As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ghost Recon Wildlands] : Way Too Many Buttstocks

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    yea going to pass on this one for now, while I had fun goofing around with my friend it needs a bunch of work and polish, far more than I think they can do in one month. I like the gunplay and the gunsmithing.. and thats about it.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I probably won't be playing this until there is a price drop or something unless a bunch of my friends pick it up.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    If you get a lucky shot you can straight up kill a helicopter pilot with the pistol. It feels pretty epic.

pretty sure mojo sniped a chopper pilot out. it just kind of drifted down... and then exploded.

253J736.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Doesn't seem to work so well with the Apache Deathcopters.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I got about 5 hours in to this over the weekend. I enjoyed it, but I can also see it getting old pretty fast. It is definitely borrowing heavily from the later Far Cry series, but a bit more tactical. That said I still found myself just running and gunning in most situations. The AI is terrible and I think it's going to be the biggest detriment to this game.

The one thing I thought was absolutely terrible was the dialogue and characterizations. Could it possibly be more rote and stereotypical? And what's up with the random made up cuss words? If you were already going to use swear words, why not just use real ones? You were fine with "cock holster" but not "mother fucker"? I understand that this game is really more about having random open world fun with buddies, not the deep and engaging story and characters....but in 2017 I'm also kind of tired of that excuse.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That typical open-world jankyness:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djejHTqy9bs

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    If you get a lucky shot you can straight up kill a helicopter pilot with the pistol. It feels pretty epic.

pretty sure mojo sniped a chopper pilot out. it just kind of drifted down... and then exploded.

For future reference, chopper pilots tend to sit on the left side like US automobiles? Other variables are that I was using a suppressed SMG and suppressed sniper rifle so perhaps that damage drop makes a big difference in penetrating the glass?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I really wanted to love this game, but in its current state, I don't think that will be possible.

Please take into consideration that I am very much on the tacti-sim side of things, so games like ARMA, SWAT and Squad are right up my alley, but I also like the not so-arcadey things such as BF4 and BF1. However, Wildlands really just went into the very shallow territory, but it doesn't seem to be intentional, but more of a blunder?

I say this because when they made the game be in an huge open world, with swathes of wild territory, this makes me think they want to cater to the sim crowd, since just getting to the AO is one big aspect of these types of games, but then at the same time there's a chopper in every corner. But then the choppers have the most ridiculously simple flight control ever conceived that gives you absolutely no control over it. What's the point of the chopper having guns if it's impossible to aim them anywhere?

Then you have the gunsmith and that would be great for the sim crowd, but then the bullets behave like airsoft pellets and drop to the ground in less than 200m. The missions are incredibly uninspired and the AI is objectively bad. Finally, you get infinite revives from your teammates. It just seems they wanted to make a tacti-cool sim-esque game, but then suddenly decided to make it extremely casual friendly, and missed their mark on both accounts.

The general consensus of this game is appalling, people are calling for it to actually be delayed, that's just crazy. I'm really hoping they address a lot of these issues, they have a great concept there, but more often than not it just feels bland.

Yeah, the vehicle feel is awful and the chopper really disappointed me in terms of how it controlled. I think the game has a solid foundation and I like a lot of the systems in place, but I didn't really enjoy it very much and I will probably wait a while before picking it up.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    For the helicopter controls, (IMO) they really should have just copied GTA 5's setup. Not being able to control the tail rotor makes quick, precise landings a lot more tricky.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    And what's up with the random made up cuss words? If you were already going to use swear words, why not just use real ones? You were fine with "cock holster" but not "mother fucker"?

I'm going to guess that someone on the writing team was a Better Off Ted fan.

Warning: Tons of NSFW language ahead

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    As a soldier irl I have said seemingly strange curses.

"Poopdick" is one of my favorite to say when stuff goes wrong.

I do want to love this game and I'm going to try but man that aI is lacking so bad..

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    hey, did anyone try it on ghost difficulty with the HUD off? I'm watching Devildog Gamer play the beta with those settings and it seems more inline with the original ghost recons. Thoughts?

here's the specific vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym3nuPQtW9o

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    As far as we could tell Ghost difficulty just upped HP and damage of enemies. Very basic kind of difficulty increase.

Now playing the game with the HUD off looks like my kind of scene.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I think each person can update their own difficulty settings too? I know I was able to change my difficulty settings in someone else's game, it would be a simple thing to just lower my damage and increase the damage I take, making it able to play the game on my own settings versus my friend's.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    So to sum up the way reaction is going.... wait for a sale?

Like it can be kind of tacticool fun, but no way in hell is this worth $60 at least not from what they just showed us.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    So to sum up the way reaction is going.... wait for a sale?

Like it can be kind of tacticool fun, but no way in hell is this worth $60 at least not from what they just showed us.

I'll personally be giving it a few weeks to see how things shake out.

If things look good I'm down to pay full price.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    I'll be down for that plan, axen.

I'll have for honor, the new south park rpg, and me4 to play in the mean time.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Yeah, it's worth saying I didn't hate my time with Wildlands at all, but with so many other games coming out I probably will wait a while before diving into it.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Okay thread you have successfully unsold me on this game for now

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Watching gameplay videos of this, it basically looks like the Mercenaries/Just Cause series crossed with Far Cry.
    Only replacing explosions with stealthy takedowns.

Count me in.

edited February 2017
    There is a fun game in there, but yes, it is a ubisoft collectathon and there are better things coming out in march. I'm sure this will be a grab towards summer dry spell of games.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I was not kind in my answers to their closed beta survey.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I really loved the beta and had a huge blast. I cannot wait for the release. Already have it pre-ordered and ready to gooo. Filled in the survey, told them their ai and car handling sucked, and they should focus on both of those, but im good with the rest.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »

Oh it happened. he called his apache friends on me. Worth it.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I really loved the beta and had a huge blast. I cannot wait for the release. Already have it pre-ordered and ready to gooo. Filled in the survey, told them their ai and car handling sucked, and they should focus on both of those, but im good with the rest.

Yeah... I kinda laid into them pretty hard. They said to be honest though. Coddling them isn't going to help anyone.

Being put on the Ubisoft beta blacklist in 3.. 2...1...

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    There is a kernel of fun here, but no way am I paying full price for what I saw in the beta. I'm definitely in wait and see, possibly headed toward wait for a sale, mode on this one.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I think they really need to turn up the AI coding team. Just make stealth harder because that's seemed to be where the issue was.

Dudes wouldn't see their dead buddies... walk around them and such.

Hard to tell if the bad guys were taking cover but it appeared they were.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Think this is a wait for a sale game for me.

I like it fine but the times I can play games are pretty random which means any regular co-op play is out. And this feels like the kind of game that needs to be played that way to be fully enjoyable.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Decoy wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »

Yeah... I kinda laid into them pretty hard. They said to be honest though. Coddling them isn't going to help anyone.

Being put on the Ubisoft beta blacklist in 3.. 2...1...

Actually, I've noticed ubisoft doesn't strong arm people for honest reviews and critiques. I mean yes, they could stand to make a better game, or toss their overlay off a cliff, but as far as blackballing and trying to shutdown shitty reviews, I haven't seen it yet.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    I should say, that for those youtubers that get a review copy, and they say bad things about the game, ubisoft will still send them a review copy for the next game they make.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    edited February 2017
    I've actually really been impressed with Ubisoft's community relations/etc over the past couple of years. They definitely have had games come out with problems but I think they've been genuine in efforts to fix things and improve on games. The Division and Rainbow Six both saw tremendous support after release and it has continued to the present. Granted for the Divison a lot of it was paid DLC, but they still have really kind of kept their games alive and supported them really well. I've been really happy with Ubi lately.

FuriousJodo on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I think most game makers would appreciate constructive criticism. Glad to see Ubi isn't childish about it.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    I was thinking about this game.

I might just have to get it.

I can't think of another game that will let me have fun with free-form black ops actions.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Sure hope they do something about those awful vehicle controls before release.

Who thought that was a good idea?

dammit... i'm filth. I'm probably gonna day 1 this game too. I want to play it with pc bros, flip on ghost and turn off the HUD and do it.
    I'm getting the itch for mercenaries and this is a ubisoft title that actually has a working coop game for 3+ people.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    dammit... i'm filth. I'm probably gonna day 1 this game too. I want to play it with pc bros, flip on ghost and turn off the HUD and do it.
    I'm getting the itch for mercenaries and this is a ubisoft title that actually has a working coop game for 3+ people.

Yeah I am in a quandary too.

On the one hand I like the premise and the basic style on the other hand it is Ubisoft.

I am starting to assume things about game companies based on their record.

Bioware will make a pretty good game with an interesting setting and interesting abilities, but you will spend half your time in the game figuring out how to bang your companion.
    Obsidian will make a game about hard ethical choices in an interesting setting with consequences for your choices, but it will be buggy as all fuck.
    Naughty Dog will make a great game with good mechanics and a good setting. The game will do its level best to make you cry.
    And Ubisoft will come up with a good premise, good setting and a decent idea for a plot/goal to get you playing. Then they will fuck everything up when it comes to execution.

Those who complain about car physics, are you playing with keyboard? Because with a controller the cars feel good.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Playing with a controller and the vehicle physics feel wonky, cars handle weird with corners, also sudden swerves even on asphalt while driving straight and choppers just straight up handles worse than the ones in Far Cry or GTA, also fine tuning their position while landing and aiming the chopper guns in particular is impossible.

Ghost Recons vehicle controls would be less noticeable if it wasnt just straight up worse than Far Cry 4 and Grand Theft Auto 5 that I've played recently.

Talked to my buddy earlier who I havent talked to about this game and his complaint was also more or less "Vehicle controls"

He is still getting it though and I have been hankering for a co-op game where we can play 4 man in, I just hope Ubisoft improves on the current vehicle controls before release.

Sirialis on
    edited February 2017
    Oh chopper controls are absolute shit, but for vehicles they seem fine to me. GTAV style would be bliss though.

But for choppers, I wish they would let us choose a BF4 style control.

Satsumomo on