As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Airport shooting in Ft. Lauderdale FL

A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
edited January 2017 in Social Entropy++
Suspect in custody. Around 9 victims. No numbers confirmed at this time. Stay safe and check in, FL peeps.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/06/us/fort-lauderdale-airport-incident/

Update : Reports changing to multiple dead.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
A Dabble Of Thelonius on

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Please don't be Muslim.
    Please don't be a refugee.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Please don't be Muslim.

The article says the shooter is in custody and was a "lone wolf".
    Pretty sure that's media speak for "White guy", isn't it?

Hooray America, we almost made it a week into 2017 before our first mass shooting.
    Countdown to Republicans "It's too soon to politicize this"?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Please don't be Muslim.

The article says the shooter is in custody and was a "lone wolf".
    Pretty sure that's media speak for "White guy", isn't it?

Hooray America, we almost made it a week into 2017 before our first mass shooting.
    Countdown to Republicans "It's too soon to politicize this"?

They don't even need to say that anymore since they control the entire government. Yay america.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It was a real nice first 5 days.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Stuff like this hits a little closer to home considering I've flown into/out of this airport many times, including just last week.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My parents started wintering in Ft. Lauderdale.
    Glad they drove.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Oh godfuckingdamnit!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yikes. I was talking about the US where we have a very specific problem with mass shootings.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Starting a whole alt to put somebody on blast instead of a PM of, "Hey, that came off bad when considered from a global perspective" sure was

A Choice

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    that joke alt is gonna have some legs

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Today we are all giant pricks.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

I can think of several applications right off hand.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Yeah I'm really jealous that this mystery person came up with it first

That could have been my new alt!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yes I'm sad it was a "mystery person" and not me at all. Oh if it was only I who thought of it, which it was surely not. Nope not me at all.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You should all definitely pay attention to the obvious troll.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Can we get an alt January 6, 2017?

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    awww man

they should have at least kept the post up

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Yes I'm sad it was a "mystery person" and not me at all. Oh if it was only I who thought of it, which it was surely not. Nope not me at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    awww man

they should have at least kept the post up

Eh, it's maybe not the best thread to take a turn for the jokey, and that post was sending things thataway

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

What the fuck is wrong with you? Go away.

• Options
    Sorry, just sprung to mind. Not trying to be in poor taste.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Suspect information still not released. Five dead, eight injured. Witness reports that suspect may have been killed by police.

Dammit

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Better to take the shooter into custody but as long as nobody else is in harm's way I guess. :| NYT is reporting the shooter is in custody for what that's worth

• Options
    Yeah I'm leaning towards custody but there are a few reports that he was killed. Too early to know at this point.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    *Good points* Carry on, sorry bout that, Tube. Good call, Rhy

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Possible ID of

Don't post this until the police say it.

• Options
    MariisunMariisun In the plains of NefirRegistered User regular
    Ugh, my stomach dropped for a sec. My little sister works at the airport. I had to call her. She's okay.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That possible ID report comes from Florida Senator Bill Nelson, for the record. He's claiming that he was told the name of the shooter by the head of the TSA.

Not saying that as a defense of the ID or anything, just as an additional note.

• Options
    Please don't treat this thread like Twitter. If something substantial comes in, post it. Don't post rumors and hearsay.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Florida Senator Bill Nelson told the network that the suspect's name was 26-year-old Estaban Santiago and that he was found with a military ID. It was not clear if the ID belonged to the gunman.

Witness John Schichler told MSNBC that a slender man in a blue "Star Wars" shirt began randomly firing at travelers, and was able to reload his gun at least once during the shooting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/police-respond-reports-gunfire-ft-lauderdale-airport-article-1.2937393

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I still have the hardest time dealing with the fact that I've almost grown desensitized to this shit because it happens so often.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm ready. Just, confiscate the guns. All of em. I'll turn mine in, and I love mine. :/ fuck

Sadly that's not a realistic get, I know. Even if it was realistic, logistically it's impossible. Ugh

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    SoFla checking in, basically it's all anybody is talking about at work today. All the local news is reporting the same nothing.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fort-lauderdale-shooting-gunman-opens-fire-airport-killing-least-1-n704001
    Lea said the shooter made his way down through baggage claim with what looked like a 9 mm firearm and emptied his entire clip. "People were trying to run," he said.

"Once he finished shooting, he walked down by Door 2, threw his gun on the ground, and laid down on the ground, spread-eagle, until the first officer came — which was probably a minute later," Lea told MSNBC. "He was not shot at all, was not wounded."

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article124963889.html
    A lone gunman killed five people and injured eight Friday at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, which was forced to shut down and thrust into chaos as a false report of a second shooter sent passengers scrambling about an hour after the first shooting. The suspected gunman was identified as Esteban Santiago, law enforcement officials told the Miami Herald. He is thought to have been a passenger on a flight from Canada that landed at FLL at around noon with a checked gun in his baggage. After retrieving his bag, Santiago is believed to have gone into the bathroom and loaded the weapon. Then he stepped into the Terminal 2 baggage-claim area and began shooting.
    Court records show that Santiago had minor brushes with the law when he lived in Alaska, including a $1,000 fine for driving without insurance and another infraction for driving with broken tail lights. An Anchorage landlord evicted him last year for failure to pay rent. In January, he was charged with misdemeanor counts of property damage and assault. That case is ongoing. His attorney did not respond to a request for comment. Santiago has no criminal record in Florida.

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My parents literally just got there on a vacation and had left the airport shortly before it happened. Needless to say, I'm indescribably relieved they're both okay.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    My parents literally just got there on a vacation and had left the airport shortly before it happened. Needless to say, I'm indescribably relieved they're both okay.

:bro:

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    A lone gunman killed five people and injured eight Friday at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, which was forced to shut down and thrust into chaos as a false report of a second shooter sent passengers scrambling about an hour after the first shooting. The suspected gunman was identified as Esteban Santiago, law enforcement officials told the Miami Herald. He is thought to have been a passenger on a flight from Canada that landed at FLL at around noon with a checked gun in his baggage. After retrieving his bag, Santiago is believed to have gone into the bathroom and loaded the weapon. Then he stepped into the Terminal 2 baggage-claim area and began shooting.
    Court records show that Santiago had minor brushes with the law when he lived in Alaska, including a $1,000 fine for driving without insurance and another infraction for driving with broken tail lights. An Anchorage landlord evicted him last year for failure to pay rent. In January, he was charged with misdemeanor counts of property damage and assault. That case is ongoing. His attorney did not respond to a request for comment. Santiago has no criminal record in Florida.

The fuck does someone on a flight from Canada have a handgun in his checked baggage? He shouldn't have been able to bring that in to our country, let alone out. Unless it was just a connection between two US destinations and he never had to go through Canadian security?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

The fuck does someone on a flight from Canada have a handgun in his checked baggage? He shouldn't have been able to bring that in to our country, let alone out. Unless it was just a connection between two US destinations and he never had to go through Canadian security?

Or he flew to Canada with it and they kicked him out without seizing it.