As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oscars Pool '17: Congrats SabreMau! Congrats Moonlight!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i pick la la land for everything

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    just submitted

I haven't felt this confident about my picks in years

so you just kept writing lala land right

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I've reached the point where the hype has made not want to see La La Land.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The only category I really care about is best song because I want Lin Manuel to EGOT

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Voted.
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    what the heck, I went for it. Haven't seen most of the movies and don't know much about a lot of the categories, but whatever.

My main prediction is that Arrival will be this year's Fury Road and clean up on technical awards even though it's personally my movie of the year.
    Arrival to win every award ever. Because the Heptapods demand it, yesterday. 8-)
    Sadly, 'La La Land' will probably hit a clean sweep on every category it's in. It's good, it's entertaining, but nowhere near the transcendent calibre and quality of 'Arrival' for me.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Warcraft didn't even get a Visual Effects nomination. I thought their computer orcs looked better than Rogue One's computer humans.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I've reached the point where the hype has made not want to see La La Land.

La la land is ok but I will never understand this sentiment

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    So, with all the votes in, looks like I guessed the consensus leader (or tie-for-leader) in every category except three. Went with Hacksaw Ridge over La La Land and Arrival in Sound Editing, Denzel Washington over Casey Affleck in Actor, and The Salesman over Toni Erdmann in Foreign Language.

Normally I just try to look at a bunch of different sites, see who most people are going with and go with that, but had to pick a few slight underdogs that felt close enough that they might catch up. Otherwise you're playing for the tie, and since I don't actually watch these things, I have no sense of how long the show will overrun.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Alright, form is officially closed, here's the link to the predictions: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TEUuF45X5TR507B9-RfTQxysoIGYfTN7kImDyJAwC7k/edit?usp=sharing

The scorecard on the second tab of that link is where I'll be keeping track during the show.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Now that the voting's closed, here's my "I wish these films would win" list.
    Best picture:
    “Moonlight”/runner up: Arrival
    I’m going off “feel” here. My heart says Arrival, that would be cool. But Moonlight just has this feeling to it.
    Lead actor:
    Denzel Washington, “Fences”
    (I don’t think any of the options are great, but Fences and Denzel go together well)
    Lead actress:
    Natalie Portman, “Jackie”
    Supporting actor:
    Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”
    Supporting actress:
    Naomie Harris, “Moonlight”
    I'll be honest, I just like Naomie Harris
    Best director:
    “Arrival,” Denis Villeneuve
    Animated feature:
    “Moana,” John Musker, Ron Clements and Osnat Shurer
    Animated short:
    “Pearl,” Patrick Osborne
    It’s the only one I know anything about
    Adapted screenplay:
    “Fences,” August Wilson
    Original screenplay:
    “20th Century Women,” Mike Mills
    Cinematography:
    “Arrival,” Bradford Young
    Best documentary feature:
    “13th,” Ava DuVernay, Spencer Averick and Howard Barish
    Best documentary short subject:
    “4.1 Miles,” Daphne Matziaraki
    I accidentally put this as my real nom. Whoops. I didn't change it though because I seriously like this short documentary and it ought to win over that Holocaust Violin schmaltz.
    It's about 20mins and you should watch it because it is good.
    4.1 Miles
    Best live action short film:
    “Ennemis Interieurs,” Selim Azzazi
    I have no clue, I chose this one as it was the first.
    Best foreign language film:
    “Land of Mine,” Denmark
    Film editing:
    “Arrival,” Joe Walker
    Sound editing:
    “Arrival,” Sylvain Bellemare
    Sound mixing:
    “13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi,”
    Just for the hell of it.
    Production design:
    “Hail, Caesar!,” Jess Gonchor, Nancy Haigh
    Original score:
    “Moonlight,” Nicholas Britell
    Original song:
    “How Far I’ll Go,” “Moana”
    I didn’t love any of the songs. How Far I’ll Go’s alright
    Makeup and hair:
    “Suicide Squad,” Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and Christopher Nelson
    Crazy enough that it might work.
    Costume design:
    “Allied,” Joanna Johnston
    Visual effects:
    “Kubo and the Two Strings,”
    I have a visceral dislike of Laika, but I’ll give it to them over any of the others.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    @Platypus Beirut thinks the Oscars will run over by six hours?

• Options
    Well, you know, they got more manifestos and grievances to air than usual.

• Options
    @Platypus Beirut thinks the Oscars will run over by six hours?

That checks out

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Six hours, six minutes and six seconds, to be precise

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Y'all gonna feel silly when Ruth Negga winning Lead Actress is what breaks the "everyone picked La La Land for everything" tie

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Why is Dev Patel nominated in the Supporting Actor category

That seems so weird!

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    He's not in the first half of the film, which is about the young version of his character, so it kinda makes sense.

It's probably more about having a better chance in that category than lead actor though

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    I didn't pick La La Land for quite everything, but I did notice that my picks and Bogeys are exactly the same aside from 3 out of 24 categories, and they're the same as YaYa's outside of 5 categories, so I suppose I'll know rather quickly if I'm eliminated.

Actually, do they mention ahead of time in which order they're going to be broadcasting results, or is it a surprise until showtime?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Well, you know, they got more manifestos and grievances to air than usual.

I can't wait for the shit storm of Facebook reactions to politically charged Oscar speeches.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Oops, missed the due date for the predictions.

Anyway, can anyone explain to me why Mahershala Ali is the frontrunner for best supporting actor? Cause his performance was really nothing special. Admittedly I haven't seen the other movies in that category, but still.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Anyway, can anyone explain to me why Mahershala Ali is the frontrunner for best supporting actor? Cause his performance was really nothing special. Admittedly I haven't seen the other movies in that category, but still.

I'm going to guess that it's because stuff like this is subjective as heck and enough other people felt that it was special?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

I am going to put this down as a case of "you're wrong and have bad acting opinions"

I'm not the world's biggest Moonlight fan but Ali's performance was absolutely remarkable

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As the AV Club put it, "You feel his presence even when he’s absent; he casts a shadow over the whole movie, just as his character, Juan, casts a shadow over Chiron. That’s what great supporting performances do."

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Ugh. By the end of tonight, the phrase "Oscar winning film, Suicide Squad" will probably be a thing. :P

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    If Maherashala Ali doesn't win I'm not watching the Oscars next year.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Brogey wrote: »
    Ugh. By the end of tonight, the phrase "Oscar winning film, Suicide Squad" will probably be a thing. :P

La La Land doesn't deserve the category, but I'm willing to let them rob the other films of it if it means Suicide Squad doesn't win.

• Options
    @Goose! Is there a way to see our picks before the Awards start? I'm thinking of changing 2 things for my other pool ballot and want to see how I voted here.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Hidden Fences count: 1

You'd think the random ass white people would have this figured out by now?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Yes, scorecard/answers are there (thanks Gvzbgul).

Alright, I am ready for the Oscars, see you all in 45 minutes. Remember, overrun count starts from the official listed end time (11:30 PM ET) and ends when the credits are done and the screen fades to black).

• Options
    @Gvzbgul Thank you!

• Options
    The Rock's jacket has made watching the red carpet special worthwhile.

• Options
    Yeah, that jacket is great.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I just found out this is only livestreaming if you live in a very select list of certain cities and I am very grumpy about it! There go my plans for the evening

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I wasn't able to fill out my predictions in time, but be sure I would have put Dancin' It's On! down for every category.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I don't normally care about any of the Oscar fashion stuff, but, um, wow

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    So can Justin Timberlake just take over hosting duties?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Goose! wrote: »
    So can Justin Timberlake just take over hosting duties?

only if it means he won't sing that bad song ever again

• Options
    Hopefully Kimmel just outsources every part of the night to somebody who is better than he is.