As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Submit to the Peace of Kyros! [Tyranny]

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    Finally decided to buy this game as a Christmas treat to myself.

Decided to roleplay as a (mostly) reformed criminal turned fatebinder who is really dedicated to just doing her job and is willing to hurt people to do it, but only if it's the obvious best solution to whatever her current job is. Enemies of Kyros are not something to be hated but merely obstacles to be removed, whether through violence or otherwise. Polite, soft-spoken, but if you decide to put your own personal ego or ambition in the way of the job that she literally has to do? (Or else she, and probably also you, and probably also everyone else you know, dies?) Well, she's a motherfucking civil servant who doesn't have time for that shit. Lady has a lot that she needs to do and guess what, she's part of the evil empire's HR department so COOL YOUR SHITS YOU STUPID EXCUSES FOR MINIONS.

that's pretty much how I played it

in fact I just finished it

thoughts
    I intended on sticking with Kyros, actually

I'm all about DAT PEACE

but then when it became clear that one archon was batshit and the other was...well, waiting to die, basically (Ashe, perhaps weirdly, wound up being the most complicated character? I didn't like killing him, and I didn't like what it did to Barik), I had to take shit into my own hands, and then ultimately that meant seizing power for my own damn self? apparently?

I know that games like this feast on conflict but realistically it would have been nice if there were an ending that was like "yeah you eliminated both archons but stuck with Kyros because she's clearly the boss here"

also I kept Tunon around, that guy is clearly a force for balance in the world

all of this is a roundabout way of saying that I really really liked this game
    yeah I really wanted to unite the land under Kyros, but I guess they figured that would make for a poor sequel?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Decided to roleplay as a (mostly) reformed criminal turned fatebinder who is really dedicated to just doing her job and is willing to hurt people to do it, but only if it's the obvious best solution to whatever her current job is. Enemies of Kyros are not something to be hated but merely obstacles to be removed, whether through violence or otherwise. Polite, soft-spoken, but if you decide to put your own personal ego or ambition in the way of the job that she literally has to do? (Or else she, and probably also you, and probably also everyone else you know, dies?) Well, she's a motherfucking civil servant who doesn't have time for that shit. Lady has a lot that she needs to do and guess what, she's part of the evil empire's HR department so COOL YOUR SHITS YOU STUPID EXCUSES FOR MINIONS.

thoughts

I'm all about DAT PEACE

but then when it became clear that one archon was batshit and the other was...well, waiting to die, basically (Ashe, perhaps weirdly, wound up being the most complicated character? I didn't like killing him, and I didn't like what it did to Barik), I had to take shit into my own hands, and then ultimately that meant seizing power for my own damn self? apparently?

I know that games like this feast on conflict but realistically it would have been nice if there were an ending that was like "yeah you eliminated both archons but stuck with Kyros because she's clearly the boss here"

yeah I really wanted to unite the land under Kyros, but I guess they figured that would make for a poor sequel?

There actually is a way to do that. Kind of.
    Just let the Edict of Execution timer expire. Everybody in the valley dies, the last bit of resistance is crushed and the world is united under Kyros.

And hey, it's not like Kyros can let you live, so it's the only appropriately loyalist outcome.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

thoughts

I'm all about DAT PEACE

Regarding Barik
    Try Verse.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    goddess, I love this game so much

had to uninstall it to keep me binging longer than I have already

gonna save it for the next time some real shitty political news hits

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I am probably going to play this game on another path (besides anarchist) real soon.

I just super like the lore and worldbuilding of Tyranny?

The way magic works? Of having individuals (the archons) who seemingly will magic into existence simply by living exceptional lives, and literally everybody else is just copying their power. Of Kyros' power essentially being to create region destroying "unnatural" disasters that follow certain rules that are unbreakable. (if not unbendable)

Tunon and his whole court of traveling adventurer-judges? Rad. Just about everything about the beastfolks? Rad. Even the plucky rebel factions barely holding on? A lot of them are pretty darn rad too.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I technically did the scarlet chorus path (I might, uh, have betrayed them at the last possible moment)
    and I deffo played the anarchist path

next one I'll do is the rebel path
    and then I'll finally go with the disfavored

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    The footnotes built right into the game was an inspired design choice

• Options
    I really hope it carries over to PoE2.

Also, I would like some info on PoE2.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »

This aroused me a little

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

This aroused me a little

time to get creative *cracks fingers*

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    They had those in PoE too didn't they?

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular

What do you mean? (I haven't played it yet)

• Options
    Within dialogue or text boxes (like reading a book etc) certain words- like setting-specific terms, or names or suchlike are highlighted. You can click on them and it pops up a little footnote entry (and the footnotes also have footnotes in them, too).

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Within dialogue or text boxes (like reading a book etc) certain words- like setting-specific terms, or names or suchlike are highlighted. You can click on them and it pops up a little footnote entry (and the footnotes also have footnotes in them, too).

Oh, that actually sounds very nice.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    They had those in PoE too didn't they?

Not as smoothly integrated as Tyranny has them.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

One of the characters has footnotes in their dialogue for telepathic conversations he has with you!

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

One of the characters has footnotes in their dialogue for telepathic conversations he has with you!

Sold!

• Options
    yeah that was a very nice little touch. great use of the mechanic :D

• Options
    Go Scarlet Chorus, boo Disfavored

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I haven't played in a while but I was 90% through rebel and like 30% through disfavored

scarlet chorus seems so pointless. you know exactly what they are, there are no surprises

• Options
    Well I mean I've only played for a couple of hours, my view on them might change.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    if you like them probably not, but they are exactly what they are advertised as and that makes them boring to me.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Jars wrote: »
    I haven't played in a while but I was 90% through rebel and like 30% through disfavored

scarlet chorus seems so pointless. you know exactly what they are, there are no surprises

Yeah but at least I'm not supporting a bunch of 3rd reich wannabes.

This is basically me in the Disfavored camp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

TheStig on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I KNOW it was SO GOOD I can't believe it took until 2016 for a game to do that

• Options
    I am probably going to play this game on another path (besides anarchist) real soon.

I just super like the lore and worldbuilding of Tyranny?

The way magic works? Of having individuals (the archons) who seemingly will magic into existence simply by living exceptional lives, and literally everybody else is just copying their power. Of Kyros' power essentially being to create region destroying "unnatural" disasters that follow certain rules that are unbreakable. (if not unbendable)

Tunon and his whole court of traveling adventurer-judges? Rad. Just about everything about the beastfolks? Rad. Even the plucky rebel factions barely holding on? A lot of them are pretty darn rad too.

I am super in love with the setting and I really hope they revisit it

Obsidian as the new Spiderweb except they make games I actually want to play is totally fine by me

• Options
    When I saw the footnotes in Tyranny I was wracking my brain trying to remember where I'd seen footnotes used like that before.

Turned out it was Pillars of Eternity so it was just Obsidian again, hahahaha

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Obsidian have been dropping some hints:

4af4j7eppivb.jpg

iqwvv33bkbl9.jpg

• Options
    ohhhhhhh shit

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I DON'T GET THESE REFRENCES

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

They are references to things in Pillars of Eternity. So they are probably getting ready to announce a sequel.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

The pipe, wheat and the chat of a dead, forgiving God is obviously Edér talking about Eothas.

The key, the tome and the willingness to keep certain secrets secret is most likely Mage Aloth talking about the Big Reveal of Pillars of Eternity.

Basically, Pillars of Eternity 2 is coming.

And it looks like at least some party members will be back.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    As long as Edér is back, I'm happy

I love many of the other party members

But I would damn them all to hell in order to hang out with Edér some more

• Options
    Going through PoE as a priest of Eothas sure was a thing.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Straightzi wrote: »
    As long as Edér is back, I'm happy

I love many of the other party members

But I would damn them all to hell in order to hang out with Edér some more

"We blew 'em up."

Love the delivery on that line.

Oats on
  • Options
    man I really gotta finish Pillars

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    man I really gotta finish Pillars

Me too, but bluhhhhh

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I wasn't the biggest fan of the main campaign in Pillars. The White March is pretty great though.

• Options
    Pillars is damn good and I am hype for a sequel

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I may go back to PoE if I can find a good character build guide

I feel like I made a bad character on my first attempt, and the game kinda got away from me

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, PoE definitely had some proficiency trap problems. Which were exasperated by the fact that in some places it's really similar to (BG style) D&D, and in other places it is radically different. So if you go in assuming either one or the other of those is true, you might get fucked.