As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I posted the AV Club review for The Great Wall on my Facebook page about an hour ago. There's already two people arguing over it.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Why did John Wick kill everybody?!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog
    Edit: sure I'll spoiler this incredibly vague statement

Keanu Reeves is best when he's quiet because for some reason he sounds forced whenever he has to talk.

But great. I wish more movies had action like this. The kind you can see. I remember being disappointed in one of Civil War's fights when they started using shakey cam, which is one of the worst cinematic inventions ever made unless it's actually used to punctuate something like an explosion or the earth shaking or something.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Could you not spoil the ending to a movie that's not even out yet in some places?

sig.gif
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Kadoken wrote: »
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Keanu Reeves is best when he's quiet because for some reason he sounds forced whenever he has to talk.

But great. I wish more movies had action like this. The kind you can see. I remember being disappointed in one of Civil War's fights when they started using shakey cam, which is one of the worst cinematic inventions ever made unless it's actually used to punctuate something like an explosion or the earth shaking or something.

That is NOT a vague statement for this franchise.
    Like, the entire premise of the first film is that bad guys from John's old life come back and murder the puppy left to him by his dead wife, whom he left the assassination game to be with.

Then at the end of the movie, he saves a pit bull from a dog fighting ring.

In this movie, he's a Very Good Dog Yes He Is. The dog is instantly trained, loyal, and absolutely gentle. He doesn't want to fight, despite his past.

THE DOG IS JOHN WICK'S SOUL. John could leave him behind, but if he did, he wouldn't be the guy we want to watch three movies about.

Anyway, just got back from A Cure For Wellness, and the best comparison I have for it is that it's basically a Call of Cthulhu intro adventure. Creepy enough to hold my interest, but doesn't go full monty with the cosmic horror.
    MovieBob Review of A Cure For Wellness.

I don't like it as much as MovieBob does, because it's actually fairly predictable, and the main character is dumb as a roll of pennies, but it's amusing enough. At first I thought it was going to be like the 1970s version of The Wicker Man, but it wasn't quite THAT predictable.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hey folks.

Please don't inline an entire review of someone else's. You can quote a paragraph or two, if you need to.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hey folks.

Please don't inline an entire review of someone else's. You can quote a paragraph or two, if you need to.

Ah, not sure how to quote just a paragraph of a YouTube video; I guess I'll just link the page.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    because if he didn't the underworld assassin organization would try to kill him.

also, some people had the car that was stolen from him by different people, and were willing to give it to him so he broken in and stole it.

note: he would have murdered these people for letting his car get stolen.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    His dvr didn't record the latest Supergirl.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Like, the entire premise of the first film is that bad guys from John's old life come back and murder the puppy left to him by his dead wife, whom he left the assassination game to be with.

In this movie, he's a Very Good Dog Yes He Is. The dog is instantly trained, loyal, and absolutely gentle. He doesn't want to fight, despite his past.

THE DOG IS JOHN WICK'S SOUL. John could leave him behind, but if he did, he wouldn't be the guy we want to watch three movies about.

Anyway, just got back from A Cure For Wellness, and the best comparison I have for it is that it's basically a Call of Cthulhu intro adventure. Creepy enough to hold my interest, but doesn't go full monty with the cosmic horror.

I don't like it as much as MovieBob does, because it's actually fairly predictable, and the main character is dumb as a roll of pennies, but it's amusing enough. At first I thought it was going to be like the 1970s version of The Wicker Man, but it wasn't quite THAT predictable.

John Wick didn't save a dog from a dog fighting ring in the first movie. It was a vet's office or shelter of some kind and he stole it.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

John Wick didn't save a dog from a dog fighting ring in the first movie. It was a vet's office or shelter of some kind and he stole it.
    Yeah. But the dog did look like it had been marked down for destruction. So good on John for taking it.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    His dvr didn't record the latest Supergirl.
    Given how terrible the CW app is, I don't blame him.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Why Did John Wick Kill Everybody?!? would be a great title for John Wick 3

John Wick 4: Seriously, There is No One Left to Shoot

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Which leads to:

John Wick 5: The New Dimension of Targets.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    John Wick 4 will be a 100-minute long YouTube video where he teaches you how to pour concrete

It ends with him drinking a beer in a recliner

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    John Wick 4 will be a 100-minute long YouTube video where he teaches you how to pour concrete
    over bodies?
    It ends with him drinking a beer in a recliner
    on top of bodies?

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Yeah. But the dog did look like it had been marked down for destruction. So good on John for taking it.

John Wick
    Yes, since he didn't choose a similar breed to his murdered dog at all, I sort of presumed he took the dog that needed adopted the most. There's nothing in the movie to confirm that though.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

John Wick
    Yes, since he didn't choose a similar breed to his murdered dog at all, I sort of presumed he took the dog that needed adopted the most. There's nothing in the movie to confirm that though.
    There kind of is. Characters in the film are color coded. His wife, Daisy and Marcus all either wear gold or have gold lighting associated with them. John and the other assassins wear pure black. The other people in that world wear black and white. And Viggo wears red and has red lights associated with some of his actions. And the dog at the end is blue/black. Blue being a color associated with John during parts of the film.

• Options
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Uh.
    What is a vet's office doing in an unmarked warehouse at the docks? You do realize that this is the John Wickiverse, where literally every business we've seen is connected to crime, right? I don't think my extrapolation is unlikely. There's nothing wrong with that dog; thematically it only makes sense if he's a dog fighting dog that refuses to fight.

The scene in question
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-uDphtUDE

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Uh.
    What is a vet's office doing in an unmarked warehouse at the docks? You do realize that this is the John Wickiverse, where literally every business we've seen is connected to crime, right? I don't think my extrapolation is unlikely. There's nothing wrong with that dog; thematically it only makes sense if he's a dog fighting dog that refuses to fight.

The scene in question
    Winston's secret reward for John for completing his mission! :biggrin:

This is my head canon/a joke.

• Options
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Uh.

The scene in question

This has even less textual support than the previous theory about which dog John chose. In that there's none at all.

• Options
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Uh.

The scene in question

This has even less textual support than the previous theory about which dog John chose. In that there's none at all.

Plenty of subtextual support, though.
    I welcome any reasonable explanation for the unmarked veterinarian's office in the warehouse district/docks area.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Uh.

The scene in question

I welcome any reasonable explanation for the unmarked veterinarian's office in the warehouse district/docks area.
    Back ally doggie doctor?

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Uh.

The scene in question

He broke into it because he needed medical supplies because he just got stabbed a bunch. It's a vets office or a dog rescue shelter.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Well I saw Arrival finally. I loved the cinematography, sound design, set design, just about everything from a technical standpoint. Adams was well cast and did well portraying the lead. Renner is just so bland I can't stand it. Just Hawkeye with a smile and glasses now in my mind I guess.

I haven't seen any of the other top spot nominees for the academy yet so I guess this one wins in my book. I'm glad it got made, being an interesting and unique take on non-action sci-fi.
    Hmmm the whole soldiers listening to radio guy and being inspired to c4 the alien ship and then being able to pull it off without anyone noticing fucking bugged me from start to finish of the plot line. First of all, what is the c4 doing there? Second, isn't this supposed to be a highly sensitive and therefore supervised to all hell installation?

Stuff like that just rips me out of the film even though I was enjoying the overall story. The timeline with the child fooled me all the way until the mention of nonlinear time. I liked that but would have enjoyed more exploration of that. Maybe another example or two of what it could mean for a being to live with that sense of time.

Anyways, good movie overall and everyone should go watch it if only to bask in the light and sound.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Uh.

The scene in question

Not a pleasant one, but given the standards of the setting...
    Way station for an underground dog fighting ring. Vets or dog catchers (or whoever) that know about the underground world can send likely candidates for fights to the dock station in exchange for coin.
    Dock station patches them up if needed, treats any kind of injury or sickness to get them up to fighting condition, then moves them on.

Clearly, not a place you'd want open to the public. Could also explain why Wick's new dog was so well behaved, because it had been a pet before being picked up.

Alternative explanation: Dock workers love their pets too, and it's nice to have a vet near work so you don't have to go too far out of your way to get your good boy to the doctor.
    And it was unmarked because John was out back, hence the loading docks. I'm sure that on the other side of that building there's a big well lit sign labeling the place as a veterinarians office.
    John heard the dogs barking, figured it must be a vet and went in to staple himself shut.

see317 on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Alternate explanation. They didn't add an establishing shot for the last scene of the movie.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    John Wick 2: John Wicker is pretty dang great, huh?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Alternate explanation. They didn't add an establishing shot for the last scene of the movie.

It was the back of the building. The front may have had a huge sign with all your exposition needs.
    Like there are tiny toy dogs in that sweep of the cages. That'd be an exceptionally fucked up dog fighting ring.

Also a whole lot of neatly organized medical supplies and charting done for a dog fighting ring.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    John Wick vet scene
    I can see both sides of the vet/dog fighting arguments, however, I've never heard of a dog fighting ring that breeds things like Jack Russells and other little rat dogs. I may be totally wrong about that, since I don't know whole lot about dog fights, but Pit Bulls is pretty much what is associated with them .

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    John Wick ending:
    This dog fighting ring shit makes no fucking sense. There's a huge stash of carefully organized medical supplies, a wide variety of not-for-fighting dogs and fucking charts and files for all the dogs.

This is not how an illegal underground dog-fighting operation looks.

It's a shelter.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Dog talk
    I always assumed the dogs represented two people, his wife and him. The first one was the last gift by his wife, it was vulnerable, it was a new chance at peace, it was innocent, it took to him, and it got taken away from him. The second dog looks older, it's a mutt, it looks tired, it wants to live in peace, and it's apparently well trained since I assume barely a few days passed between the first movie and the second.

Though that makes me curious why his wife was okay marrying a super murderer. Like, the only person with the hots for Max Payne was paid to betray him and was also another super murderer.

Also, it might have been the lighting in the first movie, but damn Ian McShane has aged pretty well despite his appearance in John Wick 1. Also Lawrence Fishburn had no real point to this movie but he was super entertaining so I don't care.
    I love the idea of the "beggar king" in crime stories

Kadoken on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Uh.

The scene in question
    Thanks for showing that. I highly doubt it's for dog-fighting, because of all the medical supplies. I think it might be more likely that it's not right there at the docks. I think more probably he went walking and happened into a vets office or more sinister, a research facility. Would a vets office have a staple gun and all those med supplies? I dog-fighting outfit certainly wouldn't.

And the theme is that his wife was right: He needs something outside the shadow world to focus on, or he loses himself.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I watched Kubo and the Two Strings last night. Wow, what a beautiful piece of film-making! It was like a series of incredible paintings, and my god the stop-motion animation was unbelievable. Rooney Mara deserves recognition for her voice work in this, she did a fantastic job giving terrifying life to the witches.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    John Wick ending:
    This dog fighting ring shit makes no fucking sense. There's a huge stash of carefully organized medical supplies, a wide variety of not-for-fighting dogs and fucking charts and files for all the dogs.

This is not how an illegal underground dog-fighting operation looks.

It's a shelter.
    To be fair, I really doubt that the world of murder-for-hire is accurately represented in John Wick either. It's entirely possible that other criminal enterprises as carefully managed in this setting.

Draco asked for a reason why there'd be an unsigned vet office in the middle of the docks. That was the first thought that came to mind.
    Because my mind is stupid and completely forgot the small/toy breeds present.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Isn't that area set at a dock? It might just be where imported animals are kept for quarantine before they can be taken by their owners.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It doesn't look like a vet, it looks like a shelter or something.

• Options
    John Wick 2 was great

Stupid ending
    Should have left the dog

Uh.

The scene in question
    Thanks for showing that. I highly doubt it's for dog-fighting, because of all the medical supplies. I think it might be more likely that it's not right there at the docks. I think more probably he went walking and happened into a vets office or more sinister, a research facility. Would a vets office have a staple gun and all those med supplies? I dog-fighting outfit certainly wouldn't.

And the theme is that his wife was right: He needs something outside the shadow world to focus on, or he loses himself.

Well, there are reasons.
    First, the office he broke into was the building he crashed at. The door whose window he smashed was identical to the door of the building in the last exterior shot. Same square window.

Second, that WAS the front of the building; the address sign "313" was right there.

Third, dog-fighting rings will fix up the winner (at the very least, maybe also the loser) in a dogfight, the same as gladiators in the real world get medical treatment after a fight, so they can perform again. I admit that I'm not up on dogfighting ring etiquette (nor do I want to be), but this makes sense to me. You don't want to throw away a winner just because he got an infected scratch.

Fourth, they used to throw helpless, starving prisoners to lions in human gladiatorial games, I could see keeping a beagle or a miniature poodle around to exhibition the ferocity of the fighting dogs and I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Fifth, the John Wickiverse is super fucking elaborate in every detail. Why WOULDN'T a John Wick dog fighting ring have a fully-stocked veterinary office?

What it comes down to, is that I have no idea what the explanation is for the business that Wick breaks into at the end of the first movie. It's an unmarked, fully operational vet in the middle of the crime-infested docks warehouse area, in a world where crime is so common you can murder a dude on the subway and nobody is extremely alarmed. The extremely gentle and well-trained pit bull was scheduled for termination for unknown reasons.

Unless a forgiving god was trying specifically to reward John for killing the shit out of a bunch of Russians, a dog fighting ring was the first thing that came to my mind, and it's the thing that makes the most sense to me in terms of character advancement. Everyone sees John as a killer, like the bias against pit bulls, but he doesn't want to do it anymore, like the dog has no fight left in him (or never had fight to begin with).

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    There's nothing to support your idea, which you freely admit, and what little is there directly contradicts it. You're filling an information void with your own imagination in order to support a conclusion you've already made.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I kinda think the conversation about John Wick's dog has run its course

Let's talk about LEGO Batman or Ben Affleck wanting to quit being Batman or Matt Reeves refusing to take the Batman director's chair

This discussion has been closed.