As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unfortunately, you usually need a [job] to survive

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fuck yes! Ice day tomorrow! No school! I love working at a high school! Wooooooo.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Double good news, apparently merit raises ("merit" raises) were approved early and I should get a raise at my next paycheck, retroactive to the beginning of Jan!

No idea how much it'll be (was 3.75% last year), but still, mo money mo milski

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Oh fuck tomorrow is the first day of the new semester.

SHIT

FUCK

also i just applied for like ten scholarships so hopefully some of those come through

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Someone in the office is a.) obsconding with my nice gel pens to some unknown location, and b.) breaking the clips off all of the other pens that write at least fairly well.

They are is history's greatest monster, and I will not rest until they are brought to justice!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Someone in the office is a.) obsconding with my nice gel pens to some unknown location, and b.) breaking the clips off all of the other pens that write at least fairly well.

They are is history's greatest monster, and I will not rest until they are brought to justice!

This is why I lock all my stationery supplies in my overhead cabinet. Only I have the key, so people wandering by don't take a shining to my nice little Sharpie pen.

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Madican wrote: »

This is why I lock all my stationery supplies in my overhead cabinet. Only I have the key, so people wandering by don't take a shining to my nice little Sharpie pen.

Sadly we don't have anywhere to really lock up personal items. We share a work space and depending on who's here in the morning/ afternoon, or depending on the specific task any one of three people could be at one of two stations. I also would put the pen thievery past the doctor himself, though if confronted he will give them back, however grudgingly and accompanied by no small amount of venomous grumbling.

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    In that case I'd just keep the pens on your person. I've got a breast pocket that I keep my ID, alarm, and the Sharpie pen in when traveling about, but regular pants pockets work too.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Hey, the union negotiated a base 1.33% salary increase for 1 Jan and another 1.5% increase for 1 July this year, on top of whatever our performance reviews will be (probably 1% for me this year). That's probably the best calendar year raise I've every received without changing jobs or getting promoted.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Was listening to a podcast the other day and a dude was complaining/"observing" that Millennials "tend to hop from job to job and never stay at the same company very long anymore like people used to."

Yeah, okay grandpa. Biting observation. Maybe we wouldn't feel the need to do that if we weren't perpetually promised raises/promotions/titles/responsibilities/resources that never materialize, over and over again. Maybe we're tired of being passed over for promotions for outside hires again and again and again. Maybe we wouldn't need to hop jobs if it wasn't the only fucking way to earn more or advance your career.

Loyalty is a two way street. No, you get off MY lawn.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Was listening to a podcast the other day and a dude was complaining/"observing" that Millennials "tend to hop from job to job and never stay at the same company very long anymore like people used to."

Yeah, okay grandpa. Biting observation. Maybe we wouldn't feel the need to do that if we weren't perpetually promised raises/promotions/titles/responsibilities/resources that never materialize, over and over again. Maybe we're tired of being passed over for promotions for outside hires again and again and again. Maybe we wouldn't need to hop jobs if it wasn't the only fucking way to earn more or advance your career.

I, for one, would hate to find a meaningful, well-paying, stable job at a company that respected my contributions, helped me grow and advance, and offered me long-term security. Just hate it, cuz I'm a Millennial.

hippofant on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    On the other hand, I'm a Millennial and I have a job right now that I theoretically could stay at for a good while (It's for a city university, so it's technically city gov't and they basically only fire you if you steal something or touch someone inappropriately) but I basically have no real drive, love, or passion for it. When people ask me how my job is, I tell them that it's not my dream job, but it's A job, and also in my dreams I have money for food so it's fine for now/better than the literal nothing I was doing beforehand. The commute is fairly inconvenient, and I can only attempt to transfer to a closer university after a year of service. Speaking of nebulous future time periods, this job has a pension plan, but I don't know what I'll be doing in 30 days let alone 30 years when I retire. Security has never been more terrifying to me, so I feel like a heel for even hinting at complaining about my life right now. I certainly don't think I could survive at my current wage level beyond the next few years, and I get paid what an entry level person gets paid, which is not a terribly high amount, especially for the area I am living in (with my parents, natch).

I'm not sure what I'd do if a job that was less stable but more interesting came along. i basically just started the job in mid December, and it's a crazy time for us because I work at a school and we're understaffed and underbudgeted, so maybe I need to give it more time to settle down, but like....when should I start looking for another job again, even cursorily?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

It's also like

nothing new?

this has been a thing since like the 70s

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Be the best millennial you can be, never leave college

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    http://www.theonion.com/video/report-95-of-grandfathers-got-job-by-walking-right-35620

Wow, funny thing, that was just featured by the Onion the other day.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's like the coldest take imaginable

• Options
    http://www.theonion.com/video/report-95-of-grandfathers-got-job-by-walking-right-35620

Wow, funny thing, that was just featured by the Onion the other day.

if there's one constant in the universe it's old people complaining about younger generations

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Every job I've ever had, I've been the only one doing my job. Literally zero opportunity for moving up.

I've been trying to get a job at a local university because it would be the opposite of that. I'd LOVE a stable job I could stay at and move up in for a decade or so.

• Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    hippofant wrote: »

I, for one, would hate to find a meaningful, well-paying, stable job at a company that respected my contributions, helped me grow and advance, and offered me long-term security. Just hate it, cuz I'm a Millennial.

I love how just general job market issues are millennial problems. Everyone who isn't slotted into a cushy gig has to do the exact same thing, it's not like millennials do this and people over 30 don't.

Randy Butternubbs on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Yeah I'm in this position now.

I can stay and get maybe CoL increases for the rest of my life probably, and get nothing else out of it meaningful except reasonable salary. Or I can take a risk and gain more skills but eventually end up in a corporate red tape machine that offers better benefits.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I've been at my job for ten years! They gave me a plaque!

• Options
    I didn't get anything :(

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    One of our training directors actually addressed this: millennials want the same thing as every other generation - decent pay/benefits, respect and challenges. They just ask more because they've already learned that you need to ask for things to get them. You reap what you sow job market.
    I've been in my job 12....

• Options
    It's not even that we ask for more. We just want what our parents had, and we "want more" because our parents told us having college degrees would get us more. My dad has a pension and he wasn't even union, there isn't many of those left, they mostly disappeared in the 80s.

We just seem more needy because we can actually articulate and understand the world around us thanks to the internet. We know exactly what's going on, versus what the newspapers and gossip told us was going on.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Thank you for wading through a river of digital sewage
    Sorry about the heroin addiction
    We hope your fourth try at rehab will be the last
    One way or another

That might be a little dark, but I'm leaving it as is.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I would have gotten a 10 year plaque this month except my dumb company sold my department to another dumb company, so I've only technically been here 7 months. Sigh.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I also hit 10 years about a week ago.

• Options
    they gave one lady a pen and an extra week of vacation at her 10 year like 4 years ago (the only employee to reach 10 years)

then they recognized how inconvenient that was and did away with the vacation

also the pen

because I mean

$100 is a lot of money right

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I got an extra week of vacation (making 3 weeks, plus a week of PHO) at 5 years of service. Because Unions, motherfuckers. I don't get up to 4 weeks until 2022, assuming I'm still working here then.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I thought I wasn't going to get a plaque because Robert left and he was the Plaque Rememberer but it turns out as long as you and the other guy who's getting plaque constantly passive aggressively say "I guess there's no plaques this year huh?" or "gettin' on for plaque season" or "visited my dentist today, he said I have no plaque. Guess I should get used to that..." all the time they remember to make you a plaque.

• Options
    I think I get like 15 vacation days a year to start, which is essentially 3 weeks. Goes up over time.

In other "stop complaining'' news, I actually think our collective bargaining agreement is getting us a 3K/year pay raise starting at the end of January/start of February, which is objectively good, but it's still less than the average entry level salary in this area. Also I think there will be some retroactive pay going on because everyone in my office is jazzed but I won't get anything (and understandably so) because I just started.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I thought I wasn't going to get a plaque because Robert left and he was the Plaque Rememberer but it turns out as long as you and the other guy who's getting plaque constantly passive aggressively say "I guess there's no plaques this year huh?" or "gettin' on for plaque season" or "visited my dentist today, he said I have no plaque. Guess I should get used to that..." all the time they remember to make you a plaque.

You gave someone PTSD and they get irrationally angry whenever someone mentions plaque randomly around them now.

• Options

gonna need to remember this one

• Options
    A part of me just wants to cling to this shitty company until retirement, making them pay for all my education as far as I want to take it through the power of the union contract. But I'm really concerned that when the current contract expires in 2018 they will not replace it and I won't be able to get educated anyway. sigh.

• Options
    One of my old bosses at my retail gig before this one also used to work for a university and said it was great except for the part where she wasn't getting paid enough and the budget dropped out from under her division and then no one was being paid anything anymore. So of course she became a retail manager type person who I guess gets more money and company benefits now.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    There isn't a ton of overtime available at my work and only three of us in the department are hourly instead of salary so we're the only ones who get to use it on the rare occasions it pops up.

I always get dragged into helping with these special events but I've found out that my director is pissy about me claiming the extra hours. I'm literally doing the thing that no one else wants to do for you. But I'm the one you're mad at?

God I hope this new job happens soon.

• Options
    My current boss is all about us taking overtime if we have to stay late. Like maybe a little TOO into it. We're only supposed to be working 35 hours a week, but we'll be doing late Wednesdays and Thursdays for the entire semester. That's a good chunk of overtime, and even though we're getting paid I also like being home for dinner with my family.

He even told me to make sure they pay me for overtime because they like to conveniently not pay unless we fill out paperwork even though we clock in and out and they know when we were there on what days/what we should be getting paid.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got a tiny lapel pin for my ten years at the public library.

Wasn't even shaped like a book.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I got a tiny lapel pin for my ten years at the public library.

Wasn't even shaped like a book.

:bro:

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I can't remember if I told this story before, but it was the most bogus show of appreciation I ever received from a job: When I was in the Marine Corps, my unit kept sending me to temporary units to do special jobs. I learned satellite communications, I worked at the help desk for the base, I worked for some Colonel in Iraq, all these places away from my unit so I was always away from my actual platoon. Around the time I was about to leave active duty, I'd been back at my unit for about two months. At this time, there was all this work going on, lots of long hours, prepping for some inspection or another. My friends that I'd been close with for years kept mentioning my going-away and how they were trying to get the senior folks to do some kind of shindig. Lo and behold, the best those motherfuckers would do for me was gather at the McDonald's on base at 6AM before making everyone go to work. My friends read my plaque in front of everyone there and to this day I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed in my life. I just about died on the spot when the motherfucking McDonald's employees started clapping.

That's the last time I ever got a plaque.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Hmm, how to casually bring up the phrase "gold Rolex" in general conversation during your 15th year...

This discussion has been closed.