As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Women's March on Washington] 100% peaceful march, millions participated, history made

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am at the metro. I have not seen this many people at my station ever. All going to the march.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    adytum wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    I want to attend but I don't have a buddy, I'm active duty and afraid of reprisals. I'm studying the rules in the OP very carefully.

Consider wearing a (non-threatening) face covering? I was in a hat + face mask all day yesterday.

Not super worried about today, though - it's a non-partisan event.

I thought face masks were illegal in DC. Cops got all over me for wearing my Bloodborne costume Halloween weekend.

I'm too gorgeous a male to wear a mask anyway.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @Cantido if you need a buddy there's a bunch of us meeting at Forever 21.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    adytum wrote: »
    I want to attend but I don't have a buddy, I'm active duty and afraid of reprisals. I'm studying the rules in the OP very carefully.

Consider wearing a (non-threatening) face covering? I was in a hat + face mask all day yesterday.

Not super worried about today, though - it's a non-partisan event.

I thought face masks were illegal in DC. Cops got all over me for wearing my Bloodborne costume Halloween weekend.

I'm too gorgeous a male to wear a mask anyway.

If I'm reading this correctly it appears to only apply under specific circumstances:
    https://beta.code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/22-3312.03.html

§ 22–3312.03. Wearing hoods or masks.

(a) No person or persons over 16 years of age, while wearing any mask, hood, or device whereby any portion of the face is hidden, concealed, or covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer, shall:
    (1) Enter upon, be, or appear upon any lane, walk, alley, street, road highway, or other public way in the District of Columbia;
    (2) Enter upon, be, or appear upon or within the public property of the District of Columbia; or
    (3) Hold any manner of meeting or demonstration.
    (b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section apply only if the person was wearing the hood, mask, or other device:
    (1) With the intent to deprive any person or class of persons of equal protection of the law or of equal privileges and immunities under the law, or for the purpose of preventing or hindering the constituted authorities of the United States or the District of Columbia from giving or securing for all persons within the District of Columbia equal protection of the law;
    (2) With the intent, by force or threat of force, to injure, intimidate, or interfere with any person because of his or her exercise of any right secured by federal or District of Columbia laws, or to intimidate any person or any class of persons from exercising any right secured by federal or District of Columbia laws;
    (3) With the intent to intimidate, threaten, abuse, or harass any other person;
    (4) With the intent to cause another person to fear for his or her personal safety, or, where it is probable that reasonable persons will be put in fear for their personal safety by the defendant’s actions, with reckless disregard for that probability; or
    (5) While engaged in conduct prohibited by civil or criminal law, with the intent of avoiding identification.

Though that's probably intentionally open enough to interpretation to fuck over protestors.

I would like to point out that scarves are not included under this law and most other anti-mask ordinances.

• Options
    Well, currently at Le Pain Quotidian. But then Forever 21.

• Options
    Orange, blue, and silver lines in DC are having issues. Aim for an alternate route if you can.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Orange, blue, and silver lines in DC are having issues. Aim for an alternate route if you can.

Trains are moving again btw.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    @Cantido if you need a buddy there's a bunch of us meeting at Forever 21.

I don't know why this seems so fitting.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    TO everyone in DC: we are on the 10th Ave side of forever 21 by st Patrick's cathedral. We are going to do one sweep of the block and then leave at 9:30. If you're here, text me.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Ok we out. Text me but can't promise response.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Police woman encouraging cheers.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    At the Greenbelt metro station. Massive, hours-long line to get on the train. It's gonna be full trains from here to Archives/Navy Memorial, I'm assuming.

• Options
    Network is getting hammered. Download a map while you can.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Best of luck and stay safe to everyone marching today! My wife is going to a local one in our small college town. Her coworker stopped by last night with his son to give her a pussy hat that his wife had made for her since they're all going.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    We're getting ready to head out to our local rally. They're saying something like 700 people have rsvp'd, and it's being held in a park that's essentially in the median of a 4 lane road.

Should be worth some good pics at least.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I don't expect the crowd in the Indianapolis march to get too impressive but I'm going

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't expect the crowd in the Indianapolis march to get too impressive but I'm going

Huh. *looks at Toronto FB page*

12k going, 11k interested.

Wow.

Pertinent to the thread, I will be going up there. If anyone in the area needs a phone charge, or would just feel better with someone at their side (not that I expect this to get violent, I mean for any reason at all, I have friends who don't like/do well in large crowds in general), toss me a PM. I'll snap some pics and see where the day takes me. The weather is quite mild, not sure how long I'll be out and about, but I'm going to be present.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    "Hands too small! Can't build a wall!"

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Headed downtown now for some pre-March breakfast. The bus, which is normally empty at this time of day, is pretty packed with woman headed to the march.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Might have to eat some crow about things said in the closed media thread.

Shocked that there's NO coverage of this on major media networks right now. We've got split screen views of Trump sitting in a church. Not a mention of what's happening outside, even in the crawl.

Even MSNBC is towing the line. Looks like no-one is willing to risk getting tossed from the press pool by Dear Leader.

Senna1 on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »

Shocked that there's NO coverage of this on major media networks right now. We've got split screen views of Trump sitting in a church. Not a mention of what's happening outside, even in the crawl.

Even MSNBC is towing the line. Looks like no-one has the stones to risk getting tossed from the press pool by Dear Leader.

Streaming live on NYT's and WP's front page.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    The march proper doesn't start for a couple more hours and the crowd is still growing.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm at the Whiele metro station, and it's slammed. The wait for trains are 1hr+. People around me are from New York, Washington State. It's amazing.

Edit: PSA: The lines are for METRO CARDS ONLY. If you already have a card, you can proceed directly to the trains.

If you have extra metro cards, BRING THEM. If I had thought of this beforehand, I'd have gotten dozens and filled them with $10-$15 to hand out. You can refill the cards online!

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
  • Options
    We're by the Hirshorn museum. I can see the Smithsonian across the mall and it is utterly packed with bodies.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    On CNN and MSNBC now.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

I did a terrible job of capturing the size of the Dublin crowd, but hopefully this gives an idea. A roaring success! With actual roaring occasionally!

The crowd got so big we had to head back to the Garden of Remembrance for the rally as there were too many of us to rally at the Spire as planned.

• Options
    Never in my life have I seen so many uterus jokes.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm Going... Assuming the bus ever shows up. Good old la transit.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »

Even MSNBC is towing the line. Looks like no-one is willing to risk getting tossed from the press pool by Dear Leader.

Yeah I'm kind of blown away that all the mainstream channels would rather sit on footage of a mass instead of actually showing what's going on in the city.
    Kudos to C-SPAN for doing so, although the mass is on like C-SPAN 2, but still.

• Options
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    There was some clust of jackass christian evangelucals with signs calling women Jezebels and saying they need to get back in the kitchen or go to hell.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    This is really incredible. Every city I've seen pictures of is packed full, such an amazing show of unity.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Chicago is packed. Cops are actually low in number, wearing regular patrol gear, which is a nice change of scene from D.C. yesterday.

I think they said 100k people? Way more than that as that's only people who signed up.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight