As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Conjuring] Film

tennosistennosis DrGermanyRegistered User regular
Hey guys,
i really like to hear you opinion about the three conjuring films.

• Options
    AbsentAbsent Registered User regular
    Saw two of them, ignored there was a third one.

I consider them to be excellent traditional ghost movies, with the flaws that it implies. The ghost behaviours only follow the rule of maximum theatricality, which tends to make me laugh at the wrong spots (for instance, the shadow ominously sliding behind the evil nun painting before leaping out, because boo), and, if I remember well (my ghost movies binges tend to merge the films a bit), the story crescendo ends up with the usual climax of people being hurled around the room like ragdolls, which also tends to snap me out of the story. But these are now standard elements of the genre. I would say that the Conjuring films implement them better than most others.

I am ill at ease with the source material, and how it is used. These movies make the apology of a couple of existing (retired) con artists, and this aspect does detract a bit from my enjoyment, like a good scifi movie turning out to make the promotion of an actual cult. I don't think there is much harm at stake here, though, but it nags me on a matter of principle.

Still, I love ghost movies (and the ghost concept in general), and these films were amongst the most efficient ones of these last years. I respect them.