As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Muslim Ban] and other Trump immigration policies and actions

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

some pics from the protest at JFK. "Screw the racists and the boat they came in on" is just damning in its accuracy. bravo that man.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    I'm just afraid that they wind up letting people in (unless there's a legit reason not to), and then the issue winds up being plowed under by more Trump terribleness... Because lets face it, there is almost certainly more coming.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I'm just afraid that they wind up letting people in (unless there's a legit reason not to), and then the issue winds up being plowed under by more Trump terribleness... Because lets face it, there is almost certainly more coming.

That'll be par for the course, but that just means there's more to protest on. That's the good thing about having diverse interest groups with solidarity with one another, we can have all kinds of protests about all the bad stuff, we're not a monolithic entity that can only focus on one issue at a time.

The issue is for the Democrats to link up with all of those groups, let them now they are important, and get them integrated in the turnout operation, because that's how you reach out in the peer-to-peer age of social media.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    CSPAN has a twitter feed that collects tweets from every member of congress.

It's not hard to tell which party any given Rep belongs to, today.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    CSPAN has a twitter feed that collects tweets from every member of congress.

It's not hard to tell which party any given Rep belongs to, today.

Tammy Duckworth is great:
    As a child, I witnessed the refugee crisis borne out of people fleeing the Khmer Rouge and Pathet Lao in SE Asia with my own eyes
    I’m proud our nation took in refugees then, but I'm motivated by the knowledge we could have done much, much more
    The Statue of Liberty isn’t engraved w/ do not enter signs. It says, "give me your tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to be free"
    The America I know does not slam its doors on families & children fleeing terror. Giving into fear is not an action of strong country
    POTUS EO will weaken our national security & tell a generation simply seeking safety that America is at war with them.

MrMister on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I found a high-quality stream on Facebook of the JFK protest

"Fuck the wall, we'll tear it down"

Not a bad chant

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I donated $50 to the ACLU. Again.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    kedinik wrote: »
    I found a high-quality stream on Facebook of the JFK protest

"Fuck the wall, we'll tear it down"

Not a bad chant
    "Why are you in riot gear? I don't see no riot here"

"no registry, fuck white supremacy"

Good stuff

Kaputa on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    On the bright side this action at least seems to have finally really energized the Democrats in Congress.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

hopefully this goes beyond a tweet and becomes actual policy. all nations should be opening their arms to those displaced and turned away by America.

I think this might be the most proud I've ever been of a Canadian politician.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    News just played Trump "defending" this cruelty. I yelled at the TV.

I didn't know about the JFK protests until too late. I have an old friend from college who is a lawyer now coming over as well as others; i feel bad for not being there. I am so worn to shreds. I am so touched and happy and proud to see how many people are at JFK

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    oh they're blocking the road now

edit - "SHUT. IT. DOWN."

Kaputa on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    There is a protest in Seattle tomorrow at 5pm. It doesn't feel like it will be of much help, but I don't know what else I can do so I will be attending.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Posted in the Trump thread, but the New York Taxi Workers Alliance is not picking anyone up at JFK for an hour. Started at 6 PM Eastern.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Posted in the Trump thread, but the New York Taxi Workers Alliance is not picking anyone up at JFK for an hour. Started at 6 PM Eastern.

Oh shit, that is going to shut JFK the fuck down.

edit: because that sounded kinda sarcastic upon re-reading. I'm not joking. Taxis are a huge chunk of the egress traffic from JFK.

Orca on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Sacca started out by saying he'd match up to $25k.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

edit: because that sounded kinda sarcastic upon re-reading. I'm not joking. Taxis are a huge chunk of the egress traffic from JFK.

This makes me wonder if you could get pilots on board for a strike.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I'd like the opposite - for pilots and airlines to let people through.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I'd like the opposite - for pilots and airlines to let people through.

Bah, you're right. I was thinking "why shut down just one airport when you shut them all down" but yeah. Maybe if it were domestic flights only...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    As far as I know, it's legal for airline personnel to strike. Letting people not cleared by security onto the plane is a huge deal, though.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

The NYTWA has a lot of Muslim members they point out in their statement. Less true of pilots. Especially the ones that are retired Air Force.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So the thing about dystopian futures and the like (cyberpunk, shadowrun, blade runner) is that the government is ineffectual because the corporations make the decisions, have private armies, and basically are unregulated. They do not care about anything, except for that which makes them more money.

Now, there's two ways that can go - either you support a megacorp or you don't. And either mechanism can be used en masse to show a corp what will build more profits in the future. Right now, the corps have cover because the executive is doing this unilaterally, and without cover. If the corps and donors are hurt, they'll be the ones who can push back. That's why doing things like fucking with H1B visas is such a big deal.

In other words - if a corp does good and resists this, support them. If they don't, or are indifferent, don't. They will be the ones who can move the government until our chance to vote returns.

(That's why protesting and resisting is so important - it sends signals of how people will act.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I like the idea of disrupting the airports to the point of inactivity. Needed to travel for work? Sorry, banned. On vacation? Banned.

Kaputa on
  • Options
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Sometimes it's hard to understand how the same 23 pairs of chromosomes that produced a vile carrot tanned goblin like Trump can also produce millions of people who possess compassion, kindness and intent. Way to go NYC.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Internationally, confusion turned to panic as travelers found themselves unable to board flights bound for the United States. In Dubai and Istanbul, airport and immigration officials turned passengers away at boarding gates and, in at least one case, ejected a family from a flight they had boarded.

Seyed Soheil Saeedi Saravi, a promising young Iranian scientist, had been scheduled to travel in the coming days to Boston, where he had been awarded a fellowship to study cardiovascular medicine at Harvard, according to Thomas Michel, the professor who was to supervise the research fellowship.

But Professor Michel said the visas for the student and his wife had been indefinitely suspended.

“This outstanding young scientist has enormous potential to make contributions that will improve our understanding of heart disease, and he has already been thoroughly vetted,” Professor Michel wrote to The New York Times.

no hypotheticals about previous fields medal winners required

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2016/03/17/study-immigrants-founded-51-of-u-s-billion-dollar-startups/

51%

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Edit

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    C3Sq3-NUoAAnSCM.jpg:large

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Where is that from?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-bannon-flattered-and-coaxed-trump-on-policies-key-to-the-alt-right/2016/11/15/53c66362-ab69-11e6-a31b-4b6397e625d0_story.html?utm_term=.9eda914be27b

athenor

key to note while reading this is just how utterly incapable trump is of dealing with even mildly skillful manipulation

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

I don't get many opportunities to say this but

I'm p proud to be a New Yorker tonight

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Thanks. Looks like I've hit a paywall, though.

I should chip in and get a digital subscription.

• Options
    https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/trumps-immigration-ban-illegal

even the cato institute has more spine than entire gop

bizarre

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Thanks. Looks like I've hit a paywall, though.

I should chip in and get a digital subscription.

I got a WaPo subscription thru amazon prime when Fahrenthold was doing all the great reporting on Trump's charity bullshit back in september/October. Been thinking about getting a NYT or local one as well. Collectively they screwed the pooch in 2016, but we need a functioning press and I feel like we are going to see a lot of NYT v United States style cases pretty soon.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

bizarre

that cold day in hell where i find myself agreeing with the cato institute

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

I just straight up wept. I don't know why this, of all things, is what set me off, considering I attended the Women's March in London last week, but this sort of raw, immediate and spontaneous compassion is one of the more hopeful and human things I've witnessed in a long time.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    looks like the protest at JFK is being broken up. another protest will be held at Battery Park, 2PM tomorrow.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

bizarre

This is more meaningful than you might think. The Kochs took over Cato a few years back - if they're in opposition, then the money people are not happy with this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    there's a twitter thread listing numerous protests of the Muslim Ban. includes those that have/are happening today, and more scheduled for tomorrow. just posting the first tweet, that should get you to the rest and let you find something near you.

This discussion has been closed.