As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    hooboy

in my future:

domain switch with simultaneous switch from NAS folder redirection home drives to OneDrive

windows 7 OneDrive for extra derp

Expect half the company to be crippled after the first month from OneDrive failures.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    Gah! I feel terrible for you. In all honestly, if I were to be an in-house IT guy and that rolled into my lap, I'd quit. I supported that for one client for too long. And Windows 7 which just completely break it.

Leave!

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Does anyone else here have the absolute pleasure of dealing with DNN?

I want someone to share the misery that goddamned thing has wrought.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Fun cloud storage story.

"So why are you all standing around obviously not doing anything?" - CIO that implemented cloud storage as a pet project
    "Well, the internet is down" - US
    "So, that doesn't mean you can't work" - Him
    "Well, everything's stored in <whichever service we had originally>" - US
    "So, what's the got to do with anything?" - Him
    "The internet is down and all our files are stored offsite. We can't access anything. All our training materials are offsite, all the requirements documents are offsite, the only thing that lives here now is production code on the servers that are supporting production." - US
    "Well, work on getting the internet back up then!" - Him
    "It's on our ISP's end. They're the one having the outage. We've called them, they're working on it." - US
    At this point he just gives up and walks away.

I hate how everyone things the cloud is magic. It's not magic, it's just a datastore that lives elsewhere. I use it for backing up personal files I don't want to lose in case of house fire. Working out of it has not been the boon we were promised it would be however. Mostly been a nightmare.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Fun cloud storage story.

"So why are you all standing around obviously not doing anything?" - CIO that implemented cloud storage as a pet project
    "The internet is down and all our files are stored offsite. We can't access anything. All our training materials are offsite, all the requirements documents are offsite, the only thing that lives here now is production code on the servers that are supporting production." - US
    "It's on our ISP's end. They're the one having the outage. We've called them, they're working on it." - US

I hate how everyone things the cloud is magic. It's not magic, it's just a datastore that lives elsewhere. I use it for backing up personal files I don't want to lose in case of house fire. Working out of it has not been the boon we were promised it would be however. Mostly been a nightmare.

The benefits of cloud storage come with a huge downside.

We've had companies try to sell us on software that uses "the cloud" before. When asked "okay so our internet goes down, which happens infrequently, but frequent enough that we need a plan in place for when it happens."

They look like a fucking deer in headlights. Internet goes down people, it's even more finicky than the power going out.

Self hosted is our solution to most of it, the cloud is just a fancy word for "self hosted, but not on site" anyways.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Fun cloud storage story.

We've had companies try to sell us on software that uses "the cloud" before. When asked "okay so our internet goes down, which happens infrequently, but frequent enough that we need a plan in place for when it happens."

They look like a fucking deer in headlights. Internet goes down people, it's even more finicky than the power going out.

Self hosted is our solution to most of it, the cloud is just a fancy word for "self hosted, but not on site" anyways.
    Every time someone brings up "the cloud" I tell them three things: First, we work in the power industry, so there are very good reasons to not have that data under someone else's control. Second, I use VMware's marketing speak and tell them we already have a "private cloud" in place for most of our data. Third, the internet does still go down sometimes.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I think cloud has a place, but in specific circumstances. I wouldn't trust it with the only copy of mission/business critical stuff.

That being said, where do you guys work that you have internet outages all that much? In the last 5 years I've seen one unplanned internet outage at a "main office."

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I think cloud has a place, but in specific circumstances. I wouldn't trust it with the only copy of mission/business critical stuff.

That being said, where do you guys work that you have internet outages all that much? In the last 5 years I've seen one unplanned internet outage at a "main office."

In a place that time warner cable services.

Anywhere that isn't a major metro area is going to have at least a monthly internet hiccup. Especially if it's DSL or Coax based.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Anyone ever seen this before? I have a windows server that's reporting 5 and a half hours of uptime, meaning that it in theory rebooted overnight.... except that I can't find any record of that in any log file I'm looking at. Usually there's at least one entry in event viewer saying the reboot was unexpected. There isn't even a gap in the event viewer long enough to explain a reboot at that time. I'm kind of at a loss.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Maybe the issue lies with the system reporting the uptime and not event viewer.

SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Maybe the issue lies with the system reporting the uptime and not event viewer.

Yea, I'm not sure. See the server has been having intermittent reboot issues when I add it to an exchange cluster, so I've been working on it/testing fixes. I re-added it to the cluster yesterday to test the most recent thing I've tried, so it's actually kind of something I'm looking at specifically and this isn't helping me. =/

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

In a place that time warner cable services.

Anywhere that isn't a major metro area is going to have at least a monthly internet hiccup. Especially if it's DSL or Coax based.
    Yeah, our primary was 15Mb Verizon for a while, and when they sold out our rural area to Frontier, it went down somewhat often. Thankfully, the incredibly stable company who provided our secondary connection (a T1, which used to be our primary for a decade) eventually was able to get us 100Mb fiber. And now our backup is a Time Warner 100Mb fiber, which is actually really stable for us. Frontier can go to hell.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I won't even sell business Internet connections anymore unless the prospective customer is willing to have a serious and frank discussion with me about their plans in the event of an outage. During the sales call. I mean, it's mostly because I sell wireless service that is often coming off of a farmer's grain elevator, and farmers+electricity tends to be unreliable as fuck, but a small company like mine cannot be expected to fire-pole for customer outages, and that's what businesses expect. If you're buying our wireless service, that's great, but do you run credit cards? Do you have a plan when your credit cards can't be processed? Is the answer, "Bitch at the ISP"? Then you should either look somewhere else, or get a secondary connection. I don't care if I'm the primary or not, but my service is cheap as hell ($34.95/month), and you can probably afford another connection from someone else at the same time.

For a while, when I had the spare time, I was selling mini-towers running pfSense to business customers, so that I could facilitate two ISP setups. It was great. The conversations with the customers were great (I cannot think of another context in which this was true). They had no idea why nobody else was having this conversation with them. Internet is super fucking important for running a business, and yet people expect to be able to pay less for their Internet connection than they do for any other costs. It's really wild. But when you talk to them about it, it's just like, well of fucking course you should have two connections. Jesus, why hasn't anyone ever brought this up??

It really makes my day.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I do like that about the financial services industry. We always have redundant connectivity plans in every build out we do. For some customers they'll want multisite setups and triple redundancy.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    uean wrote: »
    Gah! I feel terrible for you. In all honestly, if I were to be an in-house IT guy and that rolled into my lap, I'd quit. I supported that for one client for too long. And Windows 7 which just completely break it.

Leave!

fortunately,

this is part of us being rolled into the IT of our new corporate overlord

where everyone is on OneDrive and win7 already, and its stability is Somebody Else's Problem

our main concern is getting people's home drive data migrated effectively

and for me, personally, it's boon since I support our remote sales/service teams who don't ever use their home drives since they're never on the VPN so they don't sync right. Syncing over any internet connection will be a godsend and we'll no longer have huge amounts of valuable data living only on field laptop HDDs!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    "Help help our old ass Windows Server 2008 Standard isn't working right!"

*after 1 hour of checks and a hard reboot* I think we need to do a repair on your install. I just need you to get the disc and put it in...

"The disc?? For what??"

For your Windows Server.

"Well we don't know where that is!!"

you know it's kind of weird because my first thought when you said "old windows server 2008" was "wait Windows Server 2008 isn't *that* old."

Then I realize that it's 2017.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    We've been having "fun" decommissioning a 2003 server this week.
    Step one was raising the domain functional level to 2003.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    It's okay, I managed to get their server back in working shape.

I want to find the person who put the power plan on fucking POWER SAVER and just rip them apart.

Also, 17,000 bad registry entries according to CC Cleaner.

I want to find the person who put the power plan on fucking POWER SAVER and just rip them apart.

Well yeah, gotta uninstall and reinstall the coupons if you want to get new ones!

Thawmus wrote: »

Well yeah, gotta uninstall and reinstall the coupons if you want to get new ones!

Nothin worse than expired coups.

Gots ta get ma fresh coups.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Fun cloud storage story.

When we sell cloud solutions to customers we also include a recommended backup plan such as hotspots or a second ISP but none of them ever take us up on it and then when their internet goes down its a costly disaster

i should feel bad

override367 on
    FUCK YES

fixed a long-standing issue with a user who couldn't connect to the VPN

we knew the issue was with her machine certificates being expired but had no idea why they wouldn't update

I went full voodoo debugging copying over our domain root certs and leaving/joining the domain (which somehow doesn't update your machine certs for reasons that are... unclear) but ultimately got it to work by launching the MMC with my domain admin creds which finally got the Request New Certificate thing to work

I'm dancing over here

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Our clients' cloud solutions tend to be:
    -Office 365, which does go down
    -Our Dropbox equivalent, which includes a local cached copy
    -Backup replication, which can go down as long as it comes back up consistently enough not to fall behind
    or
    -Something we don't touch, like Quickbooks or some shit idk

It's a pretty good system. Especially since management started mandating standards for clients in terms of bandwidth before we'll service them.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    No, I can't have a laptop, phone, and printer magically appear when a new employee starts today that I had no idea about.

You have to go to Brakebills for that.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    "I have a great idea that won't cause problems. Let's make a new version of this software but not change the version number so everything makes sense." - Developers today

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    And once again, I realized my error was in thinking people read emails from IT which they never do.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    And once again, I realized my error was in thinking people read emails from IT which they never do.

Me: "Please call me when you have time to work on this issue"

RE: "I am free now"

my favorites are:

me "ok, I can look at that later today, can you please create a ticket so I don't forget about it?"

them: "That's what I'm doing now"

me "no, you're standing in my office. Can you please create a ticket when you're back at your desk that way it ends up on my to-do list for this afternoon and I'll have all of the details at my fingertips"

them "but I'm telling you now"

me "I'm literally going into a 2 and a half hour meeting right now, and then I have to capture those notes, so by the time I get to this at about 2:30 or so I'll need a ticket"

them "so you're not going to fix it today"

me "no, I'm going to look at it this afternoon, after my two and a half hour long meeting. But I might not remember every detail if I don't have a ticket to reference"

them "Fine" *storms out*

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I get so tired of people just walking into my office and telling me stuff. I want you to email me so I remember. I have the system for a reason.

It's not bad enough I do 7 jobs around here but you also can't expect me to remember it all too.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Entaru wrote: »
    I get so tired of people just walking into my office and telling me stuff. I want you to email me so I remember. I have the system for a reason.

It's not bad enough I do 7 jobs around here but you also can't expect me to remember it all too.

yea, I mean honestly I don't mind people coming to my office to ask a question, and if it's something I can answer quickly, fine. I truly don't mind. But if I'm telling you that i'm busy and asking for an email/ticket so I can look at it later, just do it please.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

That's one of the unsung advantages of working for an MSP. I don't have people walking by my office all day throwing bullshit at me.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    That_Guy wrote: »

That's one of the unsung advantages of working for an MSP. I don't have people walking by my office all day throwing bullshit at me.

I am considering this as a career move.

Currently doing some research on it.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

I work for an MSP and do not enjoy this advantage.

edited February 2017
    While I completely understand the above frustrations, I really do not miss ticket systems, and while I am irritated at the interruption, I fucking LOVE that people come to my office to talk to me like a human being. It also lets me reinforce, personally, that you don't come to my dark corner of the universe without a handful of information, and helps me reassure users that I am actually invested in helping them make us lots o' money.

I have had job interviews for places that worship their ticket systems, and have done a hard pass, and have interviewed for places with 400 employees with no ticket system, and it doubled my interest in the job.

It doesn't help that my general view of ticket systems is that they're an IT solution for a staffing problem (MSP's are an exception, of course).

EDIT: Or that at my old job, my annual review was done by someone who had spoken 3 words to me since I had been hired, and was solely using my open/closed ticket ratio to discuss my performance.

Thawmus on
    While I completely understand the above frustrations, I really do not miss ticket systems, and while I am irritated at the interruption, I fucking LOVE that people come to my office to talk to me like a human being. It also lets me reinforce, personally, that you don't come to my dark corner of the universe without a handful of information, and helps me reassure users that I am actually invested in helping them make us lots o' money.

I have had job interviews for places that worship their ticket systems, and have done a hard pass, and have interviewed for places with 400 employees with no ticket system, and it doubled my interest in the job.

It doesn't help that my general view of ticket systems is that they're an IT solution for a staffing problem (MSP's are an exception, of course).

400 users and no ticketing system is literally madness

so much work is going to get lost

so, so much

EDIT: Or that at my old job, my annual review was done by someone who had spoken 3 words to me since I had been hired, and was solely using my open/closed ticket ratio to discuss my performance.
    We're somewhere in between these extremes. I mostly want people to email me or put a ticket in because I'm incredibly forgetful, on top of being busy. I think one thing that corporations do poorly is allow people to build strong interpersonal relationships. But at the same time, there needs to be some sort of bookkeeping, especially when it comes to things like folder security.

edited February 2017

so, so much

I thought so too, but that situation was very unique. It was a job opening at the USDA, and I'd have been covering a 13-square mile area (I think, I might be fudging the number), but the majority of the AD and other duties would have been handled elsewhere. I'd mostly have been the guy that scientists came to for ordering a new computer, and to troubleshoot wireless. (They had a PtP wireless system running from their grain elevators exactly like the wireless network I currently administrate).

I really regret not getting the job. Would have been a 100% pay raise.

Thawmus on

so, so much

I thought so too, but that situation was very unique. It was a job opening at the USDA, and I'd have been covering a 13-square mile area (I think, I might be fudging the number), but the majority of the AD and other duties would have been handled elsewhere. I'd mostly have been the guy that scientists came to for ordering a new computer, and to troubleshoot wireless. (They had a PtP wireless system running from their grain elevators exactly like the wireless network I currently administrate).

I really regret not getting the job. Would have been a 100% pay raise.

oh well that's totally different

you can't go without ticketing if it's even 100 people using Outlook and Excel and who need new monitors and to be added to DLs and shit like that

granted there's a lot of bad ticketing and honestly I think most efforts to use your ticketing system to gather metrics outside of like, SLA responsiveness are doomed to failure
    (techs ain't wanna go through 15 dropdowns categorizing every ticket)

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i like using ticketing systems to help requesters figure out exactly what the fuck it is that they want. more than that though if they enter a ticket with "ITS BORKEN!!!!1!" and no other details they can't claim later "well IT is so lazy they never do anything" especially since there is an audit trail that i sent them reminders asking for additional information and/or a time that we can meet to discuss the project, break/fix or whatever.

i mean they will still claim that anyway but i have it in writing they are being a goose

This discussion has been closed.