As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

News Reader

muninnmuninn Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I am looking for a reliable newsgroup reader, something that can handle 10 simultaneous connections and is preferably free. Had mixed results with newsbin. Any suggestions? (windows platform)

muninn on

• Options
    bigtimeslackerbigtimeslacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i used to use a program called newsleecher around a year ago, not sure of the current status of the program tho.

bigtimeslacker on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I believe Mozilla Thunderbird should work just fine for Newsgroups.

Edit: Yep.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    embrik wrote: »
    I believe Mozilla Thunderbird should work just fine for Newsgroups.

Edit: Yep.

Its abilities are very limited, to say the least. It won't join together binaries for you, for example.

Doc on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Use Grabit! I've never had a problem with it and I've been using it for years.

www.shemes.com

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

www.shemes.com

I love GrabIt. But, if you have multiple news servers and you want to download a binary from all of them (splitting the workload between the servers) there's another program called BNR. Thus you might be able to fully download a multi-part article even though none of the news servers has all the parts, as long as each part can be found in at least one of the servers. Also it is faster, obviously, than downloading the whole thing from one server.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fristle wrote: »

www.shemes.com

I love GrabIt. But, if you have multiple news servers and you want to download a binary from all of them (splitting the workload between the servers) there's another program called BNR. Thus you might be able to fully download a multi-part article even though none of the news servers has all the parts, as long as each part can be found in at least one of the servers. Also it is faster, obviously, than downloading the whole thing from one server.

Grabit can handle simultaneous connections, as the OP asked... although I'm not sure if he specifically meant from one server.. so yeah if you are splitting it from multiple news servers you might want to get what Fristle suggested (which sounds really awesome, I hate when my news server doesn't have all the parts).

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png