As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Women's March on Washington] 100% peaceful march, millions participated, history made

1222324252628»

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Who is Jontron?

Legit never heard of the guy before reading his name in this thread.

Might have heard the name in passing, but that might just be that Jontron is such a generic gamer name.

game grumps

Just for the record, he left Game Grumps a few years ago and does his own stuff.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I've been trying to get educated on the best ways to resist. I'm looking for guides about the practical and logistical aspects of resistance, along with perhaps a bit of theory for how to accomplish different goals. I gather that Rules for Radicals is a pretty good start, are there any other recommendations, particularly ones that might be more current? I need to do some homework!

There were these links that @Giggles_Funsworth posted earlier about surviving protests that could go very bad. Also this guide on resisting the Trump agenda by former Congressional staffers.

The day of marches is handy for people who are green as grass, and I like the Indivisible Guide. I wonder how one goes about finding the groups that are the equivalent of the Progressive Tea Party. As far as I know, such a group has not yet been branded, and there are still ten thousand groups with different tactics and goals.

The Tea Party exists as essentially a billionaire funded movement. The Koch's sank millions of dollars into it. It would take an Elon Musk or Bill Gates type amount of wealth to get it going on the left if we wanted a similar start.

Also, the left is a very diverse collection of legitimate greivances and causes. "Gub'ment is stupid" only works for the right in a way that can be leveraged into votes.

Justice For All is a pretty good rallying cry on the left.

Aside from the fact that the right isn't even consistent about "Government is stupid." Bureaucrats are sub-human while cops are to be more revered than Jesus himself.

Agreed. Just need a couple billionaires now.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    http://wgntv.com/2016/05/21/thousands-take-to-chicago-streets-for-rally-against-violence/

Stop buying right wing propaganda. Black people protest violent crime just like everyone else.

And I don't think it's ridiculous to ask that they address black on black crime. I think it's irresponsible not too. Because no group has had the voice that BLM has had the last few years and it would be a shame if they didn't use their presence to try to hit both subjects.

BLM isn't addressing "black on black crime" (a racist term used to justify systemic injustice toward black people, btw) because it's specficially about police brutality.

And you know what would probably help address black on black crime the most? Black victims being able to unquestionably trust the police.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    mRahmani wrote: »
    http://wgntv.com/2016/05/21/thousands-take-to-chicago-streets-for-rally-against-violence/

Stop buying right wing propaganda. Black people protest violent crime just like everyone else.

And I don't think it's ridiculous to ask that they address black on black crime. I think it's irresponsible not too. Because no group has had the voice that BLM has had the last few years and it would be a shame if they didn't use their presence to try to hit both subjects.

BLM isn't addressing "black on black crime" (a racist term used to justify systemic injustice toward black people, btw) because it's specficially about police brutality.

And you know what would probably help address black on black crime the most? Black victims being able to unquestionably trust the police.

Yeah, a lot of times shit just doesn't get called in because they fear that the police will just compound the harm rather than alleviate it. Especially in areas that get their money from extorting the people they're supposed to protect with false arrests, illegal warrants, impossible court dates, and fees/fines out the ass. Why would you call the police for help when there's a chance that when they get there they'll figure out a way to arrest you?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I just never understood what appeal nerddom sees in the right. Fascism is basically schoolyard bullying turned into an ideology, being a nerd is about accepting that you are different than the majority and should make you sympathize with other different groups.

The rampant misogyny i sort of understand (if you're an extreme introvert whose only non-family exposure to women came from Bayonetta and Eroge, I could see having a warped view on women), but straight-up embracing fascism is a bridge too far for people who would've gotten picked on for their Friendship is Magic and anime avatars in school.

More the point, I think, that "nerddom" is in reality such a broad, strata-cutting definition (at least today), that thinking it carries any sort of political connection (except "literacy" and "connection to technology", both of which lacking pretty much excludes you from any sort of employment, much less "nerddom") is setting yourself up for disappointment. There are poor nerds thinking of economic social justice (which poor people would think of more often than the well-off), and there are rich nerds who may jealously guard their status (like any member of the bourgeoisie). There are nerds from conservative social backgrounds upset by change, there are nerds who yearn for that change. There are absolutely nerds to whom a certain "Social Darwinism" of everyone clawing their way to the top (and being held back by mooching others) appeals to, who do you think Ayn Rand was? Some bowl-haired not nerd?

And thanks to the almost-by-definition often vague philosophy of "fascism", there are nerds whom it will appeal to. The expectation that "geeks" or "nerds" somehow consistently meet a particular standard of social consciousness or morality, in either direction, seems pretty flawed--or as I call it, the "Black Stormtrooper Thesis".

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Who is Jontron?

Might have heard the name in passing, but that might just be that Jontron is such a generic gamer name.

game grumps

Ex-member of Game Grumps (as in, was only there for the first year or so). He and co-founder Arin "Egoraptor" Hansen had some kind of falling out, and Jon has since shown himself to be kind of an ignorant dick.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Who is Jontron?

game grumps

Ex-member of Game Grumps (as in, was only there for the first year or so). He and co-founder Arin "Egoraptor" Hansen had some kind of falling out, and Jon has since shown himself to be kind of an ignorant dick.

I'm pretty ticked at jontron. Not just because I've enjoyed some of his videos in the past, but also because he's half Persian.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Here is a link to some legal defence funds if you have some spare cash and want to support the people of Standing Rock fighting the Dakota Access Pipeline.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I believe the strategy is to create attention to the ongoing police violence and overreach and thereby leverage the mayor. Their stated demand for these actions is the termination of the Police Chief. It's true that as long as no one cares about police violence and the ignoring people's civil rights, they probably won't get what they want. Hopefully the more this stuff gets out, and the more people experience it, the more they see that the police tactics used in this city are unacceptable.
    If you watch the video, it's like ten people in black hoodies and masks standing around and messing with the bus. Everyone watching cheers when the police move in and start arresting people, and near the end there's clapping.

Whatever they're doing looks both ridiculous and very counterproductive. If anything, they're making people like the police.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I believe the strategy is to create attention to the ongoing police violence and overreach and thereby leverage the mayor. Their stated demand for these actions is the termination of the Police Chief. It's true that as long as no one cares about police violence and the ignoring people's civil rights, they probably won't get what they want. Hopefully the more this stuff gets out, and the more people experience it, the more they see that the police tactics used in this city are unacceptable.
    If you watch the video, it's like ten people in black hoodies and masks standing around and messing with the bus. Everyone watching cheers when the police move in and start arresting people, and near the end there's clapping.

Whatever they're doing looks both ridiculous and very counterproductive. If anything, they're making people like the police.

Or the people around them are assholes who have no problem with police brutality.

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Protesting isn't done to make allies, and are generally always looked at unfavorably by the public not involved, its not done to placate those people

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    It's not like all the Skittish White People were just getting ready to address police reform and this scared them off.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    It's not like all the Skittish White People were just getting ready to address police reform and this scared them off.

"Dammit, Caroline! We were so close to real change this time! Damn those uppity minorities for not letting us handle this!"

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    And it's not like ten people holding up traffic, carrying no signs and chanting nothing helps the cause of police reform. The people watching don't even know why traffic is being held up!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    And it's not like ten people holding up traffic, carrying no signs and chanting nothing helps the cause of police reform. The people watching don't even know why traffic is being held up!

I don't approve of the methods personally, but the far larger number of people watching the local news will.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I don't approve of the methods personally, but the far larger number of people watching the local news will.

I approve of them, mostly because so many cities are so segregated, especially on the city v burbs split, that if they held a permitted march in their area of town or even the city proper, no one would notice and no one would report. Freeways were designed to cut off black neighborhoods and allow them to be ignored, so let them instead be a conduit for their voice.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

I'm honestly with you on this one. I'm cynical about the power of street protests, largely because of bullshit like this.

When a protest is large, or well-organized, when it mobilizes people for further action, when it is directed at the seat of power, then I'm all for it. When it's just a dozen guys yelling at people who have no direct control over the problem I just don't see the point.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I'm honestly with you on this one. I'm cynical about the power of street protests, largely because of bullshit like this.

When a protest is large, or well-organized, when it mobilizes people for further action, when it is directed at the seat of power, then I'm all for it. When it's just a dozen guys yelling at people who have no direct control over the problem I just don't see the point.

You guys are missing the entire point again. What's relevant about this video is not the protestor tactic, it's the police tactic. Full riot gear guy running and tackling a guy with seemingly no warning. If you are sympathetic to their message, why do you keep talking about the protest tactic and not the thing they are protesting, when the police provided a full exemplary display right there on (digital) film.

Don't let disagreements over tactics distract you from the real issues.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Given everything that has happened this week, should we use this thread to discuss general activism and provide info/resources, or is a separate thread needed?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Seems like we might as well use this one.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Here is a general activism thread https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/209455/resist#latest

There is also a specific thread about the Muslim ban here https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/209451/protest-the-muslim-ban#latest

Once more details are formed up I will start a thread for the March for science.

This thread can continue to be a place to talk about the women's March and follow up women's events

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

You guys are missing the entire point again. What's relevant about this video is not the protestor tactic, it's the police tactic. Full riot gear guy running and tackling a guy with seemingly no warning. If you are sympathetic to their message, why do you keep talking about the protest tactic and not the thing they are protesting, when the police provided a full exemplary display right there on (digital) film.

Don't let disagreements over tactics distract you from the real issues.

That's fair. You're right.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Reviving this thread because another Women's March on Washington is planned for January 19th, 2019.

The first march mobilized women into political action, leading to record numbers of women running for office (and winning in some places already). The full effects we won't know until after the midterm elections. The main topics aren't announced yet, but probably there will be some reflection on what the first march started and where to go from there.