As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Sweat Out a Bug or Get Comfortable?" or "I'm Dying Here!"

ED!ED! Registered User regular
So I've been sick confirmed for about a week now, and my fever isn't showing any signs of going down. I've gotten the flu/cold before but I usually just losenge it up, and try and stay comfortable; gone in about a week. I'm sure I've felt off for about two weeks now. The odd thing is it's only nausea (that drammamine handles) and headaches and fever (that I'm taking Ibuprofren and Acetaminophen for); and fatigue. . .lots of fatigue. While my fever does go down, and I'm not nearly passing out walking the hall, 6 hours later everything comes back. Should I be cranking the heat up as high as I can to sweat the bug out? I blew a 104 once and that scared me a bit. Push comes to shove I'll go to hospital, but I'd rather save those dollars if I'm actually just doing things wrong.

I hate committee web-MD'ing myself, but just want to get some clarification from people in the know.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    So I've been sick confirmed for about a week now, and my fever isn't showing any signs of going down. I've gotten the flu/cold before but I usually just losenge it up, and try and stay comfortable; gone in about a week. I'm sure I've felt off for about two weeks now. The odd thing is it's only nausea (that drammamine handles) and headaches and fever (that I'm taking Ibuprofren and Acetaminophen for); and fatigue. . .lots of fatigue. While my fever does go down, and I'm not nearly passing out walking the hall, 6 hours later everything comes back. Should I be cranking the heat up as high as I can to sweat the bug out? I blew a 104 once and that scared me a bit. Push comes to shove I'll go to hospital, but I'd rather save those dollars if I'm actually just doing things wrong.

I hate committee web-MD'ing myself, but just want to get some clarification from people in the know.

That's the best advice I can give. But the people who know are your doctors.
    Fevers of 104 are nothing to fuck with, if it's at all possible: doctor.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    If you've had a fever for a week, definitely see a doctor.

• Options
    I should have said I blew the 104 with a space heater, the air on, and an electric comforter and blanket. I was drenched when I had that temp. I haven't been over 101 since. I hate hospitals, so that's why I was just reaching out. Push comes to shove I'll do it.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm right there with you. I hate going to the doctor, I hate going to the hospital. I hate the smell, I hate the cost, I hate the 5 different people asking you the same questions... But I hate feeling like shit even more.

If this was the first night or you'd been feeling symptoms for only a couple days, I'd say sure, sweat it out.
    Hit the drug store, get some nyquil and start putting away orange juice like there was no tomorrow and eat chicken soup by the can. Fire up the humidifier, get a 6 pack of sprite (or whatever lemon lime soda's your go to) take the hottest baths you could without burning yourself and gut it out for a few days. But, it sounds like you've done that.

After a week though, it's time to consider a professional opinion. After feeling like crap for two? It's time to call the doc.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you've been fighting this for a week or so and still aren't feeling any better, you need to go to the doctor or an urgent care.

• Options
    Yea, I'll just suck it up and head to a doctor on Wednesday. I actually JUST started treating it over the weekend because I thought I could sweat it out as usual (was also still working during so probably didn't help), but I just this to be over. The fatigue is the worst of it.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    You keep talking about 'sweating it out' as if it is a real medical thing and not an antiquated bit of nonsense. Like being somewhere nice and warm or steamy might help with congestion symptoms but it's going to do sod all to help with an infection. Hyperthermia is nothing to fuck around with.

Fever = infection. Infection over a week = go get medical attention.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    If you are in the US, go to a walk in clinic. Generally far less wait times than an ER, and far more immediate than a doctors appointment on wednesday.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    You keep talking about 'sweating it out' as if it is a real medical thing and not an antiquated bit of nonsense. Like being somewhere nice and warm or steamy might help with congestion symptoms but it's going to do sod all to help with an infection. Hyperthermia is nothing to fuck around with.

I mentioned it once, and in the context of seeking clarification. Thanks for the latebreaking fingerwagging though.

ED! on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    If you are in the US, go to a walk in clinic. Generally far less wait times than an ER, and far more immediate than a doctors appointment on wednesday.

Urgent care is another way of saying that. Clinics in the US are often assumed to be free/low cost efforts to help out poorer folks. Urgent Cares are "No appointment, sorta urgent, but you don't think you'll die/lose a limb" level.

Anyways, ED! I would really really bite the bullet and see a doctor. The infection isn't clearing up on it's own and the longer it goes on the weaker your body is going to get and the longer your recovery will be.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Already did on Wednesday. I didn't think about updating the thread. Just an ear infection (hence the lack of symptoms I normally associate with flu or cold).

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

I mentioned it once, and in the context of seeking clarification. Thanks for the latebreaking fingerwagging though.

You mentioned it multiple times and seemed to at one point be implying you were deliberately overheating yourself. Not finger wagging so much as medical alarm! But glad it all turned out okay.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Oh well good then. At least those are usually easy to treat with antibiotics. Hope you're well on your way to feeling better.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'd avoid getting any hotter than 104, if possible.

• Options
    Oh well good then. At least those are usually easy to treat with antibiotics. Hope you're well on your way to feeling better.

I was able to go out and lose at trivia last night so things are getting back to normal.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    For viral stuff you just have to sit it out - but if it lasts more than 4 days then it's prob bacterial and needs antibiotics to treat. That's my rule of thumb for going to a clinic for fever.

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
This discussion has been closed.