As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I totally bought that metroid D&D shirt. It's too nerdy to not get.

Link? I like both of those topics...

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Can someone define what "single-segment" means in the context of this Metroid Prime 2 run?

All I can tell is that this run is basically nonsense.

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I think he means without dying or otherwise using safety/backup saves. Which is pretty impressive when having to pull off complicated out-of-bounds tricks while the world is killing you with no energy tanks to buffer it.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    "Single-segment" just means a run is done in one sitting in a linear fashion, which is what all the runs on the marathon is and what people think of when you hear "speedrun". Contrast to segmented runs where parts of the game is broken into sections and you're able to re-run them until you get a good time. Multiple people can contribute to a single run in this way (see OG Quake Done Quick videos where each map was often done by different runners).

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Thanks, I just didn't get why it was being mentioned so frequently when, as you say, all the runs at a GDQ are "single-segment". But I guess Megafrost's explanation clarifies that.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    urahonky wrote: »
    I totally bought that metroid D&D shirt. It's too nerdy to not get.

Link? I like both of those topics...

A_planetspirates.jpg
    It might not be a AGDQ specific shirt?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    ok, so the set up on stream for the Super Metroid Rotation run kinda kills the impact of what they're doing. you'd think they'd be able to orientate the feeds so that the player is right side up and the game is rotated.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    ok, so the set up on stream for the Super Metroid Rotation run kinda kills the impact of what they're doing. you'd think they'd be able to orientate the feeds so that the player is right side up and the game is rotated.

I feel like they fucked this one up. There's no way they meant to rotate the cam and keep the game straight.

• Options

I feel like they fucked this one up. There's no way they meant to rotate the cam and keep the game straight.

i'm assuming that the camera is either mounted or built into the display, so when they rotate the screen the camera turns with it. they still should have worked out a way to reorientate everything for the stream though.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Err, no. That's the joke. The game itself is rotated, so they rotated the camera as well.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the TV isn't rotated. The entire map is rotated 90 degrees, but the physics are still normal. It's a romhack.

We're seeing what the runner sees.

Couch cam is just a goof.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Oh I was assuming that the UI would also be rotated.
    Maz- wrote: »

Err, no. That's the joke. The game itself is rotated, so they rotated the camera as well.

No I get the joke, but it looked like the game was absolutely no different than when played normally.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I guess you understood that they'd be playing the regular game only with the TV on its side.

Well, the Rotated-map hack is a hell lot more interesting and harder to play.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I guess you understood that they'd be playing the regular game only with the TV on its side.

Well, the Rotated-map hack is a hell lot more interesting and harder to play.

Functionally yeah I thought it was basically playing the game rotated on its side. I honestly didn't realize it was a ROM hack that turned the game, but left the text and stuff the correct way.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Doom (2016):
    The BFG is indeed OP...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    This Doom run is pretty interesting.
    Just wish the sound was mixed better. The game and the clapping from the couch are too loud, and the runner's mic has been too low for the whole event so far.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I think PowerUp Audio isn't doing the audio this year? That could be the difference unfortunately.

• Options
    So many deaths in the SMB races. That's really unusual.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    In case anyone missed the special cutscene edit they slipped into Doom 2016 for the AGDQ run

https://clips.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/JoyousBeaverVolcania

• Options
    My God... Secrets of Grindea looks like a great game.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I thought this would have started by now,

but I didn't see the new thread :(

Oh well I usually watch most vids after the fact anyway.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I thought this would have started by now,

but I didn't see the new thread :(

Oh well I usually watch most vids after the fact anyway.
    It started late this year because the first Sunday
    of the year was a holiday

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Castlevania races! I wish all the runs were races, they make watching way more exciting.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Amusingly I prefer solo runs because they can more properly explain the run and what they're doing. Races are too chaotic.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I just noticed that there's a 4 player co-op run of Nightmare on Elm Street on NES sometime late. Definitely going to have to vlog that one.

• Options
    donations are nearing the $500,000 mark. HYPE!!

• Options
    Holy shit... he speedran vanilla WoW? That's nuts!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Wow, that Rondo of Blood ending for Maria.

That is... tonally jarring, to say the least.

• Options

Who? I need some context here.

• Options

One of the guys that ran Castlevania IV — FuriousPaul?

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

One of the guys that ran Castlevania IV — FuriousPaul?

Thanks! Found it:

https://www.furiouspaul.com/pc/wow/

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I think this is the first time I've watched Mighty No. 9 for a decent length of time.

It looks about as good as people have said it is. :(

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    feels kinda mean putting it at the end of the Mega Man block. "Here's some really awesome games. And Mighty No. 9".

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I had to tune out because the commentator just was not doing it for me.

Shoutouts to the runner for that TOP NEP hat tho.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
  • Options

that could be really fun to watch. love the 2P1C stuff.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I actually caught the last third or so of the Final Fantasy speedrun they did. That was pretty interesting, and they even fought Warmech and won. I haven't seen Final Fantasy played in a long time, so it was kind of a treat, especially when they were explaining how the mechanics work (or don't work as the case may be). It was a long time ago that I played Final Fantasy, but I'm pretty sure I was higher than level 19 when I finished the game.

I should check the schedule for any other old school games I might be interested in seeing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I need to catch the video of the FF1 speedrun, because I would love to know how the hell they do that with so much absurd RNG involved.

I mean I guess you can circumvent most of it, but I hate how basically all action order per turn is 100% rng.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I need to catch the video of the FF1 speedrun, because I would love to know how the hell they do that with so much absurd RNG involved.

I mean I guess you can circumvent most of it, but I hate how basically all action order per turn is 100% rng.

It was kind of interesting how many battles they ran from, and how often they reset the game to skip battles with either high risk or low reward. It was certainly nothing like a normal playthrough, though I would imagine most speedruns of games fit into that category. The level of knowledge the guy that planned it all out has about the inner workings of the game is impressive, and their final time was under 4 hours (two guys alternated control of the party, though they had one unified plan).

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.