As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also, they already feel like their own thing because they're tailored to the platform

Aye. That's precisely the issue!

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The Radiant Historia remake is a 3DS game. And it has new stuff. So it's not just a remake I guess.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm trying to remember if I liked radiant historia or not...

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    The Radiant Historia remake is a 3DS game. And it has new stuff. So it's not just a remake I guess.

Oh wait a remake?

I didn't read closely. I thought they were talking about a new game.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

I need this.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Also, they already feel like their own thing because they're tailored to the platform

How

• Options
    edited March 2017

How

First note I'm talking about why *I* do not like them.

So the clear takeaway from the start should be that if they are all similar and that particular type of game is something I don't like I'm not going to like it no matter how many times you change the skin.

As for specifics? They feel low budget and simple. The gameplay is all the most basic form of press button get number. Rinse repeat through next level. If you get to a level you can't do yet press button and get number elsewhere until your number is high enough to do the new one that is exactly the same as all the other levels with bigger numbers. Oh and of course there's the spend money for random chances at things. I'm not really interested in spending money on nothing. And then the daily limits which both means you should play a certain amount per day or miss out and also not play more than that certain amount per day. Neither of which are things that fit into my life at all.

Basically it's all just numbers very thinly veiled by whatever brand skin that particular game has plus gambling. So if you don't like gambling AND the entire game being just plugging numbers into a spreadsheet there's not much to enjoy.

Of course plenty of people like that thrill of gambling and like having a simple game they can pop out anywhere get some fun out of and toss it back in their pocket.

But since every single damn one is like this that means the entire platform is useless for gaming unless you are into this very specific type of gaming.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

I need this.

Switch games aren't region locked!

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Any word on an English release of this Radiant Historia thing?

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Put me in the "despises the vast majority of phone games" bucket.

I do not find the physical act of playing on one fun, and I find the general design philosophy of games on the platform to be a detriment much more often than not.

Even the best ones usually end up feeling like throwaway experiences to me, and it bums me out to see franchises I'd otherwise be interested in get shuffled off into mobile purgatory.

I also find F2P/gatcha design to be really repulsive.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    There are seriously tons of phone games that have no gacha/gambling in them I never understand this complaint.

Also I can't be the only one enjoying the irony of complaining about "press button, get number" gameplay in the jurp thread, right?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

How

So the clear takeaway from the start should be that if they are all similar and that particular type of game is something I don't like I'm not going to like it no matter how many times you change the skin.

As for specifics? They feel low budget and simple. The gameplay is all the most basic form of press button get number. Rinse repeat through next level. If you get to a level you can't do yet press button and get number elsewhere until your number is high enough to do the new one that is exactly the same as all the other levels with bigger numbers. Oh and of course there's the spend money for random chances at things. I'm not really interested in spending money on nothing. And then the daily limits which both means you should play a certain amount per day or miss out and also not play more than that certain amount per day. Neither of which are things that fit into my life at all.

Basically it's all just numbers very thinly veiled by whatever brand skin that particular game has plus gambling. So if you don't like gambling AND the entire game being just plugging numbers into a spreadsheet there's not much to enjoy.

Of course plenty of people like that thrill of gambling and like having a simple game they can pop out anywhere get some fun out of and toss it back in their pocket.

But since every single damn one is like this that means the entire platform is useless for gaming unless you are into this very specific type of gaming.

I feel like this is being a little uncharitable. I don't have a ton of experience with mobile games, but Record Keeper at least as complex as any SNES Final Fantasy game, and tactically feels complete. The story is obviously thin.

It's also strange to say phone games are just the dumb gacha system when I can play FF7, 9, and Tactics.

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    There are seriously tons of phone games that have no gacha/gambling in them I never understand this complaint.

Also I can't be the only one enjoying the irony of complaining about "press button, get number" gameplay in the jurp thread, right?

I chose my words very specifically when I said "most basic form of"

You can boil any game down to the basics. The point is what layers are on top to make it feel like more.

• Options
    The ones that aren't gatcha games still feel cheap and shallow to me, generally.

But a lot of the specific games I would otherwise be interested in are gatcha games. So it's hard for me personally not to see mobile gaming as a gatcha hellscape.

Kingdom Hearts X, for example, bums me the fuck out because I would like to experience the story it's telling in a game that wasn't just tapping the screen with my finger while dragging things out into an overlong gatcha slog.

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »

How

I feel like this is being a little uncharitable. I don't have a ton of experience with mobile games, but Record Keeper at least as complex as any SNES Final Fantasy game, and tactically feels complete. The story is obviously thin.

It's also strange to say phone games are just the dumb gacha system when I can play FF7, 9, and Tactics.

I'm talking about original games. Remakes are obviously cool and rad for people who like to replay stuff or didn't get to enjoy stuff before. And is a really great use of the platform in my opinion. I don't replay games so that's never a field that is going to apply to me personally.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

How

I'm talking about original games. Remakes are obviously cool and rad for people who like to replay stuff or didn't get to enjoy stuff before. And is a really great use of the platform in my opinion. I don't replay games so that's never a field that is going to apply to me personally.

If they can run those games they can do an original of similar scope. With Nintendo apparently getting out of pocket portables I think phones are probably going to pick up that space. You can't beat the install base, after all. I wonder if N-Gage style phones will pop up again. I don't think it was a bad idea, just way too early.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

How

I played FFRK at an end game level for a few months. Whether you can clear content is entirely up to how lucky you get out of the gachapon, and there's no real tactics to be done. Did I get sentinels grimoire and boon up in time? No? Restart. Got them up in time? Buff cloud and do your retaliates. That game could be fun if they radically rebalanced it but it has nowhere near the strategic depth of a real final fantasy, which isn't even saying much because final fantasy isn't known for strategic depth.

Also I think generally a rerelease of a classic game onto a phone isn't what people refer to as a "phone game". That, to me anyway, means something like ffrk, pad, fire emblem heroes. A stamina system and probably gacha, too. Personally I've played all three of those games a bunch and the conclusion I've come to with every one is that I LOATHE gachapon mechanics, and I'd much rather play a game with controlled progression as opposed to boy I hope I get a 5* takumi like everyone else whoops I didn't guess I'm just bad

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options

How

If they can run those games they can do an original of similar scope. With Nintendo apparently getting out of pocket portables I think phones are probably going to pick up that space. You can't beat the install base, after all. I wonder if N-Gage style phones will pop up again. I don't think it was a bad idea, just way too early.

This is the kinda stuff I'd love to see!

My point is that so far they haven't shown this. Probably because the gacha system prints money.

But until I see it I can only base my thoughts on what phone games currently are. And that's where we loop back to everything I said above.

• Options
    Also I don't really find the ports of other games fun to play on the platform because I get negative enjoyment out of touch/swipe gameplay.

Take a game that I can play with a controller and give it phone controls and you will have made a port I will never bother with.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

How

This is the kinda stuff I'd love to see!

My point is that so far they haven't shown this. Probably because the gacha system prints money.

But until I see it I can only base my thoughts on what phone games currently are. And that's where we loop back to everything I said above.
    I'm sure there must be some but I cannot name a single big game originally made for the mobile platforms (IE not a retro port of an old console or computer game) that doesn't have some sort of gacha or other microtransaction-emphasizing system in it, just small indie stuff.

Final Fantasy Dimensions, the entire Chaos Rings series, the Gailardia series (a neat set of three Dragon Quest clones), pretty much all of Kemco's stuff.

Basically, go to http://toucharcade.com/category/games/role-playing/ and be amazed!

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Playing through the first Nier before Automata right now. Currently putting together the key for the first time. Going to try to get some more pieces over the week and get at least through Ending A this weekend, then power through B, C, and D hopefully before Persona 5 comes out.

All I have to say about it now is: Fuck that fucking runaway kid sidequest. Yoko Taro doesn't wait for mindscrew endings or extra playthroughs to troll players, that's for damn sure.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I have tried for five hours to beat Automata's intro on Hard.

Made it through the intro? Die to the horizontal buzzsaw swing.

Killed the buzzsaw? Die to the other two buzzsaws.

Managed to kill those other buzzsaws? Get slammed between the same buzzsaws as soon as the boss fight starts.

Survived all this and reached the "subjugate" part? Fly into the laser beam.

"...an endless cycle of life and death" indeed, 2B.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

The mobile space has been integral in reviving the text adventure and also has done great things for AR gaming and dating sins

As far as JRPGs go I think that people refuse to shift their paradigms

There's certainly some market for traditionally designed jrpgs on mobile but ultimately there will always be better ways to play those kinds of games

So you have to figure out how to leverage a platform that's designed for short time play, which results in a streamlined interpretation of the genre

But I think it's foolish to called it simplified, it's just working in a different framework

Gacha elements can definitely be a dealbreaker for people, though

I think the industry is starting to learn ways of meteing out content in ways that doesn't keep the player entirely gacha-dependent but it's not a standard yet (and fire emblem heroes probably set the genre back a couple years with its outright terrible gacha design and poor progression mechanics)

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I have tried for five hours to beat Automata's intro on Hard.

Made it through the intro? Die to the horizontal buzzsaw swing.

Killed the buzzsaw? Die to the other two buzzsaws.

Managed to kill those other buzzsaws? Get slammed between the same buzzsaws as soon as the boss fight starts.

Survived all this and reached the "subjugate" part? Fly into the laser beam.

"...an endless cycle of life and death" indeed, 2B.

I'm pretty good at this game but the literally flawless execution required for the intro on Hard is quite silly.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I say don't do hard on the intro unless you like suffering

because it's actually hard! in the real way!

but it also makes those victories so much more satisfying

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    I say don't do hard on the intro unless you like suffering

because it's actually hard! in the real way!

but it also makes those victories so much more satisfying

I already Platinum'd the game, so it's purely an exercise in the enjoyment of suffering for me!

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Is there not anything special to be had from playing on Hard besides the satisfaction?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I really
    Really
    Really appreciate that none of Automata's trophies are locked behind difficulty.

I like that the harder difficulties are "hey, feel up to this? No stakes involved except your own pride".

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Is there not anything special to be had from playing on Hard besides the satisfaction?

Not a single thing. Literally nothing is difficulty-gated. Same drops, XP, quests. Just hugely inflated damage from enemies.
    No really there's nothing. Not even an achievement!

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to dismiss mobile games wholesale.
    Probably going avoid any and all gachas

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    isn't the problem with playing mobile games on a flight the whole 'phone' thing

or is that okay now, i haven't actually been on a plane in uh

it's been a while? lot more buses and trains

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    215554049_kesRm-2100x20000.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    most phones have an airplane mode,
    so outside of always online mobile games, it's fine.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    rrrrrrrrrrright

guess i've never really had to use that, haha

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have never really understood what airplane mode does
    does it just make it stop broadcasting on the wifi bands so as not to interfere with the radio-sensitive instruments or actual radio or something?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Yeah, but you can also turn just the wifi back on to connect to the inflight wireless.

• Options
    OK, I'm gonna give myself five more tries at beating that intro before I just continue my Normal file.

I guess it's just hardwired in at this point to expect an additional cutscene/ending/achievement for higher difficulties, which is why I assumed there must be something.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Beating a game on a higher difficulty is its own pleasure. This conversation sort of reminds me of Vanquish, where you could get all the achievements without ever touching the game's highest difficulty

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

I need this.

Switch games aren't region locked!

Yeah, but I want it in English.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
This discussion has been closed.