As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Change of Direction?

noobertnoobert Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I am currently approaching the end of my Advanced Diploma in Programming and have been looking at possible employment opportunities for once i graduate. I have started to notice a few scary things.

To even have a chance at getting a job i will need to either do the Microsoft exams or go to Uni, and even then i would be looking making less a year than i would if i took my current computer system sales job full time.

The kicker is, i don't really like programming. But i do really like my current sales job, I like dealing with people, I'm good at it. In my course i am a mediocre student, scraping through with low B's. At work i am often up with the best.

I know there are lots of opportunities to move up from an entry level coding job, but what about the retail world? Is it realistic to use my current sales job as a leg up to becoming a sales rep for a larger wholesaler? How far up the ladder could i climb?

noobert on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In sales? Dude, sky's the limit. Potential for HIGH 6 figures. Boat sales, car sales, house sales, or use your diploma and do technical sales.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you're good at sales and are making good money doing it, I'd say finish your courses and keep going with the sales job. Especially if you find the prospect of a coding career boring.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!