As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Smash Mouth Appreciation Thread

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    How any of y'all managed to get through more than like three minutes of that horrifying loop mix I will honestly never know.

Is this what getting old feels like?

Have The Kids started listening to music I don't understand?

I doubt it! I've got a couple of library aides who were too young to remember The Matrix, and I'll make them listen to this mess. But I don't think the musical references are For Them. I think this is a very special disaster for people around 30.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I always felt the Such Great Heights and The Middle would mash up well together.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    wow wow is a legitimately fantastic song.

The lyrics make it even better. Almost every line is hysterical.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Only like 1/5 of mouth moods did anything for me

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    How any of y'all managed to get through more than like three minutes of that horrifying loop mix I will honestly never know.

I doubt it! I've got a couple of library aides who were too young to remember The Matrix, and I'll make them listen to this mess. But I don't think the musical references are For Them. I think this is a very special disaster for people around 30.

Neil Cicierega is the creativity of the Internet made flesh.

Also this is the third one of these albums. The previous ones have some great shit, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEYc8ar2Bpw

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    he also has a band called Lemon Demon which has made some real bangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjCyVfBiwpE

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I will say that the opening track (which I later learned was named "shit") strikes me as the most maximalist you-like-this-bullshit-well-fuckin-shovel-it-in-your-maw-you-goblins of the songs

there are plenty of seemingly intentional groaners throughout the album (which are hit-or-miss depending on your tastes), and torturous meme edging (the back-to-back one weeks, followed by making you happy to be saved by all star) but there are also some real bangers and funny jokes interspersed

I'd recommend the smooth criminal mashup at the very least

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

I normally dislike covers and remixes, but even I enjoyed listening to this album. Probably not more than once though, I have a very low tolerance for this stuff. I don't even like Girl Talk, and this forum could not shut the fuck up about them a few years ago.

oh, my sweet Australian engine wizard

I still haven't

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I will say that the opening track (which I later learned was named "shit") strikes me as the most maximalist you-like-this-bullshit-well-fuckin-shovel-it-in-your-maw-you-goblins of the songs

there are plenty of seemingly intentional groaners throughout the album (which are hit-or-miss depending on your tastes), and torturous meme edging (the back-to-back one weeks, followed by making you happy to be saved by all star) but there are also some real bangers and funny jokes interspersed

The opening track is named "The Starting Line", the last song is "Shit".

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

oh ok then @SimBen LIED to me

i take back a small sliver of the ""props"" I'd given it

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Linkin Park vocals combined with happy music is super dumb and I love it.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

oh ok then @SimBen LIED to me

i take back a small sliver of the ""props"" I'd given it

Shit's the last song and it's a work of art, teddy

ART

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Also it hasn't been pointed out yet but leading into the BNL double feature with a bit of O Canada is inspired.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Tiger is a masterpiece.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mouth moods is good but it's weird to me how the only mashups to get mainstream penetration are by white dudes

• Options
    ok

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mouth moods is good but it's weird to me how the only mashups to get mainstream penetration are by white dudes

I am the worst at naming songs, but I thought there was some rap or R&B in there?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I am the worst at naming songs, but I thought there was some rap or R&B in there?

Talking about mashup artists not the samples

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I would point out that there are a number of PoC on soundcloud that are known for mashups but that's not really mainstream penetration

though also I kinda doubt that Neil has what anyone would refer to as mainstream penetration outside of internet cultures

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

He's one of two I know by name and the other one I only know because people in this thread keep bringing it up.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    like, you're never ever gonna hear Tiger on KISS FM

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I would point out that there are a number of PoC on soundcloud that are known for mashups but that's not really mainstream penetration

though also I kinda doubt that Neil has what anyone would refer to as mainstream penetration outside of internet cultures

Yeah I guess a better way to say it is that I wish that the diversity of mashup culture was better represented to a wider audience

• Options

He's one of two I know by name and the other one I only know because people in this thread keep bringing it up.

Yeah but youre about as hip as a max steel trapper keeper

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    That is pretty fuckin hip if you ask me

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Yeah but youre about as hip as a max steel trapper keeper

Isn't that what constitutes "mainstream" though? The whole concept of someone being mainstream is "recognized by people who have no other reason to know about this".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    That is pretty fuckin hip if you ask me

I was more of an action man dude myself

• Options
    like, you're never ever gonna hear Tiger on KISS FM

I am also guessing that radio stations would be hesitant to play tiger because even though the sampling is TECHNICALLY legal it's messy

And my local public radio music station played tracks from feed the animals regularly but that's an exception because the current is a weirs singular entity

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Danger Mouse's Grey Album?

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Yeah good catch!

• Options

Yeah good catch!

But yeah there's not many, which I attribute to mashups being so seeped in internet irony culture that just seems to scream bored white college kid with a mac.

• Options
    Most tend to be anonymous too. Not deliberately, but it happens as an individual song gets shared around.

Album's don't have the same problem.

• Options
    So I never realized until now just how fucking omnipresent Neil Cicierega has been in my internet history.

Potter Puppet Pals? Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny? Hyakugojyuuichi?

Fucking hell, what other earlier internet shit did he come up with?

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Brody Quest

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    brodyquest is one of my favorite things

not because it is excellent in and of itself, although it is

Adrian Brody has seen it, of course--if nothing else, he has at least one friend who's an internet weirdo and saw it the day it came out and sent it to him

and he watched it and was just like "huh" or maybe he really enjoyed it for all the same reasons the rest of us do, and then got on with his life

which is not the reason it is one of my favorite things, although this, too, is excellent

what I like is the possibility that, six months or a year later, some elderly, half-savvy relative saw it on fuckin' Huffpo or whatever, and then sent it in an email to Adrian with the subject, "just saw the trailer for your new movie"

and I can't think of anything more entertaining than Adrian Brody trying to explain Brodyquest to some dessiccated great aunt, and failing

Shorty on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, I can't even explain to my mom what I do. I'm a library manager, and every time I hire a new librarian she's pissed off that they didn't hire me for that job instead. I can't even imagine trying to talk my way down from being an internet meme.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    brodyquest is one of my favorite things

not because it is excellent in and of itself, although it is

Adrian Brody has seen it, of course--if nothing else, he has at least one friend who's an internet weirdo and saw it the day it came out and sent it to him

and he watched it and was just like "huh" or maybe he really enjoyed it for all the same reasons the rest of us do, and then got on with his life

which is not the reason it is one of my favorite things, although this, too, is excellent

what I like is the possibility that, six months or a year later, some elderly, half-savvy relative saw it on fuckin' Huffpo or whatever, and then sent it in an email to Adrian with the subject, "just saw the trailer for your new movie"

and I can't think of anything more entertaining than Adrian Brody trying to explain Brodyquest to some dessiccated great aunt, and failing

God I would watch an actual Brodyquest movie

• Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Brody Quest

JESUS CHRIST REALLY?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Brody Quest

JESUS CHRIST REALLY?

Yes.

Also he's your dad.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Yeah I guess a better way to say it is that I wish that the diversity of mashup culture was better represented to a wider audience

if it makes you feel better, mashup culture is a term I first read from this very post!

as such, all artists are equally unheard of by me (regardless of race, religion, or political belief)!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i can only name two mashup artists period, and one of them is siIlva gunner

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg