As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] 2016 should have been two hours long

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Dogg you should probably not stress out about what an internet wrestle man is or is not watching

Why does everyone think I stress out at stuff like this? Nah, I'm just incredulous about someone being that whiny on a wrestling match.

Because that's how your posts read

They do? I wrote "pfft" as basically rolling my eyes. Trust me I don't stress at stuff Alvarez and Meltzer do.

i mean if that's the case, and hear me out

then why post it at all

It interested me as I've never read about anyone actually doing it on the Observer level.

Bryan and Vinny went a month without watching TNA once. Stuff like this has happened (even from other podcasts like LAW) and not been discussed because it's okay for someone to not watch something, regardless of whether they're being paid

*sighs wistfully, imagines being paid to not watch TNA*

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    wirehead

I'm just gonna gently point out you've been talking about the Shane/AJ "match" at Mania which so far as I know isn't even a confirmed thing but is rather a DIRTSHEETZ thing for like

at least a month

like you originally started talking about THE SHEETZ rumoring about AJ/Shane back in mid-January and you bring it up pretty much every time AJ comes up or the WWE does anything with AJ

you are not super happy about this conceptual maybe match you read on the internet and have expressed a dim view of this idea many a time

and I am not actually disagreeing with you on this viewpoint, to be completely clear

but it is not even necessarily a thing that may happen, and if it happens it may or may not be bad

mayhaps the reason people sometimes characterize you as overly negative is stuff like this

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    AJ v Shane'll be fine. Maybe even good. Possibly great, even.

At best it will be fine. But Styles should have an opponent he can have a great match with.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Turambar wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Dogg you should probably not stress out about what an internet wrestle man is or is not watching

Why does everyone think I stress out at stuff like this? Nah, I'm just incredulous about someone being that whiny on a wrestling match.

Because that's how your posts read

They do? I wrote "pfft" as basically rolling my eyes. Trust me I don't stress at stuff Alvarez and Meltzer do.

i mean if that's the case, and hear me out

then why post it at all

For the same reason any of us post anything.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    AJ Styles did a Q&A panel at Wizard World Portland on Friday night and talked about his time in TNA. Styles was asked a variety of questions from fans and the moderator in a couple of them he touched upon his run in TNA.

Talking about his time after TNA and before WWE, he said, “Ring of Honor treated me real well, and New Japan treated me like a superstar. So I’ve got to give credit to them, who helped boost my ego a little bit because it was definitely flattened due to TNA’s service. But then — doing all that and then having the opportunity to come to WWE and…you know, whether people like it or not, WWE is easy, the biggest — you know, when it comes to wrestling, it doesn’t get any bigger than the WWE. And being there means you’ve finally made it.”

Styles was later asked by the moderator in regard to his match with Christopher Daniels and Samoa Joe at TNA Unbreakable whether he ever thought he and Joe would be in WWE ten years later and said, “Well, at that time Joe and I were hoping to make TNA a big deal. You know, that was what we wanted to do. The problem was, the person who owned the company, she didn’t see that in us. She didn’t see us as the stars that put TNA on the map and not just me but like, Jerry Lynn and Christopher Daniels, and Low Ki, all those guys who did great things and she just didn’t see it. Go put it bluntly, she wanted to be WWE-lite and nobody wanted to see that. They wanted to see something different. And at one point in time, it was a great place to work.”

“But I can tell you this,” he added. “I am certainly happy with [making it] to WWE. It is thus far head and shoulders over any other place I’ve ever worked.”

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

At best it will be fine. But Styles should have an opponent he can have a great match with.

I'm not unconvinced that AJ won't be able to have a good match with anyone on the roster. AJ v Taker, AJ v Mark Henry, AJ v Big Show...

I don't think I've ever hated a Shane match except for Shane v Taker, and really that's more the fault of Taker's immobile ass.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Like, in general, and this is just a suggestion and bit of advice and not a command or anything...

Maybe chill out with giving so much a shit what people like Meltzer or Alvarez or Stroud or Reddit or the rest of the EYE DUBYA CEE thinks about wrestling?

Do they share your opinions? No? Are they people you can actually argue with about those opinions you disagree with? No? Then who gives a shit?

I love wrestling, I genuinely do, but dirtsheetz are bad and have always been bad, they are especially bad when it's stuff like DA MELTZ SAYS THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE TAKER DO THE JOB FOR ROMAN AT MANIA.

Who fuckin cares, Dave.

Imagine if we treated comic books or movies or TV shows this way. Oh, wait we don't have to, because people do shit like that.

"According to this TheTalReview.com, Marvel is considering having Captain America get MURDERED by Thanos in Infinity War Pt. 1"

Those sites exist, they're shit websites like Latino Review and Ain't It Cool and people who spend too much time deep diving on that shit do so at their own peril and it's generally noxious to the forum. Speculation garbage is just that, garbage.

It's one thing to report on genuine injuries, contract signings, suspensions, etc. That's news, and that's fine to share. It's also okay to share a personal opinion, like "I don't like Green Eggs and Roman Reigns", or individually speculate or anticipate on things you personally hope/dread happen, like "I hope that Kevin Owens doesn't drop the belt to Goldberg, putting belts on part-timers sucks"

But handwringing about Dave Meltzer's speculation, or theoretical matches that Bryan Alvarez (isn't really) going to boycott? Nobody wants that, and you shouldn't either! It's unhealthy!

If you disagree with something someone says on Reddit, or some opinion Bryan Alvarez has, go take it up with them. If you can't or aren't interested, what do you think the odds are we are, especially if you yourself think it's an awful and dumb opinion they have? It's like putting your finger in something stinky and going "Hey guys, smell this, isn't it gross?" Nobody wants to smell your gross finger! Wash your hands, dude, and stop touching the stinky parts of the internet! Dang!

This is why I gave you the "Vince Challenge", wirehead. It wasn't because I thought you talked about Vince like every three posts. You didn't. Objectively, you didn't. It's because I wanted to sorta ween you off a specific kind of negative speculation you do, where you pointlessly handwring about shit you can't possibly know or do anything about for no specifically good reason, based on information you obtain from dirtsheets and your own conception of what dudes like Vince and Trips are like, and it brings the thread down.

To be clear, you're not the only person who does this, which is why this post is public and not a PM. There are other people who do this, to varying degree. And I'm sure there are some people who disagree with some or all of the things I've said here, and that's fine. It's an opinion and advice, it's not WRESTLELAW, and people are free to tell me to blow it out my ugly ass.

But maybe food for thought? Like maybe give up dirtsheets for lent or something, see if it makes you happier.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Here's the thing with wrestling rumors. First, take them with more than a couple grains of salt. Plans change and sometimes stuff's just flat wrong. Second, take them with an open mind. If you decide a match is going to suck two months in advance, you're just going to hate it no matter what happens. Remember how everyone was baffled by Orton winning the Rumble? That seems to be working out well so far. For as much shit as we give them, occasionally WWE's writers know what they're doing.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    i'm gonna fight shane at mania

i'll be there

come fight me you fancy footed asshole!!!!

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

I'm not unconvinced that AJ won't be able to have a good match with anyone on the roster. AJ v Taker, AJ v Mark Henry, AJ v Big Show...

I don't think I've ever hated a Shane match except for Shane v Taker, and really that's more the fault of Taker's immobile ass.

He can have a good match with those people, but I don't want a good AJ match I want to see the great matches he can have.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    crwth stop stealing my gimmick

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    it's an homage

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    crw "fake sting" th

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Holy cap that rant was longer than all of wirehead's posts combined.

• Options
    AJ you need to focus on the real challenge of the weekend, the biggest spotlight, the moment you've waited your whole life for

Fighting Glacier

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

He can have a good match with those people, but I don't want a good AJ match I want to see the great matches he can have.

Dude's not gonna die at Wrestlemania 33. There's years of great AJ matches coming.

It's fine. AJ v Shane is fine.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Sprout wrote: »
    Here's the thing with wrestling rumors. First, take them with more than a couple grains of salt. Plans change and sometimes stuff's just flat wrong. Second, take them with an open mind. If you decide a match is going to suck two months in advance, you're just going to hate it no matter what happens. Remember how everyone was baffled by Orton winning the Rumble? That seems to be working out well so far. For as much shit as we give them, occasionally WWE's writers know what they're doing.

Well Orton winning being good is mostly due to him wrestling Bray and maybe also Harper at Mania.

If it were anyone else other than them or Styles it'd probably be a lot worse.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    crw "fake sting" th

aj takes off an aj mask to reveal he's just aj underneath and then he kicks my ass

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Wirehead I can punch Meltzer in the face for you tomorrow if you want.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    And I'm really going to be disappointed if AJ isn't the one to send Cena on his 6 month break.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Nirya wrote: »

Isn't he a pretty big guy though

Besides I don't have an issue with him

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

Isn't he a pretty big guy though

Besides I don't have an issue with him

Look I just want to make you feel better alright?

Also anyone who has ever met me can attest that I am v big and v strong.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    And I'm really going to be disappointed if AJ isn't the one to send Cena on his 6 month break.

This is exactly the problem, man. It's fine to have your own fantasy booking. Hell, it's great. It's something we all do. The issue is when you feel like your fantasy booking is the way a thing HAS to be or it's going to suck.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

What Sucks is so many people will hate it if it plays out how they expect OR if it doesn't. And I'm not blaming each individual, they're sort of not in control of how they react. But they can avoid the spoilers and thus the expectations

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

This is exactly the problem, man. It's fine to have your own fantasy booking. Hell, it's great. It's something we all do. The issue is when you feel like your fantasy booking is the way a thing HAS to be or it's going to suck.

Well I just think Styles beating Cena again will give him a good boost.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    crwth wrote: »
    crw "fake sting" th

aj takes off an aj mask to reveal he's just aj underneath and then he kicks my ass

finally a main event wrestlemania deserves

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Styles doesn't need to beat Cena again, but I do think it's the best option for a last Cena match before his break.

• Options
    Schide wrote: »
    Holy cap that rant was longer than all of wirehead's posts combined.

listen

being longwinded is my gimmick and it has been for over ten years of posting on this forum

• Options
    I'm too lazy to post that long without C&P

• Options

Why would AJ need a boost? He was WWE Champion in his first year in the company. The live crowds adore him and the Internet smarks venerate him. AJ gon' be ok, son.

• Options

Why would AJ need a boost? He was WWE Champion in his first year in the company. The live crowds adore him and the Internet smarks venerate him. AJ gon' be ok, son.

It would mean one more great AJ vs Cena match.

• Options
    AJ you need to focus on the real challenge of the weekend, the biggest spotlight, the moment you've waited your whole life for

Fighting Glacier

god i'm just booked everywhere lately

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    But yeah, Styles will be fighting either Randy, Bray, or Harper after Mania regardless.

Or all three.

• Options
    i was shocked Glacier was even still alive

my default assumption is if I haven't heard about a wrestler in over 10 years, they're actually dead, given that the average life expectancy of a professional wrestler is 40

• Options
    actually he'll be fighting me in a rehash of the big t/booker t feud

we'll be fighting over who gets to be called aj

and be in harlem heat

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

and be in harlem heat

Where will Clarence Mason be

• Options

and be in harlem heat

Where will Clarence Mason be

david otunga will play the role of the wrestlelawyer in this rehash

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I would watch AJ beat Styles, but I'll be too busy waiting to read the best AJ (Lee)'s new book, available April 4

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    i was shocked Glacier was even still alive

my default assumption is if I haven't heard about a wrestler in over 10 years, they're actually dead, given that the average life expectancy of a professional wrestler is 40

yo lemme once again talk about how seeing glacier live at king of trios 2009 is still the best wrestling experience of my life

and i went to a wcw spring breakout!!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Glacier was a surprise entrant in the 2015 DragonCon wrestling show main event battle royal in Atlanta.

It was a great moment live.

wirehead26 on
This discussion has been closed.