As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's a joke that I'm amazed someone like Double Fine hadn't gotten to first

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    trophies as real money microtransactions

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just want there to be a trophy for buying a trophy, which I can buy.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    A steak! wrote: »

The trophy will be a little guy holding a trophy of a little guy holding a trophy.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    On PS4 they're called trophies so it's not as funny. But the fact that people on PC will be buying their achievements is just too funny. At the very least, it's going to create a lot of great jokes in competitive games where people can say "You should probably go play Nier so you can just buy achievements, because you surely aren't going to earn them."

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Is this a thing where all the achievements are earnable through gameplay, but you can buy them with gil if you want? Or is buying them the only way to get them?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »

The trophy will be a little guy holding a trophy of a little guy holding a trophy.

They'll give out trophies for anything these days! I didn't get a trophy just for showing up!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    nier millenial

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Renzo wrote: »
    Is this a thing where all the achievements are earnable through gameplay, but you can buy them with gil if you want? Or is buying them the only way to get them?

it's probably a thing where it's a special unique achievement for buying the trophy item in the shop which serves no purpose in the game other than to give you an achievement? I dunno I haven't looked at it that closely because I'm trying to avoid nier spoilers

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    oh good a panty shot

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    oh good a panty shot

Listen I've got some bad news for you about the nature of 2B's design

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Meh, she wears a skirt

I can honestly say that when I played the demo myself I did not try once to see up it because it just didn't occur to me. Then you go on neogaf and see everyone perving out about her panties.

But then I did do it myself because someone pointed out that when you do try to see up her skirt she smacks the camera away which is great.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    never forget buttholegate

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Question:

I wanna get Nier: Automata, but I should also know the first Nier. Can someone point me to a good LP or something?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm not sure how connected they are. Doesn't Automata take place 8000 years later or something ridiculous like that?

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    here's the best friends LP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ynpA5rGEo&list=PL57hJfweW_2uzJdZ0Du-1tYSUnwz4tQvE
    no idea how actually important nier will be to automata though

also this guy who I personally like but he doesn't have a partner to do banter commentary with
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QznPDF-KjJE&list=PLGZ5ULkBIfqXKlha09aQtVTQ66BXhHccY

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    oh good a panty shot

Listen I've got some bad news for you about the nature of 2B's design

Every Yoko Taro character is horny

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    except the dragons

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    except the dragons

You see that dragon piss

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    dragon piss is as a child's piss, innocently free of sexuality

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Question:

I wanna get Nier: Automata, but I should also know the first Nier. Can someone point me to a good LP or something?

I think someone might have already linked it, and I know I have before, but The Dark Id did a great, informative Nier LP.

https://lparchive.org/author/The%20Dark%20Id

Also did all the Drakengards, if you're interested.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how connected they are. Doesn't Automata take place 8000 years later or something ridiculous like that?

yeah and drakengard takes place in a separate universe but they manage to be connected

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

yeah and drakengard takes place in a separate universe but they manage to be connected

I also have a pet theory that Drakengard 3 directly connects to some of Nier's backstory, and I'm interested to see if Automata confirms any of it.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    There is a really good YouTube video that spends way too long going over the story of DoD/Nier. Shame I'm too lazy to look it up on my phone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    There is a really good YouTube video that spends way too long going over the story of DoD/Nier. Shame I'm too lazy to look it up on my phone.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Tactics Ogre ch1.
    Ronway you rotten so and so. I'm not doing this.
    Of course, after I make my decision, the scene BGM changes. I know this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOcE8f5nsFQ
    This is the one that plays when seriously bad shit is about to happen, when the puppeteer takes the stage. This seems awfully early in the story to hear this one.

Cromarty on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I always liked when this music played in kol even though it only played when bad things were involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIGyZDm29fI

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Well, it cost me my entire saturday, but I read an entire LP of Nier, including all endings and backstory. I think I know whatever I need to know for Nier Automata. Whatever it is that I need to know.

Also I am super sad now. I hate sad endings. I am going to hate the new game, I'm 100% positive by the end of it.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Awwwwwww. You should have played Nier. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Well, it cost me my entire saturday, but I read an entire LP of Nier, including all endings and backstory. I think I know whatever I need to know for Nier Automata. Whatever it is that I need to know.

Also I am super sad now. I hate sad endings. I am going to hate the new game, I'm 100% positive by the end of it.

yoko taro fuckin' loves sad endings

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Also WTF endings.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

He said this one's happy in the end.

But he's said a lot of things.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

He said this one's happy in the end.

But he's said a lot of things.

He said "a happy ending... of sorts" when the game was early in development.

Which got a reaction of disbelief by his fellow developers.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Maybe everyone gets to just die a normal death.

You know, instead of eternal suffering and such.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I know there's a thread for it now but just finished Bersaria and that is now in my all time jrpg a with maybe my favorite jrpg protagonist of all time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I know there's a thread for it now but just finished Bersaria and that is now in my all time jrpg a with maybe my favorite jrpg protagonist of all time

So what's your all-time JRPG list

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    right now I like the other two girls more than velvet

best jrpg protag remains stocke

but
    I actually like cloud

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maybe everyone gets to just die a normal death.

You know, instead of eternal suffering and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Gr3FsJ4A0

This discussion has been closed.