As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games for Oculus Rift?

PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
Happy new year everyone! I'm getting an Oculus Rift as a referral bonus at work. Does anyone have some game suggestions? Most of my gaming is ARPG or things like Minecraft right now. I'm not hugely into shooters. Also, is it worth picking up the Oculus Touch controllers to pair with it?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Steam has a VR section and the game pages say what decided they are compatible with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    There's a virtual reality thread in Games & Technology that's probably worth checking out.

The Touch controllers are worth it. The Rift is only like half of the experience without them.

If you have the Win10 edition of Minecraft I believe the VR version carries over for free. Aside from Minecraft the only builder sort of game I can think of is Fantastic Contraption on Steam. Oh, and Subnautica. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything as deep as an ARPG if you mean something like Diablo, but if you mean a beat-em-up with stats Chronos is pretty good (EDIT: Vanishing Realms is supposed to be good, too, I need to pick that up myself). Windlands is well-liked as a grappling hook exploration game.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Even if you're not super into shooters I would recommend Superhot as more of a puzzle/strategy game. Minecraft is in VR now!

Also the Touch controllers are worth getting. I'm not sure it's actually worth getting without them.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Even if you're not super into shooters I would recommend Superhot as more of a puzzle/strategy game. Minecraft is in VR now!

Also the Touch controllers are worth getting. I'm not sure it's actually worth getting without them.

How is Minecraft VR? Vanilla graphics settings right? Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm not as active on the forums as I used to be, didn't know about the VR thread!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Native support for VR in Minecraft is only in the Windows 10 version, which is incompatible with servers running the Java version. There is a mod for the Java version to enable VR support, however.

I didn't play it much in VR. It stands as the only game to make me nauseous.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    You absolutely must buy the Touch controllers. There are some good gamepad only games, but the Touch controllers take the experience to another level.

You should check out the VR thread mentioned earlier, but for now (and without Touch controllers) I'd recommend you try all of the short films -- like Henry, Allumette, Lost, The Rose and I, Invasion -- then start with:
    • Chronos
    • Lucky's Tale
    • BlazeRush
    • Elite Dangerous if you have a joystick and preferably also a throttle
    • Eve:Valkyrie if it's still free or at least at a low price (no joystick needed)
    • The Climb

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    I would recommend Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes if you ever want to play a game with other people in the same room with you!

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    You absolutely must buy the Touch controllers. There are some good gamepad only games, but the Touch controllers take the experience to another level.

You should check out the VR thread mentioned earlier, but for now (and without Touch controllers) I'd recommend you try all of the short films -- like Henry, Allumette, Lost, The Rose and I, Invasion -- then start with:
    • Chronos
    • Lucky's Tale
    • BlazeRush
    • Elite Dangerous if you have a joystick and preferably also a throttle
    • Eve:Valkyrie if it's still free or at least at a low price (no joystick needed)
    • The Climb

My friend Eugene founded the company that made Allumette :biggrin: Hoping I can get him to hook me up with a freebie copy haha.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    That's awesome!

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    A freebie copy of what? Allumette is already free on Steam and the Oculus Store.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure all those short VR movies are free, they'd be a tough sell otherwise.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    Space Pirate Trainer on Steam supports the Rift with motion controllers apparently; I have a Vive and this is absolutely the first thing I would recommend as a must-have. It is pretty much endlessly fun to play, and very easy to grasp (and get super immersed in) if you plan on inviting others to check out VR.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    A freebie copy of what? Allumette is already free on Steam and the Oculus Store.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure all those short VR movies are free, they'd be a tough sell otherwise.

Didn't know, i never really followed it deeply until I got this thing.

• Options
    007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    Are VR systems even worth it yet? I feel like they're still in the early adoption/this is cool phase, and not quite in the established-the-games-are-amazing phase. Those are official industry phase lines btw.

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    I'd say they're not really worth it if you have more important things to do with the money. They're really cool, and there's certainly good games for them, but even in terms of expected entertainment value they're probably lower than upgrading your gaming computer or similar.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    I'd say they're not really worth it if you have more important things to do with the money. They're really cool, and there's certainly good games for them, but even in terms of expected entertainment value they're probably lower than upgrading your gaming computer or similar.

As an owner of an HTC vive and a beefy PC + half of my basement opened up for roomscale VR.. i'd wait. We are certainly in the early adoption phase, and while there is some amazing experiences in VR the 2nd gen HMDs and interfaces are going to kick the crap out of the current generation. Wireless, better resolution, retina tracking are all things we are going to see in the next gen.

Game developers are still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't and even the more polished experiences (Arizona Sunshine, Raw Data etc) are pretty threadbare if you compare them with traditional gaming.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041