As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

19596979899101»

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I AM A SUBSTITUTE TEACHER!

I HAVE TO BE NICE TO THESE PEOPLE OR I STOP GETTING GIGS!

Just give him a hug and slip a brochure in his jacket pocket.

He'll thank you next time he's changing caths.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I was around in those heady days of aught-eight

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    What a dick, does he have a masters? Some grand tome he's published on something novel? No? How shocking.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I was around in those heady days of aught-eight

We had to use aught, because the Kaiser stole zero and we couldn't use it any more!

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    "Jimmy Dean! You've changed my life, child. That brochure for pain-free caths is exactly what I needed. I now consider you an equal in every way and would like to offer you a free boat."

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    HoA-player wrote: »
    In Germany there is a legal 11 hour minimum of time off between shifts.

Also a maximal legal amount of works hours (48) during a workweek (mo - sa) with legal maximum of 48 weeks per year. Increases to 60 hours per week, or 10 hours per day, are possible for short periods but total average over the year can't be exceeded.

It is good to have strong unions as a balance to employer interests.

This is beautiful, and I wish our unions were as strong.

I live in the US, in Texas where of course there are no worker protections like that. But! I still work at a union company - for the time being - which means that while it isn't against the rules to have a minimum break between shifts, if management tries to bring someone in with less than 8 hours after their previous shift requires the employee be paid a premium.

We also have no maximums for overtime, but some people really want the extra money involved with the OT. I remember talking with a guy who was hired the same date I was, 10 years ago. He told me at the time he owed over $10,000 in fines and if he didn't pay them in 2 weeks he'd be going to jail. He told the judge if they let him go to work, he'd have the money. He got the money.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    At Lowe's it was not uncommon to leave the store at 11 PM and come back at 5:30 the next morning. If you had a decent manager they'd try to throw in a 10-7 in between to buffer the shock, but they were in no way required or encouraged to.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I've always taken the approach that lying is a sign of bad decisions or management. People always find out about the lie.

Be truthful, but, sugar it up a bit.

I have bad management, and telling clients/contractors that someone is unavailable results in my getting yelled at by them. I'd prefer not to have that.

Work continues to be horrible. Funny how a few months ago I loved it.

Jedoc wrote: »
    At Lowe's it was not uncommon to leave the store at 11 PM and come back at 5:30 the next morning. If you had a decent manager they'd try to throw in a 10-7 in between to buffer the shock, but they were in no way required or encouraged to.

Ugh... I worked At Lowe's for awhile.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

I've always taken the approach that lying is a sign of bad decisions or management. People always find out about the lie.

I have bad management, and telling clients/contractors that someone is unavailable results in my getting yelled at by them. I'd prefer not to have that.

Yeah I have a bad issue with yelling, I just get up and walk away.

Talk to me like an adult or don't talk to me at all.

..I don't do so well dealing with customers, especially if they like to yell, because I just fuck off. Toxic humans get treated like toxic waste.

I'm not judging people who need to lie at work, I just don't personally like to do it!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    A person who starts yelling at the folks paid to answer the phone is just a fucking asshole.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i had a mental breakdown at work today

the stress of caring for my elderly grandmother who doesn't even recognize me any more plus being shackled to a desk for 12 hours while pissant customers moan about it somehow being MY fault that they failed to pay their phone bill on time got a bit much and i had a case of the hairy screaming habdabs

boss has scheduled a mental health risk assessment (lol) and i was allowed to spend the day 'buddying' where i sobbed quietly next to a friend

ps i haven't been paid since the end of january and my £300 redundancy from my previous job (for 4.5 years' service, yeah cheers) still hasn't arrived

i am strongly considering just leaving because i am actually going loopy in a very real way and there's probably a reason why i was accepted for this job without them even asking for a cv

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

I'm sorry it turned out so crummy. Hopefully next time you'll be in less garbage conditions when applying to places. Not to mention you'll have both more schooling and some practical experience on the ol' cv which is sure to help.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.