As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Smash Mouth Appreciation Thread

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Brody Quest

JESUS CHRIST REALLY?

dude is prolific in weird internet shit

also his sister is the best and also my wife

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Before the recession there was a radio station here that played nothing but mashups for an hour at midnight on Saturdays.

They also did other stuff like "Punk Rock Academy" where they'd take a given punk band and work through their discography with like one track per album, "Indie Blog Heaven" around lunch which would be only non-major label bands, and "the 420 at 10:20" which would be a reggae or Ska song. Toward the end they had a "send any five songs and the reasons you picked them" as sets for during rush hour driving home. I heard fucking k-pop and video game music on the radio.

I miss them.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    siivagunner is like

fifty people

there's an original guy who started the channel and got the ball rolling though and was more or less in charge of the project

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brody Quest

JESUS CHRIST REALLY?

No idea if this is a joke, but if this is real, next time you see him thank him for me. This album's release was a real pick-me-up after how reality has been going this week.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brody Quest

JESUS CHRIST REALLY?

I can't even tell if you're joking or not.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I am become Mouth Moods

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think pip was making a bad joke

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    So I never realized until now just how fucking omnipresent Neil Cicierega has been in my internet history.

Potter Puppet Pals? Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny? Hyakugojyuuichi?

Fucking hell, what other earlier internet shit did he come up with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AXPnH0C9UA

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Brody Quest

JESUS CHRIST REALLY?

I can't even tell if you're joking or not.

I'm pretty positive Pip isn't married to Emmy Cicierega but he's right that she's the best.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    That was very much supposed to be read in the original Borat

I've done it, people can't even tell if I'm shitposting anymore

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Pip don't worry, I've always known your posts are shit

I dunno, I've got a pretty simple solution for that:

1) Is the post from Pip?
    Y) Is shitpost.
    N) Further evaluation needed.
    2) END

cdci44qazyo3.gif

rude tbqh

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The bagel is omnipotent, which means that post is 100% correct.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

You've reached The -Tal Echelon

You've reached The -Tal Echelon

Fuck, I can't stop saying this out loud. It's got a real good mouthfeel

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    *extremely michael ironside voice* welcome to sixth echelon

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Since I enjoyed the new one, I grabbed the older two Mouth albums to listen to in the car.

The first All Star appearance was fine, the second was...fine. The third or fourth appearance made me grimace.

But by the fifth or so time it showed up I would just start giggling as soon as I heard SOME-.

uyvfOQy.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the whole joke of the first one is it being almost nothing but all-star mash-ups

the joke of the second is that it is presented as not having all-star in it, but in actuality it's hidden all over the album

https://youtu.be/sAJQQymhn9o

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Strangely enough, although I've only listened to a few random songs off the first two albums before now, I had already watched that video. It's incredible.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    the whole joke of the first one is it being almost nothing but all-star mash-ups

the joke of the second is that it is presented as not having all-star in it, but in actuality it's hidden all over the album

https://youtu.be/sAJQQymhn9o

That's because Mouth Silence is a prequel, and although nobody had noticed yet, the incursion from the universe where all music is All Star had already begun

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Mouth Sounds suffers from being not the greatest at a technical level, whereas by the time Neil made Silence his skills had improved a ton

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I've wanted to try this Av/Title/Sig since saturday but I didn't bring my laptop home to crop the images

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Mouth Mood's T.I.M.E. has got me listening to village people and man, they had some bangers. Like I wish I did karaoke, because these songs would be great for that.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I've wanted to try this Av/Title/Sig since saturday but I didn't bring my laptop home to crop the images

brother

edited February 2017
    Today I drove to the gas station with a friend, and One Week came on the radio, and he couldn't figure out why that was so funny to me

We went in, purchased some beers/smokes, and got back into the car to drive home

And Back in Black was playing on my other go-to station

I had to pull off and park. He was so confused until we got back to my place and I showed him why.

THESPOOKY on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    oh man

this one goes places

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey5GItze-BY

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I'm not done listening to these, but Avril is pretty good.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I think Man Piano is the closest to non-outtake material. The rest seem... thin?

Gvzbgul on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    foo fighters and the strokes suffer from a similar problem where every album they put out has some absolute bangers and the rest is kinda samey mediocre not-even-radio fodder

but man their bangers are great

Pages late, but man, I love The Strokes. Is This It? and Room on Fire are so brisk, to the point, and catchy that either is an easy listen in its entirety (if you're into the "garage revival" kind of rock). I do agree that their subsequent albums were a mix of hit-and-miss compositions, but I give them credit for not just trying to recreate their first two albums in perpetuity. Also Casablancas and Hammond Jr. (the curly-fro guitarist) have done some decent solo material. Moreover these guys were formative with influencing subsequent bands like The Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party, and Tokyo Police Club - they were a band I got into during my formative teenage years at the same time as they were getting yuuuge contemporaneously so that's probably why they hold an important place in my music tastes alongside other bands I love but only got into past their prime, or at a time when they were doing late-career victory laps.

Just to indulge some more in my admiration of the band: deceptively simple, yet intricate (for pop-rock) dueling guitars that are easy to listen to for the layperson, but reward those who are into repeat/in-depth listening; a drummer who is so precise and relentless with his timing that he's fooled multiple critics into thinking some of their songs used a drum machine for the back beat when it's really intentionally lo-fi or super processed recording; solid, but underrated, bassist who does a great job as an intermediary between dueling guitars while at the same time having the bass occupy its own sonic presence in their recordings. I could probably write a thesis on these guys' contributions to post-2000 rock music.

CptKemzik on
    edited September 2017
    Hey this seems like a good thread to talk about that nazi getting punched out yesterday. As far as mouth smashings I appreciate go, it's pretty high on the list

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's replaced the Glenn Danzig video as my favorite watching someone get knocked the fuck out video.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it's such a good punch

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I missed the punch