As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    He sure did.

Is "metro" code for gay now or something?

This has been the case for a while now, I think.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I thought "metro" meant folks who have perfectly manicured nails and like to be super clean and basically look like a Ken doll, without any actual masculinity to go with it.

Still a pretty shitty thing to say about an applicant.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I thought it was code for a straight dude who was into fashion and being well groomed.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    There are times I really hate being in IT.

Because sometimes dealing with other IT people can be worse than the users seeing as the field tends more towards conservative views than the more progressive ones that I personally espouse.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

Because sometimes dealing with other IT people can be worse than the users seeing as the field tends more towards conservative views than the more progressive ones that I personally espouse.

My only issue with IT folks are the narcissists who just want to fight and tell everyone they're the smartest motherfuckers on the planet. I nearly didn't enter the field because I felt it was inundated with them, but I've found them to be a rarity thus far.

• Options

Other IT departments love doing the whole "it's not my fault" thing.

I hate it.

Just do your god damned job don't make me your enemy because there's a good chance in the future if you do that and there's a problem you need help with I won't help you either.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    We should all be working together against the true enemy.

Users

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

I hate it.

Just do your god damned job don't make me your enemy because there's a good chance in the future if you do that and there's a problem you need help with I won't help you either.

Most say, "Bring me absolute proof it's our fault or else I won't do anything."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »

I hate it.

Most say, "Bring me absolute proof it's our fault or else I won't do anything."

I bring "good enough" proof because most of the time the proof I need is on their equipment.

Like when they argued with me for hours that their email system wasn't blocking zip files. But it was. It was just innately trashing everything with a zip, not scrubbing, nothing, people we were sending weren't getting any indication that we had attempted to send a file.

This is something they'd been doing for a decade at this point and suddenly it's my stuff that's broken. Not the new email system and filter they put in place that they admitted to me when I asked if they'd changed anything in their infrastructure before I admitted what it was that was a problem.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So, canned air vs an electric blower...

I don't go through all that much canned air (though I probably should use it more), but our server room gets a lot of foot traffic (not what I would have wanted but unavoidable for me) and consequently dust.

I had originally gone to Harbor Freight and picked up a small air compressor and was going to use it, but it's a piece of shit and really loud, so it wasn't optimal.

Are there any good electric blowers that you guys recommend, preferably less than $texas?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

I don't go through all that much canned air (though I probably should use it more), but our server room gets a lot of foot traffic (not what I would have wanted but unavoidable for me) and consequently dust.

I had originally gone to Harbor Freight and picked up a small air compressor and was going to use it, but it's a piece of shit and really loud, so it wasn't optimal.

Are there any good electric blowers that you guys recommend, preferably less than $texas?

I'm sure you have enough users who are full of hot air where you probably don't even need something. Just get them into the server room :rotate:

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

I hate it.

Ironically, both sides in these interactions are going to be saying the same thing about the other.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

I hate it.

Ironically, both sides in these interactions are going to be saying the same thing about the other.

It'd be fine if they actually attempted to look into it though.

"hey I'm having a problem..."

"sounds like your end"

"but I didn't say anything yet"

"nope your end, not our end, our end is fine."

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If an IT person (either inside my company or outside) wants me to investigate something, I do need some kind of evidence that the problem is in my realm of responsibility before I'm going to take it seriously. Either that, or an admission that they have no idea where the problem is and they just want a second pair of eyes. That's totally fine, too, sometimes I'm in that situation.

It doesn't have to be "absolute proof" but there should be something that shows that the other responsible party at least investigated the problem a little.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    If an IT person (either inside my company or outside) wants me to investigate something, I do need some kind of evidence that the problem is in my realm of responsibility before I'm going to take it seriously. Either that, or an admission that they have no idea where the problem is and they just want a second pair of eyes. That's totally fine, too, sometimes I'm in that situation.

It doesn't have to be "absolute proof" but there should be something that shows that the other responsible party at least investigated the problem a little.

Yeah I usually rattle off what I'm seeing.

"oh TCP on port 7444 is dropping from the program you gave us, and it looks like with putty/a telnet client the connection opens but any sort of data across it immediately closes it"

That's actually something I had to do.

And guess what, it was my problem.

But it wasn't actually, their firewall was dropping packets on TCP because some bonefuck changed some of the rules.

• Options
    But after they said it was my problem I had to go into all my fucking logs and their own software's logs and show what was happening. I'm surprised I didn't have to bust out wireshark and have them remote in.

• Options

I hate it.

It'd be fine if they actually attempted to look into it though.

"hey I'm having a problem..."

"sounds like your end"

"but I didn't say anything yet"

"nope your end, not our end, our end is fine."

Oh yeah totally.

See, I get a lot of the opposite situation.

Other party: "Hey, the network is slow. Can you look into it?"

Me: "What do you mean "slow?" Is there a specific site or application that's slower than normal?"

Them: "Yeah, users in department are complaining that specialized website that only they use is slow."

Me: "Okay, did you look at other websites to see if they're slow too?"

Them: "Hmmm... no..."

Me: "Did you do a traceroute to the problem website to see if there's any packet loss?"

Them: "Oh, no... that's a good idea. I should go do that."

Me: "Yeah, you should."

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Air compressors suck for blowing out computers. The cheap ones never remove the humidity and always end up spraying water everywhere.

What you want is a Datavac
    https://www.amazon.com/Metro-ED500-DataVac-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490290892&sr=8-1&keywords=datavac

I've got one for personal use at home and had them order one for the office. There's no worry of static buildup or moisture. It puts out several orders of magnitude more air than a can. At just 60 bucks it should pay for itself in a year or so.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Air compressors suck for blowing out computers. The cheap ones never remove the humidity and always end up spraying water everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Metro-ED500-DataVac-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490290892&sr=8-1&keywords=datavac

I've got one for personal use at home and had them order one for the office. There's no worry of static buildup or moisture. It puts out several orders of magnitude more air than a can. At just 60 bucks it should pay for itself in a year or so.

Thanks for this recommendation. I've always been suspicious of the hand-held blowers because a lot of them are just awful.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Thanks for this recommendation. I've always been suspicious of the hand-held blowers because a lot of them are just awful.

And most are. This blower is not. It comes with a wide array of attachments but the longer one that just halves the diameter is the best.
    It's got one of those fancy rare earth motors (like what Dyson makes) that really makes it scream.

That_Guy on
  • Options

Yeah I usually rattle off what I'm seeing.

"oh TCP on port 7444 is dropping from the program you gave us, and it looks like with putty/a telnet client the connection opens but any sort of data across it immediately closes it"

That's actually something I had to do.

And guess what, it was my problem.

But it wasn't actually, their firewall was dropping packets on TCP because some bonefuck changed some of the rules.

Yesterday I got a problem very much like this.

We have a site-to-site VPN with a vendor who runs an application that needs to ship records into a database we have on-premises. There's a middleware service, also on-premises, that accepts data structured in a certain format and inserts it into the database. (We have many instances of this middleware on multiple VMs for different types of data.)

Occasionally this particular VPN connection shits itself and neither we nor the vendor never been able to figure out why. Not a big deal, just stopping and restarting the tunnel at the router brings it back up.

Yesterday the vendor application stopped shipping data to the middleware service, and the application tech in charge of it jumped to the conclusion that the VPN was down. (Not an unreasonable conclusion to jump to, given the history.)

He was nice about it though so after verifying that the VPN was in fact up, I did a netstat on the server and hit it with nmap and demonstrated that the VM wasn't listening on the expected TCP port at all.

We combed through the middleware configuration files and found that the TCP port had been changed. We tracked it down to an automatic configuration script that was was meant to reconfigure the middleware application on a different VM entirely, but somebody (not him) put in the wrong VM name.

Totally not within my area of responsibility to deal with the middleware application, but this particular tech is really good about learning new skills and I figured that showing him how to use netstat and nmap was, metaphorically, teaching a man to fish.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    He's part of the same application team I've complained about it D&D before. They're the folks who have to deal with applications that run on top of IIS and talk to a SQL database, but nobody on their team was hired with any IIS or SQL experience, so they're all learning as they go.

Edit: some of them were internal hires - users who showed an interest in IT and had experience using the application that they now have to support. That's really useful, even though the tradeoff is sometimes they're all "how is application stack formed"

Feral on

• Options
    He's part of the same application team I've complained about it D&D before. They're the folks who have to deal with applications that run on top of IIS and talk to a SQL database, but nobody on their team was hired with any IIS or SQL experience, so they're all learning as they go.

Edit: some of them were internal hires - users who showed an interest in IT and had experience using the application that they now have to support. That's really useful, even though the tradeoff is sometimes they're all "how is application stack formed"

it'd be a pleasure to dial into an IT and run into you or someone even halfway like you

• Options
    I had one that found me on stack overflow or linked in, I can't remember where, and he was like "you're a software developer?" and then stopped helping me completely at that point.

• Options

At my old job they were using a big-ass air compressor to blow out computers, and I repeatedly told them that it was spraying moisture on the components, and they didn't listen.

These were the same folks who shook canned air until one of them ended up with a frostbitten palm with a shard of aluminum in it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I find it a little funny they call their product a "DataVac" but then have to clarify in their product description "Please note: This item is a blower, NOT a vaccuum."

Maybe you could avoid that confusion fairly easily...

Also, they misspelled vacuum.

Cog on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Metro is absolutely a veiled way to say that someone wasn't masculine enough and was maybe gay. I hope you reported him to HR and if you didn't I'm disappointed in you. People have been letting little shit fly for too long.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I wouldn't begrudge someone who wouldn't.

That's how you lose your job.

Righteous indignation doesn't put food on the table or a roof over your head, pick your battles, etc

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I wouldn't do it unless I had physical proof of it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I drove an hour to replace a fan in a server and found out that Fujitsu sent the wrong part.

/tableflip

Cog on
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Righteous indignation doesn't put food on the table or a roof over your head, pick your battles, etc

I also work at a really small business, like less than 30 people, and half of those are sales weasels and office logistics types. I work very very close to this person on a daily basis. He's responsible for setting my schedule and deciding which clients and calls I get assigned.

The venn diagram convergence of the number of people who know this information and the number of people who would disagree with the viewpoint strongly enough to go to HR is vanishingly small. There might be 4 of us here who don't vote Trump and spend our entire autumn hunting, and everyone knows who's who.

I don't need to paint the big fat target on my own back.

Plus I have no proof.

Cog on
  • Options
    Also HR is the owner's wife.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Also HR is the owner's wife.

I awesomed this, but please imagine the awesome is italicized

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Pick your battles being about providing basic human dignity and stopping direct ism in the workplace, rather than fighting about what fucking toner brand to use.

But, alright. You gotta do what you gotta do. Try to find a job that isn't full of sub-human shitfucks.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Pick your battles being about providing basic human dignity and stopping direct ism in the workplace, rather than fighting about what fucking toner brand to use.

well

more power to you

I like eating I guess, sorry I'm not the best ally

If I ever could get proof I'd report it to the DoL, but I ain't risking my livelihood to be righteous.

• Options
    I didn't see your edit, sorry.

• Options

But, alright. You gotta do what you gotta do. Try to find a job that isn't full of sub-human shitfucks.

In a right-to-work state, the most likely result of me reporting this without proof is both me and the "metro" gentleman not working here.

I totally agree with you, but the reality of the situation doesn't exactly line up with the idealism, no matter how much I'd like it to.

For whatever reason, IT seems to attract a lot of right wing shitstains. This forum tracks way left so the slice of the industry we represent is pretty skewed. When you work at a company who's whole job and product is IT, the environment skews even harder right. It's not like I can go outside my department and find a culture more representative of society as a whole. My view of this situation is abysmally in the minority here.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

In a right-to-work state, the most likely result of me reporting this without proof is both me and the "metro" gentleman not working here.

I totally agree with you, but the reality of the situation doesn't exactly line up with the idealism, no matter how much I'd like it to.

For whatever reason, IT seems to attract a lot of right wing shitstains. This forum tracks way left so the slice of the industry we represent is pretty skewed. When you work at a company who's whole job and product is IT, the environment skews even harder right. It's not like I can go outside my department and find a culture more representative of society as a whole. My view of this situation is abysmally in the minority here.
    Most of our department is actually leaning to the left (with some of us very left), but our supervisor and an overwhelming number of our employees are heaaaaavy right. Like, some people are borderline dangerously right.

• Options
    I remember the one time I reported a lady sexual harassing me.

I got laughed out of the office by my manager pretty much.

So I stop being social justice warrior at work.

• Options
    I remember the one time I reported a lady sexual harassing me.

I got laughed out of the office by my manager pretty much.

So I stop being social justice warrior at work.

I don't know how many times and at how many companies I've heard the phrase "IT is an HR free department".

Like, no, it's not, but a few of you cockwipes made it into one and now everyone is too afraid of having your bullshit judgements about their manhood or whatever to actually ask you to not act like a literal wild animal at work.

This discussion has been closed.