As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's [CHAT] about Angel of Bacon's boobies.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I should probably get my hair cut before going to any job interviews. I'm not sure exactly what I should get it cut to, however.

I'd like to think my current long hair creates a vague impression of dashing rebelliousness, but I suspect the truth is closer to it creating a distinct impression that I am a chimera of a poorly groomed man (or very ugly, bearded woman), Jesus, and a cocker spaniel.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmmm.

I think you pull off the long look pretty well if I recall. And in your line of work it doesn't really matter how your hair looks does it? I need anything I can get right now which is another reason I cut it.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Virum wrote: »
    Hmmm.

I think you pull off the long look pretty well if I recall. And in your line of work it doesn't really matter how your hair looks does it? I need anything I can get right now which is another reason I cut it.

Hell if I know, dude. I just try to play it safe and assume that everything concerning my personal appearance is hopelessly out of fashion, if not just plain wrong.

But, for the sake of comparison (also because it appears that I am a huge photowhore as of late), I will let you, the viewer at home, make the call.

Short hair from 18 months ago vs long hair from 18 minutes ago:
    haircompare.jpg

Please excuse my demeanor in the latter picture. I'm not exactly sure what I was trying to accomplish by giving my bathroom mirror odd looks.

EDIT: My prediction on the final verdict from the people:
    PUPPY! AWWWWWWWWWW!!

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    It's like you walked into your hairdresser's and said "Just give me the Ginger Jesus."

DMAC on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    That puppy looks like a spawn of the devil. Your hair, however, looks nice and jesus-y.

I'm Partial to jesus hair, If in an interview they look oddly at your hair, just declare yourself the lord, or a closely related cousin of the lord.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Iruka wrote: »
    That puppy looks like a spawn of the devil.
    YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

you're going to make him cry!
    piglet.jpg
    Your hair, however, looks nice and jesus-y.

I'm Partial to jesus hair, If in an interview they look oddly at your hair, just declare yourself the lord, or a closely related cousin of the lord.

Well, I'm glad you think it looks nice, but on the other hand I'd guess that by and large not that many women are physically attracted to the Jesus look. It certainly didn't work for Him.

"Hey baby, how about I give you a little personal sermon on 'the mount', know what I'm saying?"

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    I like how the photos side by side look like the set up for a new buddy comedy...

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I like how the photos side by side look like the set up for a new buddy comedy...

A buddy comedy starring two identical dogs?

Hell, I'd watch it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Hell, I'd watch it.
    D'oh! When did that other pic slip in? I meant the short/long hair pic!

• Options
    edited June 2007
    He looks less evil without the red-eye. :( I miss hatari.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Hell, I'd watch it.
    D'oh! When did that other pic slip in? I meant the short/long hair pic!

So you want to see a movie where some random guy and Jesus are buddy cops that solve crimes and exorcise demons? And the random guy has a hellhound for a pet, and that's the one thing that always gets on Jesus' case?

I think we've got a winner. I want to see a script on my desk by the end of next week.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sir, Yes Sir!

We'll call it something snappy like "Hell in a Hand Basket!" and the tag line could be "Heaven Help THEM"

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So yesterday was a nice productive day that ended in the emergency room at 2:00am after accidentally crushing my brother's girlfriend's finger on the car door. Thankfully, nothing broke. *phew*

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sir, Yes Sir!

We'll call it something snappy like "Hell in a Hand Basket!" and the tag line could be "Heaven Help THEM"
    So when are you writing the script? Sounds like a sleeper hit to me!

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hehe, hilarious stuff on this page :P That series sounds like a hit.

Btw, I have almost exactly the same haircut as you, AoB. Blond, though, and no beard (Hopefully that's a matter of time).

I'm thinking about having dreadlocks again. Only thing that holds me back is the fact that they're so darn high maintance. The last time I had dreads 6 of them joined forces into one big carpet on the back of my head - that's about when I had them taken out. (Miraculously I didn't have to shave my head).

I'll try 'n find some pictures...

Bonus: On the picture on my driver's license I have both dreads and different glasses, so I often get a suspicious gaze when I buy booze or get stopped by the cops.

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey everybody. I've been told to do a color cover for my comic. I've got the inks down, but I haven't started coloring yet. I own some Prismacolor pencils.. and some color Sharpie markers.. What should I use or buy? I was hoping to do something monochromatic or dichromatic (is that even a word?) kind of like what bebop does. Any suggestions?

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You had blond dreadlocks? Are you mixed? I always thought Caucasian hair didn't lock and therefore they have a lot of trouble having dreads.

Granted, I always though white people with cornrows look fucking ridiculous, so maybe the dreads thing is stemming of of that.

BOG: I would go with the prisma pencils because I like their control, I've never trusted markers. You dont have PS, huh?

Iruka on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Whitey can have dreads. It's just more difficult to get then to work.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I have PS, I just suck at it. And it's no use without a tablet anyway.

TheBog on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had dreads for two years, and it worked out fine. At first, they're really loose but after the first month or so they lock pretty well and only get better with time. I'm not really sure why I did it, but my friend talked me into letting her dread my hair, and then I started to kind of like it so I kept them till I desperately needed a job.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thats really weird to me. I just cant imaging hassling thinner hair into doing that, or wanting to. Dreads and twists and such are some of the few alternatives from afro before you start hassling with those god awful chemicals.

Iruka on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay, so I need to add dialog to a flash animation i'm in the process of making. I have a mic and everything, and I know I need...quicktime or..something...uh...

anyway, does anyone know how to add sound/dialog to a flash. I have flash MX 2004. if so, someone send a PM. 'tanks!

I'm lookin' at you, Bacon.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    Hey everybody. I've been told to do a color cover for my comic. I've got the inks down, but I haven't started coloring yet. I own some Prismacolor pencils.. and some color Sharpie markers.. What should I use or buy? I was hoping to do something monochromatic or dichromatic (is that even a word?) kind of like what bebop does. Any suggestions?

If you're dead set on doing something like Cowboy Bebop with traditional media, I would suggest printing the black lines on heavy paper and using gouache to color it in. It'll be as flat as that stylistic choice requires.

Do NOT use colored pencils.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I don't have any gouache. I'm just looking for a quick and effective way to color this thing. I'm not too good at lots of complex color schemes. I was hoping for something simple.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Whats wrong with color pencils? Prisma color can give you flat tones if you build up the color slowly and blend well. It takes a long time and its not like it will look like photoshop, but you can use them to good results. I don't think I have anything scanned in because I haven't done that in a long freaking time, I guess this would be the closest thin but the only place I truly blended was her pants.

Gouache is expensive and bitchy, but I have have a personal grudge against the stuff.

Iruka on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Grifter on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That actually made me a little sad.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't have any gouache. I'm just looking for a quick and effective way to color this thing. I'm not too good at lots of complex color schemes. I was hoping for something simple.

Well if you're going for something simple why not just use photoshop? You don't need a tablet to use the lasso and paintbucket tool.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I have to submit a headshot with my film when I enter it into the festival:

MYFACE.jpg

Is this good enough do you think?

Edit: after I paint over the trash can in the back. This is what I get for asking Dad to photograph me haha.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I take every chance I get to practice my color correction... this time on a monitor I trust... what do you guys think?

MYFACE.jpgmyfacecopyja5.jpg

EDIT:

Dammit, I'm already seeing things I don't like... the darks look too washed... more contrast, por favor!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Iruka wrote: »
    Whats wrong with color pencils? Prisma color can give you flat tones if you build up the color slowly and blend well. It takes a long time and its not like it will look like photoshop, but you can use them to good results. I don't think I have anything scanned in because I haven't done that in a long freaking time, I guess this would be the closest thin but the only place I truly blended was her pants.

Gouache is expensive and bitchy, but I have have a personal grudge against the stuff.

I have a personal grudge against colored pencils because, for what they are, they're expensive and bitchy. Also, they take FOREVER to achieve a result that could've been done way more attractively (objective, here) and in a fraction of the time with pastels. Plus, they snap like crazy when you're sharpening. I've seen some flat coloring with colored pencils, but instead of making me say "wow" they made me ask "why?" I'm just not a fan of them after a photorealism assignment we had to do with them in a class earlier in the year.

Also, if you only want to do two colors acrylic can be pretty flat, too, with a couple of coats.

I really do think you should take Grifter's suggestion and use photoshop, though.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    On my monitor the white rolloff looks like crap.

Virum on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really do think you should take Grifter's suggestion and use photoshop, though.

Grifter said no such thing!

But I agree.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Virum wrote: »
    On my monitor the white rolloff looks like crap.

Ugh! It looks different on the monitors I've looked at! Anyone know how to calibrate a monitor without buying equipment???

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    There's no way to get it accurately color corrected without equipment. This is the problem I have with color correcting my footage; it usually looks like crap on my CRT which is what i use mostly when it looks great on TVs and my Apple iMac.

Virum on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Windows and OSX have built-in color calibrating things, but they're both done manually. As in, how well it's calibrated depends on how good your eyes are.

I have my monitors pretty well-calibrated, but not perfect, so there are differences but they're not so far off that images will look like crap on one and good on another.

You could also buy one of those USB color calibrators. I think they cost like $60.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah. Of course if you have a crap monitor (like my CRT), then it's not gonna help much.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I have a personal grudge against colored pencils because, for what they are, they're expensive and bitchy. Also, they take FOREVER to achieve a result that could've been done way more attractively (objective, here) and in a fraction of the time with pastels. Plus, they snap like crazy when you're sharpening. I've seen some flat coloring with colored pencils, but instead of making me say "wow" they made me ask "why?" I'm just not a fan of them after a photorealism assignment we had to do with them in a class earlier in the year.

Also, if you only want to do two colors acrylic can be pretty flat, too, with a couple of coats.

Bog probably should just use PS. But Colorpencils arent that expensive if you buy them at the right places at the right time. I got a 120 set of prismacolors for 40bucks back in HS and easily maintain it by just replacing pencils here and there.

It does take alot more time, but for someone with shaky hands, or the patience to build up slowly, its a nice medium thats a lot more forgiving than some others, and you can combine it with some paints to nice effect. I'm sure color pencils and large scale photorealism are a pain, but small scale stylized things work well enough that I wouldn't tell people to avoid them. If your color pencils are snapping, they've probably been dropped, which cracks the lead. For me, pastels are better for large work, but harder to needle point if you need to get really tight on something. Its the same choice as between charchol and graphite, you can get good ranges and different effects with both, but you gotta know what you want.

I'm just saying, Personal preferences aren't a solid physical limit on media.

Edit:
    I know everyone has seen this by now, but if I ever buy another desktop, I will not beable to resist doing something like this to it. I want to get into modding so bad, sooo bad. but I have no money.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fugitive wrote: »

Grifter said no such thing!

But I agree.

Wow, I guess the average of you and Iruka is Grifter.

ed: I'm not saying that he shouldn't use colored pencils if he likes them, but rather that no one should like them because they are mean.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    but....Colorpencils told me they loved me and that what we had was special and would last forever.... they cant be mean!

Iruka on
This discussion has been closed.