As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam - Final Winter Charity Total: $5,315.84

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    Is that guy wielding a chicken drumstick as a weapon?!

Edit: Oops. Re: the Pit People screenie.

No, that would be silly.

It's a turkey leg.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I've had silent storm installed for ages.

Started seriously playing it last night

Only 4 hours sleep.

This is me with Psychonauts.

Did you guys know Psychonauts is super good? Of course you did, because I am the last person ever to play it.

Well, not the last . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    Guys. Guys. I have a new laptop on its way home right now. It's got a 1060 in it. Fucking stoked.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    Big thanks to @Quical for Stardew Valley! <3

StardewValleyQuical_zpsbhhzcrsw.jpg

That's the no wish list thing working as intended. I ditched it about a year back when I realized it had become a repository for games I kinda maybe sorta might want. And I feel like I've been coming out ahead when people shoot me games they really enjoyed instead. It gets me to play stuff I probably wouldn't otherwise and I usually discover that it's a well loved game for good reason. :D

That is actually a really clever way to discover new good games.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Speaking of no wishlist, I just imported my wishlist into an Excel spreadsheet, which means I can finally purge my grotesque, barely useful Steam wishlist now if I want to.

(If you're wondering how I did it easily, I use Enhanced Steam and at the bottom of the Wishlist page it has your entire purchaseable wishlist in one big wall of text and a price to buy everything at once. Each item is delineated by commas, so I just put that blob of text into a website that turns commas into line breaks and put that all in Excel. Of course, it doesn't bother to list items that are not purchaseable on Steam anymore, of which I apparently had ~100. Some of us are still waiting for WWE WrestleFest to come to Steam!)

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Mugen Souls now off the backlog for the challenge. It was a fun little game for the most part, though it had some annoyances in the form of the entire Moe Kill system and the Peon Ball going critical to kill everyone in your party because the game doesn't like you wiping the field with cheap AoE spells constantly. Story was decent enough and didn't make me outright angry like Fairy Fencer did because the protagonist changed for the better over the game, while still remaining who they originally were personality-wise. I got the Normal ending and apparently the True ending is when you get 20% Charm Level across all seven forms, go deep into the Mugen Field to get all the events, and some other stuff. I might do that before starting on Mugen Souls Z, the sequel, but that'll be at a later time. Compile Heart games aren't something I want to overload on.

Thanks again @ReverseCreations for the game. Now I need to figure out what else is on my backlog that I'd like to grab from.

• HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Haha. The first giveaway I've entered in months and ...

ArcanumPixie_zpsta6vxklu.jpg

*removes entry*

Thank you @Pixelated Pixie! I've heard a lot of good stuff about this one over the years and I'm looking forward to checking it out for myself. <3

Also some things ended while I was busy taking down Xolotl.

signature.png

Tyranny goes to @RisenPhoenix!

signature.png

Stellaris goes to @Grove!

I've sent some friend requests at both of y'all. Hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

steam_sig.png
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    @HyphyKezzy Thank you so much! I've got three days off before a business trip on Thursday.

Guess what I'm gonna do :P

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular

?.png

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Having some downtime and an unquenchable urge to kill led to replaying the original Max Payne, which I snagged along with the second game during the sale so I'd have them on Steam. I was quite curious to see how it held up, and the short answer is 'pretty good' with a 'but' that comes from old games running on modern systems. Still a solid game overall, and it sparked an urge to plow through the rest of the series. At-length pondering and some sizable plot spoilers for all three games under the cut, for anybody that hasn't played through but is planning to:
    The first game still plays well in general, but there was some physics wonkiness where Max would sometimes get stuck on walls that weren't there. More problematic is a weird bug when the game exceeds 60fps - and since it was made in 2001, that's "pretty much always" - and causes jumps to quickly lose forward momentum. This made it tricky, though not impossible, to make certain jumps, particularly in the dream sequences and certain other puzzles. Shootdoges also routinely fell short. Amusingly this applied to cutscene physics as well; the scene where you chase Vinnie across some rooftops led to him falling to his 'death', and the game just went on like normal (he was waiting at the next scripted sequence).

That aside, it's weirdly charming to see a game try so hard to avoid foul language, despite dealing with mobsters, drug dealers, and corporate hit squads. While the plot doesn't feel particularly dated, it's very much an artifact of its time: a pre 9/11 action game that ends with you atop a skyscraper shooting down a helicopter without giving a single spoken fuck. I think 'hell' is literally as bad as it gets as far as cursing goes; MP1 earns its M-rating almost solely on the strength of killing enough people to constitute a war crime. While the pulpy style of writing got silly at times - to the point where the devs themselves made fun of it in the second game - there was a surprising amount of legitimately good writing. Lines like "Everything was subjective; there were only personal apocalypses. Nothing's a cliche when it's happening to you," managed to stay with me years after the fact.

There's no question MP2 is both a mechanically better game and the peak of the series in terms of narrative and thematic strength; still, there were things I preferred about the first. Boss fights in MP1 often were annoying damage sponges, but the characters themselves were simple, effective archetypes backed by unique encounter design, like catching a mob enforcer literally with his pants down or chasing a dirty cop as he tries to flee a parking garage. The levels in MP2 were memorable, but apart from the principal villains you're mostly just shooting the same guys over and over. There's no sense of progression in terms of danger or significance, and they never seem like they're running out of pop-up targets. You start the game fighting contract killers working for the conspiracy, and you end the game pretty much the same way.

Those are minor quibbles in the end, as blazing through the second game was every bit as satisfying as I remember. It's remarkable how well the game's crescendo moments come together, usually when Max and Mona are going back-to-back and leaving trails of corpses in their wake; getting to play as her was a welcome touch and she could easily have gotten more screen time. The pulpy noir monologues got better, keeping just the right flavor of cheese to contrast with strong moments of character development; fitting for stylish gunplay and stone-serious cutscenes. Background material like the TV shows and minor details in the dreams still do a fine job showing Max's inner turmoil as he's put through one hellish firefight after another. It's not at all subtle, but it fits the comic book motif they went for. Hand to god, I still got goosebumps as the credits started rolling and "Lake Goodbye" picked up.

Going back also let me appreciate the mechanical improvements from game to game: having a button for grenades/melee, being able to empty your clip after a shootdodge before getting up (handy if your target's not dead yet), bullet time getting slower and more pronounced with each kill, and of course that sweet, sweet Havok physics. More importantly, MP2 still runs great on modern systems. Other than a couple movement bugs that cleared up with a quickload, it ran smoothly start to finish. I confess I wasn't keen on some of the changes in the acting, and I'm not sure if it's casting or just direction. Woden in particular sounds like his own showy, Shakespeare-in-the-Park rendition of himself, as opposed to his gruffer, more economical speech in the first game. Again, minor issues; when something is so close to perfect the little imperfections stand out a little more, and there's no question that MP2 is an outstanding sequel and still one of the best action games ever made.

Then there's Max Payne 3, which remains the odd man out even though I've come to really like it. There's no getting around the fact that it struggles to feel like a sequel: it yanks control from the player to show off lavishly directed cutscenes, frequently puts you in poor positions, locks doors behind you, emphasizes cover over bullet time, restricts your inventory, and has almost no narrative ties to previous games. There are also some objectively bad design decisions. Last Stand, which gives you a chance to escape a killing blow by shooting the guy killing you (if you have painkillers handy), is fine in theory but frequently locks you in a position where you can't actually hit the guy. Hell you can't even reload a checkpoint when this happens, you have to wait to die.

And yet, it does a lot of things I do like. Taking Max out of his usual setting is a surprisingly enjoyable use of the character; putting him in a place where, for once, it's not all about him and the bad things that have happened to him. The conspiracy-heavy plot of the first two games got convoluted and yet strangely weightless, which comes from invoking the Illuminati to explain drug-peddling and whatever the fuck MP2 was about (seriously, large chunks of MP2's story are just kind of there when it's not about Max and Mona). 3, by contrast, has a surprisingly complex yet fairly grounded web of intrigue; effectively constructed A and B plots with Max as the fall guy. While James McCaffrey has trouble with convincing shouts and the writing stumbles often, it's refreshing to see Max be genuinely horrified by what he encounters, showing that he still has some moral center despite the non-stop carnage.

I'd even go so far as to argue that it escalates better than MP2. As mentioned, you end the second game fighting the same contract killers that started it all, and right to the end they feel like a parade of samey dudes who've been expecting you. MP3 takes a tack from the first game and starts you against low-rent goons; inelegant tools of some clearly more insidious force, and in this case even partly victims of circumstance. This gets more complicated as paramilitaries get involved, more organized and with better equipment, and you start to see how deep this particular rabbit hole goes. Brief glimpses into Max's past offer a welcome contrast, and it's no accident you're exposed to enemies that speak your language sparingly; a taste of what everyone else is shouting mid-fight without spelling it out for you.

It builds to a memorable conclusion as you take on the enemy on its home turf: a corrupt police unit complicit in organ smuggling, the proceeds of which go to a mayoral campaign that hired Max specifically to fail as a bodyguard. There's a real sense that you're hitting them right where it hurts, as a prison riot escalates and your enemies get increasingly desperate; the principal villains flee, and one officer just flat gives up and begs for mercy when he sees you've blasted your way through his whole squad. And then there's the airport shootout, which feels like the real climax of the game to me: the music complementing the action and painting a scene of Max realizing that his suffering isn't all that matters in the world.

It's clumsy and the wrong kind of stylish at times, but goddamn do I love how it all comes together. As I said in my Steam review, there's no way it could top the skill with which the second game ended, so I'm glad that it didn't try - but it still earns its place in the series and is a fine way to put a bow on the whole shebang. These games hold up, in each their own way, and I think I'll find it in me to revisit them from time to time.

TL;DR - The Max Payne series is still great, with 2 taking the crown as a must-play even after all these years. I'd kill for a spiritual successor that retained some of MP3's technology and structure but with the first two games' mechanical freedom and narrative style. Max has earned his rest, but if I ever say I've had my fill of quality slow-mo two-fisted gunplay, that's your cue to shoot me because that is clearly a pod person masquerading as me.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    That's XCOM 2 down. Only took me 33 hours. Really enjoyed it, as much if not more than the first. That last mission, though. Not an easy one.

edited January 2017
    st_zps4ifajjww.png

Oh I'm gonna make the BEST friends.

Forever.

Grove on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    There was some mod for mp2 that breathed new life into the game. On moddb.

Added melee and disarm. The latter broke scripted sequences as you had to track down and murder an unarmed man.

Edit: It was elements of style.

Oh good lord, that music.

RoyceSraphim on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Yeah, MP1 and 2 had surprisingly healthy mod communities; MP1 had a bunch of kung-fu mods that ranged from good to amazing. Lots of crazy flip-kicks and stuff you could do while unarmed, even Matrix-style bullet dodging. Mooks would actually drop their guns to come at you with melee attacks, and those kicks were fast as lightning. In fact it was a little bit frightening.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

?.png

wait wait, what is this?! Did Behemoth put a new game out when I wasn't looking?

EDIT - ooo! I see Pit People early access is out, nm!

vamen on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I pulled Hyper Light Drifter out of my backlog and completed my first dungeon. All it took was putting a Youtube video on my second monitor and imitating it frame by frame so I could find my fucking way around.

This game reminds me of what I don't like about the Legend of Zelda franchise. Too many how the fuck am I supposed to know that moments.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That's XCOM 2 down. Only took me 33 hours. Really enjoyed it, as much if not more than the first. That last mission, though. Not an easy one.

Now beat it with Ironman on!

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I pulled Hyper Light Drifter out of my backlog and completed my first dungeon. All it took was putting a Youtube video on my second monitor and imitating it frame by frame so I could find my fucking way around.

This game reminds me of what I don't like about the Legend of Zelda franchise. Too many how the fuck am I supposed to know that moments.

I just played through the first two Ys games and they were full of "let's sell some guide books" nonsense like that. Zero shame in walkthroughs / YouTube imo. :)

What genre would you describe house of the dead and the t2 arcade game as?

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    What genre would you describe house of the dead and the t2 arcade game as?
    Light Gun Shooter.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Rail shooters.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Rail shooters.

I got to play Silent Scope:Bone Eater at MAGfest last weekend. It was unreasonably difficult and full of anime.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Now beat it with Ironman on!

Man, I probably spent more time reloading saves than I did just playing. I'll just experience it vicariously through Beaglerush.

• HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    And @CorriganX strikes while I'm playing some Dead Space.

KNIGHTSCorriganX_zpshtjef9oq.jpg

Thanks! This looks like a pretty neat little puzzle game and I think it'll run on the tablet. Which means it can get played on my bus rides. Which I shit you not is on one of these bad boys.

yolobus_zpsnmko9gxa.png

It took me the longest time to figure out why all these young folks on the internet were repping my county. :P

<3

steam_sig.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You obviously like owls.

• RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    c1fd67e9a0.png

Thanks @HyphyKezzy ! Will be putting this to good use during nightshift.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I see that chrono.gg is currently offering all 4 Space Pilgrim games for $2 for the next 15 hours or so. I've been playing through these recently, and I'd definitely say they're worth it at that price. It's a sort-of-episodic series of point-and-click adventures that starts with a short and simple story taking place entirely on a single space ship, then quickly ramps up in size and scope with the later games. It's a point-and-click made in RPG Maker, so the interface is a tiny tad shonky, but never frustratingly so, the writing has some decent jokes and the puzzles all make sense by adventure game standards.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    edited January 2017
    Another game knocked off the backlog. This time it was Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

This is the first Shantae I played to completion. I've played a little bit of Risky's Revenge but otherwise I was going into this blind. It's a very short game, six levels in total with some goodies to find in each one. However, I do remember that two of those levels were Kickstarter stretch goals. DLC. So that would put the main game at four levels discounting those two "episodes" that may be part of the main progression but honestly they just come out of nowhere in the storyline and once they're wrapped up that's it no one mentions them again. Story was nothing to write home about. Shantae learns of a great threat to the Genie Realm, promptly forgets as she helps her uncle build a machine, does some other hero stuff, then oh no Genie Realm is now in danger because the villain is trying to destroy everything for some unexplained reason.

I found all the collectibles in this game, explored all the hidden areas, found all the dances, spells, items, etc. A big issue though is that the forms are either useless or only needed for one or two areas in the game then shove them in the box. There's 16 total dances (there's a damn BLOBFISH dance that does nothing) and you make use of three or four on a regular basis, mostly Monkey. There's also two that break the game open completely: Bat and Harpy. Bat lets you move horizontally as long as you don't have any obstacle. Harpy is free flight. In a platforming game this pretty much lets you cheese entire levels with some creative positioning.

My playtime clocked in at a little over 7 hours. For a $20 game, though I Kickstarted it. This is a very, very, VERY short game and I honestly cannot recommend it at this price point. It doesn't feel cohesive in gameplay, story, or anything really. I'm actually disappointed I backed it. Supposedly it will eventually have a story where you play through as Risky Boots but that's not in yet. What you've got is what you'll get.

Madican on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

This is the first Shantae I played to completion. I've played a little bit of Risky's Revenge but otherwise I was going into this blind. It's a very short game, six levels in total with some goodies to find in each one. However, I do remember that two of those levels were Kickstarter stretch goals. DLC. So that would put the main game at four levels discounting those two "episodes" that may be part of the main progression but honestly they just come out of nowhere in the storyline and once they're wrapped up that's it no one mentions them again. Story was nothing to write home about. Shantae learns of a great threat to the Genie Realm, promptly forgets as she helps her uncle build a machine, does some other hero stuff, then oh no Genie Realm is now in danger because the villain is trying to destroy everything for some unexplained reason.

I found all the collectibles in this game, explored all the hidden areas, found all the dances, spells, items, etc. A big issue though is that the forms are either useless or only needed for one or two areas in the game then shove them in the box. There's also two that break the game open completely: Bat and Harpy. Bat lets you move horizontally as long as you don't have any obstacle. Harpy is free flight. In a platforming game this pretty much lets you cheese entire levels with some creative positioning.

My playtime clocked in at a little over 7 hours. For a $20 game, though I Kickstarted it. This is a very, very, VERY short game and I honestly cannot recommend it at this price point. It doesn't feel cohesive in gameplay, story, or anything really. I'm actually disappointed I backed it. Supposedly it will eventually have a story where you play through as Risky Boots but that's not in yet. What you've got is what you'll get.
    Risky boots and then another as Rottytops.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »

I found all the collectibles in this game, explored all the hidden areas, found all the dances, spells, items, etc. A big issue though is that the forms are either useless or only needed for one or two areas in the game then shove them in the box. There's also two that break the game open completely: Bat and Harpy. Bat lets you move horizontally as long as you don't have any obstacle. Harpy is free flight. In a platforming game this pretty much lets you cheese entire levels with some creative positioning.

Risky Boots, Rottytops, Bolo, and Sky.

However, they're going to be DLC. And only people who backed the KS will get it for free.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Risky Boots, Rottytops, Bolo, and Sky.

However, they're going to be DLC. And only people who backed the KS will get it for free.
    Oh. The Bolo and Skye ones actually got met? Neat.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited January 2017
    I just realized this luck chain of bits in Curses and Chaos result in things that boost your income from kills.

This is a pleasing development.
    edit: I've also started slapping together a moon based shooter in gamemaker. I wasted a great deal of time in aseprite when I finally shut it down and realized I could have just modeled one leg walking, and then copy pasted that onto the other side and flipped it.

RoyceSraphim on
    Played a few minutes of Stellaris tonight and it seems really awesome.

I haven't played a ton of games like this before, so if anyone has any advice I'd welcome it. Currently just going through the tutorial and enjoying the music.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    Played a few minutes of Stellaris tonight and it seems really awesome.

I haven't played a ton of games like this before, so if anyone has any advice I'd welcome it. Currently just going through the tutorial and enjoying the music.

We gots a whole thread dedicated to the game if you want to discuss it.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Dead Space 2 was really good.

I'm in the minority that likes DS3 so I would say go ahead and play that now to round out the series. It is more of an action game than a horror game though.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    signature.png

it took a while but Stardew Valley has now been rerolled, congratulations @Spoit

steam_sig.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So its not on Steam, but it is available digitally through Origin. I finally was able to sit down and play Syndicate (2012). I really really enjoyed this game. Its a cyberpunk FPS, you play an agent working for a super corporation, sent to engage in espionage and terrorism against their enemies. Basically go in, shoot up place, steal their tech etc. You're super human, given an implanted chip that lets you use abilities to hack and override enemy's chips. You get a "suicide" ability that causes a chipped enemy to blow themselves up, usually taking out multiple others, a "Backfire" which blows up enemy's weapons, and a "Persuade" which lets the enemy fight for you for a bit, then kill themselves when everyone else is dead.

I really enjoy the combat in the game, it felt responsive, the abilities were fun to use and made some fights into puzzles where you would blow up specific people to get the most out of the suicides, etc. There were some boss fights, and like most FPS games the boss fights were very hit or miss. Some were okay, some were just really stupid bullet sponges with the added requirement of you having to "hack" through pieces of armor, before they're vulnerable again.

All in all I would really recommend playing it if you're into FPS campaigns. Its well worth the 6ish hours it takes to get through it.

Now it also has a Multiplayer mode, which is a set of Coop Campaign levels. It requires 4 players, and as you progress through the levels you make more and more money for your Corporation (You can make your own and invite friends into it) and unlock more and more abilities. I've only ever really played this mode with 3 players (everything is balanced around 4) and it was super hard but really fun. If anyone else out there has Syndicate and really wants to get into the multiplayer let me know, I am SUPER down to playing more and coop stuff. <3

Check out Syndicate on Origin people. Its been $5 before on sale (but it was years ago) and well worth that price!

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Battle Brothers just devoured another weekend.

Send help

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    The Witness is the best puzzle game I've played in years.

Zachotronics puzzle games are probably up there above it, but I always get dispirited and sputter out on them. The Witness was like 30+ hours of just determinedly figuring out the rules and applying them. Super neat, super pretty!

I guess Hexcells is the other one I'd place up with The Witness, but those are less pretty and don't let you wander around when you get frustrated.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
This discussion has been closed.