As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[College Football] is Great. Long live College Football.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    i feel like this season has more demonstrated that the B1G needs to redo the divisional setup so that you don't end up with 2 2 loss teams in the championship game over a 1 loss team

which would be easy if you just make non conferences count toward the championship game

Better solution: kick everyone out that they've added in the last 25 years (sorry Nebraska, I actually like you) and play a round robin. The Big 12 has the best set up, hilariously.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2016
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think putting OSU at 4 is a good idea because without the conference championship game, I like that they would have to play through Alabama to get anywhere. It seems like a solid choice. "You get in without winning your conference, but you have to take the hardest road."

And I want to reward the teams that had the best seasons. And going by that, Ohio State should be the #2 seed, Clemson the #3, and Washington #4.

As fans, we definitely want Ohio State to stay over Washington, so we keep the encouragement to play and beat good teams in the non-conference. Clemson went and played Auburn, so that's not so bad in my mind.

One of the reasons they are getting in, though, is their quality win over Oklahoma. If their big ooc win was vanderbilt I don't think they get in without the conference championship.
    I think putting OSU at 4 is a good idea because without the conference championship game, I like that they would have to play through Alabama to get anywhere. It seems like a solid choice. "You get in without winning your conference, but you have to take the hardest road."

And I want to reward the teams that had the best seasons. And going by that, Ohio State should be the #2 seed, Clemson the #3, and Washington #4.

As fans, we definitely want Ohio State to stay over Washington, so we keep the encouragement to play and beat good teams in the non-conference. Clemson went and played Auburn, so that's not so bad in my mind.

I get what you're saying

but they also didn't win their conference

so it all depends on what the committee values more and that's kinda hard to determine given their arcane demon summoning magic for the rankings
    Ultimately I think that the top 4 stays put as is, but yes it will be good to find out what they value.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Assuran wrote: »
    My regular season top 10:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Clemson
    4. Washington
    5. Michigan
    6. Penn State
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Wisconsin
    9. USC
    10. Florida State

I'd put Colorado at 10, personally. And if this is a "who had the best season?"

Best team is different and I think I have USC all the way up to 6 at this point.

Alabama, Michigan, Washington, Ohio State, Clemson, USC, Oklahoma, Penn State, Wisconsin, Colorado

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    i feel like this season has more demonstrated that the B1G needs to redo the divisional setup so that you don't end up with 2 2 loss teams in the championship game over a 1 loss team

which would be easy if you just make non conferences count toward the championship game

Better solution: kick everyone out that they've added in the last 25 years (sorry Nebraska, I actually like you) and play a round robin. The Big 12 has the best set up, hilariously.

I do miss the Pac 10 round Robin. But yay, utah, or something

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I like the round robin setup

actually ya know what it might work out if we still have the championship game too, that way if you have a 2014 baylor tcu thing again you make them play one another and one team thus has 2 losses

• Options

One of he reasons they are getting in, though, is their quality win over Oklahoma. If their big ooc win was vanderbilt I don't think they get in without the conference championship.

I get what you're saying

but they also didn't win their conference

so it all depends on what the committee values more and that's kinda hard to determine given their arcane demon summoning magic for the rankings
    Ultimately I think that the top 4 stays put as is, but yes it will be good to find out what they value.

I don't think conferences are at all relevant without balanced scheduling. Conferences are too big to be meaningful and play too disparate of schedules. Wisconsin swept their division (clearly indicating they're the best team) and almost didn't make the Big Ten title game because they had to play both Michigan and Ohio State, while Nebraska didn't.

• Options
    or just go OOC games count toward conference champion and ya gotta play 2 P5 teams out of your 3 OOC games

with the way scheduling is done well in advance you have no idea if the team will be good or not. alabama lucked out with usc, ohio state lucked out with oklahoma, texas wouldn't have lucked out with noter dame as your counter example

• Options
  • Options
    or just go OOC games count toward conference champion and ya gotta play 2 P5 teams out of your 3 OOC games

with the way scheduling is done well in advance you have no idea if the team will be good or not. alabama lucked out with usc, ohio state lucked out with oklahoma, texas wouldn't have lucked out with noter dame as your counter example

That's even more random! If we're going to change how it works, make it so that ONLY division games count. The standings should be judging the same thing for everybody as best as is possible. NFL schedules are nice this way, as divisions play themselves twice (6 games), one division in their conference in its entirety (4 games), one division in the other conference in its entirety (4 games) and then 2 randos who had comparable records to yours the previous season. So everybody in your division has 14 common opponents and you get a valid comparison.

• Options

That's even more random! If we're going to change how it works, make it so that ONLY division games count. The standings should be judging the same thing for everybody as best as is possible. NFL schedules are nice this way, as divisions play themselves twice (6 games), one division in their conference in its entirety (4 games), one division in the other conference in its entirety (4 games) and then 2 randos who had comparable records to yours the previous season. So everybody in your division has 14 common opponents and you get a valid comparison.

the problem I ran into with that is by keeping the OOC games you still end up in a situation like this season where penn state only had 1 conference (or division loss) and so did ohio state but penn state also had a 2nd loss out of conference. and if we want the conference championship to mean something that would have to be put on an even field somehow that feeds into the conference play

i mean theoretically you could have a team lose all 3 OOC games and still win the conference which is pretty silly too

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I don't think there's ever a real way to prevent undeserving teams from making it to a conference championship game

it's part of the inherent silliness that comes with the sport

I do think the divisions need to be better, though

• Options

the problem I ran into with that is by keeping the OOC games you still end up in a situation like this season where penn state only had 1 conference (or division loss) and so did ohio state but penn state also had a 2nd loss out of conference. and if we want the conference championship to mean something that would have to be put on an even field somehow that feeds into the conference play

i mean theoretically you could have a team lose all 3 OOC games and still win the conference which is pretty silly too

You just hate Oklahoma, don't you? :P

But the idea is to find the best team within the division. If they have the best record inside the division, they're the best. Who cares if they lost to some good teams in the non-conference.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I don't think there's ever a real way to prevent undeserving teams from making it to a conference championship game

it's part of the inherent silliness that comes with the sport

I do think the divisions need to be better, though

I don't even think PSU was undeserving. They played well against the competition in front of them and Michigan blew it by six inches or a shitty call. I just loathe the institution and their fanbase and think Michigan and Ohio State were both better football teams, who did not necessarily have better conference seasons.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options

But the idea is to find the best team within the division. If they have the best record inside the division, they're the best. Who cares if they lost to some good teams in the non-conference.

Look maybe this helps me down the road who's to actually say (it's 11:45 PM and OU still sucks) but you still end up with a point where penn state wins the division and ya know what fuck it let's just go back to the computers and add the playoff on top of that

• Options

Look maybe this helps me down the road who's to actually say (it's 11:45 PM and OU still sucks) but you still end up with a point where penn state wins the division and ya know what fuck it let's just go back to the computers and add the playoff on top of that

As a fan of #3 in the computers, I am all for this.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Assuran's radical solution to College Football:

Realignment with a hard cap on leagues having only 10 members, each league playing round robin. 7 league winners get auto bids, 1wild card team.

The ACC

Clemson
    Duke
    Florida State
    Georgia Tech
    Louisville
    Miami
    North Carolina
    NC State
    South Carolina
    Wake Forest

The Big East:
    Boston College
    Cincinnati
    Maryland
    Penn State
    Pittsburgh
    Rutgers
    Syracuse
    West Virginia
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech

The Big 10:
    Indiana
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Northwestern
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Ohio State
    Purdue
    Wisconsin

The Misfits
    Arkansas
    Boise State
    BYU
    Colorado
    Colorado State
    Missouri
    Notre Dame
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech
    Utah

The Pac 10
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    California
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    UCLA
    USC
    Stanford
    Washington
    Washington State

The Plains (aka former Big 12)
    Baylor
    Houston
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Texas
    TCU

The SEC
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    LSU
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt

This will never happen, and I'd be open to some movements within the setup, but I hate 14 team leagues.

Assuran on
  • Options
    I love almost everything about that

I'd swap TAMU for TCU though. If we're living in a fantasy land, we gotta bring TAMU back into the same conference as Texas

• Options
    Add the mid majors and bump it up to 16 and I am 100% on board.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    The only thing Houston deserves to move up to is a dumpster fire.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    I mean

after losing Herman they're not quite in dumpster fire territory

but they're at the store with a list that says "matches and gasoline and maybe Les Miles"

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I mean

after losing Herman they're not quite in dumpster fire territory

but they're at the store with a list that says "matches and gasoline and maybe Les Miles"

Yes, but consider; they suck and are bad and fuck 'em.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    After a year of taking a ton of hits, Francois gets the Michigan defensive line. Oof.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I would like to think Ohio State gets put at 4th for not winning the B1G championship, and everyone else moves up

it would make sense too. 13-0, 12-1, 12-1, 11-1. Washington and Clemson have better percentage wins

But nowhere near the quality of wins. Neither will have a top ten win, probably. Clemson will have two in the 11-15 range though. Washington will have one or a top ten, depending where they put Colorado (I'd imagine behind Oklahoma and USC for sure, maybe someone else).

EDIT: Buffs could get passed by FSU I guess, which would give Clemson a top ten win.

Ohio State will have three top ten wins, two on the road.
    By that logic we should arguing about where to slot Pitt.

• Options
    look it's been a stressful season let's all just watch this beautiful video

also how would losing Herman take them out of the dumpster fire i'm confused

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I would like to think Ohio State gets put at 4th for not winning the B1G championship, and everyone else moves up

it would make sense too. 13-0, 12-1, 12-1, 11-1. Washington and Clemson have better percentage wins

But nowhere near the quality of wins. Neither will have a top ten win, probably. Clemson will have two in the 11-15 range though. Washington will have one or a top ten, depending where they put Colorado (I'd imagine behind Oklahoma and USC for sure, maybe someone else).

EDIT: Buffs could get passed by FSU I guess, which would give Clemson a top ten win.

yes, exactly

PITT

IS

IT!

• Options

Quality (and number) of losses counts too! Which helps OSU and Washington, hurts Clemson.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I still don't get why Clemson is given such a pass. They struggled with some seriously mediocre teams, and their best wins are about the same caliber as UWs.

• Options
    look can we all agree that Bama is gonna win the natty and we're all just fighting for 2nd place

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I still don't get why Clemson is given such a pass. They struggled with some seriously mediocre teams, and their best wins are about the same caliber as UWs.

Two reasons:

1) The committee apparently doesn't give a shit about margin, which is absurd
    2) Comparison:(Rankings projected from tomorrow)

Clemson's best wins:
    at (10/11) Florida State, at Auburn (14), Louisville (13), Virginia Tech (25ish)
    Clemson's loss:
    Pitt (24)

Washington's best wins:
    Colorado (10/11), at Utah (19/20), Stanford (18), Wazzou (just outside rankings)

UW's loss: USC (9)

That's closer than I thought, but it was pretty obvious before the Pac 12 title game. Eye test wise I agree UW is better.

For reference, Ohio State, which is why they should be ahead of those teams:

Best wins:
    (5) Michigan, at (7/8) Wisconsin, at (7/8) Oklahoma, Nebraska (unranked)
    Loss: (6) Penn State

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    WE

FUCKING

ARE

PENN STATE!

Super drunk from the bachelor party, but didn't mean to leave you hanging.

• Options
    OK, to expand on my very rude instant reaction, here's why I'm mad about Penn State:

Gus Johnson referred to this win as "part of the healing process." In so doing, he was quoting James Franklin who said exactly the same thing after they beat Ohio State, who was in turn echoing the sentiment of the majority of Penn State football alums and frankly the majority of the fans I've seen express sentiments with regards to Paterno (with exceptions, including on this board so kudos to y'all).

In so doing, it conveys the narrative that Penn State was a victim of the Sandusky scandal. Which is such bullshit and is infuriating. There was no witch hunt. Joe Paterno was, at best, indifferent to sexual abuse of children. He deserved to be fired and cast out in shame. The football program should have been (temporarily?) ended because it had clearly grown to corrupt the entire athletic deparment's priorities, if not those of the entire institution.

The only people who need a "healing process" are Sandusky's victims. Penn State needs self-awareness. This nonsense about the healing process is insulting and disgusting. And since the current head coach embraces that narrative, I continue to loathe that institution and its fan base with every fiber of my being.

And fuck Gus Johnson too. He's entertaining in close games, but not worth that.

• Options
    OK, to expand on my very rude instant reaction, here's why I'm mad about Penn State:

Gus Johnson referred to this win as "part of the healing process." In so doing, he was quoting James Franklin who said exactly the same thing after they beat Ohio State, who was in turn echoing the sentiment of the majority of Penn State football alums and frankly the majority of the fans I've seen express sentiments with regards to Paterno (with exceptions, including on this board so kudos to y'all).

In so doing, it conveys the narrative that Penn State was a victim of the Sandusky scandal. Which is such bullshit and is infuriating. There was no witch hunt. Joe Paterno was, at best, indifferent to sexual abuse of children. He deserved to be fired and cast out in shame. The football program should have been (temporarily?) ended because it had clearly grown to corrupt the entire athletic deparment's priorities, if not those of the entire institution.

The only people who need a "healing process" are Sandusky's victims. Penn State needs self-awareness. This nonsense about the healing process is insulting and disgusting. And since the current head coach embraces that narrative, I continue to loathe that institution and its fan base with every fiber of my being.

And fuck Gus Johnson too. He's entertaining in close games, but not worth that.

I think it's a bit of a chicken and an egg problem Bum. I've expressed on here multiple times the shit I've gotten just for wearing PSU stuff around (thankfully that's dropped off in about the last year and a half, but for a while it was pretty bad, and thats out here in fucking Seattle, let alone the midwest or east coast). Like, even if you didn't give a shit about football in the slightest, it became a point of contention for a ton of people. I got asked about it in multiple job interviews, which is insane.

And what am I supposed to say as an alum and fan? If there was a legal path available to me to remove the assholes on the BoT, I'd be all for it. But most are governor or industry appointed. Everyone else involved was immediately shit canned as they should have been (besides McQueary, who rightfully just won his suit, but I maintain was a shitty coach).

Yeah, there's some delusional parts to the fan base that still think Paterno is infallible and was railroaded (I would argue the worst offenders of this are the individuals that never even attended the school, but I have no real data to support that, just anecdote/feelings from interactions). But you might be viewing this through some seriously rose tinted glasses if you think if something came out about Hayes or Schembechler that there wouldn't be just as big a part of OSU or Michigan fans that would do the same thing. Hell, look at the Gibbons/Lewan thing from the ancient, far back times of 2014. Brandon finally got fired for treating the fans like shit, and Hoke for not winning games. Not because your fan base was up in arms that they covered up rape allegations to keep a fucking kicker eligible (If Gibbons had been a punter, that would have been the most B1G story ever). And you guys hated those two Michigan staff members.

Yet the common refrain is "Let's punish these unrelated parties for nebulous reasons, and brand the entire university as enablers" and then the justification for those punishments and branding is "See how upset these enablers get when we punish them for nebulous reasons? Clearly they need to be punished." It's circular logic that is largely driven by tribalism on both ends, is is pretty much completely unrelated to the actual issue.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Completely unrelated:

It is super fucking sweet that on that 4th and 1 stop to end the game, it was Allen and Haley that combined to hold Clement short.

Edit: And in the utter insanity that is this years PSU team, lets recap.

Lost time of possession 37 minutes to 23 minutes.
    Lost the turnover battle 0-2.
    Averaged 1.8 ypc on the ground and only 51 yards total.
    Went 3-10 on 3rd down.
    Went 0-3 on 4th downs.

Won by a touchdown and led for the last 13:40 of the game.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Your winners this week are Randy Butternubbs" and _game_bum! Congratulations!

And... the overall winner is ishNub! Congratulations!

I just want to close by saying that I had fun doing this again for the second year in a row. I hope we'll all be back next year. Thanks for playing!

Thanks for running this!

Definitely kept me paying attention, especially with Georgia struggling.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I don't understand why they bother having conference championships if you're just gonna stick a team that didn't play in one in the playoff.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Ohio State
    Washington

That's your playoff, in ranking order.

Penn State and Michigan are 5th and 6th.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I don't understand why they bother having conference championships if you're just gonna stick a team that didn't play in one in the playoff.

Because they're the best team in the conference regardless of the conference championship game.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2016

They are rewarding Ohio State for playing a tougher schedule and winning their games.

Conference championship games are just extra games.

Edit: it is absolutely ludicrous to argue that Ohio State doesn't deserve a spot in the playoff you would basically be saying that the literal only thing that matters is winning a conference

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular

Because they're the best team in the conference regardless of the conference championship game.

And regardless of head to head

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Then just award the conference championship to the top-ranked team since that clearly matters more and stop having conference championships.

This discussion has been closed.