As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited January 2017 in Games and Technology
VKtlWJq.png
March 3rd, 2017

dIL7nNd.png
The Switch is Nintendo's 7th home console 5th handheld newest hardware. After the Wii U's struggles over the past four years, especially with advertising and PR, this is Nintendo's attempt to get people back on board and right the ship.

As the name implies, it is a hybrid console, capable of switching between standard TV play and on-the-go gaming. The console itself is actually just a thin, tablet-esque bit of hardware that's very roughly the same size as a Wii U gamepad. But don't be confused: whereas the gamepad was just a machine that streamed from the Wii U itself, the Switch is a fully independent machine. It has a capacitive touch screen, two slots on the side for controller attachments, Wi Fi, and uses a USB-C cable to charge. Due to its nature, it'll use cartridges to play games. There are three main ways to play:

0SgPsNn.png
TV Mode
This the traditional couch playing mode. The Switch comes with a dock that uses an HDMI cable to broadcast the Switch to your TV. This is where the Switch acts most like a regular home console, and there's not much else to say. You can play using the game's controller (Joycons) separated or together if you have a charging grip (Sold Separately), or you can opt for something more typical like the pro controller (Also Sold Separately).

lwj0MDJ.jpg
Handheld Mode
The mobile mode, this is just taking the Switch out of the dock and playing on it. The Joycons slide on to each half of the console, giving you a more handheld experience. Battery life will vary based on the game and what you are doing, with estimates being a broad 2-6 hours. Breath of Wild was used as a benchmark, going three hours on a single charge. Switches can also connect to up to seven additional Switches for local multiplayer purposes.

oCSjfHq.jpg
Tabletop Mode
Tabletop mode is basically handheld, but the Switch has a little kickstand that lets you prop it up. Each half of a joycon can operate as its own independent controller, so you can use this mode to play games with another person. The Joycons also have an attachment called a grip that slides in and gives you L/R button functionality (Actually Not Sold Separately). I have no idea what how many players this mode supports, but I imagine it's not all that many given how hard it'd be to squeeze that many people around it. And like Handheld mode, you can of course connect and play with other Switches.

Oh, and the Switch won't be region locked. Prepare to import.

pKdbuRi.png
The Switch will launch in Japan, North America, and Europe on March 3rd. In the US it'll retail for $299.99, and it comes with the following:
  • Switch Console
  • TV Dock
  • Left and Right Joycons
  • Joycon Wrist Straps
  • Joycon Grip
  • HDMI Cable
  • AC Adapter
You have the option to buy a Switch with black Joycons or Red/Blue Joycons. CHOICES!

Need more crap? Accessories are available if you got cash to burn.
qY2lGed.jpg
MSRP: $69.99
Want a more traditional controller? That'll be seventy bucks, pal.

2lSUmW0.jpg
MSRP: $79.99
Additional Joycons can be purchased for a hefty fee. They also come in red, blue, and red/blue.

pmemXGu.jpgE7hNz9V.jpg
MSRP: $49.99
Lose just ONE Joycon? Nintendo has got you covered, although they will charge you an extra ten dollars more than what they cost bundled together. Because business.

22W0iUI.jpg
MSRP: $29.99
That pro controller sure was pricey, wasn't it? Well, for less than half the cost, you can just slap your joycons in this thing and get a similar experience. And also pretend it's a weird dog, I guess.

HUpSshu.jpg
MSRP: $14.99
Because you really want a wheel icon next to your name in Mario Kart.

Z9IINT0.jpg
MSRP: $89.99
Just hook up your existing dock to the guest room TV, you lazy bastard.

z8rzxC7.png
The Switch will probably be Nintendo's biggest step forward regarding online play since it actually added online services to its hardware. It seems like Nintendo is finally learning from its contemporaries, having all online stuff managed from your Nintendo account. Sadly, Nintendo is also learning from its contemporaries in that they're going to charge us just to play online. The service doesn't launch until Fall 2017, but people can play online for free during a "trial" period starting in March and ending whenever they get the service running. Check out the chart to see what a subscription gets you versus being a plebeian who thinks online play should be a basic free service.
j0FrKuw.png
The monthly game downloads may have caught your eye. Word on the grapevine is that the games will be free NES or SNES games, and get this: the SNES titles are rumored to have online play.

HgpHq3s.png
The Switch will have games, making it a true revolution in the industry. Launch titles are games coming out March 3rd with the system. Launch window is kind of a bullshit PR term for stuff failing to make launching but coming out soon afterwards, we promise! I'll define it as within a month or soafter March 3rd. Everything else either is coming out after the launch window or has no date yet. One last thing, in case you missed it: the Switch is not region locked. All dates are NA, although I'll try to add launch titles for EU and AU if they deviate greatly. If any noteworthy regional exclusives are announced, I'll make a separate section for them.

Launch Titles
1-2-Switch (Nintendo)
ARMS (Nintendo)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)

Launch Window
Super Bomberman R (Konami) - March 2017
Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (Square Enix) - April
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - April 28th
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (Bethesda) - TBA
Just Dance 2017 (Ubisoft) - TBA
Rayman Legends Definitive Edition (Ubisoft) - TBA
Puyo Puyo Tetris (SEGA) - TBA

And the Rest
Disgaea 5 (NIS America) - Spring 2017
Dragon Quest X (Square Enix) - TBA
Dragon Quest XI (Square Enix) - TBA
Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo) - Holiday 2017
Project: Octopath Traverl (Square Enix) - TBA
Shin Megami Tensei (Atlus) - TBA
Sonic Mania (SEGA) - Spring 2017
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) - July 2017
Steep (Ubisoft) - TBA
Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) - Holiday 2017
Ultra Street Fighter II (Capcom) - TBA
Untitled Suda51 Game - TBA
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - TBA 2017

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tick. Tock. 3:45 to go.

Anticipation building.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was actually about to suggest a new thread @Bobkins Flymo. Great minds do think alike.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ah that new thread smell. All aboard the hype train.

I will be refreshing websites while its on/as soon as they announce a price trying to get a preorder in somewhere.

(She/Her)
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I'm going to stream it on my Xbox One, because irony.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    for those that might not have seen it in the old thread i'll put it here too...

for those looking to kill time and get hyped before the big show tonight, AGDQ are in the midst of a Nintendo block right now. just setting up for a 4 person Link to the Past Any% race, followed by Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door*.

*this run will not be finished before the Switch presentation starts, keep an eye on the time if you do watch it.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Last minute predictions?

Last minute predictions!

Grand Theft Yoshi - GTA inspired Mario game by Rockstar!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Last minute predictions?

Last minute predictions!

Rocksteady have been secretly working on a Thundercats game in the vein of the Batman: Arkham series. will be Switch exclusive.
    just kidding!
    its actually a Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors game!

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I predict a new wrist-based SKU sometime in the next year in partnership with a swiss company
    Nintendo Swatch

sig.gif
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    If the Beyond Good and Evil 2 rumor is true then I am sold.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Last minute predictions?

Last minute predictions!

Nintendo announces they were doomed all along and are to be purchased by Microsoft

Switch is actually just a mobile Xbox. The original Xbox. Analysts are finally proven correct after a decade.

YL9WnCY.png
    If the Beyond Good and Evil 2 rumor is true then I am sold.

played the first on the GC way back, then again when it hit XBLA. still love it, still looking forward to the sequel. i'll buy it as many times as it takes to stop if from going away again.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Last minute predictions?

Last minute predictions!

Nintendo announces they were doomed all along and are to be purchased by Microsoft

Switch is actually just a mobile Xbox. The original Xbox. Analysts are finally proven correct after a decade.

Alternatively, Microsoft finally decides to sell off the XBox division and Nintendo turns out to be the buyer.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Serious prediction:

The Switch is a console now, it's a handheld now!

See it makes sense to pack in Splatoon!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Serious prediction:

Kid more only when docked, Squid mode only when portable!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wii U gamepad compatible with Switch to play old Wii U games

YL9WnCY.png
    serious this time. if we do get GC VC then i'm hoping we'll see the Rogue Squadron games one there. and of course that Nintendo update their policies on VC purchases.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Are we doing anything like Discord chat for this?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Rooftop millennial locator for those who have a hard time getting local play sessions going.

NNID: Rehab0
    Rehab wrote: »
    Rooftop millennial locator for those who have a hard time getting local play sessions going.

W're drinking Rehab! We're having conversations!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I want a new Metroid and F-zero game, and I'd be happy with a Pilotwings game.

Bring out the full nostalgia goggles, Nintendo.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Wii U gamepad compatible with Switch to play old Wii U games

In all seriousness, I hope this happens. I love BC, and even though many decried it, Nintendo was the only company to allow full BC with both physical and digital games from the previous generation. I hope they have allowed for Wii U BC by making the game pad connectable.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Athenor wrote: »

there's nothing that i know off but i'd jump on for now if anyone did set something up. do we have a G&T Discord server?

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Serious prediction:

Kid more only when docked, Squid mode only when portable!

God could you imagine having to have the dock in front of you to be a Squid now, then having to undock to be a Kid now.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA

I'd be drinking and staying up myself but I work super early.

So chances are I'll be catching up during my lunch break perhaps.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    *sniff sniff*

Love that new thread smell

edited January 2017

it was a reference to this. :( knew it was a risky one, but ah well you can't win them all.

Wraith260 on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Be yourself

Try to have a good time

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Two more hours.
    Two. Two more hours.
    Tow more hours....HURRAAY!

You guys like my little song?

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited January 2017
    Two more hours.
    Two. Two more hours.
    Tow more hours....HURRAAY!

You guys like my little song?

not feeling it to be honest. maybe try it again in about an hour. :P

Wraith260 on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Two? I thought it starts at 11PM est...

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png

it was a reference to this. :( knew it was a risky one, but ah well you can't win them all.

Not getting that is on me. I typically hear about the hot new memes at about the same speed that Netflix gets new movies.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Athenor wrote: »

there's nothing that i know off but i'd jump on for now if anyone did set something up. do we have a G&T Discord server?

Just the vent server I believe.

I've set up one we can use for this, I find Discord less hassle and people can jump in on browsers if they're at work if they want this way.

Kelor on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm wearing my hype, but I also brought my disapointment to Switch to if needed.

Show me Monster Hunter, Xenoblade, Bayonetta 3, amd something Suda51.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited January 2017
    I'm wearing my hype, but I also brought my disapointment to Switch to if needed.

Show me Monster Hunter, Xenoblade, Bayonetta 3, amd something Suda51.

Yea, you might as well be ready to be disappointed. Xenoblade sequel is probably years off still, Monster Hunter announcement will probably come later, Bayo 3 and Suda games are pipe dreams.

They are as likely to happen as my Mother Trilogy I want so badly.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    A port of Let It Die would be the most likely of any of those I think.

edited January 2017
    There's... a chance for Scalebound, right? Nintendo has rescued Platinum games before...

(Edit: I'm not serious, but man would it be cool)

Athenor on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I just hope the reveal isn't all: Here's full price ports of the games you already bought and played on the WiiU! $400!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.