As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    When you know you have get up early for work, but you're having a discussion with your SO about the troubles of being an HVAC tech in an arcology.

How do you arrive at such a conversation this early in the morning.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I wanna work at Costco.

Seven years isn't too early to start submitting applications right?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Costco's a good company that takes care of its employees and has a CEO who flips off Wall Street when they say he should cut back on benefits for quick profit and such. Go for it.

Anyway, at the clinic, one of the doctors got to feeling pranksterish so she melted down a Hersheys bar, wiped it up with a wad of toilet paper, then stuffed it in a biohazard bag and came to the lab saying that one of her patients dropped off a stool sample. It was so gross looking, somehow rather authentic looking (and the bag helped because otherwise it would smell of chocolate and ruin the impression), and that thing ended up getting circulated around the clinic for hours, left on nurses' desks and that sort of thing.

• Options
    I know, it's why I like them a lot. But it was a facetious post as I've got seven more years before retiring from the Navy.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Ah. Sorry for misunderstanding.

(Sixty days is the cutoff. After that you need to reapply. I applied at Costco after I quit my last terrible job but got my current job instead before the interview.)

• Options
    Good to know!

I'll daydream browse their application website and being a butcher for them seems like it'd be a neat opportunity.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Any New Zealanders have an opinion on Trentham? Seriously looking at a gig there now. Going to call the POC Monday or Tuesday.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    If I had a Costco within reasonable driving distance I'd have applied there in a heartbeat, despite promising myself a long time ago that I would never work retail if I could ever help it.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    If I had a Costco within reasonable driving distance I'd have applied there in a heartbeat, despite promising myself a long time ago that I would never work retail if I could ever help it.

I worked at Costco many moons ago, was a great job at the time and they do treat employees very well. Plus nothin' beats the 1.50 polish lunch.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    Why causal dressed young men wandering around homeless camp, knocking on people's tents to see if anyone's home, then asking if someone wants to make $5?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I put in almost 9 years at Costco. Great company.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Any New Zealanders have an opinion on Trentham? Seriously looking at a gig there now. Going to call the POC Monday or Tuesday.

the horse race course? It's down by Wellington so I've never been but from their website it looks nice? Sorry, not much help I know.

• Options
    I did not expect anyone show up on this shift, and that fart I ripped two hours ago is lingering in the shed.

Oh, hello client technicians.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    i am actually cherishing weekends for a change

next 3 weeks of training i get actual weekends on a 40 hour week, then i start working 12 hour days m/t/x/x/x/s/s and x/x/w/t/f/x/x

Beasteh on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

next 3 weeks of training i get actual weekends on a 40 hour week, then i start working 12 hour days m/t/x/x/x/s/s and x/x/w/t/f/x/x

I can't tell if this is excellent or horrible

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I had an entire 60 person open plan office to myself today and it was glorious. I had mostly good music on the TV instead of the guff that the 'young people' put on, and no one kept pestering me for help with stupid shit that they should already know, it was so nice. Work is pretty OK when you don't have to deal with terrible co-workers.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

I can't tell if this is excellent or horrible

looks like a decent schedule to me

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I used to get to do 4 days in a row then 4 days off. Weekdays were 12 hours, Saturdays 10, and Sundays 6. It was 100% worth it just to get 4 days off so often.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's my ideal schedule. If I'm working 8-5, those last few hours are pretty much useless to me because all I want to do is eat and then go to bed. Whereas every hour of a day off is useful and precious.

Right now I'm on a M-F 8-5 schedule for the first time in my life, and it kind of sucks. Those are the same business hours as most of the establishments I need to run errands at!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

x/x/x?

nice

• Options
    the lewdest off-days

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Starting tomorrow I am 3 to midnight Sunday through Thursday.

It's pretty cool since it means I'll never have to deal with traffic, and I get Friday and Saturday off, so that's awesome.

Sucks because my wife's schedule is all kinds of fucky so there's definitely going to be days where we don't actually really see each other

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

It's pretty cool since it means I'll never have to deal with traffic, and I get Friday and Saturday off, so that's awesome.

Sucks because my wife's schedule is all kinds of fucky so there's definitely going to be days where we don't actually really see each other

I've had that schedule before. It sucked for me at the time because I wasn't married so it meant no social life. Even doing something nerdy online like raiding tended to be difficult as all my guild-mates went to bed much earlier.

I wouldn't mind it now since Strikor and I prefer late nights, anyway.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So I went to put in my 2 weeks notice.

And was told I couldn't cause HR wasn't there and only HR can handle those. HR also won't be in till Monday.

Great, just great. I get the feeling this ends with me fired than allowed to leave.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

And was told I couldn't cause HR wasn't there and only HR can handle those. HR also won't be in till Monday.

Great, just great. I get the feeling this ends with me fired than allowed to leave.

Can you get things written out? E-mails or something?
    Blast an e-mail now, so you have some level of proof that you were trying to leave on good terms.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, a scummy customer steals a coworker's jacket. :(

Coworker looks on video to find out who stole it, and posts pic of thief on local Facebook Rant & Rave page. :P

Thief is identified and sheepishly returns jacket, with an extra forty bucks in the pocket as a "Please don't report me to the police" incentive. :D

Co worker and manager get written up fo violating our social media guidlines. Apparently we are not allowed to post anything about work. Ever. :?

• Options

Blast an e-mail now, so you have some level of proof that you were trying to leave on good terms.

Its a retail job at Target. I dont have the email addresses of my HR leads.

The way I see it, I'm not going back there, have zero intrest in retail, and it may actually help me start my new job (as they have me working till 10 and 11 pm and this new job is 7 am to 3 pm. More time to get my sleep adjusted the better). If they want to be dicks, well it sucks to lose a good refrence but I tried.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Coworker looks on video to find out who stole it, and posts pic of thief on local Facebook Rant & Rave page. :P

Thief is identified and sheepishly returns jacket, with an extra forty bucks in the pocket as a "Please don't report me to the police" incentive. :D

Co worker and manager get written up fo violating our social media guidlines. Apparently we are not allowed to post anything about work. Ever. :?

That last part is why I don't list my employment or even post about work on facebook.

Or even hangout with co-workers outside of work even though I'd really like to. Gotta maintain that professional barrier and deniability.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I just realized I've talked to a lot of people who have been dead within a week. Don't talk to me, you might die.

Anyway, new job update: things are going well. On week 6/12 of orientation. Seen some procedures/patients I'd never see at other hospitals I've worked. It's difficult working at a teaching hospital though, in regards to working with new doctors. I've been told to get ready for July, when their new semester starts and you have to keep an eye out for weird ass orders. My previous work places have been in poor areas with a lot of meth/crazy people, and co-workers seemed impressed with how well I handle them. I guess they can be intimidating for a lot of people, but whatever crazies are like an every day thing for me.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    i would never state my place of work on social media because as soon as you do that you are personally responsible for anything you post, anything defamatory/otherwise inappropriate WILL be seen, WILL get back to your company, and they WILL take it all the way legally

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    i would never state my place of work on social media because as soon as you do that you are personally responsible for anything you post, anything defamatory/otherwise inappropriate WILL be seen, WILL get back to your company, and they WILL take it all the way legally

Yeah, also I say a lot of dumb shit online and I'm sure some people out there really don't like me and are crazy enough to call into my work place.

Yesterday I posted something on facebook saying "Don't leave shit in your car, this is X city not fairyland." I'm sure there is some HR person out there with nothing better than to do with their time than get offended that I besmirched the good name of our city and wants to take it all the way up to the CEO.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I bitched about work through a math equation and a coworker snitched.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

I've had that schedule before. It sucked for me at the time because I wasn't married so it meant no social life. Even doing something nerdy online like raiding tended to be difficult as all my guild-mates went to bed much earlier.

I wouldn't mind it now since Strikor and I prefer late nights, anyway.

Yeah I'm hoping after this week it won't be a huge adjustment. This week is gonna be rough since it's my first week working that shift and also my wife's shift is super fucky this week.

But otherwise holy shit this job is so good you guys.
    Weaver wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

That last part is why I don't list my employment or even post about work on facebook.

Or even hangout with co-workers outside of work even though I'd really like to. Gotta maintain that professional barrier and deniability.

I only ever list previous employment on fb. Ever. My mom even asked why I hadn't even mentioned the new job yet, and I told her I didn't really intend to.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

The way I see it, I'm not going back there, have zero intrest in retail, and it may actually help me start my new job (as they have me working till 10 and 11 pm and this new job is 7 am to 3 pm. More time to get my sleep adjusted the better). If they want to be dicks, well it sucks to lose a good refrence but I tried.

Don't play their game. You've got a team lead or something who told you that bullshit policy right? Send something to them, anything, that proves the date. Be polite in it but get it documented. Something like:

"I just wanted to thank you for great work experience at <foo>. After I told my direct supervisor Bob that I was giving my two weeks notice he told me that 2 week notices have to be handled by HR so I'll get right on that but I wanted to take a moment and thank you."

Or something stupid like that. A company that big is basically only going to confirm your work dates for references though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I just realized I've talked to a lot of people who have been dead within a week. Don't talk to me, you might die.

Anyway, new job update: things are going well. On week 6/12 of orientation. Seen some procedures/patients I'd never see at other hospitals I've worked. It's difficult working at a teaching hospital though, in regards to working with new doctors. I've been told to get ready for July, when their new semester starts and you have to keep an eye out for weird ass orders. My previous work places have been in poor areas with a lot of meth/crazy people, and co-workers seemed impressed with how well I handle them. I guess they can be intimidating for a lot of people, but whatever crazies are like an every day thing for me.

Oh lord, ED residents, have fun with that! Now you get to save patients from whatever brought them in and stupid providers. Not saying that about all residents of course(truth be told the vast majority are wonderful), but damn, a few of them are so bad you never forget it. Prepare your responses in advance like "insertname this person has a history of CHF, multiple stents and an EF of 20% per chart review, giving them fluids might not be the best idea" or "This patient is narc naive and 70 pounds wet, 2mg of dilaudid stat is going to put them into respiratory arrest".

I still remember some asshole resident that put in a central line then threw his bloody gloves at the trashcan I was standing next to, he hit me with the gloves in the chest. This was an IVDA patient with every conceivable blood-borne pathogen too. rrrrrgararagh. Still pisses me off to this day.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular

Don't play their game. You've got a team lead or something who told you that bullshit policy right? Send something to them, anything, that proves the date. Be polite in it but get it documented. Something like:

"I just wanted to thank you for great work experience at <foo>. After I told my direct supervisor Bob that I was giving my two weeks notice he told me that 2 week notices have to be handled by HR so I'll get right on that but I wanted to take a moment and thank you."

Or something stupid like that. A company that big is basically only going to confirm your work dates for references though.

He might not have access to email, depending on his position. You're right about the work dates though, if you can't do it through proper channels I'd just make sure to do right by your coworkers and let the chips fall where they may.

• Options
    Bottom of the chain floor/cashier position. I dont have access to email.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Hence my comment of I do work at the hell known to men as it's bad for a normal store and has toxic managers

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wILFddYxKOM

Last day is tomorrow. I will mostly be out-processing by collecting signatures, cleaning out my desk, and bidding the tire fire farewell before I head home to gather together whatever I consider essential. Tuesday I pack up the essentials in the car, drive to a job interview, and then afterwards drive to parents house where I'll be staying until I have a new place in Lancaster. Then on Wednesday I start my new job.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My phone did a bitflip in the filepath to my music folder. It then decided to delete all the mp3's in my music folder, presumably for DRM reasons? I don't really know.

What I do know is I've had to go through the entire day without any access to my music.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.