As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    As for best jurps of the year here's my top 5:

5) SMT4:A - It's SMT game. A little weak in the story department but a nice take on the press turn system.

4) Cyber Sleuth- It was simple and a bit shallow and had awful balance... but I'll be damned if I didn't have a good time with. Nostalgia of digimon was enough to carry it.

3)TMS- Charming and fun new interesting mechanics. The sessions got a bit repetitive late game and the dungeons weren't the most exciting.

2) FF15- Not without a lot of flaws but still a strong game especially as the first outing for an open worldish FF game. Considering the competition it has an easier time.

1) Pokemon SM- Even the worst Pokemon is a good game and this might be my favorite pokemon game. Lots of welcome changes and updates(and a few unwanted, bring back super training!)

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Random reason #23753 I'm excited for Berseria:

I get to play as a guy who is tall but not a hulking behemoth and is also 30 without being a grizzled old man.

globbless

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I mean his bio describes him as a 1000 year old man with the appearance of a 30 year old

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I have no problem with Nomura running the show for KH3 because that series is his baby and I love that series.

But he's obviously slow and it was a bad idea to put him on other games at the same time.

They should have just kept him on KH to begin with.

I mean his bio describes him as a 1000 year old man with the appearance of a 30 year old

Yes. The appearance is all that matters in those cases. He's a 30 year old that doesn't look like an old man.

When they have a 12 year old who is really 1000 it's not like what we're looking at isn't a 12 year old.

We're talking about an appearance and usually jurps tend to make the 30+ appearance as much older looking.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Hmm, now that Scalebound is canceled and NieR: Automata is finishing up.

Could we have another Square Enix and Platinum joint? Like, say...

Drakengard 4 by the combined talents of Taro Yoko and Hideki Kamiya.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Have Platinum do the next KH spinoff.

Starring Axel.

Because Quinton Flynn.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hmm, now that Scalebound is canceled and NieR: Automata is finishing up.

Could we have another Square Enix and Platinum joint? Like, say...

Drakengard 4 by the combined talents of Taro Yoko and Hideki Kamiya.

Let platinum make a new Brave Fencer Musashi or Vagrant Story.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. I forgot to add Digimon to my list.

I enjoyed that way more than I thought I would.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Thought it was hilarious anyone thought that "Episode One" or whatever of FF7 would land this year.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Doing 2.8, THEN 1.5/2.5 seems weird to me. Having 1.5 on the PS4 is nice, but how many people are really going to touch the back half of that disc?

The back half has the two best KH games in it?

I'm not sure I understand.

X22wmuF.jpg
    turtleant wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Doing 2.8, THEN 1.5/2.5 seems weird to me. Having 1.5 on the PS4 is nice, but how many people are really going to touch the back half of that disc?

The back half has the two best KH games in it?

I'm not sure I understand.

My issue is that I'd have liked to play BBS but the PS4 comes out after 2.8 so I'll have already watched an LP so that I can enjoy 2.8.

I'm actually currently LPing BBS with a friend.

It's good stuff. Getting me real hype for 2.8

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    BBS is also just real fun to play

I loved the combat in that game

I do think BBS kinda drops the ball on the final boss fights.

Well, we haven't recorded Aqua'a campaign yet, so we'll see about that.

But I thought the final fights for Terra and Ventus were kinda bad.

I feel that the strengths of the combat system show more when fighting regular enemies, and you can tear shit up with command styles and d-links.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've played maybe a few hours of World of Final Fantasy. I like it a lot. The stacking system is dumb and adorable, all the various mirages you can get into your party are also adorable (except I just got a horrible gigantic right hand and now I need the left one so I can go around with its matching pair, riding around on my demonic claws).

The characters are mostly ok. I like the sister, but holy shit the brother is the dumbest person in the universe. It's mind-boggling how stupid he is. The mascot character is also an issue, being maybe the worst mascot character in any jrpg ever. Her verbal tic makes every line of dialogue a chore to drag meaning out of. She's why I haven't installed the voice acting dlc, I think it would actually kill me.

Other than that though the gameplay and just how charming everything is is a lot of fun.

Aistan wrote: »
    I've played maybe a few hours of World of Final Fantasy. I like it a lot. The stacking system is dumb and adorable, all the various mirages you can get into your party are also adorable (except I just got a horrible gigantic right hand and now I need the left one so I can go around with its matching pair, riding around on my demonic claws).

The characters are mostly ok. I like the sister, but holy shit the brother is the dumbest person in the universe. It's mind-boggling how stupid he is. The mascot character is also an issue, being maybe the worst mascot character in any jrpg ever. Her verbal tic makes every line of dialogue a chore to drag meaning out of. She's why I haven't installed the voice acting dlc, I think it would actually kill me.

Other than that though the gameplay and just how charming everything is is a lot of fun.

Aye that's my issue.

I can't play an rpg for just the gameplay. And Lann is enough to drive me away from the game all by himself.

Then again I also don't like the stacking mechanic because I can't look at it just from a gameplay perspective and the models just poorly placed on top of each other just looks so non-aesthetically pleasing to me.

And then the fact the the monsters all start at level 1 which I just don't really understand at all.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The only JRPGs I played in 2016 were Tales of Xillia and Atelier Meruru. I'm way behind on the Jurp scene.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed those two games. Still have a bit left in Meruru to wrap up.

Next up? Tales of Xillia 2 and another Atelier game. And Recettear, which I picked up from the Steam sale. So, uh, I'll still be behind for awhile.

I did start World of Final Fantasy, which I liked, but I set it down to finish some other things before delving into it. I'll probably get to it next month and try to complete it before Andromeda drops.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    The Sauce wrote: »
    The only JRPGs I played in 2016 were Tales of Xillia and Atelier Meruru. I'm way behind on the Jurp scene.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed those two games. Still have a bit left in Meruru to wrap up.

Next up? Tales of Xillia 2 and another Atelier game. And Recettear, which I picked up from the Steam sale. So, uh, I'll still be behind for awhile.

I did start World of Final Fantasy, which I liked, but I set it down to finish some other things before delving into it. I'll probably get to it next month and try to complete it before Andromeda drops.

I would like to hear your thoughts on ToX2.

It takes some interesting steps and overall I think I enjoyed playing it even more than the first.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I liked ToX2 just cause it had the closest thing to a couple confirmation that the series is ever gonna get.

Was fun too.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I found the side story that was a resolution to some unfinished business from ToX to be more satisfying than the main story and characters in ToX2. The player-protagonist thing they tried with that game felt like a bit of an unsuccesful experiment. In a lot of ways it felt like someone's fan-fiction intruding into the ToX game.

However, the character interactions remain pretty good and despite the fan-fiction nature they do a decent job with the new character/storyline.

If you play multiplayer or non-lead characters in the game, then the balance of all characters is even better than before. Combat is very smooth and there's a lot of different ways to approach it depending on which characters you are using. @ me if you get into the game and want a link to a spreadsheet showing the arte usage powerups plus some recommendations for comboing with different characters.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Atlus has put up a website for an unspecified Shin Megami Tensei 25th anniversary project:

http://shin-megamitensei.jp/

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed ToX2; it's easily my favorite entry in the series. Loved the combat system, and it was fun seeing the characters from the first game just kind of hang out with each other while the player character dealt with all the heavy plot shit.

The ME2 style loyalty missions were great too.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, Ayer's counter attack hits hard. I have 2 sources of enmity in my weapon pool right now, and while normal melee hits are in the 8k range, his counter is around 100k per hit. Bonkers.

Eventually you'll hit a point where it's no longer worth it to use gauge on the counter, and just use his first skill and ougi and watch him wreck house with huge normal attacks with +50% Earth damage echoes.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I only played bravely second this year though I always considered fire emblem to be more of an srpg

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Wait, how the heck did they decide to go from the character saying "nano desu" at the end of each sentence into sticking "the" randomly throughout each sentence? That doesn't make any sense. I get it's a figure of speech in japanese that doesn't have an equivalent in english, but that doesn't mean you instead make up something out of whole cloth. "Nano desu" at the end of each sentence is weird and stands out, but it at least imparts meaning. Randomly putting in "the" just makes me think she has a speech impediment or brain disorder.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm kind of tempted to ticket the Tezac summon next time the special ticket comes around, because my team is basically the perfect fit for him.

Artereis on
    edited January 2017
    Just noticed that they put Genjuro into the SamSho event instead of Ukyo, even though it's clearly based on SamSho 1 since Amakusa is the boss, and I'm so salty.
    Artereis wrote: »
    I'm kind of tempted to ticket the Tezac summon next time the special ticket comes around, because my team is basically the perfect fit for him.

Halle/Ayer/Mahira or Halloween Eustace or Korwa is basically the defacto HL Earth team right now, with Mahira probably being the best of those three.

Tezac is probably a smart investment next, also grab Tezac friend summons whenever you see them of course

Maddoc on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Wait, how the heck did they decide to go from the character saying "nano desu" at the end of each sentence into sticking "the" randomly throughout each sentence? That doesn't make any sense. I get it's a figure of speech in japanese that doesn't have an equivalent in english, but that doesn't mean you instead make up something out of whole cloth. "Nano desu" at the end of each sentence is weird and stands out, but it at least imparts meaning. Randomly putting in "the" just makes me think she has a speech impediment or brain disorder.

This is why I have Japanese voices on. I can ignore nano desu, I absolutely CANNOT just ignore random the's.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I love the 'the-' verbal tick. I find it cute. :(

Grabbed all three Damascus Crystals from the event shop and still have not had a single sword or spear drop.

Don't want to burn elixirs on it because I'm saving those for SamSho.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Oh yeah and if we're counting jurps that I played this year that didn't actually come out this year, I bought and played through Thousand Year Door

That game was a joy

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I cycle between hating Tama with a passion so intense it suprasses the Planck limit, and thinking she is totally adorable

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    WoFF: I like Lann because the game freely admits that he is pretty dumb. It doesn't try to gloss it over. Which works well enough with me.

ToX2: I would have liked it a lot more if there just wasn't so much bullshit in the combat that basically devolved into just gaining meter to transform to avoid getting gibbed. I definitely liked it more than ToX.

I think FFXV was my favorite Jurp of the year. I actually rather liked the parts people seem to have a problem with. Maybe shave off 10~ minutes here or there. As some parts do stretch a bit too long.

Beside that, FFXIV and DQ 7 ate up a lot of my time.

Oh, also granblue. Best Jurp.

steam_sig.png
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote:
    Oh yeah and if we're counting jurps that I played this year that didn't actually come out this year, I bought and played through Thousand Year Door

That game was a joy

A local shop had that for 80 euro, I'm sad I couldn't afford it.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Tries out the Tales of Berseria demo. Tried a couple tales games in the past and they didn't stick with me, doesn't seem like this one will be any different. I hope it's good for Tales fans.

January is bullshit and making me cry. Why did every single company decide to put out their JRPG or Weeb game all in the same damn month!?

Fate/Extella
    Yakuza 0
    Digimon: World Order
    Tales of Berseria
    Kingdom Hearts 2.8
    Atelier Shallie Plus
    Dynasty Warriors: Godseekers
    Nioh
    Dragon Quest VIII 3DS
    (Gravity Rush 2)
    (Resident EVII)

Then the English release that I'm personally aware off right afterwards...

Febuary:
    Super Robot Wars V (Asian English)

March:
    Nier: Automata
    Atelier Firis
    Demon Gaze II (Asian English)
    Akiba's Beat
    Summon Night 6
    (The PS4 collection of KH1.5 & 2.5)

Then later in the year we'll still have Trails in the Sky: The 3rd, Tokyo Xanadu, Ys VIII, Persona 5, Ni no Kuni II, Mary Skelter, etc.

2017 is, without question, going to be a year of the JRPG. But holy fuck is January overstacked to wallet-mass-murdering amounts.

January is bullshit and making me cry. Why did every single company decide to put out their JRPG or Weeb game all in the same damn month!?

Fate/Extella
    Yakuza 0
    Digimon: World Order
    Tales of Berseria
    Kingdom Hearts 2.8
    Atelier Shallie Plus
    Dynasty Warriors: Godseekers
    Nioh
    Dragon Quest VIII 3DS
    (Gravity Rush 2)
    (Resident EVII)

Then the English release that I'm personally aware off right afterwards...

Febuary:
    Super Robot Wars V (Asian English)

March:
    Nier: Automata
    Atelier Firis
    Demon Gaze II (Asian English)
    Akiba's Beat
    Summon Night 6
    (The PS4 collection of KH1.5 & 2.5)

Then later in the year we'll still have Trails in the Sky: The 3rd, Tokyo Xanadu, Ys VIII, Persona 5, Ni no Kuni II, Mary Skelter, etc.

2017 is, without question, going to be a year of the JRPG. But holy fuck is January overstacked to wallet-mass-murdering amounts.

The whole first quarter of the year is a mess with things to play.

Pure insanity. I'm both excited at the prospect of good games and angry that I have to make choices.

This discussion has been closed.