As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Double candies were nice, but not being able to catch anything BUT Haunters got old after a while.

I still think I'd take that over nothing but pidgeys and ratattas

I'd take more pidgeys. Or caterpies/weedles. They evolve a lot faster--> more exp.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I did like that event but it was sooooo short and over a holiday when I couldn't get out to really take advantage

This is what killed it for me. It was right when the cold weather hit so I couldn't really leave the house to do anything. Whereas the Halloween one was right when it was beautiful outside.

Yeah for me it was especially cold around that time so it was like, why would I want to go out?

Honestly, I don't like so many holidays clustered in the winter that require a lot of activity. Feels like another "we live in California so we don't understand that is sucks going outside in -20 degree weather..." thing.

Sorry california, you don't understand the rest of the US. :p

I just did car p0okemon, but yeah the cold has me thinking about getting real exercise clothes.

My problem with that is most nests cannot be done from a parking lot. But also it's still really cold even in my car, so it's hard to get motivated to go out

Yeah, I know I'm lucky. As for why your car is cold, turn the heater on? What I don't get, is that a lot of stops were made by ingress players. Were I live, most of those players put a lot of stops that can be gotten by a car. I guess I just learned what I can get from the car.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I did like that event but it was sooooo short and over a holiday when I couldn't get out to really take advantage

This is what killed it for me. It was right when the cold weather hit so I couldn't really leave the house to do anything. Whereas the Halloween one was right when it was beautiful outside.

Yeah for me it was especially cold around that time so it was like, why would I want to go out?

Honestly, I don't like so many holidays clustered in the winter that require a lot of activity. Feels like another "we live in California so we don't understand that is sucks going outside in -20 degree weather..." thing.

Sorry california, you don't understand the rest of the US. :p

I just did car p0okemon, but yeah the cold has me thinking about getting real exercise clothes.

My problem with that is most nests cannot be done from a parking lot. But also it's still really cold even in my car, so it's hard to get motivated to go out

Yeah, I know I'm lucky. As for why your car is cold, turn the heater on? What I don't get, is that a lot of stops were made by ingress players. Were I live, most of those players put a lot of stops that can be gotten by a car. I guess I just learned what I can get from the car.

That still means driving for a bit until the heater kicks in :P Or like, even walking out to the car in the cold :D It's not that the whole thing is cold moreso I can look outside, see that it looks miserable, and not feel motivated to leave the house :D

But yeah, PokeStops are not that much of an issue. My problem are actual spawns. There is very little that actually spawns from a parking lot for me - most it has seemed you need to travel a decent ways into the park/whatever to get at. Also a lot of parks around here flat out don't *have* parking other than on the street which I don't particularly want to do (I have done it, but it's not great and I feel a little weird about it at times :P). Just as an example, one of the places I liked to go over the summer was a big lake. But nothing particularly good spawned in the parking lot there - you had to take the trails down to the lake and walk around it to get at the nest pokemon (which can be fun when it's nice out, but it's not right now :D).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I haven't been playing much lately. Even calling my infrequent logins "playing" is a bit of a stretch.

But I was in Chicago this past week for work, and I got a lot of PKGo in while I was there. Here's a quick trip report:

-- Caught enough Shellder's to evolve to Cloyster. I previously had a Shellder, but only one and it was from an egg
    -- Caught my very first Magnemite (new Dex entry!) and caught two more over the trip, so I've got a little bit of candy but not much
    -- Caught a few Jynx's, which I already had, but Ice is a pretty rare type in 1st Gen and this was progress towards my ice badge
    -- Caught three Drowzee's. I already had a couple caught so this was progress towards evolution, but I'm not quite there yet
    -- Caught one Squirtle, which isn't that big of a deal, but I still don't have my Blastoise evolution so it was progress!

I also had a big disappointment. Electabuzz showed twice on the Nearby feature, but because I was working I wasn't able to go looking for it. I don't have an Electabuzz in my dex yet so that would have been a nice catch. Ahh well.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I haven't been playing much lately. Even calling my infrequent logins "playing" is a bit of a stretch.

But I was in Chicago this past week for work, and I got a lot of PKGo in while I was there. Here's a quick trip report:

-- Caught enough Shellder's to evolve to Cloyster. I previously had a Shellder, but only one and it was from an egg
    -- Caught my very first Magnemite (new Dex entry!) and caught two more over the trip, so I've got a little bit of candy but not much
    -- Caught a few Jynx's, which I already had, but Ice is a pretty rare type in 1st Gen and this was progress towards my ice badge
    -- Caught three Drowzee's. I already had a couple caught so this was progress towards evolution, but I'm not quite there yet
    -- Caught one Squirtle, which isn't that big of a deal, but I still don't have my Blastoise evolution so it was progress!

I also had a big disappointment. Electabuzz showed twice on the Nearby feature, but because I was working I wasn't able to go looking for it. I don't have an Electabuzz in my dex yet so that would have been a nice catch. Ahh well.

Chicago is pretty dope for PokemonGo. When I go back to Chicago when visiting family its like the only time I log into it. Seattle hasn't been very good for PokemonGo. :(

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Story time!

My neighborhood Instinct crew has a cluster of maybe 15 gyms that are more or less always always ours, and another 10 at the periphery that we frequently hold but don't actively maintain. This is not easy because some of the local Mystic players are very salty about us having any territory at all (they own like 70% of the city) and attack us constantly.

We caught wind that they were planning a massive 20-person raid, with many traveling in from other counties, to smash all our gyms and replace them with Mystic towers. They ended up having 2 squads executing a pinsir attack, one from the north and one from the south.

Naturally, we gathered our own 15-person squad (hey, we'll never have mystic's numbers) to counter-raid. We waited til they had put up 2 or so gyms--to see who was in their crew--then launched a fleet of 4 cars to rove the area and smash Mystic towers as soon as they came up.

Then we started actively trolling their training efforts by knocking out their karps, forcing them to train less efficiently or leave in frustration.

They raged a little bit and knocked out a couple more of our gyms out of spite before heading home. One car threatened to call the cops for... reasons? After they left we rebuilt everything, including our periphery gyms, to 10.

...and then we raided some of their home gyms and built Chansey towers on their charred remains. Today we're fanning out and trashing any gym we see that has someone in the raid party in it.

They ended up with a net gain of 0 to -4 gyms, depending on the player, and we all collected 10 before going to bed.

We ain't to be trifled with, yo.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I didn't realize any teams playing this game were that organized...

I can't imagine actively going to another county just to play Pokémon go.

Edit: that's an awesome story, just not something I would have ever thought possible.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    ...and then we raided some of their home gyms and built Chansey towers on their charred remains.

This should be against the Geneva Convention.
    I'm so proud of you guys, btw

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    They ended up having 2 squads executing a pinsir attack, one from the north and one from the south.

Intentional? :P Or did they literally attack with Pinsirs?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    They ended up having 2 squads executing a pinsir attack, one from the north and one from the south.

Intentional? :P Or did they literally attack with Pinsirs?

Lol best iPhone "correction" I've had in quite a while

• Options
    edited January 2017
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I can't imagine actively going to another county just to play Pokémon go.

I wouldn't myself. I'm happy being able to claim a 10 gym daily bonus regularly, and avoid using my car for the express purpose of playing PokemonGo. For me, spending $$ on gas just to claim a dollar's worth of funbucks is silly. This weekend was an exception because it was a blast to drive around a counterraid strike team.

Some people in my metropolitan area are absolutely bugshit about this game though. Folks will drive over to nearby cities and towns on raids. There's this Valor dude who brags about the 20+ gyms he's gotten over multiple counties. It's pretty dumb. I was honestly flabbergasted when my group told me how many people were out to get us this weekend and how far they traveled to do so.

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Europe pokedex is finally complete. The big question is what next?

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Our local ingress group has weekly meetups for pizza and smash-n-grabs. I haven't gone to one in a while, but it was usually 8-10 people from about a 20 mile radius. I can't imagine that Pokemon GO would attract fewer players.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Now that I'm back in KC and not in Chicago, I'm back to the doldrums in this game. Every time I boot it up anywhere -- at home, work, or just out and about, it's the same ol' crap. Venonats, Ratattas, and Pidgeys as far as the eye can see.

I picked up a few more dex entries in Chicago, and could have gotten a few more if I was there longer and had a bit more time to explore. But being back home, my desire to play is basically back to nil. There's just no prospect of dex completion here anymore.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Now that I'm back in KC and not in Chicago, I'm back to the doldrums in this game. Every time I boot it up anywhere -- at home, work, or just out and about, it's the same ol' crap. Venonats, Ratattas, and Pidgeys as far as the eye can see.

I picked up a few more dex entries in Chicago, and could have gotten a few more if I was there longer and had a bit more time to explore. But being back home, my desire to play is basically back to nil. There's just no prospect of dex completion here anymore.

There is if you walk and hatch eggs.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Woo, finally got enough candy to evolve a Dragonite. I can finally stop driving around that crappy apartment complex with the big lakes!

Actually it's probably time to give things a rest entirely until the rest of Gen 2 comes out.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Data mining of the new patch revealed sun stones and moonstones. So it looks like we'll be getting new ways to evolve soon. Also more moves and other things seemingly in preparation for the gen 2 release.

I'll just wait patiently for that.

• Options
    Data mining of the new patch revealed sun stones and moonstones. So it looks like we'll be getting new ways to evolve soon. Also more moves and other things seemingly in preparation for the gen 2 release.

I'll just wait patiently for that.

Here's to hoping that the new Fighting moves (Counter, Close Combat, Dynamic Punch, Focus Blast) don't suck as bad as the current set.

I really, really want Heracross to be good so that we finally have a hard counter to Snorlax and Lapras.

• Options
    Ugh, quick and depressing coda to my earlier story. That mystic crew we valiantly repelled on Sunday? A bunch of them drove out and raided us again. On a weeknight. On a Wednesday.

Didn't even bother building anything, they just took out every Instinct gym they saw.

I really fucking hate people sometimes. Why go to such great lengths to bully the weakest team in the game?

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Why go to such great lengths to bully the weakest team in the game?

I don't understand why people go to great lengths to build gyms up to level 10. I wish people would leave them at level 3, so I can get my 10 cents for the day and move on with my life.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Why go to such great lengths to bully the weakest team in the game?

I don't understand why people go to great lengths to build gyms up to level 10. I wish people would leave them at level 3, so I can get my 10 cents for the day and move on with my life.

Honestly, I agree. They should just lower the threshold of people who can be in a gym to 6 (if not lower) and be done with it. Current gym system really seems to be bringing out the worst in people.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Anyone having issues logging into the app after the update?

• Options

What's it doing? Does it just freeze once the app loads? (usually looks like your avatar on solid white, but nothing works and you have to force close it)

• Options

What's it doing? Does it just freeze once the app loads? (usually looks like your avatar on solid white, but nothing works and you have to force close it)

Or just not logging in. Like it is right now.

• Options
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Well I think I am out. My S4 Active is having all sorts of problems with the screen. I need to get a new one, but I am going to get an S5 Active off of Ebay. Most are Unlocked, which this game doesn't allow.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    So sweet, this latest nest migration has put a Kabuto nest near my work. I was able to catch two at lunch. At least something nice is happening in this game again :P

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Did they drastically reduce revive drops? I used to have to throw them away constantly and now I have to leave mons dead to save the revives for attacking gyms.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    It's still 3-5 per stop. They may have redistributed towards balls, though.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    It may just be the luck of the draw too. I went through a phase a couple weeks ago where I only got 6 revives in an entire week of casual play. The next week? 45 revives with about the same amount of playtime. Random number generator is random.

26904.png
  • Options
    Yeah I stopped bothering with gyms but it does seem like I have less. I think they emphasized balls much more.

Side note, I am loving this Kabuto nest. It's a dumb thing but it feels like a reason to actually turn on the app. I'm about half way to a Kabutops

• Options
    So my new unlocked phone lets me play Pokémon Go. I thought that was forbidden. Perhaps it is jailbroken and not factory unlocked phones.

I finally caught a Snorlax. Only 339 CP, but that is one more for the Pokedex.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Just using thread activity as an indicator of game interest, it seems like this game is extremely down in amount of time people are playing it.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I haven't logged in in just over a month i think

Not much point

• Options
    edited February 2017
    So good job Niantic. After the latest patch, the game now crashes if I try to look at the trainer profile. I googled and it seems to be a common problem (only solution is "roll back the patch" -_- ) Do you guys, like, even test this stuff? How is that a thing that could have been missed?

So I can't swap my buddy pokemon out until they fix that. *sigh*

Edit: OK, I found a work around. For some reason if I log out and back in, I can access my journal again... At least once. I swapped out my buddy pokemon, but then maybe because I changed some settings (they never save when you log off - turned off music and sfx, and turned on battery saver) it now crashes again. Tried turning battery saver back off but it still crashes. Maybe it's the music? Honestly tho, I suspect it's not loading something that is for some reason loaded correctly during a fresh login. Maybe changing settings at all ruined it...

Edit: Yeah, I put all settings back and it still crashes. *sigh* At least I found a temporary work around if I need to swap my buddy again

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/valentines2017

Trainers,

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, we couldn’t think of a sweeter time to double the amount of Candy you’ll earn every time you catch, hatch, and transfer Pokémon. Your Buddy Pokémon is also getting into the Valentine’s Day spirit and will find Candy twice as fast!

Throughout the celebration, you’ll notice that Chansey, Clefable, and many other adorable pink Pokémon will be encountered more frequently in the wild. Cleffa, Igglybuff, and Smoochum will also be more likely to hatch from Eggs. And to help you paint your town pink this Valentine’s Day, Lure Modules will last for six hours for the entire duration of the event.

This limited-time celebration will only be available from 11:00 A.M. PST on February 8, 2017, to 11:00 A.M. PST on February 15, 2017, so grab your valentine, get out, and explore the world around you!

—The Pokémon GO team

• Options
    Event sounds pretty good to me. I will miss the free incubator a day, though.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Wow, six hours for a lure module? That's quite a bit. Figured the event would have double candy - only makes sense. It's too bad none of those pokemon are ones I need though - but I guess it might be nice to actually see a Chansey in the wild (my only one was from an egg)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Yeah Chansey would be nice since it's basically a tank.

• Options
    Yeah, the double candy will only be helpful if I see things other than pidgeys and rattatas. I haven't see anything interesting in like two weeks of casually checking the app.

I've still got a big list of stuff I need to evolve, but it's all rare stuff that just doesn't spawn around here.