As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Women's March on Washington] 100% peaceful march, millions participated, history made

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    mRahmani wrote: »
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Lol so minor drama that happened today is I posted the pics on FB knowing my dad (who lives near DC, but who didn't know I was doing this, cause he likes Trump) would see them eventually but being like totes over it (the Muslim girl hiding important things from her parents), I didn't care if he did

So he calls me and I decline cause I'm on the p o o p e r and then immediately after my sister calls me like TAKE THOSE DOWN ARE YOU CRAZY? WHY ARE YOUR PRIVACY SETTINGS SO OPEN?? THE WHOLE FAMILY SAW"

My sis is she of the #letgarydebate pre-election so I just rolled my eyes and hung up then called my dad back who tried to make it seem like his objection was just to the bad word in the sign, and said "well if you had PhD in political science" (bc in order to express myself politically I better have a DOCTORATE apparently) and other bs I was not putting up with (like telling me to go discuss with beasto like it was his job to rein me in), so he just hung up as well

I am sure all my super religious, super rich Muslim family members from MD are appalled with my female dissolution and urgently reported the need for him to check my bad behavior but I'm like you dumb patriarchal motherfuckers, i am a 26 year old woman, and the whole POINT is to be A VISIBLE BITCH

(That would make a great sign too omg)

#persianproblems

I was iffy about putting up pics on Facebook cause I didn't want to hear an earful about "supporting the gays" from my dad. I finally decided fuck it, if I'm too chicken to have that discussion then my protest is worthless anyway.

He hasn't elected to say anything so yay!

Edit: regarding intersectionality

The crowd here in MI wasn't representative (definitely majority white women) but it was still diverse. I saw black, Muslim, Asian, and Hispanic men and women out there, even if not in numbers that would be truly a 1:1 ratio of the population. Gretchen Whitmer, the D gubernatorial candidate, specifically called out the importance of intersectionality in her speech, and the headlining speakers after her opening were a Pakistani Muslim woman and a black woman, both of whom received roaring applause from the crowd.

So yeah, we can always improve but this was pretty damned good.

I'm so glad there is another Persian here who understands the parental struggle

Listen Hakkes everybody knows agar doctora nadaree your dissenting opinion is completely invalid.

And if you do get a PHD it's invalid because bozorgtara behtar meedoonan

/bachelors degree
    /underachiever

Edit: Since I'm wildly off topic anyway Hakkekage how do I pronounce your username, I've been trying to figure this out for like a year now

Hah-keh-kah-geh (hard 'g')

as i have explained to many who met up with me this weekend

I was a lame 12 year old weeb god dammit

and now you are a badass 26 year old weeb <3

My next sign:

SEAN SPICER:
    ANIME IS REAL? Y/N

DON'T BE SO COLD

DIPPIN' DOTS ARE GOLD

PERIOD.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Can I count going to Hamilton in Chicago as my part of the protest that day? They're really awesome seats, too.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Veevee wrote: »

Can I count going to Hamilton in Chicago as my part of the protest that day? They're really awesome seats, too.

better the seats the stronger the protest i say. :wink:

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    I also have to say I'm incredibly thankful that so many people were reasonable on Saturday and didn't damage property, injure others, etc.

It really sets this movement up well for this march to be a "warning shot." Start with the massive, peaceful protest telling everyone "Don't fuck this up." Then, once they start to fuck things up, you fire another shot (April 15th), and get a bit more intense this time.

Have to protest before you can dump tea in the harbor, have to dump tea in the harbor before you can escalate further.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I feel like this was kind of the theme of the weekend

5883c9671200002d00ad8eee.jpeg

More pics here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/best-womens-march-signs_us_5884d8ece4b096b4a232626a

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    58851a1b2900002800dd10cb.jpegThat's adorbs

Orca on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Sign idea:

Hillary Clinton, 45th president of the USA!

#alternativefacts

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Tax Return or BURN!

Just spit balling.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    You know, one thing I got from this March is how to really take on Trump. You can't argue with him on facts or policy or ideology, because he acknowledges none of these things and no one willing to support him gives half a shit about them anyway.

You beat Trump by utterly humiliating him. You don't debate him; you roast him. You don't counter him; you get the audience laughing at him. He's not an opponent. He's a heckler.

Ive been thinking a ton about who we should run against him in 2020, and I think I've got my pick. Reliably progressive, absolutely qualified, and perfectly skilled for that campaign.

Al Franken.

I called his office today and left a message to consider running for president. Said no need to make a decision now as I know he's very, very busy trying to hold back the flood of awfulness and there's time to think on it later.

In the meantime, recommended that he and his office be as loud as possible about being in the opposition to the terrible people and policies. And this point I think we should call every friendly rep and senator to emphasize - fight as hard as possible and be LOUD about it. Even if they are not successful, they will very clearly show where they stand.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular

I think if there's a protest on April 15th and you're at a performance of Hamilton, I'd bet 20 bucks on the cast outright acknowledging it before the show and stating their support. After the cast spoke out while Pence was there, I don't think they'd have a problem using their show to promote these values.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Priest wrote: »

I think if there's a protest on April 15th and you're at a performance of Hamilton, I'd bet 20 bucks on the cast outright acknowledging it before the show and stating their support. After the cast spoke out while Pence was there, I don't think they'd have a problem using their show to promote these values.

Seems like a good excuse to do the show out in the street to me.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I'm not sure if the travelling show does it, but the original production had public cast performances as part of HamForHam.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The History Wirkshop would like to hear your stories of the march so they can preserve them for future generations

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Spotted on Facebook, I have not vetted this personally but it seems like a cool idea

16114608_1247167968698017_3897476474486577103_n.jpg?oh=1a4d99af951260f4fa4982054d348fd5&oe=59066A95

• Options
    edited January 2017

I'm selfishly hoping this gets Wayne Brady to extend his run as Burr by one more week. It won't, but a man can dream, can't he?
    Dreams of the dreamiest Brady in the country

Edit: Hedgie, this isn't the traveling show, this is the first permanent performance Lin-Manuel set up outside of New York.

Veevee on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Spotted on Facebook, I have not vetted this personally but it seems like a cool idea

16114608_1247167968698017_3897476474486577103_n.jpg?oh=1a4d99af951260f4fa4982054d348fd5&oe=59066A95

Nice. I ordered SmartTrip's like 2 weeks ahead of time, but in its infinite wisdom, they didn't ship them until the Monday before the March. With 5 day shipping.

So yeah now I have these extra SmartTrips....

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    gotta save 'em for the next one

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    58850c481200003e0aad9117.jpeg

• Options
    I'm cross posting this from the Trump Administration thread because it seems relevant. Trump signed three Executive Orders today. One of them reinstates a ban on funds to organisations in developing countries that facilitate or give advice on abortion.

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    gotta save 'em for the next one

we have FOUR of these cards now!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm cross posting this from the Trump Administration thread because it seems relevant. Trump signed three Executive Orders today. One of them reinstates a ban on funds to organisations in developing countries that facilitate or give advice on abortion.

Accompanying crosspost: Way to completely validate and justify the Women's March

• Options
    edited January 2017

I knew it was coming because it was mentioned over the weekend but of course

This is why we need to come out, and keep coming out

Oh and by the way, if anyone hasn't yet seen Suffragette with Carey Mulligan, please do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffragette_(film)

It isn't the best film ever, but if you are not enraged and infuriated by the brutality by which men in power and men standing idly by have sunk and will sink to batter, abuse, and silence women enough to make it your mission that these fucksticks never control your access to political power again, then get. out. of. my. way.

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    a nu start wrote: »
    Man, r/The_Donald seems to really hate this marching stuff.

Good.
    The right wing hates it. Especially the far right /pol/ and /r/ types but also the less radical conservatives and reactionaries everywhere else. "Stop whining" is the ubiquitous refrain. Maybe this is my bias talking, but their reactions seems sorta desperate; they really want to get the women-led protests and anti-Trump movement in general to shut up and sit down.

edit - and perhaps as or more important than the (predictable) sentiments the conservatives express is that even they seem compelled to acknowledge and talk about it, rather than ignore it as I'm sure they'd prefer to

ie - Remoaners

You have to desperately try and paint the people protesting the result or pointing out the issues as "whiners" because the alternative is admitting you fucked up big time and shit is going bad fast.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I think the left for whatever reason has recently been too enamored with being clever, using in-memes and climbing deeply into its own asshole to snark and giggle about how enlightened it is.

Gatherings like the women's march normalize the left and connect people as human beings. We need way more of that. Having a legitimate peaceful show of strength without anyone trying to sneak in esoteric language and sounding like a fucking political cartoon is fantastic for everyone and I hope it continues.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    There's one sorta good picture that I made during the leadup to Saturday's march because immediately after taking the photo, I dropped my phone.

And I have to link to it here because it's a panorama.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    a nu start wrote: »
    Man, r/The_Donald seems to really hate this marching stuff.

Good.
    The right wing hates it. Especially the far right /pol/ and /r/ types but also the less radical conservatives and reactionaries everywhere else. "Stop whining" is the ubiquitous refrain. Maybe this is my bias talking, but their reactions seems sorta desperate; they really want to get the women-led protests and anti-Trump movement in general to shut up and sit down.

edit - and perhaps as or more important than the (predictable) sentiments the conservatives express is that even they seem compelled to acknowledge and talk about it, rather than ignore it as I'm sure they'd prefer to

ie - Remoaners

You have to desperately try and paint the people protesting the result or pointing out the issues as "whiners" because the alternative is admitting you fucked up big time and shit is going bad fast.

There's something ironic about Teapers being against protests.

Or there would be if irony wasn't dead.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Loving all the photos of the Women's Marches from around the world. My wife really wanted to participate in our local one, but we unfortunately couldn't get out of a prior commitment.

What's very frustrating is, at least according to my Facebook feed and the response to my post of support, the seemingly inevitable comparisons and discussions screaming matches about the Women's March, the upcoming March for Life rally this Friday, and how abortion fits into all this. Shocker, abortion is still a single issue topic for many people, and talks about this Women's March, especially the backlash, seem to be focused on abortion and Roe v. Wade.

The story about the prolife group that was harassed by other attendees has been shared a few times on my feed (mostly from rightwing sources, but it's also talked about on Vox). Is it bad that they were spit on? Yes. Should they have chosen a less inflammatory sign than "Abortion Betrays Women"? Yes. Should prolife groups been welcome and embraced by the Women's March National Committee? That's more complicated, and the Vox article goes into it.

To anyone (like me) who has conservative and prolife friends on Facebook, I guess be prepared to see a lot of the Facebook equivalent of subtweeting about the March for Life rally this week in response to the Women's March.

(Do we have a more appropriate place to continue a discussion on abortion? I have not yet been brave enough to jump into any Facebook discussions about abortion, but boy howdy does abortion seem like the one and only thing that matters to a lot of my conservative leaning family and friends. I have thoughts and really want to learn more about both sides from people with perspectives. But, maybe a civil discussion is a lost cause for certain topics.)

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    bficky wrote: »
    Loving all the photos of the Women's Marches from around the world. My wife really wanted to participate in our local one, but we unfortunately couldn't get out of a prior commitment.

What's very frustrating is, at least according to my Facebook feed and the response to my post of support, the seemingly inevitable comparisons and discussions screaming matches about the Women's March, the upcoming March for Life rally in this Friday, and how abortion fits into all this. Shocker, abortion is still a single issue topic for many people, and talks about this Women's March, especially the backlash, seem to be focused on abortion and Roe v. Wade.

The story about the prolife group that was harassed by other attendees has been shared a few times on my feed (mostly from rightwing sources, but it's also talked about on Vox). Is it bad that they were spit on? Yes. Should they have chosen a less inflammatory sign than "Abortion Betrays Women"? Yes. Should prolife groups been welcome and embraced by the Women's March National Committee? That's more complicated, and the Vox article goes into it.

To anyone (like me) who has conservative and prolife friends on Facebook, I guess be prepared to see a lot of the Facebook equivalent of subtweeting about the March for Life rally this week in response to the Women's March.

(Do we have a more appropriate place to continue a discussion on abortion? I have not yet been brave enough to jump into any Facebook discussions about abortion, but boy howdy does it seem like the one and only thing that matters to a lot of my conservative leaning family and friends. I have thoughts and really want to learn more about both sides from people with perspectives. But, maybe a civil discussion is a lost cause for certain topics.)

We had one a couple years back that managed to remain relatively civil for a good long while.

I had been intending on making a new one since before the election. If I'm being honest as something of a shit stirring action, because D&D had become like 80% movies/TV threads, sports threads, and a couple kinda circle jerky politics threads. So I figured it'd be a fun bunch of arguing to make things more lively, and then once it died down or got locked, pull out my old college ethics book and sort of make threads for idk Euthenasia or Porn or w/e seemed like a good topic we might actually see D&Ding over.

and then..."May you live in interesting times" happened, plus the holidays and crap. But if you want to make one go for it. AFAIK it's not banned and I'll contribute.

If you are just looking for a quick primer This Post was tops, IMO.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Tax day is no good, @So It Goes Harbaugh scheduled the spring game for it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh man tax day is a Saturday. Barring deployment shenanigans I am down.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh man tax day is a Saturday. Barring deployment shenanigans I am down.

I will come to DC or NYC for that, whichever ends up hosting it

• Options
    Damn, this cartoon from the Washington Post is absolutely searing

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Okay this one took me a sec. Sorry for jpeg, it was like that when I saw it.

16194979_1247185678696246_3273411409959522275_n.jpg?oh=e26a8f66f791f4d9a669426aa9e35d7a&oe=5922BAB6

• Options
    I just spent a good 45 seconds counting off syllables. Well done random man with sign.

• Options
    There might be a wrinkle to the Tax Day Protest.

Easter is the next day.

Of course that won't matter to us godless heathen libruls, but think of the children

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh good, a long weekend!

Get my march on and still have plenty of time for debauchery!

Potential Toronto Sister March, you'll have my steel by your side! (and by that I mean cell phone, despite it mostly being plastic and alloys and nevermind).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Tax day is no good, "So It Goes" Harbaugh scheduled the spring game for it.

haha ebum

this is why we have phones with big screens on them!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yup. If the next march is taking form, I'm going this time. At the very least to Chicago.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Wife is gonna be preemptive this time and shoot to take the 15th off. We're doing this if it happens.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I can't speak for Portland (and it was shitty, but at least they resigned and the new people changed the tune) , but the DC march had many minority speakers, on stages and off.

Portland's speakers were, pretty cool. They definitely empowered some more vulnerable populations to say their piece. The best was a queer latina sex worker who strait up called out all of the white women in the audience like "Where have you been all this time"? Most of the people got super awkward or angry, but some seemed to hear her. She eventually turned them around by reading quotes she solicited to her SM saying, "If you could speak to thousands of able bodied white cis women, what would say?" It was pretty good.