto 360 could barely do a day, let alone multiple ones.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    4 Days seems way longer than everything I've seen. They've all said 18 hours max. I'm curious to know how you are using it to stretch the battery that long.

• Options
    Yeah, if you could get four days out of the apple watch I'd go in for one.

• Options
    Yeah, if you could get four days out of the apple watch I'd go in for one.

Ditto. Battery life has been the main deterrent for me.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    though I guess it depends if tube meant it squeeked by with 4 days, or 4 days with the screen off as just a notification speaker, I was assuming the former

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I consistently get basically 2 full days out of my second gen moto 360 still

Like tube I usually just plop it on the charger at night anyways so it's not a huge issue for me but it's nice if I spend a night elsewhere and don't have the option to charge it.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    was this pebble chat pre or post the news that fitbit bought pebble

poo
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
  • Options
    i don't know why i was too dumb to click 1 page back sorry

poo
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    My biggest issue with Android Wear watches is how huge they are. Pebbles are normal sized where as even the smallest Android Wear watch is 0.25-0.5in bigger in diameter. That, for me, is just way too big.

I can deal with charging it every day or two, but the size is the main thing that will keep me waiting on the third or fourth generation. That is assuming smart watches are still a thing in a year or two.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Has HTC/Valve ever said how much the R&D budget on the Vive was/is?

From the sales figures they released they've made at least 100 million on headset sales. I wonder if that even makes a dent.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Has HTC/Valve ever said how much the R&D budget on the Vive was/is?

From the sales figures they released they've made at least 100 million on headset sales. I wonder if that even makes a dent.

Gross revenue? Because the parts in those things can't be cheap either.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    So I have an older HP laptop that won't wake from sleep. It just seems to crash when I close the lid. I just have to hold the power button until it hard reboots. It throws up an error code using the keyboard lights that says there's a CPU fault, but the PC functions normally otherwise and there's no other evidence that the CPU is faulty.

I've gone through a bunch of Google results looking for answers and nothing has worked so far. Has anyone else had a similar issue with their HP or other laptop?

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    HP laptops have the lifespan of rats. It is known.

• Options
    Man, this one has been rock-solid otherwise, I'd really hate to get rid of it at this point. It is like 5 years old now, but it performs well still and I've extended it's life with an SSD, new battery, and new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Computer people: come tax time me and the lady are looking at going in on an iMac to do our photoshop/illustrator work on because my MacBook Pro is getting on in years and her air straight tells her "no" trying to do the illustrator stuff she needs to do

So, I'm looking into it and yeah they are expensive. So I'm also looking into building my own box and loading it up with macOS. anyone with experience doing this? what sort of money would I be saving on something comparable to the... 5k or whatever iMacs? What kind of monitor would I need to find that is also comparable?

I won't lie though just even the thought of having a dumb little box hanging out under the desk makes me wanna drop that iMac money anyway but I'm trying to be smart here

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Computer people: come tax time me and the lady are looking at going in on an iMac to do our photoshop/illustrator work on because my MacBook Pro is getting on in years and her air straight tells her "no" trying to do the illustrator stuff she needs to do

So, I'm looking into it and yeah they are expensive. So I'm also looking into building my own box and loading it up with macOS. anyone with experience doing this? what sort of money would I be saving on something comparable to the... 5k or whatever iMacs? What kind of monitor would I need to find that is also comparable?

I won't lie though just even the thought of having a dumb little box hanging out under the desk makes me wanna drop that iMac money anyway but I'm trying to be smart here

If you do work for money on the machine, don't do a Hackintosh. You can get it kinda working, but there will always be issues.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    You can get a hackintosh working for less than an actual Mac.

But then it becomes a constant fight with any OS updates and tweaking things hoping that it all doesn't just break one day.

It's a lot like running a bleeding edge prototype linux distro, you spend more time tweaking and bug fixing than you do on actual work.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    I barely got a full day out of my Apple Watch when I bought it, but after the 3.1 update it's lasting for 3-4 days. I still charge it every night, but it's good to know I don't have to.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    My biggest issue with Android Wear watches is how huge they are. Pebbles are normal sized where as even the smallest Android Wear watch is 0.25-0.5in bigger in diameter. That, for me, is just way too big.

I can deal with charging it every day or two, but the size is the main thing that will keep me waiting on the third or fourth generation. That is assuming smart watches are still a thing in a year or two.

The 2nd Gen Moto 360 solved this for me because it's smaller, but Motorola said they're done with watches :(

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    a+ answers everyone thank you that pretty solidly makes me decision thanks!

• Options
    I barely got a full day out of my Apple Watch when I bought it, but after the 3.1 update it's lasting for 3-4 days. I still charge it every night, but it's good to know I don't have to.

Wait really? Is this standard? Because I went and checked on the Apple site during the conversation to see if there was an update to them that I missed and it still said 18 hours.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse about my FFRK problem.

Better I think?

At least the million dollars on game of war was less of a waste of money than Kings season tickets.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Once again a package ordered on Amazon Prime and shipped through USPS has not arrived on the scheduled date. Granted it's Christmas but this is multiple orders in a row that have not been delivered on time. Luckily they're not gifts but I was looking forward to using and setting up what I had ordered. I'm going to be away from home all day tomorrow, so it's as if the order is arriving two days late.

I have another order arriving next week, and if that's late too then I'll send a formal complaint to Amazon and USPS.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular

Wait really? Is this standard? Because I went and checked on the Apple site during the conversation to see if there was an update to them that I missed and it still said 18 hours.

It's pretty well reported for people with the latest watch releases (1 and 2): http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/31/apple-watch-battery-improvements/

Not sure why Apple hasn't advertised it though. Most people are saying it's doubled the expected battery life, which is a hell of an improvement.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

It's pretty well reported for people with the latest watch releases (1 and 2): http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/31/apple-watch-battery-improvements/

Not sure why Apple hasn't advertised it though. Most people are saying it's doubled the expected battery life, which is a hell of an improvement.

It sounds better word of mouth, also then they aren't pigeon holed if the 3rd gen watch has worse battery life.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Once again a package ordered on Amazon Prime and shipped through USPS has not arrived on the scheduled date. Granted it's Christmas but this is multiple orders in a row that have not been delivered on time. Luckily they're not gifts but I was looking forward to using and setting up what I had ordered. I'm going to be away from home all day tomorrow, so it's as if the order is arriving two days late.

I have another order arriving next week, and if that's late too then I'll send a formal complaint to Amazon and USPS.

I wouldn't wait. Check the tracking and see where breakdown is, and complain to Amazon that they're not delivering on an incentive you're paying money for.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    what 27" monitor or so is good to buy
    i was just gonna get whatever the latest dell was I guess? I dunno?

or are those 34" wide ones ever worth getting ( i figure nah)

i need a much bigger monitor

i have been using this dell 2005FPW since well, about 2005

(it's been a good monitor though)

poo
This discussion has been closed.