As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Women's March on Washington] 100% peaceful march, millions participated, history made

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    PROX wrote: »
    This just in: Jontron thinks Women's March is sexist:
    http://www.wetheunicorns.com/news/jon-tron-womens-march-twitter-sexist-jontron/#Y1gRq0xZ3JAPiPlU.97

TLDR Jon says it's sexist to think all woman are virtuous and have a good cause just because of their gender.
    Woman are not oppressed because they can go to McDonalds and buy a huge big mac.

Counterpoint: Jon seems like someone who hasn't seen any data and bases his opinion on how he "feels" woman are being treated.

Thats.... unfortunate :(
    agreed....he's said some unfortunately bad things in the last few months :(

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    http://www.wetheunicorns.com/news/jon-tron-womens-march-twitter-sexist-jontron/#Y1gRq0xZ3JAPiPlU.97

TLDR Jon says it's sexist to think all woman are virtuous and have a good cause just because of their gender.
    Woman are not oppressed because they can go to McDonalds and buy a huge big mac.

Counterpoint: Jon seems like someone who hasn't seen any data and bases his opinion on how he "feels" woman are being treated.

This kinda links up with the South Korean female gamers movement. Jontron has enough followers that this could spark a resurgence of gamer gate type thinking. Our forum is a community centered around gaming so I felt it was appropriate to discuss some things along this line. Looking for some insight into attitudes like Jon and some kind of mental venn-diagram. This also has to do with sexism as interpreted by a younger generation for whom Jon is cultural icon.

He certainly was a big deal for me in my Mid-twenties. His meme is strong and popular among younger tumblr goers.

PROX on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    "Black on black crime" is prosecuted. The perpetrators go to jail. Cops are not, do not.

It's all about accountability. That's all there is to it.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

This kinda links up with the South Korean female gamers movement. Jontron has enough followers that this could spark a resurgence of gamer gate type thinking. Our forum is a community centered around gaming so I felt it was appropriate to discuss some things along this line. Looking for some insight into attitudes like Jon and some kind of mental venn-diagram. This also has to do with sexism as interpreted by a younger generation for whom Jon is cultural icon.

He certainly was a big deal for me in my Mid-twenties. His meme is strong and popular among younger tumblr goers.

Resurgence? I don't think it ever left.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

Or more like an uptick in presence?

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

might start seeing people ranting about ethics in games journalism again :D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

might start seeing people ranting about ethics in games journalism again :D

This is a on a list of things I don't want.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I am just never going to understand the YouTube influencer culture. If jontron suddenly is shunned and disappears from this apparent public life, does that change how anyone will act in their personal lives? Is someone going to be upset that an otherwise irrelevant entertainer is not making silly videos anymore?

Conversely, if jontron is suddenly validated more than they already are, is that going to convince more people to go along with similar sentiment in their private lives?

I just don't get this D level celebrity outrage thing that seems to keep coming up. #GetOffMyLawn

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I am just never going to understand the YouTube influencer culture. If jontron suddenly is shunned and disappears from this apparent public life, does that change how anyone will act in their personal lives? Is someone going to be upset that an otherwise irrelevant entertainer is not making silly videos anymore?

Conversely, if jontron is suddenly validated more than they already are, is that going to convince more people to go along with similar sentiment in their private lives?

I just don't get this D level celebrity outrage thing that seems to keep coming up. #GetOffMyLawn

It's an age old concept called "voting with your wallet". People don't like giving their money to people/corporations with terrible views and/or practices. Views on a youtube video = money. So, they don't view his videos.

• Options

It's because there are so many of them that form their own devoted microcosms. D level internet celebs combined together are the equivalent of movie celebs total to millennials. And those millennials vote and are legally adults, therefore even though it's dumb, youtubers are big cultural influencers but at a much more granular level. Instead of 5 or 6 major celebs speaking out for a cause. You have 100 different mini celebs that are the relevant cultural figures of today.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Well I don't want to hijack the thread with anymore talk about the cultural worth of celebrity in our society except to say, Charles Barkley was right when he said (or meant to say) he shouldn't be someone's role model.

Back to marches for equality please.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    One of my action groups is naming Thursday as a self-care day. Take a break from the news, take care of yourself!

Here is a Chrome extension that might help: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/make-america-kittens-agai/klchnmggepghlcolikgaekpibclpmgcm?hl=en

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Ya know, that's good advice. Trying to keep up with the news has been like trying to drink from an overflowing sewer.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jontron is relevant outside of youtube?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Well I don't want to hijack the thread with anymore talk about the cultural worth of celebrity in our society except to say, Charles Barkley was right when he said (or meant to say) he shouldn't be someone's role model.

Back to marches for equality please.

*jesus sign*

I sometimes regret being an ex-catholic, only because it would be easier to authoritatively excoriate my R-voting Paul Ryan Worshiping Atlas Shrugged Loving Catholic in laws about what that book they put so much stock in actually instructs them to do, if I sincerely gave a crap what it said.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Well I'm sure if you saw him on the street you'd post his face on badfacialhair.com "What was this guy thinking?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

If someone's got a subscribed audience in the millions (and a larger casual one) and is using that audience to advocate for positions, push courses of actions, or whatnot, we don't get to blow them off as irrelevant because it's hip to dismiss the platform they're doing it on.

• Options
    No no that's not the reason, just, like, he's a video game/pop-culture guy why would anyone care or want his opinions on anything else?

But then again, Trump won the election.

So...

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I dunno if what people watch on youtube has a greater impact. Like does pewdie pie or Markiplier leave a greater pop culture footprint? And both of them are bigger than Jon.

Ultimately, white male gamer has bad opinions is hardly noteworthy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Real celebs didn't make a dent in thiselection so I dunno about trash celebs

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    In Portland, some of the local activist groups have been doing some decentralized resistance, blocking various intersections, picketing various offices and business around town. Police are cracking down, arresting people without charging them (there have been around 100 arrests without charges resulting from Trump protests). They show some video here of police tackling and arresting people (in full riot gear, they must sleep in that shit these days).

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/01/downtown_portland_prepares_for.html

• Options
    burbo wrote: »
    In Portland, some of the local activist groups have been doing some decentralized resistance, blocking various intersections, picketing various offices and business around town. Police are cracking down, arresting people without charging them (there have been around 100 arrests without charges resulting from Trump protests). They show some video here of police tackling and arresting people (in full riot gear, they must sleep in that shit these days).

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/01/downtown_portland_prepares_for.html

I'll be honest I don't know what this accomplishes other than upsetting your neighbors. It's not like Portland gave trump the election.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I've been trying to get educated on the best ways to resist. I'm looking for guides about the practical and logistical aspects of resistance, along with perhaps a bit of theory for how to accomplish different goals. I gather that Rules for Radicals is a pretty good start, are there any other recommendations, particularly ones that might be more current? I need to do some homework!

• Options
    No no that's not the reason, just, like, he's a video game/pop-culture guy why would anyone care or want his opinions on anything else?

Meh, there's not a rigid wall between those and never has been. If people like/respect/are entertained by someone and enjoy listening to what they have to say about something, odds are quite a few of them will continue to enjoy listening to them if they start talking about other things.

Something like that isn't going to swing election campaigns or pass legislation or whatever. Even so, a Youtuber with a bazillion users who starts going off on Standard Gamer Youtuber Rants is still going to tip a few people into political action (and often more than a few into harassment of random innocent targets but that's a whole other rant). Start lumping in fanboy factor and that probably scales up, which is why we have horrible things like people shifting their social or political views to better align with, say, Shkreli because he's zomgsuchaboss or whatever.

I mean, he's going to have less tangible impact on things overall than these forums do (likely by a significant amount since there's some hella engaged people here!), but when you've got scores of people like that each making their tiny dent in the culture it adds up.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I just never understood what appeal nerddom sees in the right. Fascism is basically schoolyard bullying turned into an ideology, being a nerd is about accepting that you are different than the majority and should make you sympathize with other different groups.

The rampant misogyny i sort of understand (if you're an extreme introvert whose only non-family exposure to women came from Bayonetta and Eroge, I could see having a warped view on women), but straight-up embracing fascism is a bridge too far for people who would've gotten picked on for their Friendship is Magic and anime avatars in school.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I just never understood what appeal nerddom sees in the right. Fascism is basically schoolyard bullying turned into an ideology, being a nerd is about accepting that you are different than the majority and should make you sympathize with other different groups.

The rampant misogyny i sort of understand (if you're an extreme introvert whose only non-family exposure to women came from Bayonetta and Eroge, I could see having a warped view on women), but straight-up embracing fascism is a bridge too far for people who would've gotten picked on for their Friendship is Magic and anime avatars in school.

"My turn to be the bully."

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I'll be honest I don't know what this accomplishes other than upsetting your neighbors. It's not like Portland gave trump the election.

I believe the strategy is to create attention to the ongoing police violence and overreach and thereby leverage the mayor. Their stated demand for these actions is the termination of the Police Chief. It's true that as long as no one cares about police violence and the ignoring people's civil rights, they probably won't get what they want. Hopefully the more this stuff gets out, and the more people experience it, the more they see that the police tactics used in this city are unacceptable.

Although, it's the same kind of thing we've been talking about here, you can criticize your allies tactics because they aren't your favorite, or you can support them and stand up for their rights. If these actions don't do anything, it's probably because a bunch of people who are sympathetically minded said "That's not the right way to do it, this can't accomplish anything", rather than saying "This situation is fucked, the mayor should do something!"

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

I'm so glad I turned out this way for whatever reason.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to get educated on the best ways to resist. I'm looking for guides about the practical and logistical aspects of resistance, along with perhaps a bit of theory for how to accomplish different goals. I gather that Rules for Radicals is a pretty good start, are there any other recommendations, particularly ones that might be more current? I need to do some homework!

There were these links that @Giggles_Funsworth posted earlier about surviving protests that could go very bad. Also this guide on resisting the Trump agenda by former Congressional staffers.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

"My turn to be the bully."

That and really simple explanations (so-called) for Why Things Aren't Going Well For Me.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

There were these links that @Giggles_Funsworth posted earlier about surviving protests that could go very bad. Also this guide on resisting the Trump agenda by former Congressional staffers.

The day of marches is handy for people who are green as grass, and I like the Indivisible Guide. I wonder how one goes about finding the groups that are the equivalent of the Progressive Tea Party. As far as I know, such a group has not yet been branded, and there are still ten thousand groups with different tactics and goals.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Who is Jontron?

Legit never heard of the guy before reading his name in this thread.

Might have heard the name in passing, but that might just be that Jontron is such a generic gamer name.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but Direct Action, by David Graeber is an ethnographic study of radical leftist activism and dives into a lot of the nitty-gritty aspects of process and such.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Who is Jontron?

Legit never heard of the guy before reading his name in this thread.

Might have heard the name in passing, but that might just be that Jontron is such a generic gamer name.

game grumps

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular

The day of marches is handy for people who are green as grass, and I like the Indivisible Guide. I wonder how one goes about finding the groups that are the equivalent of the Progressive Tea Party. As far as I know, such a group has not yet been branded, and there are still ten thousand groups with different tactics and goals.

The Tea Party exists as essentially a billionaire funded movement. The Koch's sank millions of dollars into it. It would take an Elon Musk or Bill Gates type amount of wealth to get it going on the left if we wanted a similar start.

Also, the left is a very diverse collection of legitimate greivances and causes. "Gub'ment is stupid" only works for the right in a way that can be leveraged into votes.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

The Tea Party exists as essentially a billionaire funded movement. The Koch's sank millions of dollars into it. It would take an Elon Musk or Bill Gates type amount of wealth to get it going on the left if we wanted a similar start.

Also, the left is a very diverse collection of legitimate greivances and causes. "Gub'ment is stupid" only works for the right in a way that can be leveraged into votes.

Justice For All is a pretty good rallying cry on the left.

Aside from the fact that the right isn't even consistent about "Government is stupid." Bureaucrats are sub-human while cops are to be more revered than Jesus himself.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

I don't know enough about the protest effort to comment on the tactics, but it is really disheartening to hear that guy saying "thank you for doing your jobs" to police in riot gear, regardless of circumstances