Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Which Arduino board to use?

YallYall Registered User regular
So long story short, my buddy wants me to build him some prototype that uses an Arduino board and a temperature sensor to control a heating element. Basically, a thermostat. He'd like *some* interface (text, maybe an app/BT connection) to set the desired temperature. If the sensor reads above, switch off. If it reads below, switch on. Easy enough.

This would be my first crack at an Arduino project. I have a BS in CS, haven't coded in a long time, but I'm not worried about being able to shake the rust off there. Where my ignorance gets the best of me is the hardware. My buddy tends to have a short attention span, so I don't feel like dropping texa$ on his little experiment. That being said I'd like to do it just as a hobby type thing, even if his interest wanes.

So the question is this; Is there any particular Arduino board that would meet the above requirements yet still be in the $10-15 USD range?

My band: https://youtu.be/rw2ersccCsQ[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yall on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 7
    The current basic Arduino is the Uno rev 3 which is $25.

Sparkfun does their own take on the Uno, which is a bit cheaper at $20.

There is the arduino pro by sparkfun for $15, but you would have to get your own FTDI converter to USB to it.

The basic prototyping board to add components to is here.

There's other boards, like the mkr zero, which are all fine, but if it's your first go into Arduino I would just get the uno for yourself (or maybe the redboard, actually) and then figure out later if you want to try to make something cheaper for your friend.

Arduino programming is designed to abstract as much as possible, so picking it up is pretty easy.

zerzhul on
    vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    Yall
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The current basic Arduino is the Uno rev 3 which is $25.

Sparkfun does their own take on the Uno, which is a bit cheaper at $20.

There is the arduino pro by sparkfun for $15, but you would have to get your own FTDI converter to USB to it.

The basic prototyping board to add components to is here.

There's other boards, like the mkr zero, which are all fine, but if it's your first go into Arduino I would just get the uno for yourself (or maybe the redboard, actually) and then figure out later if you want to try to make something cheaper for your friend.

Arduino programming is designed to abstract as much as possible, so picking it up is pretty easy.

Thanks! I ended up getting the starter kit and a lilypad temp sensor.

My band: https://youtu.be/rw2ersccCsQ[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]