As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Fuck me, am I old.

Get off my digital lawn, the lot of you.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fuck.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    I'm a wee little baby compared to all of you at just 26.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Stop teasing and just post your oldness.

Turning 37 this year.
    Same, in fall.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Let me tell you, turning 40 is a bitch.

At least I am still the youngest in my tiny company. I can still be 'the kid.'

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    30 sucked pretty bad

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Stop teasing and just post your oldness.

Turning 37 this year.
    Same, in fall.

Well shit, I am too but in less than two months. I had honestly forgotten.

Huh...
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    37 bruh. my bones are dust

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    38 in 3 weeks.

30 didn't bother me. 35 did for some reason.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Full of grumpy ass olds.

I'm finally home.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    30 in one week exactly

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    30 sucked pretty bad
    Aioua wrote: »
    30 in one week exactly

I turned 30 a month ago.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    [Sysadmin]ning smells like mothballs and stale alcohol.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Let me tell you, turning 40 is a bitch.

At least I am still the youngest in my tiny company. I can still be 'the kid.'
    After some retirements/firings/resignations/new hires, I am exactly the median in our department. I've been here 12 years now, and it feels weird to be moving into elder statesman territory.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I love filling out Form 477 for the FCC. Love it.

I also love that they've stopped posting results since 2015, haven't updated any instructions, and stopped working with states, so that I have to submit it again for my state.

Because what I really need to do is spend time fiddle-fucking with QGIS so that people can take this information and do nothing with it, ever.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    30 sucked pretty bad
    30 in one week exactly

I turned 30 a month ago.

The day I turned 30 (over eight years ago) was the first day I wasn't carded for alcohol.

Felt bad, man.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    29 next month, not the baby!

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    been 30 for a few months, shit rules so far tbh

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'll be 30 this year. I only feel self conscious about it because I'm supposed to but I don't and that makes me feel self conscious. I still feel like a kid on adult shoes, it's just mind boggling that these babies are drinking age.

• Options
    I'll be 34 this year. This is the year I've decided to start giving a shit about my physical well-being because it's only gonna go south from here.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I'll be 30 this year. I only feel self conscious about it because I'm supposed to but I don't and that makes me feel self conscious. I still feel like a kid on adult shoes, it's just mind boggling that these babies are drinking age.

Just wait.

Kids that were born the year I was able to buy cigarettes can now purchase them for themselves.

• Options

Just wait.

Kids that were born the year I was able to buy cigarettes can now purchase them for themselves.
    Dude, I know people our age who have grandkids.

• Options

Just wait.

Dude, I know people our age who have grandkids.

Welp.

There goes the wind out of my sails.

• Options
    The new thread title is perfect.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

I know this to be true because of the onion on my belt.

• Options
    "Our 4 year old RAID array threw a single error and now we're freaking out."

Good fucking morning.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    WORK DESKTOPS ANYONE?

xllim3em0wn0.png

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    41 here I've been in this game a while and I've seen some shit. Like "hey we had no space for the servers so we put them in the Men's room"

114wrx3cu8lm.jpg

• Options
    I awesomed that because there was no other reaction remotely close to how that picture makes me feel.

Mainly because I'm not even sure how I feel.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I awesomed that because there was no other reaction remotely close to how that picture makes me feel.

Yup.

It's a bit like seeing dinosaur roadkill.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Oh it gets better the Phone punchdowns, T1 line, and Phone server was in the ladies room.

First thing I did was have a cage built around that and made sure any waterfacing sides had no ventilation. I couldn't move any of it since all the cabling was run to the Men's room and they did not want to spend money to have it re-run.

Once we moved to a new building 4 years later I had it all done right. It was great other than the support column in the middle of the room

8kezsmfdo4ce.jpg
    e4hpmfrfg695.jpg

Artoria on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote: »
    41 here I've been in this game a while and I've seen some shit. Like "hey we had no space for the servers so we put them in the Men's room"

114wrx3cu8lm.jpg

At least it will keep the seat warm?

• Options

114wrx3cu8lm.jpg

I don't know about you, but I hate it when the seat is warm.....

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

114wrx3cu8lm.jpg

I don't know about you, but I hate it when the seat is warm.....

It really depends on WHY the seat is warm

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    my god @dragonsama

you have more switch ports than patch panel ports

it's beautiful

usually it's all like
    96 ports ran to the closet
    here's a 32 port switch, figure it out

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So we ordered a bunch of RAM with what I know to be the correct part number. We receive it in and while the packaging is the correct part number, the stick itself is an exact match for the contents of a still factory sealed package of RAM that I know for a fact is the incorrect part for these fickle HP desktops.

This is a bit annoying. It'd be less annoying if we hadn't figured this out after already placing 2 more orders on the correct part number.
    WORK DESKTOPS ANYONE?

xllim3em0wn0.png

I'd post mine, but since it's a wall of files and icons, it'd probably trigger some PTSD in some of this thread's visitors. It is all backed up to a DFS-synced location, though.

donavannj on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    my god @dragonsama

you have more switch ports than patch panel ports

it's beautiful

usually it's all like
    96 ports ran to the closet
    here's a 32 port switch, figure it out

I planned for growth. After years of getting told "na IT doesn't need a budget" and getting proposals rejected even though the infrastructure was basically being held together with duck tape they finally approved the upgrades. Mind you it took things getting to the point of failure to make it happen

1. budget item - Migrate to VMWARE to give us maximum up-time and load balancing - REJECTED - 2 weeks later old file server crashes and I spend 36 hours straight recovering files to move to the ERP server which is now pulling double duty.
    2. budget item - Replace aging 100 Mbs switches with GB switches to reduce file/program load times and avoid downtime from aging equipment. - REJECTED 2 switches give up the ghost halfway through the year. I have to ask if sister companies have any laying around that I can have.

The next year all of my budget items were approved without question.

Artoria on
  • Options
    It's the friday of a long weekend. I've fixed an unresponsive server this morning. Can I go home now?

• Options
    It's the friday of a long weekend. I've fixed an unresponsive server this morning. Can I go home now?

As many a software vendor I've talked to over the years would say: "Yes. Yes, you can do that."

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

As many a software vendor I've talked to over the years would say: "Yes. Yes, you can do that."

It doesn't mean it's right but they will at least tell you that you can do it.

This discussion has been closed.