As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yakuza: Like a Thread

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I bought Shenmue (2?) on the xbox back in the day.

I played for about 30 minutes before I got super bored.

"Would you like to play a game of lucky hit?"

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    BathTubb wrote: »
    I have Yakuza 3, and 4 should I play those first or can I jump right into 0?
    I started with 3 back when 4 released in the US. I think there was a package deal where I was able to get both at once. Yakuza 3 was a pretty good starting point to the overarching plot. There's a big info dump in the Reminisce menu that explains all the crazy goings on of the first two games. But for the most part your main character is starting up a new life in a new place as that game begins. There's a few characters you oviously have back history with that turn up here and there but it's not hard to get the gist of it. The US release of 3 had a lot of the side activity stuff cut out that they didn't feel like translating or assumed people wouldn't be interested in. So there's a bit less of that, but that's OK if you intend to play more than 3. In 3 you play Kiryu all the the way through it's a big melodrama Yakuza story. Despite being named Yakuza in the US the series is mostly about him trying to do anything but be a Yakuza. But he keeps getting sucked back in either through feelings of obligation or trickery. What I didn't like about 3 is the random street battles. They felt kind of constant and had a slowish load in.

4 is great starting point because you play the vast majority of the game as 3 completely new characters with their own backstories. When you start playing as Kiryu it's almost like, here's the original guy to come in and clean all this shit up. But if you started with 4 I imagine he'd be fairly ill defined. It assumes you kind of know that guy. They spend all this time building up the 3 new people, they don't spend a lot of time re-explaining him. Plus there's a bunch of elements introduced in 3 that carry over into 4, and some side character arcs that actually continue from 3 into 4 and basically complete there. All the side game stuff is in there. There's more variety in the combat because each character fights different, and the random battle stuff didn't feel so terrible.

3&4 felt like companion pieces. 5 can stand fairly well on its own, but it carries over people introuced in those and it'd probably be better to have some back history on who these people are and their longer term relationships. But again most everyone is starting out in slightly different places doing different things and its major plot is a new story. And I'd say 5 was the best so far in fighting and general variety of stuff to do.

I imagine 0 requires little to no foreknowledge but probably has some winks to future events I would guess. Especially to stuff in 1&2 since they can use characters that would be gone past those. So some of those will be lost on me
    since I never played those.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Despite being named Yakuza in the US the series is mostly about him trying to do anything but be a Yakuza. But he keeps getting sucked back in either through feelings of obligation or trickery.

Japanese title is Ryū ga Gotoku which is "Like a Dragon".

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
  • Options
    Wow, what an awful thumbnail.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The biggest problem I have with the entire Yakuza series is deciding whether I like Shinada or Tanimura more

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah Yakuza is not a game series that's great at depicting women or gay characters. There was a sidequest in Yakuza 5 that culminated in me having to fight off some sumo wrestlers (maybe it was naked guys in towels actually) who were gonna "make" me gay for some producer or something that was into me. I had come to generally expect the dating stuff to be kind of tacky, but the fight the gay away sidestory was a real groaner. And some of Shinada (which that sidequest may have been his as well) stuff in 5 went even further than I expected Yakuza to go on some gross stuff.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    So, I was listeneng to the latest Jimquisition and:
    1. He's absolutrly in love with Yakuza 0, his forst time pkaying the series, and desperatly wants tje remake of 1 that's coming out later.
    2. He's fucking pissed that all of his friends never told him, with his tastes for brawlers and weird shit, that he needed to play this series in the past.

Edit: Speaking of which.
    http://www.thejimquisition.com/yakuza-0-review/

9.5/10

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    this is a really great game you guys

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I hate every one of you playing it before us peons.

• Options
    Man, even The Verge is singing Yakuza 0's praises.

Article
    "They don’t make games like this anymore"

• Options
    It's extremely interesting to me how almost all of these reviews could apply to 3, 4, or 5. I imagine that the prequel nature has caused folk to finally decide to check the series out, and I'm so happy about that.

When 5 was released, it was like a fart in the wind. The only people who gave a shit were already invested.

• Options
    Knob wrote: »
    It's extremely interesting to me how almost all of these reviews could apply to 3, 4, or 5. I imagine that the prequel nature has caused folk to finally decide to check the series out, and I'm so happy about that.

When 5 was released, it was like a fart in the wind. The only people who gave a shit were already invested.

I am really hoping that 0 is the series' Persona 4 for the west.

I.E. The game that doesn't do anything different, in a large sense, than its previous game, but somehow propels the series into the mainstream.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Crap.

I just realized Yakuza 6 isn't until 2018?

Nooooooooooooooooooo

• Options
    I'm super excited that we've got 0, the remake, and 6 coming at all.
    But I still really wish the Shinsengumi feudal era murder mystery spinoff thing was in there too.
    Maybe if 0 really does take off better than expected.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    0 feels like it's getting noticed in a way none of the rest of the series has

Whether that translates to sales remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful

• Options
    They just need to put up a trailer where all the money flies out and the subtitle says 'barf'.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    When is the kenzan remake dammit

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The main reason 5 wasn't noticed was because it was a PS3 game released 2 years after the launch of the PS4

I saw it and went "that looks great, but I put my PS3 away a long time ago and you cannot pay me to play a brand-new 50 hour open-world game with a Dualshock 3"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    It was free on PS+ a few months back, everyone should have picked it up!!!

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The main reason 5 wasn't noticed was because it was a PS3 game released 2 years after the launch of the PS4

I saw it and went "that looks great, but I put my PS3 away a long time ago and you cannot pay me to play a brand-new 50 hour open-world game with a Dualshock 3"

I'd almost agree, but 3 and 4 received nearly the same amount of attention in re: farts and wind

OH OH AND DEAD SOULS

HAHA I TOTALLY FORGOT THAT DEAD SOULS WAS A THING!!

• Options
    Thisbis also the first game in the series getting marketing.

Well... 1 got marketing of the wrong type: calling it GTA-like when they're nothing alike.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Thisbis also the first game in the series getting marketing.

Well... 1 got marketing of the wrong type: calling it GTA-like when they're nothing alike.

Yea I think this is a big thing.

My group of nerd friends all mostly just play video games.

I'm the only one of them that plays Yakuza games. Most of them also had no idea what the games were even about they had just heard the name in passing and that was the end of their knowledge.

One such friend actually came to the conclusion that it was about a pop group called the Yakuza 5 due to the random goofy snapchats I was sending out while playing 5. He wasn't even aware the series existed and gaming is his number 1 hobby.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Apparently the only change to the english version of 0 is a different intro song, which is a shame because the original theme "Bubble" is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLD74kWXUKE

I let this intro play through the whole way almost every time I loaded up the game.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    if we end up getting a PS4, Yakuza 0 is on the damn list

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Is there any talk of 2 also getting a remake?

I want to play through the series but it will be weird going from the 1 remake to the old 2 then to 3.

• Options
    Super honestly? You can skip 2. Read a synopsis and watch the cutscenes, but you can really, really skip 2.

• Options
    Yeah, that's not gonna work for me. Whenever I get into any series, I need to play/watch/read/etc all of it.

Even when I rewatch TV shows I don't skip bad filler episodes.

• Options
    You do you, but even if we see a Y2 remake it ain't gonna be until like 2020 before it hits stateside.

• Options
    PS2 version it is, then.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Project X Zone 2 is what made me interested in checking this series out, and Yakuza 0 being the next release here could not have been any more perfect.

Been playing it for a review, and I think I'm pretty much a fan now.

Also, just found out last night that Majima was voiced by Mark Hamill in the first game's western release. I feel like I just lost 12 years of my life.

At least I'm really looking forward to the remake! And here I was just hoping for HD remasters before that was announced.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The music and theme songs for Yakuza games are almost universally awesome

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The music and theme songs for Yakuza games are almost universally awesome

No kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pONkmj4trhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb5DILFgiJU

I love this series' music.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The first music that comes to mind when I think Yakuza is the Don Quixote jingle. Hmm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The first music that comes to mind when I think Yakuza is the Don Quixote jingle. Hmm.

For me it's Fly, because 3 was my first game and it remains the absolute best theme song for pretty much anything

The Don Quixote music is a close second, though, you're right

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    I wonder what new brutal Heat Actions I'll get to witness in Zero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2nzQi0X-ZU

Remember that these are 'nonlethal' :lol:

• Options
    Okay I guess this might be considered a music spoiler? And there's a line in the description that might also be considered a spoiler

But I have to share this because this has to be one of my favorite Yakuza tracks and if the whole game has this level of quality tunes? God damn

https://youtu.be/f_60AJiVEh4

God DAMN

signature-deffo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.