Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Krazy Ken steps down! (SONY Reshuffles)

1234579

Posts

  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    PS3 doesn't have any announced exclusives to catapult it past 360 system sales in America yet. MGS4 and FFXIII aren't going to cut it in this market. FFXII sold 1.3 million here (so far) while MGS3 sold 3.7 million and Gears of War, a brand new IP that cost $10 more on a system with a fraction of the install base of the PS2, sold 3 million so far. When you consider the price difference and Halo 3 I just don't see PS3 selling more systems than the 360 in America. The real question, in my mind, is how long before the Wii outsells the 360? Will it? At this point I'd be willing to trade my Wii for a PS3 because there isn't jack shit on either system and I would at least use Blu-Ray.

  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    PS3 doesn't have any announced exclusives to catapult it past 360 system sales in America yet. MGS4 and FFXIII aren't going to cut it in this market. FFXII sold 1.3 million here (so far) while MGS3 sold 3.7 million and Gears of War, a brand new IP that cost $10 more on a system with a fraction of the install base of the PS2, sold 3 million so far. When you consider the price difference and Halo 3 I just don't see PS3 selling more systems than the 360 in America. The real question, in my mind, is how long before the Wii outsells the 360? Will it? At this point I'd be willing to trade my Wii for a PS3 because there isn't jack shit on either system and I would at least use Blu-Ray.

    See, IMO the strength of the PS2 wasn't how one or two games sold insanely well (though the GTA's, GT's and MGS2 certainly did), but in how a lot of games sold damn well. I mean, having a look at the million sellers on the PS2 and then how many will continue to be PS3 exclusive, there's a fair bit. From just a quick glance there's MGS4, FFXIII, FF Versus XIII, God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, The Getaway, Killzone 2 and Tekken 6 (and that isn't even including new IP's from established developers).

    Btw, I should point out that the massive sales for Gears of War is mostly because it came out so early in the 360's life. The PS2 had similar sales a year or so out from launch (GT3 sold 14 million, MGS2 sold 7 million, Jak & Daxter sold 3.2, etc) but later on the sales seem to settle down.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    So, Nintendo's profit is almost twice that of the entire Sony group?

    According to Kotaku, Nintendo made USD$1.89 billion in the past year.

    http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/nintendo-double-yearly-profits-255429.php

    Not as relevant as it might seem. Nintendo has a completely different business model from Sony and MS. MS and Sony make all kinds of products. Further, Sony and MS are significantly larger than Nintendo. (Nintendo is huge, but Sony and MS are almost an order of magnitude larger in terms of total assets.) Sony and MS operate by incurring huge losses at the outset of each console's life. They offset this with profit from their non-gaming sectors, and count on the period after the first couple years being profitable enough to more than make up for it. (MS is a little different as a result of their decision to enter the market after Sony already had pretty much eaten up all the market share, but the general principle is the same, even though MS has yet to realize a profit on their gaming business.) Generally, they plan for 18-24 months of loss, followed by 3-5 years of ridiculous profit. (Keep in mind that old consoles keep chugging well into the life cycle of new consoles.)

    Nintendo can't do that. They aren't as big, and games comprise almost the entirety of their business. They can incur minor losses for R&D, but they can't incur the sort of insane losses that result from selling their consoles for 70% of what it costs to make them while also launching ad blitzes and so on. So they design their consoles to be profitable from day one. When they sell a Wii, they make money right away. When MS and Sony sell a console, they lose money in the hopes that they'll make more later.

    tl;dr: Even if the PS3 was the fastest-selling thing in the universe, and the Wii was doing only so-so, I would still expect to see Nintendo realizing greater profit than Sony, simply because Sony's business model doesn't involve being profitable right now. They're basically using PS2 and other non-gaming products to subsidize the PS3.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Caswynben wrote: »
    What I find strange is that Nintendo is allowing Konami to basically advertise for the next Metal Gear game in one of their most popular franchises.

    Bah, Snake appeared on GC before, and Super Smash doesn't feature the MGS4 Snake. Unless... alternate skin!

    Kirby eats snake in brawl gets eyepatch.


    fuckawesome.

    hihi.jpg
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    PS3 doesn't have any announced exclusives to catapult it past 360 system sales in America yet. MGS4 and FFXIII aren't going to cut it in this market. FFXII sold 1.3 million here (so far) while MGS3 sold 3.7 million and Gears of War, a brand new IP that cost $10 more on a system with a fraction of the install base of the PS2, sold 3 million so far. When you consider the price difference and Halo 3 I just don't see PS3 selling more systems than the 360 in America. The real question, in my mind, is how long before the Wii outsells the 360? Will it? At this point I'd be willing to trade my Wii for a PS3 because there isn't jack shit on either system and I would at least use Blu-Ray.

    See, IMO the strength of the PS2 wasn't how one or two games sold insanely well (though the GTA's, GT's and MGS2 certainly did), but in how a lot of games sold damn well. I mean, having a look at the million sellers on the PS2 and then how many will continue to be PS3 exclusive, there's a fair bit. From just a quick glance there's MGS4, FFXIII, FF Versus XIII, God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, The Getaway, Killzone 2 and Tekken 6 (and that isn't even including new IP's from established developers).

    Btw, I should point out that the massive sales for Gears of War is mostly because it came out so early in the 360's life. The PS2 had similar sales a year or so out from launch (GT3 sold 14 million, MGS2 sold 7 million, Jak & Daxter sold 3.2, etc) but later on the sales seem to settle down.
    I think you need those few early system sellers to get people to actually buy the console (like GTA3 and GT3 on PS2), then you can have the dozens of million-sellers like PS2 has.

  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Weirdness: http://gonintendo.com/?p=16987

    Iwata wants Kutaragi? It might actually be a good idea, but I think he's just being nice. He has to know it would never happen.

    Not to mention Kutaragi is obsessed with high-end technology, the very antithesis of the Wii. He doesn't exactly fit in well with NCL's core ideology.

    Owlsig.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Weirdness: http://gonintendo.com/?p=16987

    Iwata wants Kutaragi? It might actually be a good idea, but I think he's just being nice. He has to know it would never happen.

    Not to mention Kutaragi is obsessed with high-end technology, the very antithesis of the Wii. He doesn't exactly fit in well with NCL's core ideology.

    Maybe they want to make him a character in SSBB?

  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Titmouse wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Weirdness: http://gonintendo.com/?p=16987

    Iwata wants Kutaragi? It might actually be a good idea, but I think he's just being nice. He has to know it would never happen.

    Not to mention Kutaragi is obsessed with high-end technology, the very antithesis of the Wii. He doesn't exactly fit in well with NCL's core ideology.

    Maybe they want to make him a character in SSBB?

    He's the hardest one to unlock. He wants you to work more hours to unlock him.

    Owlsig.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Titmouse wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Weirdness: http://gonintendo.com/?p=16987

    Iwata wants Kutaragi? It might actually be a good idea, but I think he's just being nice. He has to know it would never happen.

    Not to mention Kutaragi is obsessed with high-end technology, the very antithesis of the Wii. He doesn't exactly fit in well with NCL's core ideology.

    Maybe they want to make him a character in SSBB?

    He's the hardest one to unlock. He wants you to work more hours to unlock him.

    He has a stage called Ridge Racer that takes place on a ridge with F-Zero cars going by..

  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought "Riiiiiiidge Racer!" was Kaz.

    Owlsig.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I thought "Riiiiiiidge Racer!" was Kaz.

    Oh. I get them mixed up. In that case, the stage will run at 120 FPS and one of the attack buttons will only work half of the time, but you can't complain because
    Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that.

  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, This "Satoru wants Ken" thing, does it mean that Nintendo wants to win over Playstation loyalist or do they want Blu-Ray 2 on the Nintendo Wii-station 2? They do need to get some R&D going now that they are in this position. I'd love to see Nintendo break out some chip fabs and stop relying on other companies for this stuff.

  • ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Oh, hell no. Nintendo's business strategy and Ken's are diametric opposites. If Nintendo even THOUGHT about hiring this man I would tear out my hair by the bloodstained handfuls!

    I wouldn't mind if Bill Gates considered making Ken part of the Xbox 360 team, since his plans for the system are more in line with what Kutaragi has done with the Playstation 2. Maybe with his guidance, Microsoft would finally sell more than a thousand 360s a week over in Japan.

    JR

    Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • edited April 2007
    ken kutaragi masterminded the creation of the two most popular videogame consoles in history

    i'd hire him as a consultant, were i in the field, just to see what he had to say

    probably it would be like "WE SHOULD HOLLOW OUT THE MOON AND TURN IT INTO NEW CONSOLE"

    but still

  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If I ran any big international corporate entity, I would hire him as a "product developer"

    Really, he wouldn't do shit, I would give him an office and a secretary to shout at, but I would have hired him so that I could describe all my future products as "From the makers of the Sony Playstation tm"

  • edited April 2007
    also, didn't ownage jones say he'd eat his cock if ken was taken off the playstation team or something?

  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    also, didn't ownage jones say he'd eat his cock if ken was taken off the playstation team or something?
    I can't find it, but I dodn't look very hard.

  • edited April 2007
    i just want someone to eat their cock

  • DukhatDukhat Registered User
    edited April 2007
    We really don't know if the Ken's decision with the PS3 was a mistake yet.

    Even if Sony isn't first in marketshare its pretty much guaranteed a very sizable 3rd place at worst.

    What's really interesting about the technical specifications of the PS3 is its scalability. Once cell-chips maturity, Sony will be able to make future game consoles by simply adding more cell processors and another layer on the blu-ray drive. Its the fastest scalable architecture out there in the computing world right now which is why its being used in huge mainframes. Owning that tech which is about half of the console's power is a pretty nice trump card to have in the future.

    In addition, Sony already established that making a combo machine works with the PS2. This time they did it very early in the life cycle of Blu-Ray though versus relatively mid-term in the lifecycle of DVD. It may still pay off if Blu-Ray wins.

    So at the end of this generation Ken may still be heralded as a genius.

    IMO, they would've been better off making the PS3 400 dollars with Blu-Ray and making it have lesser graphics than the 360. They could've differentiated the system in other ways such as giving it 768 mb total system ram so that worlds could be bigger relative to the 360 (and better utilizing Blu-Ray).

    It all really depends on how fast they can get that PS3 price down.

    Holla!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A sizable 3rd place is a failure for a product that is supposed to succeed the PS3.
    Wouldn't adding more cell processors make it harder to develop for?
    The PS2 sold partially because it was a DVD player. With the PS3, Sony is hoping that Blu-Ray will be successful because people will buy the PS3.
    So at the end of this generation Ken may still be heralded as a genius.
    All of his retarded quotes will prevent that from happening.

  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dukhat wrote: »
    What's really interesting about the technical specifications of the PS3 is its scalability. Once cell-chips maturity, Sony will be able to make future game consoles by simply adding more cell processors

    Not without making it more difficult to develop for.
    which is why its being used in huge mainframes.

    No it isn't. IBM provides Cell-based blade servers, and their next "big" mainframe that will be using Cell hasn't been built yet, and it probably won't be started for a while since they only announced it last September.

  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited April 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    i just want someone to eat their cock

    NSFW

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DukhatDukhat Registered User
    edited April 2007
    http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2006/09/15/ibms-bladecenter-qs20-using-ps3s-cell-processor-technology/

    "The BladeCenter QS20 is being adopted early mostly by research-based or academic organizations. This is to be expected, what with the cell being used in a multitude of ways, including quite a few medicinal applications (aside from a fantastic cure for boredom, we hope) like being used in MRI's and X-Rays. Even if the PS3 doesn't do as well as we'd hope, all of us need to admit that the cell processor is going to revolutionize technology. Let's all raise our glasses and toast the cell processor, the bringer of many a good thing now and in the future!*"

    BIased source, but relevant enough. Cell is the most powerful scalable architecture out there at the moment.

    And in case you haven't noticed, ALL COMPUTERS ARE GOING MULTI-CORE. Intel's Roadmap include up to 16 core processor's to be released in the near future.

    Multi-core programming is the future, whether it's "easy" or not.

    Holla!
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    i just want someone to eat their cock

    NSFW


    I can't believe I fell for that.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dukhat wrote: »
    We really don't know if the Ken's decision with the PS3 was a mistake yet.

    Even if Sony isn't first in marketshare its pretty much guaranteed a very sizable 3rd place at worst.

    What's really interesting about the technical specifications of the PS3 is its scalability. Once cell-chips maturity, Sony will be able to make future game consoles by simply adding more cell processors and another layer on the blu-ray drive. Its the fastest scalable architecture out there in the computing world right now which is why its being used in huge mainframes. Owning that tech which is about half of the console's power is a pretty nice trump card to have in the future.

    In addition, Sony already established that making a combo machine works with the PS2. This time they did it very early in the life cycle of Blu-Ray though versus relatively mid-term in the lifecycle of DVD. It may still pay off if Blu-Ray wins.

    So at the end of this generation Ken may still be heralded as a genius.

    IMO, they would've been better off making the PS3 400 dollars with Blu-Ray and making it have lesser graphics than the 360. They could've differentiated the system in other ways such as giving it 768 mb total system ram so that worlds could be bigger relative to the 360 (and better utilizing Blu-Ray).

    It all really depends on how fast they can get that PS3 price down.

    While the PS3 is, technically speaking, a nice machine, Ken's design was a HUGE mistake in the financial sense, in that it's losing Sony tons and tons and TONS of money. It's not selling horribly, but it'll likely take years before the PS3 gets to a mass market-friendly pricepoint (i.e., sub $400) AND is cheap enough to make that they don't lose their shirts over each one sold. Meanwhile, the low sales are crimping software sales, which is where the real money is.

    I think Ken (and Sony) greatly over-estimated the desire for next-gen DVDs.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dukhat wrote: »
    http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2006/09/15/ibms-bladecenter-qs20-using-ps3s-cell-processor-technology/

    "The BladeCenter QS20 is being adopted early mostly by research-based or academic organizations. This is to be expected, what with the cell being used in a multitude of ways, including quite a few medicinal applications (aside from a fantastic cure for boredom, we hope) like being used in MRI's and X-Rays. Even if the PS3 doesn't do as well as we'd hope, all of us need to admit that the cell processor is going to revolutionize technology. Let's all raise our glasses and toast the cell processor, the bringer of many a good thing now and in the future!*"

    BIased source, but relevant enough. Cell is the most powerful scalable architecture out there at the moment.

    I already mentioned blade servers. Blade servers != mainframes. Blade servers != supercomputers.

    The article you linked is mostly useless fluff. If you follow the link on the page to the source you'll find that the organizations mentioned are going to be using Cell-based solutions for that which is was designed for: number crunching.
    And in case you haven't noticed, ALL COMPUTERS ARE GOING MULTI-CORE. Intel's Roadmap include up to 16 core processor's to be released in the near future.

    Multi-core programming is the future, whether it's "easy" or not.

    You obviously don't understand the difference between multi-core CPUs and the SPEs in Cell.

  • El VientoEl Viento Registered User
    edited April 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    While the PS3 is, technically speaking, a nice machine, Ken's design was a HUGE mistake in the financial sense, in that it's losing Sony tons and tons and TONS of money. It's not selling horribly, but it'll likely take years before the PS3 gets to a mass market-friendly pricepoint (i.e., sub $400) AND is cheap enough to make that they don't lose their shirts over each one sold. Meanwhile, the low sales are crimping software sales, which is where the real money is.

    I think Ken (and Sony) greatly over-estimated the desire for next-gen DVDs.

    The 360 is losing cash hand-over-fist too though.

    http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5374&Itemid=2
    However, the Entertainment and Devices Division, which houses the Xbox and PC gaming business along with the Zune and other products, reported decreased Q3 revenue and continuing losses.

    Microsoft said that revenue was down for the quarter because of “decreased Xbox 360 console sales.” The company shipped 500K consoles during the period, bringing the worldwide total to about 11 million consoles.

    Xbox 360 and PC software sales followed the quarterly decline in hardware, as revenue from games decreased $393 million, or 44 percent.

    Microsoft attributed the improvement in operating losses to the lower Xbox 360 console sales, as the company loses money on every Xbox 360 produced and sold. Revenue from the Mobile and Embedded Devices segment also helped improve EDD’s overall operating loss.

    They are still looking to profit in FY 2008. I don't know how (Halo 3 possibly) but they're saying they'll do it. If they don;t the shit might start hitting the fan with the shareholders.

    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • edited April 2007
    aren't they swapping to smaller, cheaper chips this year? that might be how

  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    last i heard, the 360 was actually now selling for more than it costs them to make

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    last i heard, the 360 was actually now selling for more than it costs them to make

    Around 70 dollars more, but I don't think that includes shipping and manufacturing costs.

  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Titmouse wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    last i heard, the 360 was actually now selling for more than it costs them to make

    Around 70 dollars more, but I don't think that includes shipping and manufacturing costs.

    And I'd still love to see how the year extension on the warranty as well as the cost of tech support and warranty service are equalling out in that equation. I'm not making any claims, I'm just curious how much this "perceived epidemic" is costing them. Shuttling busted consoles around and servicing them under warranty isn't an inexpensive business.

    142.jpg
  • DieboldDiebold __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2007
    Nintendo has had it's own fair share of crazy people. Remember the former nintendo President Hiroshi Yamaushi?

    Back when the Gamecube was getting pwned by the Xbox, Microsoft sent over Steve Ballmer to discuss Microsoft buying Nintendo. Ballmer laid out the situation, told Yamaushi the gamecube was doomed, but Nintendo could thrive again under Microsoft's reign. Yamaushi sat back in his chair and muttered "Tell him to suck my yellow balls..." in japanese out the corner of his mouth like a movie gangster. The translator was flustered, looking back and forth, and hesitated to make the direct translation, censoring it with something else.

    Yamaushi realized this and was not pleased. So he slammed his hand down, leaned forward and shouted in a broken english-japanese accent "SUCK MY BALLS!" to Steve Ballmer across the table.

    Then they kicked that fucker into the well.

    pheezer FD wrote: »
    tardcore wrote: »
    And if at all possible, post pictures.

    Infractioned. Nobody else try to follow in his brave, stupid footsteps.
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    that was an an April fools joke, or some other kind of prank. It didn't actually happen.

    edit: "WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" is hella annoying

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Diebold wrote: »
    Nintendo has had it's own fair share of crazy people. Remember the former nintendo President Hiroshi Yamaushi?

    Back when the Gamecube was getting pwned by the Xbox, Microsoft sent over Steve Ballmer to discuss Microsoft buying Nintendo. Ballmer laid out the situation, told Yamaushi the gamecube was doomed, but Nintendo could thrive again under Microsoft's reign. Yamaushi sat back in his chair and muttered "Tell him to suck my yellow balls..." in japanese out the corner of his mouth like a movie gangster. The translator was flustered, looking back and forth, and hesitated to make the direct translation, censoring it with something else.

    Yamaushi realized this and was not pleased. So he slammed his hand down, leaned forward and shouted in a broken english-japanese accent "SUCK MY BALLS!" to Steve Ballmer across the table.

    Then they kicked that fucker into the well.

    That was proven false.
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hiroshi_Yamauchi
    [People who play RPGs are] "depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."
    :lol:

  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Diebold wrote: »
    Nintendo has had it's own fair share of crazy people. Remember the former nintendo President Hiroshi Yamaushi?

    Back when the Gamecube was getting pwned by the Xbox, Microsoft sent over Steve Ballmer to discuss Microsoft buying Nintendo. Ballmer laid out the situation, told Yamaushi the gamecube was doomed, but Nintendo could thrive again under Microsoft's reign. Yamaushi sat back in his chair and muttered "Tell him to suck my yellow balls..." in japanese out the corner of his mouth like a movie gangster. The translator was flustered, looking back and forth, and hesitated to make the direct translation, censoring it with something else.

    Yamaushi realized this and was not pleased. So he slammed his hand down, leaned forward and shouted in a broken english-japanese accent "SUCK MY BALLS!" to Steve Ballmer across the table.

    Then they kicked that fucker into the well.

    Your definition of "crazy" appears to be synonymous with my definition of "fucking awesome."

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Diebold wrote: »
    Nintendo has had it's own fair share of crazy people. Remember the former nintendo President Hiroshi Yamaushi?

    Back when the Gamecube was getting pwned by the Xbox, Microsoft sent over Steve Ballmer to discuss Microsoft buying Nintendo. Ballmer laid out the situation, told Yamaushi the gamecube was doomed, but Nintendo could thrive again under Microsoft's reign. Yamaushi sat back in his chair and muttered "Tell him to suck my yellow balls..." in japanese out the corner of his mouth like a movie gangster. The translator was flustered, looking back and forth, and hesitated to make the direct translation, censoring it with something else.

    Yamaushi realized this and was not pleased. So he slammed his hand down, leaned forward and shouted in a broken english-japanese accent "SUCK MY BALLS!" to Steve Ballmer across the table.

    Then they kicked that fucker into the well.

    Your definition of "crazy" appears to be synonymous with my definition of "fucking awesome."
    Yeah. If he had actually said that, he would deserve a medal.

  • DieboldDiebold __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2007
    BRUHAHA

    pheezer FD wrote: »
    tardcore wrote: »
    And if at all possible, post pictures.

    Infractioned. Nobody else try to follow in his brave, stupid footsteps.
  • AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yamauchi was senile.. but he was also one of the best businessmen in Japan.

    And to be frank, Iwata -might- just be a better businessman than him, without the senility.

    fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yamauchi was senile.. but he was also one of the best businessmen in Japan.

    Just for my own personal curiosity, for what specific actions is (was) he considered a great businessman?

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yamauchi was senile.. but he was also one of the best businessmen in Japan.

    He also did a few nice things when he resigned.
    Yamauchi also refused to accept his retirement pension, which was reported to be around $9 million to $14 million, feeling that Nintendo could put it to better use.

    Despite his senility, he did have a few good ideas:
    Yamauchi also wanted the machine to be the least expensive available of its kind, in his belief that people "do not play with the game machine itself. They play with the software, and they are forced to purchase a game machine in order to use the software. Therefore the price of the machine should be as cheap as possible."

Sign In or Register to comment.