As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"[Obamacare] is the law of the land" - Paul Ryan; AHCA Round Two soon??

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I don't know how one would even logistically undo some of the things they claim to be all about killing. You don't just undo hundreds of millions of dollars in support to high need community hospitals and expect it to be okay with people.

Edit: I'm trying to locate it, but I recall a poll where they did not mention Obama and asked if people thought the Affordable Care Act was a good idea, and an overwhelming majority said yes. As soon as you call it Obamacare, suddenly it's a nefarious plot by an uppity black man who hates working class white people."THANKS OBAMA!"

A friend of mine (in the States), who is diabetic amongst other things, said in conversation at one point: "There's a part of Obamacare that's called the Affordable Care Act..."

I had to interrupt and shut him down right there.

That nickname has been so problematic, just as it was surely intended to be from day one. I can't imagine my friend is alone in thinking that Obamacare and the ACA are not the same thing (although at least he knew they are related, which I guess is more than some seem to).

But yeah, it really seems that, to grossly oversimplify, the ACA is a popular thing, but Obamacare is not.

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I don't know how one would even logistically undo some of the things they claim to be all about killing. You don't just undo hundreds of millions of dollars in support to high need community hospitals and expect it to be okay with people.

Edit: I'm trying to locate it, but I recall a poll where they did not mention Obama and asked if people thought the Affordable Care Act was a good idea, and an overwhelming majority said yes. As soon as you call it Obamacare, suddenly it's a nefarious plot by an uppity black man who hates working class white people."THANKS OBAMA!"

A friend of mine (in the States), who is diabetic amongst other things, said in conversation at one point: "There's a part of Obamacare that's called the Affordable Care Act..."

That nickname has been so problematic, just as it was surely intended to be from day one. I can't imagine my friend is alone in thinking that Obamacare and the ACA are not the same thing (although at least he knew they are related, which I guess is more than some seem to).

But yeah, it really seems that, to grossly oversimplify, the ACA is a popular thing, but Obamacare is not.

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

Your friend certainly is not the only one; there have been a few popular images floating around in the past few days of people expressing just that. Not to mention the articles where reporters go into Kentucky or wherever and explain to people "you do understand that the Congress is about to take that healthcare away from you, right?" And people are completely and utterly shocked to find out that they're on "Obamacare" and that Congress would do away with it. Hell, states themselves have gone to lengths to shy away from referring to the ACA or Obamacare when implementing exchanges (see: Kentucky's "KYnect" system).

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Yes I do believe they are willing to collapse the entire healthcare system. Some of them will because they're idiots who just want to stick it to Obama and damn the costs. Some of them want the world to burn. And some of them are so deep down the self-enrichment hole that they plan to profit as the American people are bled dry as healthcare costs become truly, mindbogglingly crippling but people still pay in order to not die.

And they will blame Obama and the Democrats for the collapse. The MSM will eat it up, the Dems will fail to respond, and the pub voter drones will vote R no matter what. They will pay no political cost for it.

sig.gif
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

Is he aware repealing the pre-existing condition clause will likely make him lose his insurance?

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    D-d-dubble post.

The guy sitting in the office on the other side of the wall to my left is a Republican who listens to Limbaugh and all the right-wing radio he can consume. He believes anything the radio tells him (seriously Limbaugh, at some point, described "net neutrality" as the EXACT opposite of what it was, and he got so fucking confused and angry when I explained that to him). He and his wife had another kid in July. Kid's got crazy heart problems, and has been through surgeries and all sorts of meds, and has had to be rushed to the hospital quite a few times because his heart will just randomly beat out-of-rhythm or he'll turn blue or <other horrible thing>. This guy can't afford the insurance for his whole family (self+spouse+5 kids [1 with a heart problem, and 1 on "the spectrum"]) so it's subsidized (somehow) by Medicaid/Obamacare.

He hasn't put together that he's about to be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. I'm genuinely scared for 1- his kid, 2- our ability as a VERY small company to afford insurance with even 1 individual whose dependents have those kind of issues (let alone issues I've got, plus issues one of our other programmer has). On the other hand, I know at least 4 of the 7 people in this office voted for Trump (this guy being one of 'em) and I just want to scream at them "this will be YOUR fault! You guys CHOSE this! You voted for people who have been screaming that they want this for 7 years! Good. Fucking. Luck, guys."

It's so fucking FRUSTRATING, and that's not even really considering issues *I* may end up dealing with due to Congress's fuckmuppetry.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

Is he aware repealing the pre-existing condition clause will likely make him lose his insurance?

Yup, pretty sure.

I'm worried for him. Amongst others. And so many of you guys.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    D-d-dubble post.

The guy sitting in the office on the other side of the wall to my left is a Republican who listens to Limbaugh and all the right-wing radio he can consume. He believes anything the radio tells him (seriously Limbaugh, at some point, described "net neutrality" as the EXACT opposite of what it was, and he got so fucking confused and angry when I explained that to him). He and his wife had another kid in July. Kid's got crazy heart problems, and has been through surgeries and all sorts of meds, and has had to be rushed to the hospital quite a few times because his heart will just randomly beat out-of-rhythm or he'll turn blue or <other horrible thing>. This guy can't afford the insurance for his whole family (self+spouse+5 kids [1 with a heart problem, and 1 on "the spectrum"]) so it's subsidized (somehow) by Medicaid/Obamacare.

He hasn't put together that he's about to be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. I'm genuinely scared for 1- his kid, 2- our ability as a VERY small company to afford insurance with even 1 individual whose dependents have those kind of issues (let alone issues I've got, plus issues one of our other programmer has). On the other hand, I know at least 4 of the 7 people in this office voted for Trump (this guy being one of 'em) and I just want to scream at them "this will be YOUR fault! You guys CHOSE this! You voted for people who have been screaming that they want this for 7 years! Good. Fucking. Luck, guys."

It's so fucking FRUSTRATING, and that's not even really considering issues *I* may end up dealing with due to Congress's fuckmuppetry.

You should just walk up to him and ask how he's planning on getting coverage for his kid with the heart issues once denial for pre-existing conditions is a thing again. Post video.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

Really depends on how far the roll back goes. After Clinton pre-exiting conditions couldn't be used against you so long as you had continuous insurance. So my friend who had cancer when he was 15? Yeah, has never let his insurance lapse because he'd never get not ludicrously costed insurance again. So long as he maintained coverage he was fine and just part of the general risk pool.

So now the question is: how crazy is the GOP?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

Really depends on how far the roll back goes. After Clinton pre-exiting conditions couldn't be used against you so long as you had continuous insurance. So my friend who had cancer when he was 15? Yeah, has never let his insurance lapse because he'd never get not ludicrously costed insurance again. So long as he maintained coverage he was fine and just part of the general risk pool.

Of course its likely other fun pre ACA policies will come back too like lifetime caps

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

Of course its likely other fun pre ACA policies will come back too like lifetime caps

Yea, that and loss of max out of pocket are the most realistic "FUCK YOU" to those who have insurance through work. Obvious exchange and expanded Medicaid are on the block but won't impact most* Americans.

*Not actually sure of the % on that actually.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I don't know if the videos will work. There was a Trump voter at work who has two seriously disabled kids. She's a single mom who needs government assistance to keep them alive. We sent her the video of Trump making fun of the disabled reporter. She watched it. And still she insisted afterward that Trump never mocked the disabled. Same with any facts about Medicaid and the ACA and how she needs government assistance and that'll all go away for her - she just kept insisting that OBAMACARE was going to take away her money and ending that would mean more money to support her kids, somehow.

I feel bad for those kids because they are going to die soon. I have no room in my heart left though to sympathize for geese. Her kids don't deserve to suffer, but she will have thoroughly earned her pain.

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

They elected DONALD TRUMP

there is no bottom lets stop pretending there is

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    To some people I've met:

Obamacare is the individual or emplpyer mandate with penalty, and any time someone lost a particular plan they had in the past.

The ACA is "another" bill passed later to make some of the Obamacare stuff not wreck the country.

Needless to say I've run into some very uninformed people.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    They are informed, just not properly. That's the issue with any news stuff in America. People are informed, they were just informed with lies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Yeah all of our employees either live in Tennessee or Georgia and none of them have understood that the reason some of them can't afford plans on the exchanges is because their governors refused to expand Medicaid, and that they were never intended to have to get their insurance off of the exchanges.

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

When I say GOP I don't mean the folks who vote for Republicans, I mean the party apparatus. They're the dog that caught the car but is smart enough to understand at some point a reckoning will come if they actually crash the car. (To mix the hell out of some metaphors.)

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

When I say GOP I don't mean the folks who vote for Republicans, I mean the party apparatus. They're the dog that caught the car but is smart enough to understand at some point a reckoning will come if they actually crash the car. (To mix the hell out of some metaphors.)

the party apparatus that supported Donald Trump

again don't take common sense for granted. It's irrelevant in modern American Politics

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Yeah all of our employees either live in Tennessee or Georgia and none of them have understood that the reason some of them can't afford plans on the exchanges is because their governors refused to expand Medicaid, and that they were never intended to have to get their insurance off of the exchanges.

It's disgusting how much the GOP has sabotaged the ACA and then convinced people it was flawed.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Jackie Chan dot jpeg.

Very few Republicans are smart enough to see that. If they could, they'd be blue dog Democrats. Republicans are more like a crazy cult right now, still coasting off the reputation of the party from 20 years ago.

I don't want to be the chicken little here but telling ourselves "they couldn't possibly be this dumb" is exactly how we ended up with a President Trump

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It's disgusting how much the GOP has sabotaged the ACA and then convinced people it was flawed.

We were promised that they couldn't and that the public would come to the rescue once it was fully implemented. In that way, it was flawed. We were never sold that it could be sabotaged and that it would be someone's fault if it didn't work.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

We were promised that they couldn't and that the public would come to the rescue once it was fully implemented. In that way, it was flawed. We were never sold that it could be sabotaged and that it would be someone's fault if it didn't work.

Which is why I always thought the republican 'repeal' would just be changing the name and fixing the deliberate mistakes that they put in to make it work worse. Job done. Hooray? Pass the delayed repeal of obamacare day 1, allow obamacare a few more years to struggle under the artifial problems. Then fix the problems in january 2020, costs go down right in time for the election.

Now instead it seems they are just going to destroy healthcare for everyone, even themselves?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

This is why I never liked the idea of Democrats adopting the term Obamacare and not admonishing it's every use.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    tbloxham wrote: »

Which is why I always thought the republican 'repeal' would just be changing the name and fixing the deliberate mistakes that they put in to make it work worse. Job done. Hooray? Pass the delayed repeal of obamacare day 1, allow obamacare a few more years to struggle under the artifial problems. Then fix the problems in january 2020, costs go down right in time for the election.

Now instead it seems they are just going to destroy healthcare for everyone, even themselves?

They still might. Remove the ACA, and "replace" it with a bunch of individual healthcare reforms that are basically the same thing, perhaps with some additional spending on subsidies for insurance companies in lieu of a mandate. They'll also get rid of the marketplace obviously.

Javen on
    Javen wrote: »

They still might. Remove the ACA, and "replace" it with a bunch of individual healthcare reforms that are basically the same thing, perhaps with some additional spending on subsidies for insurance companies in lieu of a mandate. They'll also get rid of the marketplace obviously.

Some additional spending in lieu of a mandate? Theyd need to spend tens billions, if not hundreds of billions of dollars.

I'm in an interesting spot. My peers are usually one of the groups that oppose the ACA as our industry has had good benefits as standard. People here at work who aren't grossly misinformed often oppose it because they are tired of paying for other people's stuff.

But that's where I differ due to my wife's position at a local hospital. She works in a cancer center and has a lot of experience with billing insurance companies and she also has insight to ways hospitals shift money and charges around.

To go back to pre-ACA would be a nightmare where insurance and drug companies hold all the power over hospitals and patients. I refuse to believe people actually preferred it that way.

Some additional spending in lieu of a mandate? Theyd need to spend tens billions, if not hundreds of billions of dollars.

Not if they get rid of the marketplace so the number of uninsured goes way up to pre-ACA levels, which is what conservative constituencies are often in favor of. They don't give a shit of the percentage of uninsured americans, as long as their premiums don't go up.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It's sooo ridiculous, because what this does is reduce labor competition and salary at a lower level. It hurts the poor, because people's insurance will be tied to their jobs more than they are right now.

At the white collar level, we are fine. My company will give me subsidized insurance, and any company I go to will give me subsidized insurance. The uneducated poor people are going to be the worst off, their companies will continue to offer insurance, but the price is going to go up because they don't need to pay for part of it.

Not if they get rid of the marketplace so the number of uninsured goes way up to pre-ACA levels, which is what conservative constituencies are often in favor of. They don't give a shit of the percentage of uninsured americans, as long as their premiums don't go up.

But if they don't get rid of the pre-existing conditions clauses and do get rid of the mandate then premiums will probably double.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

The only 'problem' with it is that it's paid for by taxing rich people. Once that part's taken out, they won't give a shit. Can't pay for all the rest of it anymore? Well, that's the Democrat's fault. Go fuck yourselves, everybody.

Party of fiscal conservatism.

ztrEPtD.gif
    navgoose wrote: »
    I refuse to believe people actually preferred it that way.

They didn't. They have just been cynically misinformed about the ACA by the Republicans, and there's also a touch of people being plain idiots and thinking "It's not exactly what we wanted, so let's take it down and start again" like you might do with a poorly fitted shelf. The "idiots" bit comes in because they believe the Republicans secretly have a better idea, rather than just wanting to get rid of it and replace it with nothing.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular

I worked at a hospital in Tennessee, one of the only trauma hospitals in fact... we came up $200 million short for our budget in 2014 because of this nonsense. You want to see dire times in healthcare, watch half your coworkers vanish in a week due to "poor performance*" . This is going to impact things in ways people wont understand until the next years budget. Watching a major university level 1 trauma center dump a bunch of staff and then run everyone ragged with forced call and overtime was miserable.

*performance on actually poor, you can just be let go for any reason

But if they don't get rid of the pre-existing conditions clauses and do get rid of the mandate then premiums will probably double.

Yeah, probably. But premiums were also skyrocketing before the ACA, and conservatives didn't really have a problem with it because apparently 'businesses gotta make money' is a salve that can be applied to excuse any perception of impropriety. We'll likely see a return to that.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So - why do Republicans want to repeal the ACA?

Publicly they are saying its because they think the law is bad - but that can't be the real reason, right? And I am really asking, cause I don't understand.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Publicly they are saying its because they think the law is bad - but that can't be the real reason, right? And I am really asking, cause I don't understand.

Because the other team did it and therefore it's bad and must be undone

Oh brilliant

Rich Republicans - because they don't like paying for it.

Poor Republicans - Some because they hate government and want to spit in its eye even if they end up killing themselves, some because they have bought into propaganda that the Republicans will replace it with something better.

The most accurate and correct answer is 'you'll never truly know unless you can ask them yourself' and the public answers they've given have varied widely over the years; the only consistent notion has been 'obama is bad, thus his ideas are also bad, and the republican party is against bad ideas from bad people'

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Republicans want to repeal the ACA because they've been calling it a failure for 7 years and their base expects them to do it because they promised to and made it a big plank of their platform.

I honestly doubt that many of them have any real objection to the law itself. Outside of a provision here or there that does something that makes their donors unhappy.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Also, a functioning Healthcare Reform bill that improved Healthcare over status quo would be a huge draw for Democrats as a whole in future elections. They missed chance to help with ACA so are left trying to kill it and proclaim it was terrible.

This discussion has been closed.