As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oscars Pool '17: Congrats SabreMau! Congrats Moonlight!

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    yeah

wiener-dog ruled

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    was wiener-dog nominated for anything

It won the ASPCA's prestigious Fuck You Award.

Actually, A Dog's Purpose managed to snatch that one out from under it in a last minute upset

I'm not sure A Dog's Purpose has the same level of graphic violence though.

Not on screen, no.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Short Documentaries

4.1 Miles
    About the Mediterranean refugee crisis. Dude looks like a Greek Tom Hanks. It's rough.

Extremis is on Netflix.

Joe's Violin
    About a holocaust survivor donating his violin to a schoolgirl. Doesn't seem that special. It's got an old person in it though.

White Helmets is on Netflix.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I am going to throw a full on fit if Kubo and the Two Strings doesn't win best animated.

You better keep that fit ready to go then.

LOCKED AND LOADED

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I just saw 13th got nominated for feature length documentary; I really hope that wins.

Thinking about just saying fuck it and filling out my predictions tonight since this is the first year in a while where I've only seen 2 of the Best Picture noms (and don't plan on seeing any more because movies are too fucking expensive for me at the moment).

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    I love watching the shorts and listening to the songs. I could never watch all of the nominated films but the short stuff is nice.

Audition (The Fools Who Dream)- La La Land Can't Stop the Feeling - Trolls :? I suggest you just listen to it and avoid watching the video.
    City of Stars- La La Land The Empty Chair- Jim: The James Foley Story I don't know. Sting??
    How Far I'll Go- Moana
    How does the actual voting work? Will La La Land having two songs split its votes? (I'm assuming that people vote for the movie the song was in, rather than the song itself.)

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I love watching the shorts and listening to the songs. I could never watch all of the nominated films but the short stuff is nice.

Audition (The Fools Who Dream)- La La Land Can't Stop the Feeling - Trolls :? I suggest you just listen to it and avoid watching the video.
    City of Stars- La La Land The Empty Chair- Jim: The James Foley Story I don't know. Sting??
    How Far I'll Go- Moana
    How does the actual voting work? Will La La Land having two songs split its votes? (I'm assuming that people vote for the movie the song was in, rather than the song itself.)

you assume wrong, they vote for the song

• Options
    Shit, I forgot to switch my best actress pick from Portman to Stone, but, whatever, maybe the inauguration will make all the old Academy members all nostalgic for a time when the white house wasn't.... what it currently is.

I went mainly by the book, with La La Land winning 8 awards including Best Picture (9 if you add Stone for Best Actress). Only real hopes are Arrival for best adapted screenplay since that script was impressive as hell, especially considering how hard that story must have been to adapt, but everything I've heard about Moonlight makes it sound amazing so I'd be fine with that winning too. 13th for feature doc would be excellent too, but I don't know if it'll be able to knock off OJ. I'm also banking on the olds at the academy being more impressed with creepy CGI Tarkin than the Jungle Book animals.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    i may be in the minority but i really hope cgi peter cushing doesn't get rewarded.

just don't like the lines it crosses

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    i may be in the minority but i really hope cgi peter cushing doesn't get rewarded.

I understand this completely (even if it didn't phase me at all); I just think the academy will eat that shit up.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »

I understand this completely (even if it didn't phase me at all); I just think the academy will eat that shit up.

oh yeah i know

but a man can still hope

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I didn't end up voting for Rogue One, but I would not be surprised if it won on the strength of the space battle alone.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    If you want to change picks just submit a new ballot and I'll delete the old one.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Mel Gibson got a Best Director nod?

Mel Gibson?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    mel gibson is a piece of shit, but he can direct the hell out of a movie

see also: most other directors

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Bringing this back to page 1 because the Oscars are coming soon and I need to remember to do my picks.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yep yep, less than 2 weeks away!

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I did a wrong vote, is it possible to revote or do I just have to live with it? I made two lists (the ones I think will win and the ones I think should win) and accidentally voted my second choice in one of the categories. It doesn't bother me much as my guesses are well, guesses. I wasn't going to be getting a high score anyway.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Just send a new one in, I will only score the most recent one.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I really hope How Far I Go wins because it'd mean Lin-Manuel completes his EGOT and that'd be super rad

He's currently tied with (among others) Trey Parker and Matt Stone for having everything but the Oscar and thats not okay with me

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Less than a week to go, voting La La Land for Visual Effects.

• Options
    The visual effects category is pretty good this year. I think the only one I'd be unhappy with would be Rogue One getting it, not because it didn't have good effects, but because it'd be getting it for one specific effect.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I put in some votes. I have never watched the Oscars and have only seen three of the films mentioned and heard of maybe 4 others.

Feeling pretty confidant :cool:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Hey guys and gals, these are predictions are due in roughly 2 and a half days. So far I have received 11 responses. Since I somehow forgot to mention this in the OP THE WINNER WILL RECEIVE A $50 MOVIE THEATER GIFT CARD TO THE CHAIN OF THEIR CHOICE that allows you to buy e-gift cards.

I'd say plus other stuff but I don't think other pledgers of prizes have been ponying up lately. So, get them in!

EDIT: The form link again just in case

Goose! on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    I have entered my garbage picks. I want Moonlight to win everything but it will never, ever happen.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I have submitted the picks I think that will actually win, rather than the picks that I wish would occur.

So I mean, if I lose the pool, I could very well still be happy.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I entered in a bunch with only a dog in the Animated Film/Special Effects categories and knowledge of just how much Hollywood loves La La Land.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to get my picks in

• Options
    Aww, have to work during the Oscars. Won't get back in until it's all over. And, unlike the last time I made picks here, I can't forum post from work.

That said I'm looking at the pie charts and panicking at more people picking the same nominees that I did. Thought I had a good strategy, but if other people are doing the same thing then I'm less sure of it now. Then again I usually max out at 15 or 16 correct out of 24 anyway.

And looking back at past years, just noticed that the 2010 pool had all the way up to 48 entrants. Not sure if we've passed that mark in other years yet.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    what the heck, I went for it. Haven't seen most of the movies and don't know much about a lot of the categories, but whatever.

My main prediction is that Arrival will be this year's Fury Road and clean up on technical awards even though it's personally my movie of the year.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I'd like Doctor Strange to get technical awards but personally, I doubt it will. Wouldn't be shocked if it pulled it out of a magic hat, though.

And J.K. Simmons didn't get a nomination for his La La Land appearance, I'm disappointed.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    I am going to utterly crush these picks

• Options
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Alright, my vote is in. I've seen a total of three of the nominated movies (in all categories combined) and I've followed barely any buzz, so it's total guesses, but whatever, let's do this.

• Options
    I've only seen Zootopia, Doctor Strange, Moana, and Rogue One. I thought I was only down to seeing a total of two until I went back and counted the nominees and remembered what was in there.

• Options
    just submitted

I haven't felt this confident about my picks in years

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I look forward to getting smacked down because I couldn't bring myself to pick Zootopia over Kubo.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    My picks are in. Time to repeat as champion.

I picked La La Land to win everything. EVERYTHING.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The sad thing is that's not even a bad strategy.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I know they have Best Animated Short locked down.